Mexico - Kaleo Skye, 3 & Roxy Rain 10 mos, killed by dad, Rosarito, 10 Aug 2021 *arrest in CA*

Just in: New memorial pops up for Santa Barbara children killed in Mexico | NewsChannel 3-12

MTC's arraignment date of August 31 has been pushed back, but no date has been set. Do you think this is due to the impending psych eval?

I don't know if the evaluation is affecting the date.
There was one document manually filed under seal on Aug 19.

They've not disclosed where MC is being held but the post-indictment arraignment has been continued to Sept 9, 2021 so that's really not much of a delay considering there's a federal holiday on Sept 6.

CM/ECF - California Central District

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
CENTRAL DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA (Western Division - Los Angeles)
CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 2:21-mj-03722-DUTY All Defendants

Case title: USA v. Coleman

Date Filed: 08/11/2021

Assigned to: Duty Magistrate Judge

Defendant (1)
Matthew Taylor Coleman

REG 59551-509

represented by Elena Rose Sadowsky
Federal Public Defenders Office
321 East 2nd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012-4202
213-894-7330
Fax: 213-894-0081
Email: elena_sadowsky@fd.org
LEAD ATTORNEY
ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED
Designation: Public Defender or Community Defender Appointment

Pending Counts
None
Disposition

Highest Offense Level (Opening)
None

Terminated Counts
None
Disposition

Highest Offense Level (Terminated)
None

Complaints
Defendant in violation of 18:1119,1111
Disposition

Plaintiff
USA

Date Filed #Docket Text

08/11/2021
#1 COMPLAINT filed as to Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman in violation of 18:1119,1111. Approved by Magistrate Judge Jacqueline Chooljian as to Matthew Taylor Coleman (1). (mhe) (Entered: 08/11/2021)

08/11/2021
#2 NOTICE OF REQUEST FOR DETENTION filed by Plaintiff USA as to Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman (mhe) (Entered: 08/11/2021)

08/11/2021
#4 REPORT COMMENCING CRIMINAL ACTION as to Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman; defendants Year of Birth: 1981; date of arrest: 8/9/2021 (mhe) (Entered: 08/16/2021)

08/11/2021
#5 MINUTES OF INITIAL APPEARANCE ON LOCAL COMPLAINT held before Magistrate Judge Jacqueline Chooljian as to Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman. Court issues Order under Fed. R. Crim. P. 5(f) concerning prosecutors disclosure obligations;see General Order 21-02 (written order). Defendant arraigned and advised of the charges. Defendant states true name as charged. Attorney: Elena Rose Sadowsky for Matthew Taylor Coleman, Deputy Federal Public Defender, present. Court orders defendant permanently detained. Defendant remanded to the custody of the U.S. Marshal. Preliminary Hearing set for 8/25/2021 11:30 AM before Duty Magistrate Judge. Post-Indictment Arraignment set for 8/31/2021 11:30 AM before Duty Magistrate Judge. (mhe) (Entered: 08/16/2021)

08/11/2021
#6 ORDER OF DETENTION by Magistrate Judge Jacqueline Chooljian as to Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman, (mhe) (Entered: 08/16/2021)

08/11/2021
#7 CONSENT to Video Conference/Telephonic Conference filed by Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman. (mhe) (Entered: 08/16/2021)

08/11/2021
#8 ADVISEMENT OF STATUTORY & CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS filed by Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman. (mhe) (Entered: 08/16/2021)

08/11/2021
#9 FINANCIAL AFFIDAVIT filed as to Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman. (Not for Public View pursuant to the E-Government Act of 2002) (mhe) (Entered: 08/16/2021)

08/11/2021
#10 ASSERTION OF FIFTH AND SIXTH AMENDMENT RIGHTS filed by Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman (mhe) (Entered: 08/16/2021)

