ME ME - Portland, Fore River, AsianFem 30-50, UP15135, tattooed brows, $500, 'Bride' sweatshirt, May'15

Commenting now to do more research later.

Could she be Hyungjun Park? From Connecticut, last seen in NYC, lost her cell phone and was heading to the Korean Consulate but doesn't seem to have ever made it. This was in 2001, however.

I partly grew up in Vermont, close to Maine, similar climate. I don't find it at all unusual that she would be dressed warmly for May unless the weather there was warm at the time. Mays there in my experience can really run the gamut from really hot to really cold. A couple times it snowed in May! What I do find more of note is the layering of shirts. This makes me think more along the lines of poverty and possible human trafficking.

Not a lot of Asians in New England (believe me, I was one at one time lol) so she would have stood out.

I am confused about the suicide verdict.

I partly grew up in Vermont, close to Maine, similar climate. I don't find it at all unusual that she would be dressed warmly for May unless the weather there was warm at the time. Mays there in my experience can really run the gamut from really hot to really cold. A couple times it snowed in May! What I do find more of note is the layering of shirts. This makes me think more along the lines of poverty and possible human trafficking.

Not a lot of Asians in New England (believe me, I was one at one time lol) so she would have stood out.

I am confused about the suicide verdict.
Plus it's freezing cold out on the Atlantic, even in the middle of summer. I needed a winter coat to cross to Yarmouth, NS, but didn't know to bring one, so I couldn't stay on deck because it was winter-like, even in the middle of July with the sun out. So if she were on a cruise ship, which is what I think investigators thought, even for an evening cruise or day cruise, she'd have wanted to bundle up.
Plus, I don't know if you've ever been to the Old Port in Portland, but there's only a rope between you walking on the sidewalk and falling into the ocean.

Plus it's freezing cold out on the Atlantic, even in the middle of summer. I needed a winter coat to cross to Yarmouth, NS, but didn't know to bring one, so I couldn't stay on deck because it was winter-like, even in the middle of July with the sun out. So if she were on a cruise ship, which is what I think investigators thought, even for an evening cruise or day cruise, she'd have wanted to bundle up.
Plus, I don't know if you've ever been to the Old Port in Portland, but there's only a rope between you walking on the sidewalk and falling into the ocean.
Agree with this. I've been on ferries in East Coast Canada in summer and needed big winter coats! Even if it's not super cold on land, it can get super cold at sea. You would need more than a sweatshirt to be comfortable IMO. Here on the West Coast, my birthplace and current residence, I find there's much less weather variance. Cooler summers, far less harsh winters, it's still cold at sea but not as much.

1672205742594.png

3 ruleouts in Namus (one is duplicated on the list).

No movement in her GEDMatch numbers on the DDP spreadsheet - her top match has been 66.5cM since January 2021 and she only 3 matches total that are over 20cM. Let's hope someone in her family got a DNA kit for Xmas and uploads their results.

@ipa have you turned in Ling Jhung Zheng as a possibility?

Just a reminder that the DNA Doe Project is currently involved in the case.
I'm not familiar with the DNA Doe project. Can you give me a real quick overview, please? Do they try to match through GedMatch the DNA is the missing to family? TIA

I'm not familiar with the DNA Doe project. Can you give me a real quick overview, please? Do they try to match through GedMatch the DNA is the missing to family? TIA
DNA Doe Project is a charity that does volunteer-based genetic genealogy for John/Jane Does. It was founded in 2017 by OG genetic genealogists Dr. Margaret Press and Dr. Colleen Fitzpatrick, and has solved several dozen John/Jane Doe cases to date. (I'm not sure of the exact number--some are pending announcement or confirmation) DDP raises funds for specific Does' remains to be sent to external labs, where a DNA profile is extracted and developed into a GEDCOM file. Then DDP's volunteers use that GEDCOM file for genetic genealogy. They use GEDMatch, and in certain cases, FamilyTreeDNA as well; all other genetic genealogy databases are closed to law-enforcement use, which includes John/Jane Doe identification.

The actual genetic genealogy works similarly to an adoptee trying to find their biological family. The volunteers use the genetic family trees of each match (or build the trees if they're unknown) then try to link them together and identify potential family members who could be the Doe. John/Jane Doe profiles on GEDMatch are marked "research" and can't be seen by others, but the manager of the file can see all matches. I'm not sure how the FTDNA profiles work but they're likely similar. Sometimes DDP volunteers contact close matches to inquire about their genetic family--missing relatives, adoptions, etc.

The DDP website shows all of their cases so far, sorted into identified, active, and pending. A volunteer also maintains a spreadsheet of their active cases, plus quantity and quality of each case's matches.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back