Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I really want to believe this latest proclamation, I find myself extremely skeptical.

I feel the same way. My skepticism comes from experience with mistaken sightings on a missing teen case. Between grainy videos from a gas station that even her father was uncertain about to photos of a similar looking girl across the country that we scrutinized...I could see how hard it is to identify someone accurately. None of the sightings was right. Add the fact that people of a different race can look similar, to me anyway, in a casual encounter...I'm more than a little skeptical. Jenny is not unique looking, so unless there is more to this I'm not holding my breath. But I would love for it to be true.

I would hate to lose a loved one in Mexico. I have been away for a while, and sorry if this is a repeat. My husband and I were stopped by Mexican police in February. They threatened us if we didn't give them US dollars. They directed us to an ATM that gave us currency, and followed us, while another group joined in. This is common, and apparently no one does anything to them even with proof. The US officials my husband later talked to, told him we were lucky. They are corrupt, and cover for one another. I'm more afraid of police than citizens while in Mexico. This all happened in a very populated area, and other officers laughed as we drove by toward the ATM. I had the entire conversation recorded secretly, and nothing could be done. I wouldn't be surprised if the policia took her, or at a minimum covered a crime up.

I would hate to lose a loved one in Mexico. I have been away for a while, and sorry if this is a repeat. My husband and I were stopped by Mexican police in February. They threatened us if we didn't give them US dollars. They directed us to an ATM that gave us currency, and followed us, while another group joined in. This is common, and apparently no one does anything to them even with proof. The US officials my husband later talked to, told him we were lucky. They are corrupt, and cover for one another. I'm more afraid of police than citizens while in Mexico. This all happened in a very populated area, and other officers laughed as we drove by toward the ATM. I had the entire conversation recorded secretly, and nothing could be done. I wouldn't be surprised if the policia took her, or at a minimum covered a crime up.

Welcome back! :seeya: I'm you came out of this only losing money. How scary! Your theory about the police is frightening, but I can see that it's possible.

WoW! Just wow! Dockins, so glad you made it out safely. I will never travel there. Never.

As for a Jenny sighting ... I read every single post to now - and looked up all five contacts that fit the profile mentioned on th HFJ page. It is possible that the intent was to write the word "that" but he fat fingered it and had a typo that caused an autocorrect. In that case, it could be any one of the newest members.

I think the most recent additions to the page are the most likely candidates - and most likely the person only recently stumbled on to Jenny's poster. I don't think a long time member of the page is only now coming forward.

I know we all want her to be alive, but I don't think she is.

This is my first time posting. I have been following the case as well as the sleuthing since the beginning when it was exposed in Chinese media (which is where I live). I don't why I never posted, probably because I felt that everyone here is so much more experienced at sleuthing that I wouldn't be able to offer any value-added opinion. But now I want to say something due to the recent turn of event. I find this whole thing hard to swallow. I mean, traumatic incident followed by amnesia. All of these sound like a cheesy lifetime movie plot to me. Does anyone know how much trauma one would have to experience in order to have amnesia? And apparently it is a permanent amnesia since Jenny still hasn't come out of it to come home. Sure, Jenny could have had encountered trouble while she was in amnesia. But I remain suspicious about this whole witness thing. Amnesia, psh...I am not surprised if Jenny was faking amnesia to get out of going home, and given what was reported by Chinese embassy about the sighting of Jenny after she was reported missing, I bet it's worth something to look into.

Sorry if this post comes out more like a rant rather than anything coherent or logical.

PS - I read/write Chinese. If anyone needs anything translated, talk to me.

This is my first time posting. I have been following the case as well as the sleuthing since the beginning when it was exposed in Chinese media (which is where I live). I don't why I never posted, probably because I felt that everyone here is so much more experienced at sleuthing that I wouldn't be able to offer any value-added opinion. But now I want to say something due to the recent turn of event. I find this whole thing hard to swallow. I mean, traumatic incident followed by amnesia. All of these sound like a cheesy lifetime movie plot to me. Does anyone know how much trauma one would have to experience in order to have amnesia? And apparently it is a permanent amnesia since Jenny still hasn't come out of it to come home. Sure, Jenny could have had encountered trouble while she was in amnesia. But I remain suspicious about this whole witness thing. Amnesia, psh...I am not surprised if Jenny was faking amnesia to get out of going home, and given what was reported by Chinese embassy about the sighting of Jenny after she was reported missing, I bet it's worth something to look into.