08/11/2021
#12 NOTICE DIRECTING DEFENDANT TO APPEAR for Preliminary Hearing and Arraignment on Indictment/Information. Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman is directed to appear for Preliminary Hearing on 8/25/21 at 11:30 am and for Post Indictment Arraignment on 8/31/21 at 11:30 am before the Duty Magistrate Judge. (mhe) (Entered: 08/19/2021)

08/16/2021
#3 WAIVER of Preliminary Examination or Hearing by Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman (Sadowsky, Elena) (Entered: 08/16/2021)

08/19/2021
#11 NOTICE of Manual Filing of Ex Parte to Seal; [Proposed] Order to Seal; and Under Seal Document filed by Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman (Karlin, Amy) (Entered: 08/19/2021)

08/20/2021
#13 AMENDED COMPLAINT filed as to Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman in violation of 18:1119,1111. Approved by Magistrate Judge Pedro V. Castillo USA. (mhe) (Entered: 08/23/2021)

08/24/2021
#14 STIPULATION to Continue Post-Indictment Arraignment Date from 8/20/21 to 9/9/21 filed by Plaintiff USA as to Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Order)(Butler, Kevin) (Entered: 08/24/2021)

08/24/2021
#15 ORDER CONTINUING POSTINDICTMENT ARRAIGNMENT DATE FOR DEFENDANT MATTHEW TAYLOR COLEMAN by Magistrate Judge Margo A. Rocconi as to Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman, re Stipulation to Continue 14 . (mhe) (Entered: 08/24/2021)

@Niner

Nothing makes more sense, no matter what he was thinking. MTC did not explain fully where he got the idea, whether it was the "Demon Seed" excuse why he had to kill his children or he suddenly saw his wife in a bad light.

All we know is he thought the kids would turn into monsters from his wife's supposed Serpent DNA and wreck havoc on the world. He confessed and only mentioned "QAnon and The Illuminati" conspiracy theories.

He could've taken any Bible, or other church's teachings, and mixed it into his own unique ideology blend to fit his misled reasoning for killing them. I sure hope there is no church telling people their children are evil or suggesting some shouldn't be alive.

All just MOO
Vallow and Daybell. Different cult, same result

Just in: New memorial pops up for Santa Barbara children killed in Mexico | NewsChannel 3-12
MTC's arraignment date of August 31 has been pushed back, but no date has been set. Do you think this is due to the impending psych eval?

New memorial pops up for Santa Barbara children killed in Mexico | NewsChannel 3-12 (keyt.com)

A new memorial set up in their community is comforting news. Thanks for the link. So many people knew the family and watched the children growing. Lots of people connected to the surfing, the surf school, and also church members. Everything looked so wholesome, so shiny and bright, and hopeful. Now this. That whole community needs to heal. Even here, we are still grieving.

Various articles that have been posted.

This is the formal legal complaint.
USA-v-Coleman-COMPLAINT.pdf (b-cdn.net)

Santa Barbara Father Arrested After Children, 1 and 3, Found Dead in Mexico – NBC 7 San Diego (nbcsandiego.com)

Matthew Taylor Coleman: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

QAnon-obsessed California dad, 40, fatally shot two children with a spearfishing gun | Daily Mail Online

Matthew Coleman 'Believed Some Weird Stuff' Before Allegedly Killing Kids | PEOPLE.com

How Far Down the QAnon Rabbit Hole Did Your Loved One Fall? | Psychology Today

animated-dividing-line-image-0236.gif

There's many things to think about in this case. Plus, it's possible something new will be revealed eventually.

Many times we might determine whether a person "heard voices telling them to do something", and we call that "mental illness". What if the "voices" he heard were those from the conspiracy theorists, groups like QAnon or the Illuminati, some call them cults, and he sought those voices out, more and more often? Perhaps to the point of madness?

He did confess, and he did say he knew what he was doing was wrong, but he had to "save the world". Is he going to suggest he was brainwashed? He knew what he was doing and that it was wrong. He was following through on his beliefs that someday his children would be monsters. MOO, his beliefs were certainly what was wrong, and he let them override all else.

