MI - 14 men charged in plot to kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer, Oct 2020 *8 guilty, 5 NG*

Thanks for that article. I am confused though - I have Day 3 for Friday.
Wednesday - 8/10 - day 1 was opening statements & first witness Reineck.
Thursday - 8/11 - day 2 - Agent Reineck back on stand
Friday - 8/12 - day 3... Agents Long & Schweers

Where did I go wrong??

Possibly, the author is counting Jury selection as Day one?
You are not as confused as you think you are!! Yay!!

Oh good! LOL!

Yes sometimes the reporters leave the jury selection as one day counted with the trial dates. So I shall keep on - keeping on... :D And Thanks!

Oh - I wanted to ask you if you can access Jackson County in Michigan? I am looking for the guys in post #605 - TIA!

Oh - I wanted to ask you if you can access Jackson County in Michigan? I am looking for the guys in post #605 - TIA!

I could not get any info from the Jackson Cty site, sorry.
But...I did find this article regarding the three defendants:

"JACKSON, MI -- Ahead of what is expected to be a lengthy trial, a Jackson judge ruled on several motions Tuesday related to a plot to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

Attorneys involved in the case of Joseph Morrison, Pete Musico and Paul Bellar appeared before Jackson Circuit Judge Thomas Wilson Aug. 9 for a hearing on several motions related to their upcoming trial, scheduled for Oct. 3."

I could not get any info from the Jackson Cty site, sorry.
But...I did find this article regarding the three defendants:

"JACKSON, MI -- Ahead of what is expected to be a lengthy trial, a Jackson judge ruled on several motions Tuesday related to a plot to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

Attorneys involved in the case of Joseph Morrison, Pete Musico and Paul Bellar appeared before Jackson Circuit Judge Thomas Wilson Aug. 9 for a hearing on several motions related to their upcoming trial, scheduled for Oct. 3."

Thank you for the article - I too can not access the court site. And I have their trial starting on 10/10.

Monday, August 15th:
*Trial continues (Day 4) (Federal case) (@ am CT) - MI – Plot to kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer - *Adam Dean Fox (38/now 39) (born 1983) of Grand Rapids, *Barry Gordon Croft, Jr. (44/now 45) (no birth date given) from Bear, Delaware arrested & charged (10/8/20) & indicted (12/17/20) with conspiracy to commit kidnapping. All charged with a federal crime. All are being held without bond. Both plead not guilty (12/17/20).
*Adam Dean Fox additional charges (4/28/21) with knowingly conspiring to use weapons of mass destruction against persons or property in addition to the kidnapping conspiracy charged in October 2020. The superseding indictment further alleges that Fox, Croft & Harris intended to use the devices to destroy a nearby bridge, in effect, harming & hindering the governor’s security detail and any responding law enforcement officers.
*Barry Gordon Croft, Jr. additional charges (4/28/21) with knowingly conspiring to use weapons of mass destruction against persons or property in addition to the kidnapping conspiracy charged in October 2020. The superseding indictment further alleges that Fox, Croft & Harris intended to use the devices to destroy a nearby bridge, in effect, harming & hindering the governor’s security detail & any responding law enforcement officers & superseding indictment also alleges that on Sept. 13, 2020 in Lake County, Michigan, Croft & Harris knowingly possessed a destructive device that was not registered to them in the National Firearms Registration & Transfer Record as required by federal law.
Re-Trial (for Fox & Croft) began on 8/9/22 with jury selection, trial began on 8/10/22. Jury: 12 jurors & 6 alternates. 8/10/22: Juror out sick replaced with alternate. 12 jurors & 5 alternates.
Criminal Complaint & court info & first trial from 10/9/20 thru 6/30/22 & Re-Trial Day, Jury Selection (Day 1-2) 8/8-8/9/22 & Trial (Day 1-2) 8/10-8/11/22 reference post #612 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...whitmer-oct-2020-garbin-guilty.546457/page-31

8/12/22 Friday, Trial Day 3: State witnesses: FBI Special Agent Christopher Long. FBI Special Agent Mark Schweers.
for more info see post #619 & 626 (articles) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...whitmer-oct-2020-2-guilty-2-ng.546457/page-31
Trial continues on Monday, 8/15/22.