Sorry if this post comes out more like a rant rather than anything coherent or logical.

PS - I read/write Chinese. If anyone needs anything translated, talk to me.

:welcome: to the thread, southlanecherry!!!!! This is a great first post. It's perfectly coherent and logical and I agree. Keep them coming. You have plenty to add to our discussion. Your language skills will be a huge asset. Thank you for offering to help.

I'm interested in your opinion...As you know from following along, JR dismissed the Chinese Embassy report. Wanting to give JR the benefit of the doubt, I've tried to figure out if Mexican LE or the Chinese Embassy was doing a snow job on Jenny's parents for some reason or if the corrupt LE actually had accurate information. I've wondered how her parents could accept that information without proof and without seeing her...or maybe there was proof and they did see her.

Living in China and being familiar with how things work culturally and in the government, what has been your opinion about what the parents were told and the fact that they went home, seemingly satisfied? In other words, would they feel comfortable asking for proof or would they meekly accept what they were told? Would the Chinese government deceive them or not push the Mexican government in order to maintain friendly trade relations? I want to believe they were told the truth, but JR's strong denial made me try to come up with a scenario supporting his point of view...even though he has given me no reason to trust him other than being a "victim" according to Websleuths' default position. Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

Welcome, southlanecherry. We are so glad to have you here! Please keep posting.

I am interested to know what the coverage by the media has been like in China. We're there any interviews of Jenny's family? Do you know what steps her family in Wenzhou has done after their trip to Mexico at the end of May last year in their search for her? Anything you can share from the perspective of someone living in China would be great to hear.

:welcome: to the thread, southlanecherry!!!!! This is a great first post. It's perfectly coherent and logical and I agree. Keep them coming. You have plenty to add to our discussion. Your language skills will be a huge asset. Thank you for offering to help.

I'm interested in your opinion...As you know from following along, JR dismissed the Chinese Embassy report. Wanting to give JR the benefit of the doubt, I've tried to figure out if Mexican LE or the Chinese Embassy was doing a snow job on Jenny's parents for some reason or if the corrupt LE actually had accurate information. I've wondered how her parents could accept that information without proof and without seeing her...or maybe there was proof and they did see her.

Living in China and being familiar with how things work culturally and in the government, what has been your opinion about what the parents were told and the fact that they went home, seemingly satisfied? In other words, would they feel comfortable asking for proof or would they meekly accept what they were told? Would the Chinese government deceive them or not push the Mexican government in order to maintain friendly trade relations? I want to believe they were told the truth, but JR's strong denial made me try to come up with a scenario supporting his point of view...even though he has given me no reason to trust him other than being a "victim" according to Websleuths' default position. Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

Thanks Lilibet for such warm welcome! From my understanding, Jenny comes from a very normal family in a second-tier city in China. Her parents probably aren't well educated. However, this does not mean they see themselves too weak to seek justice. TONS of average Chinese families with loved ones that are victimized and unfairly treated by laws are blasting their stories on social media seeking justice nowadays. I'm not sure if you are following Yingying Zhang's case, but her parents never gave up and flew all the way to America to look for their daughter. That is a normal reaction when anyone's daughter has gone missing. So initially I did find it very bizarre that Jenny's parents are so easily satisfied just because the Chinese Embassy told them someone saw her still in Mexico, and that was months ago. I would have expected them to cry out for help all over the place by now demanding assistance to find their daughter. But no, they are hushed for obvious reason which you have mentioned, "not push the Mexican government in order to maintain friendly trade relations". ALSO, we should keep in mind that their daughter Jenny is very much hated on social media. Her weibo posts have portrayed herself as someone who disliked living in China and longed for a better life in USA. This obviously did not sit well with the netizens in China, and after her weibo account went public, there were so many horrible hate messages written on there saying things like "nobody would regret it if she actually died in Mexico". So, let's assume her parents were not bought off or threatened by anybody to keep quiet, they probably still wouldn't scream too loud about finding their daughter. Not only would they not get what they want, they are probably risking their safety by doing so. Just to give you an idea about how power the netizens in China are - there was once a case of animal abuse and the woman's social media account was exposed with horrific pictures of those poor animals, people on the internet were able to find out her real name, home address, work address, phone number, ID # (similar to social security #). And then some of them got together, cornered her on her way home, and almost beat her to death. This is the sort of things that Jenny's parents would be facing if they "seek justice" for their daughter, maybe not this extreme, but still.

