Mentally Ill Inmate Starves to Death in Utah Jail

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Tuffy, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Tuffy

Tuffy Not really that tough...

Mentally Ill Inmate Starves to Death in Utah Jail

http://solitarywatch.com/2011/06/06/mentally-ill-inmate-starves-to-death-in-utah-jail/

2. Loading...

3. Quiche

Quiche New Member

Oh, uh, excuse me? I thought inmates were under supervision. Sickening!!

:furious:

4. badhorsie

badhorsie Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...

Why was someone that mentally ill in a jail? That weightloss didn't happen overnight, was no one monitoring him?

5. Tuffy

Tuffy Not really that tough...

...or more likely they just didn't care enough to intervene. I am interested to see the yet to be release, report from his last exam. The one where they were to determine his fitness to stand trial. Certainly, he didn't weigh much more than the 77 pounds reported at the time of death.

A young man in good health who starves to death in a couple of months must not have been taking in many calories at all!

6. OneLostGrl

OneLostGrl I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane

OMG! This makes me want to cry! This poor helpless man.

Where is the outrage?! Oh yeah, he's a criminal.. so who cares, right? I am so sick of the mentally ill being criminalized and left to rot or die within the prison system! This has got to stop!!

7. Gozgals

Gozgals New Member

I am so sad when I read this. Why Why Why?? This person was not being watched, better yet, nobody there cared.... That is what sucks about some of our LE depts. A mentally ill person should not have been there in the first place. Outraged. Sad thing is that people need to speak up before this stuff happens, (and it happens a lot) not after the fact. This rights have to be afforded to our mentally ill and all citizens.

Goz