Media Links **NO DISCUSSION**

Vigil being held tonight in Michigan for Phoebe
People will gather Thursday night in Marshall to hold a candlelight vigil for a Massachusetts girl who killed herself after being bullied for several months.
They're asking students and others in the community to take “Phoebe's Pledge," promising not to bully others and to treat them with dignity and respect
http://www.wwmt.com/articles/vigil-1...l-bullied.html

Despite this quote, this picture of AR really looks sad to me...such a lost look in his eyes, imo...
However according to defense attorney Alan Black, who is not associated with the case, under the law Renaud could have been put in jail for 60 days as a result of the second arrest while on recognizance from the first arrest.

"There is a section of the Massachusetts General Laws that allows for a mandatory 60 days if certain conditions are met when you pick up the new case when you're out on bail or on recognizance from another case which is what happened in this situation," said Black.

So despite an arrest while being out on bail from a previous arrest, Renaud remains free.
http://www.wggb.com/Global/story.asp?S=12344837

Attachments

• 12344837_BG1.jpg
    12344837_BG1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 5
Litterbox got credit at Slate! Good for SK...
They are talking about her book report, again...but this time is more accurate! Go Emily! :)

What is clear is that Phoebe was thinking about her family as well as her peers in the months before her death. Lynch writes that for most of her life, Phoebe lived with both of her parents in a hamlet on the coast in County Clare, "in a picturesque house at the back of the cemetery" facing the ocean. But then her parents separated. When Phoebe, her mother, and her younger sister moved to South Hadley, her father and three older siblings stayed behind. Lynch says Phoebe missed her father; I've heard the same thing from people in South Hadley who knew her.

You can feel her wistfulness and the distance between father and daughter in an essay Phoebe wrote for her English class on Oct. 15, three months before her death. (It's online because the blogger The Litterbox, who reports that he found Phoebe's blog on the South Hadley High server, posted it in March.) She's describing "today's values" in "an impersonal electronic society." She writes,...

And she talks about her connection to the books in terms of the experiences of people around her, not herself:
http://www.slate.com/id/2251645/

Article dated April 16, 2010 discussing $80K worth of security cameras that have been at the school for a year.

http://southhadleystudentpress.com/?p=452

Last year the administration spent $80,000 on the thirty-two camera units that are able to rotate 360 degrees and use infrared lenses, which can record strange activity even in the dead of night. All of the cameras record in color except for the one in the 500 hallway, which records in black and white. These cameras can make out a person’s face even at a distance.

Principal Dan Smith is clearly seeing these changes. “I believe the cameras have helped the members of our educational community stay within the bounds of acceptable behavior,” Smith said. “I also think our approach in charging students with disruption of a school with the courts also helps.”

Comments on the article site are currently closed.

"Social worker slams South Hadley bully task force"
A member of a South Hadley anti-bullying task force is quitting the group in disgust, saying a new harassment policy crafted in the wake of the suicide of 15-year-old Phoebe Prince was done carelessly.

Eleanor Small, a licensed social worker on its mental health sub-committee, said task force meetings have been “done in short order” and dominated by people with no expertise in the field.

“There are so many people just trying to hear themselves talk,” said Small, a South Hadley High School graduate. “It’s not done by people who have the professional expertise to handle such a critical issue.
http://news.bostonherald.com/news/r...l_worker_slams_south_hadley_bully_task_force/

Reporter goes to South Hadley

"Fear and loathing in South Hadley over Phoebe Prince suicide"

As I sat there for a few minutes trying to imagine what went on through those walls that caused Phoebe to hang herself, I became almost nauseated. I was lost in my emotions, anger, upset and confusion. The sound of car doors closing and engines roaring to my right caught my attention.

A group of girls, no more than 16 or 17 had finished up what appeared to be hockey practice and were going their separate ways, in top of the range SUVs. I felt slightly intimated by their confidence, their big cars and loud personalities.

After the crowd thinned out I approached two young women. Albeit friendly, when I told them who I was and what I wanted (their opinions on what happened to Phoebe) they cut me off and said, “We’ve been told not to talk to any media,” said a taller girl, although not divulging who told her to remain mum.

I’d hit a dead end before I started.

I crawled back out onto the main road and was in front of Phoebe’s home, the home she shared with her family after moving from Ireland last September within minutes.

The house, brightly painted white with elegant purple shutters, is also on Newton Street. It’s a few hundred yards from the high school.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Fe...dley-over-Phoebe-Prince-suicide-92277694.html

The waiting room outside the school superintendent’s office in Town Hall here is so placid you can hear the traffic going by outside.

On one wall is a daisy chain of Gus A. Sayer cut-outs, made, perhaps, by an elementary school student.

From his office, Sayer’s voice occasionally rises just enough to be audible. The superintendent is on the telephone with a woman from eastern Massachusetts who is giving Sayer a piece of her mind.

The woman is calling about Phoebe Prince, and although she has no personal stake in Prince’s story, she has an opinion. Calmly, Sayer assures her again and again that he believes his administrators took the appropriate steps all along the way.

Since Prince, a 15-year-old South Hadley High School freshman, hanged herself on Jan. 14, Sayer has gone through this routine countless times.

(snip)

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/05/gus_sayer_phoebe_prince_bullyi.html

Teen charged in Mass. bullying case heads to trial

NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (AP) -- A Massachusetts judge on Tuesday scheduled a March trial for a teenager accused of having sexual contact with a younger classmate, who hanged herself after what prosecutors call relentless bullying from the teen's ex-girlfriend and four other students.

Austin Renaud, 18, is charged with the statutory rape of Phoebe Prince, a South Hadley High School freshman who was 15 when she committed suicide in January. Renaud has pleaded not guilty.

Prince's death, one of several high-profile suicides related to bullying, sparked national discussions about the need to intervene against bullying, protect students and punish their alleged tormenters.

Renaud is not charged with bullying Prince. His attorney said Renaud considered Prince a friend, and that he tried in vain to help as the bullying escalated before her suicide.

He cut off contact with his ex-girlfriend and the other students long ago, attorney Terrence Dunphy said.

"As you can see, he was not one of the ones involved with the stalking, the bullying, the abuse or anything else," Dunphy said, describing Renaud as a quiet and respectful teen.

Renaud did not comment at Tuesday's hearing in Hampshire Superior Court. Prince's aunt also attended and left afterward without commenting.

Prosecutors charged all six teens after an investigation into Prince's suicide, which they say occurred after a particularly brutal day of bullying that followed months of verbal abuse and intimidation.

Five South Hadley students are charged with civil rights violations resulting in bodily injury. They are: Flannery Mullins, Sharon Velazquez and Ashley Longe, who were all 16; and Kayla Narey and her on-and-off boyfriend, Sean Mulveyhill, who were both 17.

Prosecutors say the girls were angry about Prince's relationships with Mulveyhill and Renaud. Renaud had dated Mullins before meeting Prince, a recent immigrant from Ireland.

more here

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/national/21002582871892/#

Editor's note: Throughout the last week of 2010, The Republican counts down our editors' picks for top 10 stories of the year.
1. Phoebe Prince suicide and bullying fallout:

When a 15-year-old South Hadley High School freshman hanged herself in her home on Jan. 14, the community was predictably distraught. No one could have predicted, however, that Phoebe Prince would become the face of an international campaign against bullying.

(snip)

http://www.masslive.com/news/index....oebe_prince_suicide_and_bullying_fallout.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back