Media Thread - NO DISCUSSION

Deputies Called to Zimmerman's Home

Updated: Saturday, 07 Apr 2012, 7:51 PM EDT

"I ran out to the street and there were nine police cruisers out there - two Seminole and the other seven, Sanford."
George Zimmerman went into hiding weeks ago - since he admitted to shooting Martin in self-defense - the reason why his neighbors were so surprised Sunday morning.

....................... snip ..........................

But it was a prank.

The Seminole County Sheriff's office says if the prankster is caught, they will face felony charges and jail time.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/local/040712-Deputies-Called-to-Zimmerman's-Home#ixzz1rPB1NlIT

Racist past haunts Florida town where Trayvon died...

SANFORD, Florida (Reuters) - The year before Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier by becoming the first African American to play major league baseball, he fled the racist threats of townspeople in Sanford, Florida, where Trayvon Martin was shot 66 years later.

It was 1946 and Robinson arrived in this picturesque town in central Florida for spring training with a Brooklyn Dodgers farm team. He didn't stay long.

Robinson was forced to leave Sanford twice, according to Chris Lamb, a professor at the College of Charleston in South Carolina, who wrote a graphic account of Robinson's brush with 100 angry locals in a 2004 book.

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wr...e.Trayvon.died

Race in America: Trayvon Martin, Tulsa killings raise contentious questions

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justic...in-Tulsa-killings-raise-contentious-questions

Troubling cases involving race, including the Trayvon Martin shooting and this week's killing of several blacks in Tulsa, Okla., raise difficult social and political issues for many Americans.

-----

Gun nation: Inside America's gun-carry culture

Six weeks after the event, authorities have yet to decide whether Zimmerman should be charged with a crime – a source of particular frustration to Martin’s family and supporters conducting daily rallies and vigils around the country. It’s also prompted reexamination of “Stand Your Ground” laws in Florida and some two dozen other states under which citizens may use deadly force rather than retreat when they think they're in danger.

Meanwhile, Zimmerman’s family and supporters likewise are preparing for any prosecution that might result, building a defense case in a series of media interviews.

Trayvon Martin case: Three key questions still not answered

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/0...-still-not-answered/Was-George-Zimmerman-hurt

In the month since teenager Trayvon Martin was fatally shot by neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman in Sanford, Fla., the case has become a national sensation. Daily leaks favorable to one side or another have swung perceptions of the incident back and forth. Given what is currently known, what are the key questions on which Mr. Zimmerman’s guilt or innocence could turn, and which may be eventually answerable by evidence?

1. Was George Zimmerman hurt?

'Stand Your Ground' Task Force Told Trayvon Martin Case Proves Florida Law Is Confusing, Ought To Be Repealed

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...da-repealed_n_1407915.html?ref=trayvon-martin

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A task force examining Florida's "stand your ground" self-defense law was told Thursday that the Trayvon Martin shooting is one example of the law's ambiguity and the potential unintended consequences it has created.

"What we've discovered is, in a drug deal gone bad, people die, and this is the defense," Buddy Jacobs, general counsel for the Florida Prosecuting Attorneys Association, told the 18-member panel. "Our conclusion is that this law ought to be repealed. We don't think it's a thing we can tweak."

Homeowner association could be sued in Martin case

April 9, 2012 3:11 AM

SANFORD, Fla. — If Trayvon Martin's family sues over his death, they might not target George Zimmerman but instead the homeowners association of the neighborhood where the shooting happened and Zimmerman lived.

That's because if Zimmerman's claim that he shot the unarmed 17-year-old in self-defense is upheld by prosecutors, a judge or a jury, Florida's so-called stand your ground law would protect him from a lawsuit. But his clearance or acquittal wouldn't stop Martin's parents from suing The Retreat at Twin Lakes homeowners association — and its insurance policies and assets would make it a much more lucrative target than Zimmerman, even if he is eventually convicted of a crime.

Plus, lawyers say, Exhibit A would be a newsletter sent by the association to residents in February, the same month as the shooting. It said Zimmerman was the go-to person for residents who had been the victims of a crime.

More at link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_162-57411121/homeowner-association-could-be-sued-in-martin-case/

Trayvon Martin Case Spotlights Florida Town's History Of 'Sloppy' Police Work

Posted: 04/9/2012 8:35 am

SANFORD, Fla. -- In the summer of 2010, a masked man gunned down Ikeem Ruffin, 17, in an apartment complex on this city's north side. When police arrived, they found Ruffin dead and another teenager beside the body calling for an ambulance. The next day, police charged the teen with robbery and murder.