With that said, given what I read from Jenny's weibo account, I don't think she was delusional or had mental problem. She was a naive and extremely adventurous person (not a good combo). And if she is voluntarily going missing, her first choice is definitely not to return home to China. She simply is moving on to another adventure.

WELCOME, and THANK YOU so much for your perspective, SouthLaneCherry!!

I have Some Thoughts, & yet More Questions (I can hear some other WSers groaning from here ;)!), but need more time to put them into coherent form & RL is keeping me a bit busier than I'd like this week.

I'll be back :).

I feel the same way. My skepticism comes from experience with mistaken sightings on a missing teen case. Between grainy videos from a gas station that even her father was uncertain about to photos of a similar looking girl across the country that we scrutinized...I could see how hard it is to identify someone accurately. None of the sightings was right. Add the fact that people of a different race can look similar, to me anyway, in a casual encounter...I'm more than a little skeptical. Jenny is not unique looking, so unless there is more to this I'm not holding my breath. But I would love for it to be true.

BBM.

Absolutely agree 1000%. At least there was a happy ending in that case.

In addition, I'll also say that - having had a wander around SM both recently and earlier when I started following the case - there are (were? Some seem to have vanished) pictures of Jenny during her Mexico trip which look nothing like the photos used for the missing flyer/billboard/on the HFJ page etc.

Thanks Lilibet for such warm welcome! From my understanding, Jenny comes from a very normal family in a second-tier city in China. Her parents probably aren't well educated. However, this does not mean they see themselves too weak to seek justice. TONS of average Chinese families with loved ones that are victimized and unfairly treated by laws are blasting their stories on social media seeking justice nowadays. I'm not sure if you are following Yingying Zhang's case, but her parents never gave up and flew all the way to America to look for their daughter. That is a normal reaction when anyone's daughter has gone missing. So initially I did find it very bizarre that Jenny's parents are so easily satisfied just because the Chinese Embassy told them someone saw her still in Mexico, and that was months ago. I would have expected them to cry out for help all over the place by now demanding assistance to find their daughter. But no, they are hushed for obvious reason which you have mentioned, "not push the Mexican government in order to maintain friendly trade relations". ALSO, we should keep in mind that their daughter Jenny is very much hated on social media. Her weibo posts have portrayed herself as someone who disliked living in China and longed for a better life in USA. This obviously did not sit well with the netizens in China, and after her weibo account went public, there were so many horrible hate messages written on there saying things like "nobody would regret it if she actually died in Mexico". So, let's assume her parents were not bought off or threatened by anybody to keep quiet, they probably still wouldn't scream too loud about finding their daughter. Not only would they not get what they want, they are probably risking their safety by doing so. Just to give you an idea about how power the netizens in China are - there was once a case of animal abuse and the woman's social media account was exposed with horrific pictures of those poor animals, people on the internet were able to find out her real name, home address, work address, phone number, ID # (similar to social security #). And then some of them got together, cornered her on her way home, and almost beat her to death. This is the sort of things that Jenny's parents would be facing if they "seek justice" for their daughter, maybe not this extreme, but still.

With that said, given what I read from Jenny's weibo account, I don't think she was delusional or had mental problem. She was a naive and extremely adventurous person (not a good combo). And if she is voluntarily going missing, her first choice is definitely not to return home to China. She simply is moving on to another adventure.

