Mexico Mexico - Tahnee Shanks, 32, Australian, missing from Merida, Yucatán, 30 April 2022

here is a non -paywalled link that @Beans posted

“A video of a woman being forced into a van has reportedly been seized in Mexico as police investigate the disappearance of Australian woman Tahnee Shanks.”

this doesn't sound like someone giving over her child.. this at least sounds like an abduction

what on earth is going on here
this seems really off, who are these other people, the family doesn't seem to know them and if they were travelling with another couple or family you would have thought Tahnee would have mentioned it to someone

i don't think a Mum would leave her daughter even more so being mothers day on Sunday and she didn't contact anyone

very very grim
im not sure when Aussie Mothers Day is, but Mexican Mothers Day was the following Tuesday.

[...]
Mr Shanks said the family was worried not enough was being done to find his sister. "I've had absolutely nothing from anyone to be honest," he said. "I understand it's an ongoing investigation but I'm getting worried now that not much is happening.

When two-year-old Adelynn arrived in Queensland safely, the family issued a statement that said they were happy Mexican police were throwing every resource into the case. But Mr Shanks said he did not believe this anymore.

"Mum and Ben went into the police station, they got taken into this big fancy board room with TV screens everywhere," he said. "They had a dozen people in there ... we didn't think that many resources were being thrown at it.

"But now I message the investigator who's in charge ... and all I get is 'yes, the investigation is continuing, we're still searching on the ground and checking phone records' ... I knew that two weeks ago."
[...]

Brother takes loan against own home to fund reward for Australian mother Tahnee Shanks, missing in Mexico

Sad to read that this investigation seems to be stalling.

AFAIK, neither Tahnee or her ex-BF have been located. If the ex-BF was seen at the church in Cancun where Adelynn was found, then that suggests he did not disappear with Tahnee. Also, the vehicle they were using was found burned some distance from Cancun. Since vehicles rarely catch on fire by themselves, it would appear someone started that fire intentionally. MOO

Apparently, $70,000 equals one million pesos. Which is a considerable amount, and hopefully will spur the information they need to find Tahnee.

Dan's advertised reward is posted on David Salomon's FB page (David Salomon is a public figure in Mexico, a fashion designer), as shown in this Herald Sun article. David Salomon's post already has 395 shares - just posted yesterday - so hopefully word is getting around to the right people.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
I think the family will likely only see action if they hire a private detective to get to the bottom of the matter.

Dan does mention in the Herald Sun article that they have not touched the money that has been raised through crowd funding, and that money will likely be used for a private detective - as well as possibly more flights to Mexico and accommodation if the family needs to go back there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the family will likely only see action if they hire a private detective to get to the bottom of the matter.

Dan does mention in the Herald Sun article that they have not touched the money that has been raised through crowd funding, and that money will likely be used for a private detective - as well as possibly more flights to Mexico and accommodation if the family needs to go back there.
Maybe it would reveal some answers to hire a PI but it doesn't solve the problem of prosecution for any criminal acts if Tahnee is dead.

Hope for the best but plan for the worst! It's very sad and disturbing. And a cautionary tale about citizenship, legal rights and decisions made with poor forethought for potential consequences.

I hope I am wrong and this can end better than circumstances seem to indicate.

MOO

There is a FB started by Tahnee's family called Bring Tahnee Home. They are trying to get it shared in Mexico.

Thanks for posting all the updates, everyone who has done so over the last few weeks, iv been under the weather

i was hoping we'd see a little more movement by now but i guess its a waiting game, its good there is some people in Mexico who are committed to trying to help spread the word

This article references a Courier Mail article (at the very bottom).

Paraphrased from the Courier Mail article ....

There is a woman called Kimberley Davin Degraff who has lived in Mexico for 18 years, she is the one who got involved when Addy was found, pulled as many strings as she could, and helped Addy's family get her out of Mexico and to Australia. She filed the missing persons report and connected the family with the 'right people'.

