ME ME - Thomas Grant Jacoby, 18, sent letter after missing, Millinocket, August 1991

Article from 2002: Missing teen still baffles police Man fled from Pa. to Maine in 1991

"Ondeck [Thomas' girlfriend at the time of his disappearance] would like to think Jacoby is still alive. She said he was not involved in drugs or alcohol, and enjoyed the outdoors. After a trip to a park in their home state, Jacoby and Ondeck had agreed that they would meet each other on the same spot eight years from that day. Ondeck said she kept her promise and returned to the park but Jacoby never showed.

“I think he is alive,” Ondeck said. “I’d like to think he’s alive and doing what he wants to be doing.” She said a comment attributed to Jacoby in his high school yearbook seemed odd now. It read that 15 years from now he would be living up north with a pack of wild animals.

Dale Clukey too, believes Jacoby is still alive. He said the area where Jacoby vanished is frequented by hunters, fishermen and hikers. “There’s never been any positive indications of his death,” he said."
If he came up with the plan to meet at the same place 8 years later, I think he could very well be alive still. That it a very unusual thing for an 18 year-old man to arrange, imoo.

While this could be a possibility, the NamUs profile is saying this UID is between the ages of 11-14.The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I also noticed this on the NamUs profile: Dark, polo-style shirt, synthetic; elastic waist band from cotton underwear; pockets from Levi jeans (W32 L30)

If Thomas was between 5'10-5'11, the Levi Jeans 32/30 I would think would be for someone a little shorter, My husband is 5'10 and wears a 32 length and my son is 5'8 and wears a 30 length. - Just an observation..

It can't hurt to turn it in though, he isn't on the rule out list.
It might just depend on the person. My Dad is just under 6' 3" and wears a 32 length.

I agree. It's worth sending in to see if it's a match.

Has anyone ever checked John Does in Canada, seems he had been there once so maybe he did again.
The letter to his girlfriend is contradictory. He says if he ever returns it will be of his own volition, which doesn't sound like he planned suicide. But then he says he'll be dead 2 days before she receives the letter, which does.
I'm thinking he was talking metaphorically. The Thomas she knew would be dead, because he intended to start a new life. He seems to have gone on to gradually discard his possessions, and therefore his previous life.
He also signed the letter TJ, a name he apparently didn't use. If I had to guess I'd say he went on to start a new life under the name of TJ, but didn't preclude the possibility of one day returning.

One further thought; I'm not sure the girlfriend is correct about her assumption that he was upset about his parent's divorce, which happened a full decade before, or his friends moving away. I think it's very telling that he addressed his letters specifically to her rather than his family and apologised to her specifically for getting her in the middle of his mess, something he'd been struggling with for the past 2 years. If I had to guess I would say this was a reference to a struggle with his sexuality, something he'd been battling with since age 16 and was sorry for stringing the girlfriend along.

I'd like to think he's still alive, possibly in Canada and maybe using the name TJ, maybe he even switched it around to Thomas Jacob Grant.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back