Prosecutors dropped the murder charge last August and said another man, still unidentified, pulled the trigger. Teresa Ruffin, the victim’s mother, said the police overlooked important evidence -- including a witness who pointed to another suspect -- and allowed her son's killer to go free.

“They didn’t do their job,” Ruffin said of the police.

Ruffin, who is black, said she sees parallels between how Sanford police officers handled her son’s murder and how they investigated the killing of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed teenager shot to death Feb. 26 by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who told police he acted in self-defense.

Police said they couldn’t refute Zimmerman’s claim and haven't arrested him, unleashing withering criticism over perceived missteps and favoritism.

"All this with Trayvon is just bringing the light on the Sanford Police Department," Ruffin said. "This happened for a reason.”

Long article at link:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/09/trayvon-martin-cops-botched-investigation_n_1409277.html

Sides Await Prosecutor's Decision
It is unclear how the special prosecutor plans to handle possible legal proceedings. Angela Corey, the special prosecutor, has to make one of three choices: File charges, drop the case or send it to a grand jury.
Two prosecutors are working to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to bring charges against Zimmerman, 28.
Corey said she has never used a grand jury to decide on charges in a justifiable homicide case.
"We do a thorough investigation. We make that decision ourselves," she said.

Students block police station entrance
No arrests have been made in the Monday protest, which comes a day after the students, who call themselves the Dream Defenders, completed a 40-mile, three-day march from Daytona Beach to Sanford, where Martin, 17, was shot and killed by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman in late February.
City officials and members of the U.S. Department of Justice were observing the demonstration, which consisted of a handful of students -- some wearing hoodies -- blocking the entrance and dozens of others standing nearby.
Local 6 News reporter Cortney Hall said a couple of people have tried to enter the Sanford Police Department but the doors are locked.

Video of student protest from Orlando Sentinal:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/vide...-block-doors-to-the-Sanford-Police-Department
Photograph Here
Another Photograph

No Grand Jury Necessary, says Pros. Angela Corey
The special prosecutor for the Trayvon Martin case has decided not to use a grand jury in the death investigation, according to a release.
State Attorney Angela Corey said on Monday that the grand jury date, which was set to convene on Tuesday, was previously scheduled by the former prosecutor.
According to Corey's released, "the decision should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case."

No Grand Jury in Trayvon Case
Angela Corey told The Miami Herald in an interview last month that she did not expect to need a grand jury, and would likely make the decision on whether or not to charge Zimmerman herself.
“I always lean towards moving forward without needing the grand jury in a case like this,” Corey said last month. “I foresee us being able to make a decision, and move on it on our own.”
On Monday, her office confirmed that no grand jury would be used in the case.

WFTV9 ~ Sources Say Zimmerman Arrest Could Happen This Week
SANFORD, Fla. —
Two sources told WFTV on Monday that gunman George Zimmerman could be arrested this week, and that a Grand Jury will not meet on Tuesday.
Zimmerman has been in hiding because of threats, after he shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. He claims he shot Martin in self-defense.
State Attorney Angela Corey said she will not use a Grand Jury to decide whether Zimmerman will be charged for killing Martin.
Meanwhile, lawyers for Zimmerman said if he is not charged, he will speak out.

Sanford Police Station Closed to Public
Sanford officials have shut down the Sanford Police Department to the public today after Trayvon Martin protesters blocked the entrance into the building.
Moments later, Phillip Agnew and Stephen Green, leaders of the Dream Defenders, were called into the Police Department after Special Prosecutor Angela Corey asked to speak with them over the phone.
Green, 19, of Orlando, exited police headquarters, saying Corey, state attorney in Duval, Clay and Nassau counties, told protest leaders the process was continuing.
*snip*
Agnew said the protesters likely will remain at the Police Department until 5 p.m.
Members of the U.S. Department of Justice also are at the scene observing the protesters.

CNN Transcript: Martin Savidge talking about Prosecutor and Protest
PHILLIPS: Anything happening behind you? Are the protests kind of getting word of what's just been announced and they are responding and, then, number two, tell me where we go from here?