Is it insanity to sneak around to plan then kill under the wrong beliefs? (Not that there are any right beliefs to kill your children.) This post is just to share all the things going through my mind about this extremely sad, disturbing case. Wondering what's going through your minds. All this has just been my own thoughts and opinions.

"Matthew Taylor Coleman is being held at an undisclosed federal prison after his arrest for allegedly killing his two children in Mexico -- and PEOPLE has learned that he will undergo psychological testing to determine his state of mind.

Coleman is being held in protective custody. He has been charged with two counts of foreign murder of United States nationals. A law enforcement source tells PEOPLE in its upcoming issue that the next step is for Coleman to be assessed by a psychiatrist to determine whether he is fit to stand trial.

[...]

It's unclear when the psychological assessment will be conducted -- or whether the results will be publicly released."
Oh, he’s fit alright. He loaded up his children in his car, drove them out of the country, checked into a hotel for two days, snuck out in the cover of darkness to a place familiar to him, found a deserted spot, murdered them and left them there to be savaged by animals and the environment.
Went back to the hotel, cleaned up, checked out, tossed the evidence and proceeded to drive back home. Once he was arrested, he admitted to what he had done. His reason didn’t matter. IMO

Matthew Coleman, Accused of Killing Kids Over QAnon Theories, Is Undergoing Psychological Evaluation in Jail

What a horrible, horrible case. Poor little once. May you both fly with the angels now. This man must have totally "lost it". Very scary...monsters....serpent DNA??? WTF
I would like to understand exactly what “lost it” means?
Is it a medical diagnosis?

Santa Barbara Father Arrested After Children, 1 and 3, Found Dead in Mexico – NBC 7 San Diego (nbcsandiego.com)

QAnon-obsessed California dad, 40, fatally shot two children with a spearfishing gun | Daily Mail Online

Matthew Coleman 'Believed Some Weird Stuff' Before Allegedly Killing Kids | PEOPLE.com

There's many things to think about in this case. Plus, it's possible something new will be revealed eventually.

Many times we might determine whether a person "heard voices telling them to do something", and we call that "mental illness". What if the "voices" he heard were those from the conspiracy theorists, groups like QAnon or the Illuminati, some call them cults, and he sought those voices out, more and more often? Perhaps to the point of madness?

He did confess, and he did say he knew what he was doing was wrong, but he had to "save the world". Is he going to suggest he was brainwashed? He knew what he was doing and that it was wrong. He was following through on his beliefs that someday his children would be monsters. MOO, his beliefs were certainly what was wrong, and he let them override all else.

Is it insanity to sneak around to plan then kill under the wrong beliefs? (Not that there are any right beliefs to kill your children.) This post is just to share all the things going through my mind about this extremely sad, disturbing case. Wondering what's going through your minds. All this has just been my own thoughts and opinions.

As you say: sneaking around planning to kill his children, knew what he was doing was wrong but convinced he had to save the world...

IMO, the legal system doesn't label that as insane. Truly insane people do not plan, do not drive off with their victims, go to a foreign country (passing through customs and immigration), rent a motel room, leave at 5 am when no one else is awake, go to a deserted roadside ditch, ensure the victims are truly dead, move the bodies to cover them with bushes, discard the murder weapon and bloody fabric, and then try to cross back over the border and,... who knows what if he hadn't turned on his phone to check his messages and therefore been located.

None of those things are the actions of an insane person. He won't get away with pleading insanity, IMO.

At worst, he was deluded, but IMO, anyone who plans to kill someone else is deluded: whether it's the delusion that killing one's spouse for their insurance will lead to increased happiness, or that torturing and killing random women is worthwhile because it's sexually exciting, or that setting off bombs or shooting a bunch of people will make you somehow famous and special, all these 'reasons' (greed, lust, hatred, lizard apocalypse) are all deeply delusional.

