Mexico - Radioactive Med Equip Stolen; Found in Mexico

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Cherry, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Cherry

Cherry Pie

2. Loading...

3. belimom

belimom Our lives begin to end the day we become silent ab

This sounds like something from '24'. Although there is a sense of justice, I can't bring myself to say that I'm happy they will die. I'm not. I'm sure they are suffering now, if they have not already succumbed to the radiation poisoning. :(

4. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

Wow, that is one scary story. Just random theives? Or random theives hired by someone else to steal the truck and bring the contents to an arranged location but didn't quite complete the transaction before getting sick/scared? We will may never know.

5. EGirl

EGirl #RockportStrong

You took the words right out of my head. We need to know WHO took this truck and for what reason.

Part of me thinks, if they knew what they had,they never would have opened it though.

Maybe just petty thieves that got more than they bargained for?

6. belimom

I'm leaning towards petty thieves - well, not 'petty' because LE seems to think they were after the crane. But I don't think they were after the radioactive materials, or they wouldn't have opened it and then left, IMO.

7. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

I am hoping that they can determine if all of the cobalt has been accounted for/recovered.

8. belimom

9. Reader

Reader New Member

Police block Mexico hospital where 6 may have radiation

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/12/06/police-block-mexico-hospital-6-may-have-radiation/

PACHUCA, Mexico – Federal police blocked access Friday to a central Mexico hospital where six people were reportedly admitted with a possibly lethal dose of radiation.

An official familiar with the case confirmed Mexican media reports that the six have been admitted to the general hospital in the city of Pachuca and may have been exposed to a stolen source of cobalt-60......more......

10. angela

angela New Member

This is sad. The thieves were up to no good but I hate to think of people having radiation poisoning. It's a terrible way to go.

11. belimom

These must be the thieves. Six? Wow. The driver and other man said there were (at least) two that beat them and took the truck. I guess there were more waiting.

I feel sorry for them, but I am glad that it seems they may have been found. I've been watching - thanks for posting!

12. belimom

13. belimom

It's not clear but it seems that these may be the suspects after all. When released, they were released into custody, not released to go home.

14. margarita25

margarita25 Jessica Ridgeway. Never Forgotten.

From the above link:

[​IMG]
    CNSNS via AFP - Getty Images
    Photo released by Mexican authorities shows the radiotherapy device, containing radioactive material, being loaded for transport before it was stolen.