Mexico Mexico - Kat Hammontre, 68, US citizen, Baja California, 11 April 2019

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by doodles1211, Apr 16, 2019.

1. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

there's lots of info posted on Warren's (her husband) FB page for those interested ... an explanation of exactly what happened from one of the hikers David and Warren

2. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

Interested but no FB account to look. Please keep us posted if there is anything that you can safely relay here.

GarAndTeed and slowpoke like this.
  3. slowpoke

slowpoke Well-Known Member

I don’t have FB either, but saw some of what LadyL might be referring to. Try putting “Kat and her dog are missing” in google.

GarAndTeed and AzPistonsGirl like this.
  4. ilovechili

ilovechili Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info. Appreciate it!

5. TatianaBarbie

TatianaBarbie Well-Known Member

6. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

just go to Kat's page and you can find Warren's from there
    I'm not allowed to link his

ETA:

oh wait, you mean you don't have FB so can't look?
    hm darn

7. FlamingoLady

FlamingoLady Well-Known Member

Two thoughts:
    1. She stopped close to the entrance of the hiking area. IMO, this means she was closer, rather than further, from her husband who was waiting in the car.
    2. She was a well known blogger. I wonder if she may have blogged about something that someone took offense to?

Just brainstorming....

8. FlamingoLady

FlamingoLady Well-Known Member

Wow! It really sounds like she just vanished. It seems like they are pulling out all the stops to find this poor lady and her dog. Hoping for the best.

9. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

Her blog was mostly nature and local events, no politics, no drama. Good thought though but I checked it out and it's pretty tame and she doesn't post a lot.

Elainera, TatianaBarbie, byo and 4 others like this.
  10. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Is there a map showing the trailhead where the vehicles were parked (where her husband was also) and Kat’s last known location by the stream on the trail path?

How far is it between these two points?

It sounds like it is a well defined trail?

frisson, sassyblue and Suglo like this.
  11. DAMages

DAMages Active Member

Here's a link to information about the hike which contains a link to a Google map...

Hike to the Waterfalls at Cañon del Diablo

If you go here on the regular Google Maps in satellite you can see a bit. There are also some 360 degree images taken by people along the road and in the first part of the hike to the falls.

Google Maps

12. Elana619

Elana619 Member

This is why when I hike in a group I always agree with everyone that we DO NOT leave each other alone. If someone is tired, we stop. If someone cant make it, we turn around. The hike and summit will always be there but its just not worth it to separate. Also I am confused. The friends left her behind and then when they returned they noticed her missing later in the day? Wouldn't they have noticed she was missing when they returned to the spot she was at? Or was it a loop?
    It is VERY easy to get off trail and become disoriented. It happened to me once and scared the crap out of me. I don't know where the hike was but the vastness of trees and land can look so similar when their are no markers that we in an industrialized area are used to seeing- restaraunts, hotel, etc.

13. ilovechili

Just checking in. No news it looks like?

I just do not get this one. If she was in poor health with broken toes I just cannot see her wandering far or getting very far.

Continuing to have hope though.

14. EmmieA

EmmieA Member

Someone upthread mentioned googling “kay and her dog missing” and if you do you can find a great forum about the Baja California area. There’s a Kat thread w/a lot of local knowledge (people who know the area/terrain and the trail that Kat was on.) Lots of great info if you’re curious. I don’t think I can link it here bc also has FB posts from her husband.

Beanpot, Suglo, Elainera and 3 others like this.
  15. ilovechili

Thank you EmmieA.

16. Jilllian

Jilllian Verified Insider - Jennifer Ramsaran Case

It always seems super fishy to me when family members constantly use "I" when speaking of missing loved ones. Sigh.

17. slowpoke

slowpoke Well-Known Member

This is just too, too eerie: Kat made a series of 6 short videos in 2015 during a time she got lost in that same general area of the desert (at least, I think it’s the same area) while driving around her dune buggy and documents it in real time. I haven’t finished watching them all, but a lot of Kat’s thoughts and mindset for being in that predicament can be learned.

As I said, I haven’t watched them all yet, but some things she has said while in her situation: that she’s “directionally challenged”, should “stay in one place. Don’t start wandering”, “I’ll make it back. I’m a survivor. I’ve survived a lot worse than this. And I’m not a-scared.”

Disclosure—I did not discover these videos on my own. Someone from that site I mentioned if you google “Kat and her dog are missing” posted about them.

Look for the 6 videos labeled “The Quackery of Kat”
    Katherine Hammontré

18. tigerteeth

tigerteeth Well-Known Member

I don’t see any news updates. Anyone with Facebook see any updates per the links?

19. Suglo

Suglo Well-Known Member

There’s a post from April 20, 2019 on the Valle de San Quintin FB page in Spanish that explains that the authorities and SAR have not found a trace of Kat or her dog and have called off the search. Also they say that her husband placed a cross at the place she was last seen. They mention at the very end that Baja’s Attorney General’s Office (PGJE) is investigating the case. I can’t find anything else public thereafter.

Valle de San Quintin

20. bmacmillan1

bmacmillan1 Well-Known Member

This is so sad that Kat and Tootsie have still not been found. Is there a chance that they were taken by a wild animal? I presume there are wild animals n the area of the hike.

modesty blaise and Beanpot like this.