The important thing, IMO, is that the person surrendered their will to these delusional beliefs, and therefore cannot be trusted ever again.

MOO, a cut and dry way of looking at it.
Everything we do is a choice, if of a sound and healthy brain and mind, we have to be held accountable. It's true that some people can't determine what they are doing. Some people lack the ability to determine right from wrong. Is that the case here? MTC said he knew it was wrong.

It's pretty scary if he's implying that he could not override the conspiracy theories he was feeding himself. He couldn't get in touch with his love for his innocent children, and had to listen to the lies that they came from serpent blood.

How strong are people's beliefs in false Q drops because there were a lot of Q believers at the Capital riot? JMO, it got extremely violent and people believed they had the right to act like that. JMO, it seems "faulty thinking" is believing in things that can be proven false or wrong. It's not the same as insanity when you choose to gobble up conspiracy theories and later use it as an excuse for violence and crimes. All MOO.

Lately, I've heard several little toddlers calling out Daddy, Daddy, Dada, with so much pure trust and adoration for their parent. ;

It still seems like he made the choice to listen more to theories than to what should have been long-established parental love. I bet, right up until the very last minute, that those children looked at him with all their complete trust in him. He could have backed down and not gone through with it. He took it too far. It still was a choice to go forward with it.

Was he really just dissatisfied and maybe unhappy with his life? This is all MOO and thoughts.

I think trying to make sense of the cold-blooded and clearly deliberated murder of these children - indeed, of any child - is by definition impossible, but I also think it is important that we try. What MTC did shocks us, as it should. What he did is so far outside normal behavior, we almost have to think he was crazy. Otherwise, any one of us may find ourselves doing the same thing, and that's too scary to contemplate. IMO

MTC admitted he killed Kaleo and Roxy. He told investigators he knew what he did was wrong, but that it was the only way to save the world. He said he heard and saw signs, from God, telling him to do it. Maybe it was, and maybe he did. I don't know, and I don't think it matters. He will pay society's price for ignoring its rules, regardless. He will be punished, but more importantly, he will not be given the chance to murder anyone else.

That may be the best we can do.

Study finds nearly one-in-five Americans believe QAnon conspiracy theories (nbcnews.com) (somebody here on WS figured it might be about 7 million people)
210526-qanon-mb-1252.JPG

^^^ And they're worried about Lizard People?
Study finds nearly one-in-five Americans believe QAnon conspiracy theories (nbcnews.com)
ETA-- "Washington, we have a problem — politically, informationally and societally — when 15 percent of Americans agree with the QAnon statement that the U.S. government, media and financial worlds “are controlled by a group of Satan-worshipping pedophiles who run a global child sex trafficking operation.”

A large percentage of the people attacking the Capitol probably are Q believers. MOO and JMO, that does not look like sanity, mental health, or civilized behavior. Go ahead, find out what they believe in, and see if it makes sense. It's not a legitimate reason to get violent and start killing. MOO again, they seem to believe they have to resort to violence. I honestly wonder if it's just an excuse to throw a tantrum, misbehave, and be a Hater. What did this surfer father believe his little son and 10 mo. old daughter were going to do anytime soon to destroy the world? His daughter probably wasn't even walking yet. Woe to him when he wakes up from the madness he's been feeding himself. Prayers for his wife and loved ones that have been gutted by what he did.
A Theory About Conspiracy Theories
Sept. 28, 2020 >>>snip... In the most comprehensive analysis to date of people who are prone to conspiracy beliefs, a research team in Atlanta sketched out several personality profiles that appear to be distinct. One is familiar: the injustice collector, impulsive and overconfident, who is eager to expose naïveté in everyone but him- or herself. Another is less so: a more solitary, anxious figure, moody and detached, perhaps including many who are older and living alone. The analysis also found, at the extremes, an element of real pathology — of a “personality disorder,” in the jargon of psychiatry... snipped to reply...
^^^ This was a fascinating post. I've run across some people I thought I knew well, that seem to get caught up in the web of a cult type organization or conspiracy theories, and there's no talking to them after awhile if you want to present an opposing view. MTC's friends voiced he started to use all his brain power to follow out-there-type beliefs. It can make family and friends feel helpless to get through to a person.