SAVIDGE: Well, the first, they are just hearing it out of my lips, because no one else has been reporting this. So this is their first indication. They still have a number of members of this group that's protesting here that are blocking the doors, the entrance to the police department here. As a result, it appears that they are gathering around and giving some sort of statement. At the same time, though, the Sanford Police Department has stayed away. They have not tried to interfere. There has been no altercation, no confrontation. Instead, it appears they are going out of their way not to arrest anybody. They closed off the street in front of the police department here. There are also members from the department of justice, community services team, that are monitoring the circumstances as well. It has been very peaceful. People have been speaking, singing and praying and no arrests --

Martin Family Attorney Makes Statement
"We want to believe that this would be a positive sign that the prosecutor has enough information to arrest Trayvon Martin's killer," said Benjamin Crump, an attorney for the Martin family, moments after Corey released the news. "The family is really trying hard to be patient and have faith in the system."

Homeowner Association Liable for Zimmerman, says Businessweek
Under the heading "Neighborhood Watch," the newsletter's message recommended that residents first call police and then "please contact our Captain, George Zimmerman ... so he can be aware and help address the issue with other residents."
That seeming endorsement of Zimmerman exposes the 7-year-old association to possible legal action by Martin's parents, homeowners association attorneys said.
*snip*
"So, if you're going to send out a newsletter saying, `Hey, he is the captain. Whatever he says goes,' You have now basically rented a free police officer for your neighborhood," Clark said. "He certainly took on that role with the homeowners association, and it seems to me that they recognized that."
"I almost guarantee you there are going to be checks written," Clark said.

Sanford Police Station Reopens after Peaceful Protest
After speaking with Corey, Bonaparte and other officials Monday afternoon, the students left the police station. Sanford officials said the closing had a minimal effect on police and fire responses to emergency calls. Citizens who needed to do routine police business were told to go to Sanford City Hall.

George Zimmerman's Attorneys on The Today Show - Video:

[ame=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/46991804#46991804]George Zimmerman's Attorneys on NBC's The Today Show[/ame]

MSNBC Report - Zimmerman has New Website
Several sites purporting to raise money for Zimmerman, 28, have popped up since he shot Martin, 17, on Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla., but "I cannot attest to the validity of these other websites," Zimmerman writes on .
Attorneys confirmed to NBC News that the site, which domain records show was created Sunday, is real and is operated by Zimmerman himself. It solicits donations through PayPal with a promise that "any funds provided are used only for living expenses and legal defense, in lieu of my forced inability to maintain employment."

From CNN: Zimmerman Speaks to Raise Funds
"I am the real George Zimmerman," declares the website, set up over the weekend.
"On Sunday February 26th, I was involved in a life altering event which led me to become the subject of intense media coverage. As a result of the incident and subsequent media coverage, I have been forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family and ultimately, my entire life. This website's sole purpose is to ensure my supporters they are receiving my full attention without any intermediaries."

After deciding against grand jury, decision in special prosecutor's hands
Critics who for weeks have demanded that George Zimmerman be arrested for killing Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black 17-year-old, waited another day Monday, and the special prosecutor in the case announced she will not take the case to a grand jury.
Lawyers trying to interpret that move differed on what it means, but one point is now unequivocal: Prosecutor Angela Corey will not charge Zimmerman with first-degree murder. That requires an indictment by a grand jury.
Before turning the case over to prosecutors, Sanford police classified the case as a possible manslaughter. In this case, since Trayvon was not yet an adult, that charge carries a possible maximum sentence of 30 years.
More...

Teacher at Pontiac charter: I was fired for organizing Trayvon Martin fund-raiser
A national civil rights group is calling on a Pontiac charter school to reinstate a teacher who said she was fired for helping students organize a fund-raiser to benefit the family of slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.
Leadership officials at the Pontiac Academy for Excellence deny the charges, which were made in a news release issued Monday by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), a nonprofit based in Montgomery, Ala.
"Unfortunately, I can't give you more details, but I can say that the reasons that are cited have never been an issue for any termination of any employee at Pontiac Academy for Excellence," Superintendent Jacqueline Cassell said.

SPLC demands reinstatement of Michigan teacher fired over Trayvon Martin fundraiser
The SPLC is calling for the reinstatement of a Michigan teacher who was fired recently for helping students organize a fundraiser for the family of Trayvon Martin, the teen who was fatally shot in a Florida neighborhood earlier this year.
Brooke Harris, who taught at the Pontiac Academy for Excellence Middle School and was voted Teacher of the Year for two out of the last three years, was fired from the charter school late last month with little explanation
More...