Ms Davin Degraff is founder of Yucatan Giving Outreach. Yucatan Giving Outreach A.C. a nonprofit foundation
She works (as a volunteer) with 9 different organisations, helping DV and sex trafficking victims.

She says that Cancun is a mecca for bad things, and when Addy was found without her mum "all her bells and whistles went off".

She says that the last confirmed sighting of Tahnee was when they reached the police checkpoint at Merida, then turned around and went back toward Cancun (where Addy was found). She says there are about 200 small villages along the route back, and lots of little side roads. She is not privvy to whether Tahnee/Addy/Jorge were sighted anywhere on the way back to Cancun.

She says if Tahnee is a victim of sex trafficking, it would be more common for her to be found dumped along the side of the road with no recollection of what had happened to her over the previous months.

Tahnee had moved to Merida (when Addy was a young baby) because Cancun had grown too dangerous.

It is 4 hours from Merida to Cancun. There is 8 hours from when Tahnee was last seen at the Merida checkpoint, and Addy turned up on the streets of Cancun.

Last edited:
60 Minutes is doing a feature on Tahnee's disappearance tomorrow (Sunday) night.

Going by the preview (in the link) it sounds as if there is speculation that the cartels are involved.

It surprises me that they are looking into cartel activity after the following text was released. The text was sent weeks before the disappearance, as well, so it was likely not a cover-up text by a perpetrator.

RSBM and BBM

This comes after texts shared by the Daily Mercury revealed Ms Shanks asked a friend to remember the name of her husband in the weeks before she went missing.

“I know this is gunna sound weird but keep (his) name. Jorge Luis Aguirre Astudillo! Just in case anything happens to me they can go after him,” she wrote.

“Not that anything will! But I just want to keep that as a backup.”

MOO, but the text sounds like one of the hundreds, if not thousands, of cases where a victim has a premonition of their impending harm and communicates that to someone close only to go missing or be found dead soon after.

It surprises me that they are looking into cartel activity after the following text was released. The text was sent weeks before the disappearance, as well, so it was likely not a cover-up text by a perpetrator.

RSBM and BBM

MOO, but the text sounds like one of the hundreds, if not thousands, of cases where a victim has a premonition of their impending harm and communicates that to someone close only to go missing or be found dead soon after.

I wonder if Jorge was linked with any cartel.

What concerns me about this (and maybe we will learn more in the 60 Minutes show) is that there were reports of Tahnee being seen uncontrollably off her face, right after Addy turned up on the streets.

Well, that was interesting. The 60 Minutes segment on Tahnee.

It seems that Addy is only 2½ years old. No wonder she can't tell anything about what happened.

Tahnee told her good friend that Jorge was a criminal, and they think that is why Tahnee wanted to come home to Australia. That things were getting scary.

An unidentified Mexican official (perhaps a police officer in a uniform - if they named him, I missed it) thinks that Jorge and Tahnee have been taken in some kind of act of revenge.

They had only driven 20 miles out of Cancun toward Merida, after leaving their Cancun hotel, when they suddenly turned around and took a detour in Cancun (got off the main route). That's when the last ping on Jorge's phone happened just after midday. They think that maybe they were being followed.

Jorge was a known fraudster. He sold fake holiday packages. The official said Jorge had been threatened before, and had even hired a body guard because he was afraid.

The official believes that Addy was dumped near the church in an effort to safeguard her.

Tahnee had not told Jorge she intended to stay in Australia (as per her friend), Jorge thought she was just bringing Addy here in June for a holiday.

What a gorgeous girl Addy is. Plenty of footage shown of her, happily playing with other children. She is very fortunate that she has such a loving family to take her in.

Last edited:

ITA! MOO sadly I think when it comes to the point that you are writing those words you're already in big trouble. If someone ever told me something like that I would tell them to run! run! run right now! but even then it would probably be too late. <tears>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back