This is a 3-part series that may help.
  1. The Psychological Needs That QAnon Feeds | Psychology Today
  2. How Far Down the QAnon Rabbit Hole Did Your Loved One Fall? | Psychology Today
  3. 4 Keys to Help Someone Climb Out of the QAnon Rabbit Hole | Psychology Today
...He said he heard and saw signs, from God, telling him to do it. Maybe it was, and maybe he did. I don't know, and I don't think it matters....

^^^ I don't think he said that in his formal confession.

Did he? Actually, I don't think he mentioned visions, or even God in his formal confession. Did he? I don't see any mention about God, or that God told him to do it. (See the Complaint above.) He only said he was enlightened by the QAnon and the Illuminati conspiracy theories.

Strictly MOO, it matters and is disturbing to me because I know Q believers are known to change, become obstinate to any opposing arguments or logic, and they often start to disengage from nonbelievers. MOO, it's a growing movement, based on non-factual conspiracy theories. Nobody seems to even know who Q is, but they believe things he/she/they said. The Capitol riot attacks had Q signs all over. Now there's others also "dropping Q theories".

Along with other conspiracy groups, beliefs are getting mish mashed together with religion and anything else. making even less sense. MOO, it's nothing new really, cult type beliefs, but the Capitol riots were a wake up call to notice the hold it has on some people and the violence that can come out of those beliefs. MTC will most likely spend the rest of his life locked up. That will have to be enough in this case. It's the future cases that worry me.

Last edited:

Take note that the criminal complaint linked in OP's post is no longer valid. It was amended 8/20/2021.

08/20/2021
#13 AMENDED COMPLAINT filed as to Defendant Matthew Taylor Coleman in violation of 18:1119,1111. Approved by Magistrate Judge Pedro V. Castillo USA. (mhe) (Entered: 08/23/2021)

Take note that the criminal complaint linked in OP's post is no longer valid. It was amended 8/20/2021.
There doesn't seem to be anyway to view it without an ID. Have you viewed it? Is it that much amended so as to include other reasons given for his crime. I don't think he mentioned God telling him to do it, just the QAnon and Illuminati theories, so did he amend his statement?

There doesn't seem to be anyway to view it without an ID. Have you viewed it? Is it that much amended so as to include other reasons given for his crime. I don't think he mentioned God telling him to do it, just the QAnon and Illuminati theories, so did he amend his statement?
You're right, Curious Me. He didn't mention God or visions in his confession. He said he was "enlightened by the Illuminati and Q Anon. I must have conflated his confession with his SM posts about his daughter's birth. Thank you for the correction! My apologies to the thread. This case is confusing enough without me, making it worse..

You're right, Curious Me. He didn't mention God or visions in his confession. He said he was "enlightened by the Illuminati and Q Anon. I must have conflated his confession with his SM posts about his daughter's birth. Thank you for the correction! My apologies to the thread. This case is confusing enough without me, making it worse..
No worries, I don't think we can be precise, at this stage, about what he said.

I strongly suspect the phrasing about him being 'enlighted by conspiracy theories', is a summary by the FBI officer, not a direct quote from the confession. It has that 'just the facts' style that's appropriate for a criminal complaint.

Besides, someone caught up in what we call a conspiracy theory, doesn't refer to it as a conspiracy theory. To them, it's just the truth, reality.

And then there's the issue of whether the confession truly revealed the person's state of mind. Certainly, some people lie to police about why they did it.