Why did Florida prosecutor skip grand jury?
Florida state attorney Angela B. Corey cautioned the public against reading too much into her surprise decision to forgo a grand jury in the Trayvon Martin case. But that's exactly what everyone is doing.
From legal experts to the armchair "CSI" experts at home, close followers of the racially charged case are trying to decipher Corey's legal strategy -- and gauge what it might mean for neighborhood watch volunteer and admitted shooter, George Zimmerman.
More...

HLN Transcript of Jane Velez-Mitchell with Frank Taaffe, Neighbor of Zimmerman, plus panel of lawyers

TAAFFE: ... I want to get back to my point, and it`s going to be very brief and tiny capsule. The young black male that was perpetrating my home on the 911 call on February 2, was the same one that was apprehended to my next- door neighbor four doors down two weeks later, one week before Trayvon Martin -- the shooting of Trayvon Martin -- was apprehended, and here`s the twist. He lived in our complex. You can go on his -- I can share his name, but I`d rather not. But...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: No, please don`t.

TAAFFE: He lived four -- OK, well, he lived four town homes down from my house and three from my neighbor.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: What are you suggesting? That it`s OK to -- I don`t...

TAAFFE: I didn`t know that before. I didn`t know who the perpetrator was.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: What is the point?

TAAFFE: He I.D.`d him. He I.D.`d him on his -- on his walk that night with his 100-pound Rottweiler, which he was out. And then he called Sanford police. They showed up at the scene. He didn`t chase him that night. He wanted me to emphasize that he did not pursue him. He did not counter surveil. He waited for Sanford to show up.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: OK. All right. Natalie Jackson, attorney for Trayvon Martin, I want to give you the opportunity to weigh in.

JACKSON: I don`t know why Frank Taaffe keeps throwing out these red herrings of things. Are you saying that it`s OK to racially profile? Are you saying because -- are you saying that because one black male broke into your home that it`s OK now to assault somebody with a 9 millimeter gun?

TAAFFE: Natalie...

JACKSON: What`s wrong with you? What is wrong with you, Mr. Taaffe? What is wrong with you?

TAAFFE: There`s nothing wrong with me.

JACKSON: You are not doing a service to George Zimmerman.

~~~~~~*snip*~~~~~~

Jane Velez-Mitchell: Ok. One of Zimmerman`s attorneys maintains -- getting back to the "Stand Your Ground" law. That Florida law prevented the arrest of George Zimmerman immediately after the shooting, which is one of the reasons why there was so much controversy. That he was just allowed to go on his merry way.

Here`s his explanation from NBC`s "Today" show. Let`s listen.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

HAL UHRIG, GEORGE ZIMMERMAN`S ATTORNEY: The Florida statute actually prohibits law enforcement from making an arrest under circumstances where self defense is claimed and it`s not absolutely clear that use of force was unlawful.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right. Richard Kuritz, you`re shaking your head. That was one of the reasons this got so controversial, is that he was -- essentially police seemed to accept his version of events and just allowed him to go on, using "Stand Your Ground" as an excuse.

KURITZ: Sure. Look -- there`s no statute that prohibits law enforcement from doing that -- number one. Bottom line is it`s a defense that can be utilized after a prosecution makes a decision to move forward. It is a defense. It is not something that law enforcement should be considering in advance. Law enforcement should contact the state`s attorney office. They should consult with it just like they did in this case and then make a determination; do they have enough probable cause to move forward? Can they prove the case beyond reasonable doubt? If they can do that then the "Stand Your Ground" will fall by the wayside. It will never be that. Everybody`s making "Stand Your Ground" the focus of this. It is not this.

Lengthy article on history of police clashes in Sanford:
Martin Case Spotlights History of Sloppy Police Work
Martin's girlfriend's contention that Zimmerman shoved Martin at the beginning of the altercation is missing from Zimmerman's story, lawyers for Martin's family said. The girl is a minor whose identity is being kept secret by the family attorneys.
The failure of Sanford police to locate and interview the girl was a crucial investigative oversight, according to Gerald S. Reamey, a former police department legal advisor in Texas and law professor and legal scholar specializing in criminal procedure at St. Mary's University in San Antonio.
"It really casts doubt on the soundness of the entire investigation when you see something like this," Reamey said. "They should have had this piece of evidence."
~~~Much more at Link~~~

Empty Sanford Police Car Shot
Police say no one was inside but the gun shots knocked out at least one window on the car. Witnesses report at least six shots were fired and two bullets hit the patrol car.
The car was parked across the street from the Retreat at Twin Lakes apartment complex, near the front of Bentley Elementary School.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back