Identified! ME - Stacyville, WhtMale 40-60, UP8812, 'Chris' knitted cap, Nov'10 - Christopher Roof

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Kimster, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Sine

Sine Member

The 10th anniversary of the discovery of this *still* unidentified individual has just passed. I live in central Maine and remember hearing about it when he was first discovered. I know this thread is old and dormant but I wanted to post a few thoughts and resources in case anyone is still paying attention.

The NamUs GPS coordinates for the UID are indeed about a mile west of ME-11 as noted in some of the reporting. ME-11 here is the eastern boundary of a big working forest that stretches about 9 miles west to the East Branch of the Penobscot and Sebois Rivers, another natural boundary to anyone on foot (Lunksoos Camp on the East Branch is where Donn Fendler’s famous journey concluded). Happy Corner Road is another boundary just under 2 miles north of UID’s location. The entire expanse of forest is carved up by logging roads and ATV trails. To get a sense of how the UID could have entered the area, I tried mapping out the major trail intersections along ME-11 and Happy Corner that were not obviously driveways to homes or farms. I can’t say that this mapping effort led me to any great conclusions. It seems likely that UID entered the woods somewhere off of ME-11, perhaps as far south as the powerline at Stacyville or the Katahdin High School campus. There is a footbridge across the West Branch Molunkus Stream at the school. He was eventually found just to the west of a branch of this stream further north. There are a couple logging/farm road bridges that could have put him west of the stream, too.

He could have come from the north and the Patten area but it just seems so much more likely he’d have come from the I-95 interchange area in Sherman, five miles as the crow flies from his final location. I do notice that there is a scenic outlook pull-off just 1.25 miles from his location that could also have been a drop-off point (it was also there in 2010).

Reporting states that the UID had been there for the “past two months,” and “since September,” and then, later, that he had died “months before.” The PMI recorded in NamUs, however, is a (oddly?) precise 26 days. If that is accurate, it puts UID’s death around Saturday, October 9, 2010.

This makes more sense to me given the clothing described. I looked up the temperature and precipitation history from the NOAA station in Millinocket for September 2010 - November 4, 2010 (attached PDF). September that year came in blistering hot with high temps topping 90 degree F the first four days of the month. Only two lows that month dipped below 40 degrees F (9/18 & 9/19). October brought lows in the upper 20s and lower 30s and highs mostly below 60 F. UID’s clothing indicates at least some sort of layering system: long sleeve shirt base layer, sweater in bag, worn coat, knit hat. This and the contents of the bag, hydration and insect repellent, feel to me like obvious choices for a brief casual day hike made by a somewhat inexperienced individual, perhaps expecting to be out during the early and/or late part of the day when temps swing.

The advanced state of decomposition described, though, sure seems to my uneducated understanding of these things to be longer than 26 days. No hands? Ok, animal activity maybe? The pictures of his clothes on NamUs show everything totally soaked like he was found in standing water and his location as documented in NamUs sure seems like a boggy/swampy area. Does that speed up decomposition?

A few unorganized thoughts:
    • The Vineyard Vines outlet in Freeport, Maine didn’t open until the summer of 2011
    • The Vineyard Vines brand was only about 12 years old in 2010
    • The only people I observe wearing Vineyard Vines shirts in central Maine in 2020 are preppy young college guys
    • This individual was not dressed like a local. As others have noted, maybe he was dressed like someone from southern Maine, a summer (summah!) person, or someone else from away.
    • St. John’s Bay clothing is indeed the store brand of JCPenny
    • JCP sells High Sierra brand luggage (at least in 2020)
    • JCP sells New Balance shoes (at least in 2020)
    • New Balance shoes “made in the USA,” like the UID’s, are made in five facilities in Maine and Massachusetts (at least in 2020)
    • There is a New Balance factory store in Skowhegan, Maine and it existed in 2010
    • Blue & white (like UID’s knit cap) high school athletics colors in the area (may be others):
    • There is a motel and convenience store right near the I-95 interchange in Sherman and both appear to have been there in 2010

Attached Files:

2. DS2021

DS2021 Active Member

This case is truly baffling
    I wonder if this person is even in NAMUS's missing persons database

YaYa_521 and carbuff like this.
  3. Alleykins

Alleykins Well-Known Member

Could be, but if the missing person doesn't have the same identifiers as the unidentified remains, there's no way to make a comparison. Plus, there's a chance the John Doe may be from Canada, being found so close to the border, which would make identification more difficult. Not impossible, just harder.

YaYa_521 and carbuff like this.
  4. DS2021

DS2021 Active Member

Do we think the Chris Hat was a red herring?

YaYa_521 likes this.
  5. Alleykins

Not a red herring in that someone deliberately stuck it on his head to throw investigators off should he be found. I think the hat could have been picked yard sale or thrift store, or is secondhand, and the MP didn't care it wasn't his name or didn't have the mental capacity to know it or care. Or it could be his, and he's never been reported missing. Something about this case makes me think this person either had dementia, mental illness, or diminished mental capacity.

YaYa_521, Sine, carbuff and 1 other person like this.
  6. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

I agree, I have the same impression. I'm thinking a Vietnam veteran with Post-Traumatic Stress, probably homeless. Don't know why I think that...

30Anne, YaYa_521 and Sine like this.
  7. DS2021

DS2021 Active Member

8. victoriarobinson642

victoriarobinson642 Well-Known Member

9. Sine

Sine Member

Wow. The name on the hat was his after all.

10. Alleykins

This is great news. So glad he was identified. And his name was Chris, after all. RIP.

11. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Rest in peace, Chris.

12. 30Anne

30Anne Active Member

It is sad that Chris's family thought he was purposing choosing not to communicate with them and because of this they had not filed a missing person report.
    I hope you have found peace Chris

13. Sine

Sine Member

I had done some Googling yesterday looking for info on a Chris Roof from Concord, Mass on the pre-2010 web and came across a Chris with quite an interesting story and thought, WOW, what if...? Well, it is THAT Chris Roof after all.

What a strange, strange story. Chris walked into the woods to be found deceased just as his mother did in 1979 in Washington. Chris shared a hometown with Thoreau and died in the Maine Woods. Chris seemed to be donating his and his mother's papers to Concord Library's Special Collections in the lead up to his disappearance almost like he had a plan. So many layers here. I really hope we hear more from the people that knew him. It sounds like he was quite well liked by his community.

14. Alleykins

I came across a Chris Roof who was donating his papers and thought, nah, couldn't be him, but I see now I was wrong. I'm just really surprised he wasn't identified sooner, based on his connections to his various communities.

15. victoriarobinson642

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 2.12.10 PM.png
    Christopher during life, from above article.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  16. Susikatze

Susikatze Well-Known Member

I wonder what else we do not know about Christopher.
    Unlike his mother, he did not seem to have been involved with substance abuse/"experiments".
    Highly educated, wealthy. You dont just walk in the woods and die there.
    Was there mental illness or a medical condition? He was a loner but that only explains why nobody was looking for him.

I feel we are missing so many pieces here.

Dear Chris, brilliant and kind Chris, you deserved better. I hope you found peace and are reunited with your dear mom.

17. victoriarobinson642

Many people go out hiking/into nature to try and detach from the world, especially if they're struggling with mental health problems.

18. Susikatze

Susikatze Well-Known Member

Yes, Vance Rodriguez did that, too

19. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

Interesting set of circumstances. I’m so glad he was identified. Rest peacefully now Chris.

20. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member