During the trial of the Toronto van killer, it was revealed that the “incel” motive he laid out in his confession, was mostly a ruse to increase his notoriety (it worked). Instead, he had long been fixated on mass killings in general, and he was suicidally anxious about starting a new job. The real motive appears to have been that he wanted 'suicide by cop', with a high body count that would make him admired by internet dwellers like himself. Alek Minassian van attack motivated by fear of new job, court hears | Globalnews.ca

MOO, he kind of was talking out of both sides of his mouth. There was the God talk, and then the conspiracy theories he only seemed to share with certain people.
animated-dividing-line-image-0215.gif

"But as 2021 progressed, the conversations changed. "He'd tell me about stuff he read online," says the friend. "Conspiracies. But he'd present it like, 'I read something really crazy. Isn't that ridiculous?'"

"But then," the friend continues, "he'd start adding things like, 'yeah, but when you think about it, it all makes a lot of sense.' It was like he was starting to believe them. And he spent a lot of time looking at these conspiracies. He devoted a lot of brain power to them. It became clear to me that he believed some weird stuff."

"But the friend tells PEOPLE that he never dreamed that Coleman's beliefs would lead to violence."

"I need to be clear about something," says the friend. "He never said anything that led me to believe that he was a danger to himself or anyone else. We're all pretty conservative, and this was not just conservative political talk. This was just out there. Stuff that made zero sense to me."
animated-dividing-line-image-0096.gif

The Coleman Murders: A Community in Shock - The Santa Barbara Independent
“It’s heavy. It’s so heavy,” said a surfing community insider who knew Matthew Taylor Coleman, having encountered him often at the beach..."

[...]
"The man who spoke with the Independent asked to remain anonymous, but he is someone who has taught surfing in the area for many years. Just a month ago, he said he had run into Coleman at a beach, and they stood together, watching their students surf. They talked about being dads and life in general, and Coleman seemed his usual cheerful self, speaking in terms of love and God, and of getting to teach his son to stand on a board, Santa Barbara’s surfing tribe was heartbroken, the surf instructor said, and shocked that someone who preached about right and wrong so frequently would all of a sudden do something so dark."
[...]
"The instructor said his school has been inundated with calls from parents whose children had attended Coleman’s school and were worried about how to talk about this with their kids,"

MOO, a cut and dry way of looking at it.
Everything we do is a choice, if of a sound and healthy brain and mind, we have to be held accountable. It's true that some people can't determine what they are doing. Some people lack the ability to determine right from wrong. Is that the case here? MTC said he knew it was wrong.

It's pretty scary if he's implying that he could not override the conspiracy theories he was feeding himself. He couldn't get in touch with his love for his innocent children, and had to listen to the lies that they came from serpent blood.

How strong are people's beliefs in false Q drops because there were a lot of Q believers at the Capital riot? JMO, it got extremely violent and people believed they had the right to act like that. JMO, it seems "faulty thinking" is believing in things that can be proven false or wrong. It's not the same as insanity when you choose to gobble up conspiracy theories and later use it as an excuse for violence and crimes. All MOO.

Lately, I've heard several little toddlers calling out Daddy, Daddy, Dada, with so much pure trust and adoration for their parent. ;

It still seems like he made the choice to listen more to theories than to what should have been long-established parental love. I bet, right up until the very last minute, that those children looked at him with all their complete trust in him. He could have backed down and not gone through with it. He took it too far. It still was a choice to go forward with it.

Was he really just dissatisfied and maybe unhappy with his life? This is all MOO and thoughts.
I agree, and I think about the time he had with them alone in the car and the hotel room. What did they do? What did he say to them? I would imagine the 3 year old wondered why Mommy wasn’t there too and the 10 month old baby certainly needs a lot of loving care. If he was so convinced that they were “monsters”, why didn’t he just kill them in the house instead of he going through all the trouble of taking them to a hotel in Tijuana, spending the night and then murder them the next day? I think he’s full of crap and was just unhappy with his life and didn’t want to be a Dad anymore. And the fact that he didn’t kill the very source of the “serpent blood”, his wife, is a bit curious too. IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back