Thanks for your informative post! Yes, I forgot to mention Jenny's anti-China posts about China being a possible factor in her parent's silence. But I didn't realize how extreme things are in China. It sounds as if you are a little doubtful that the info they received in May 2016 was truthful, but was perhaps intended to insure their silence. Did I understand you correctly? That would explain JR's reaction and disconnect from her family. And of course, they may just want to believe she is alive, even though she no longer calls her Mom every few days.

She didn't fare well on the internet here either, but more from the standpoint that people thought she was foolhardy to travel the way she did and weren't very sympathetic to either Jenny or JR. I have kept an eye on Yingyang's case and noticed how proactive her parents are. Yingyang is more "likeable" than Jenny, so I see the difference.

Some of us wondered if she might have returned to China, so I'm interested in your perspective. It seems she would not be welcome even if she wanted to return. If she has returned, I'm sure her family would keep it quiet and she would keep a low profile. I'd sure love to sit down with them and have a confidential chat though!

Her naïveté and stubborn need to "conquer her fears" is so extreme that some of us couldn't comprehend it without wondering if she was mentally ill. So I appreciate your opinion. But now it seems that JR is going to latch onto that theory. Sometimes I wonder if he reads here!

Welcome, southlanecherry!!

Reading your posts has been very informative. Also made me think how convenient it is for JR's story that this reported sighting is amnesia. Not that she left him and this country and China to pursue her own thing, whatever that may be. Not really a profound thought on my part, but one more reason I'm seeing holes in this possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I just caught up again. First of all, Southlanecherry... welcome! :)

You made a good point that I forgotten about. And that is, she would not return to China, and was adventurous. AND, her parents were noted as having seen her. Suddenly, I think it is very very possible that she met a man on her travels, and opted to stay in Mexico with him. Honestly, at this point that would not surprise me. Jenny exhibited that she was in love with Mexico and the people there, and someone did create an account with her handle, but never acted on it.

Maybe Jenny is alive and well in Mexico, living her dream life with a man she fell in love with, and has a new name. She possible does not care that she has a "legal" marriage in the US because she does not intend to return - nor let JR know where she is.

You know, I just caught up again. First of all, Southlanecherry... welcome! :)

You made a good point that I forgotten about. And that is, she would not return to China, and was adventurous. AND, her parents were noted as having seen her. Suddenly, I think it is very very possible that she met a man on her travels, and opted to stay in Mexico with him. Honestly, at this point that would not surprise me. Jenny exhibited that she was in love with Mexico and the people there, and someone did create an account with her handle, but never acted on it.

Maybe Jenny is alive and well in Mexico, living her dream life with a man she fell in love with, and has a new name. She possible does not care that she has a "legal" marriage in the US because she does not intend to return - nor let JR know where she is.

I really wish this were the case, but I fear otherwise. If I had to prioritize my most likely scenario speculations they would be:

1. Went back to China, laying low
2. Deceased in Mexico
3. Wandering in Mexico with cognitive impairment
4. In Mexico held against her will
5. In Mexico enjoying life

I really wish this were the case, but I fear otherwise. If I had to prioritize my most likely scenario speculations they would be:

1. Went back to China, laying low
2. Deceased in Mexico
3. Wandering in Mexico with cognitive impairment
4. In Mexico held against her will
5. In Mexico enjoying life
From your list, I would rate them as
1. Deceased in Mexico
2. In Mexico enjoying life
3. In Mexico held against her will
4. Wandering in Mexico with cognitive impairment
5. Went back to China, laying low

From your list, I would rate them as
1. Deceased in Mexico
2. In Mexico enjoying life
3. In Mexico held against her will
4. Wandering in Mexico with cognitive impairment
5. Went back to China, laying low

I'll add (very low down on the probability scale):
6. Moved on from Mexico, and/or revisited, laying low.

JMO.

This new "witness" popping up reminds me of the many McStay family sightings in Mexico. And they were long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member