*Daniel Harris (24) – Found not guilty (4/8/22).
*Brandon Caserta (33) – Found not guilty (4/8/22).
*Ty Gerard Garbin (24) - Plead guilty (1/27/21) to kidnapping conspiracy & was sentenced (8/25/21) to 6 years & 3 months in Federal prison. Garbin will testify at the trial of the other defendants. Lengthy testimony & repeated debriefings have been critical in building a case to counter defense arguments that revolve around free speech issues as well as accusations of entrapment by federal undercover informants, Nils R. Kessler, the lead U.S. attorney on the case.
Kaleb James Franks (26) – Plead guilty (2/7/22) to kidnapping conspiracy. Will testify at trial & will be sentencing afterwards.
(State: for Antrim County preliminary hearings on 8/29/22 & Jackson County pretrial hearing on 8/9/22 & trial starts 10/10/22).

"Chappel is a 35-year-old Army veteran... He found 'Wolverine Watchmen' group via a suggested group on Facebook. He says he was looking for a pro 2nd amendment group to join. Wanted to train to keep skills."

"Chappel: "I became concerned with the group the first day I download the Wire app." Big Dan says he became quickly concerned that the group was training to target & kill law enforcement officers. "

"When asked if he considered himself the leader of the group, Chappel said no. Prosecutor: Who did you consider the leader? Chappel: Adam Fox"

"Chappel says the group attended a Black Lives Matter protest at one point with the intention of engaging police in a gun fight if they began pepper spraying or attacking protesters. Says the Wolverine Watchmen were not white supremacists. "

The above quotes obtained from Michael Martin Twitter. Link here:

I listened to court proceedings today. The Governments CHS, or 'Confidential Human Source' "Big' Dan Chappel was on the stand. Cross exam, by Fox's attorney.

He was paid $$$, and wore a wire constantly.

He testified that the group were not white supremacists.

He said that he told FBI handlers that he was worried that members of the Wolverine Watchmen,( he was acting as a lead member) were getting ready for violence outside the Michigan Capital in Lansing in April of 2020. Through his wearing of the wire, he alerted the FBI, and shortly thereafter, the State Police at the Capital in Michigan let the protesters in.!!!! ( Under direction of the FBI ) Some of the protesters were armed!

(Where have I heard this before? I am experiencing a bit of deja-vu here...)

The court is finished for today, Chappel will return tomorrow, and cross exam will continue.

DejaVu explained
From an article on October 13, 2020:

"Steven M. D’Antuono, who was named chief of the Detroit FBI office a year ago, has been promoted to head the Washington Field Office, a coveted post in the bureau."

" During D'Antuono's short reign, he saw FBI cases lead to indictments, including ex-UAW presidents Dennis Williams and Gary Jones and ex-Macomb County officials.

The top D.C. FBI Field Office is one of the biggest in the bureau's network. It gets involved in public corruption cases on Capitol Hill, as well as investigating counterterrorism locally and overseas. "

Also, noted by me...there was not a bit off information or discussion of the notorious Nassar case vs gymmnasts....which the FBI ( Michigan ) sat on and did nothing for over 18 months. Go figure

Dan, 35, a former U.S. Army veteran who served in Iraq, told jurors how he joined the militia, then began to fear they were going to kill cops, told a cop friend about it and begrudgingly agreed to go undercover for the FBI.

He said he initially feared going undercover due to safety concerns for his young daughter, but did it anyway because he feared for the lives of police officers, saying the militia members were looking for the addresses of various cops.

"They were training to target law enforcement to kill them," Dan testified. "I had no idea what these individuals were capable of."

Brandon Caserta, one of the men acquitted on all charges in the first trial, was milling around the courthouse in downtown Grand Rapids today. Defense attorneys have said they may call him & Daniel Harris to the stand during this retrial of Fox & Croft.

Here's a couple of more tweets.

Michael E Martin
@MichaelMartinGR
·
19h
Undercover FBI agent Mark Schweers says on the stand that the long drives with defendants were difficult, as he is “an introvert’s introvert”.

Government will call “Big” Dan Chappel next.
·
19h
Undercover FBI agent Mark Schweers says on the stand that the long drives with defendants were difficult, as he is “an introvert’s introvert”.

Government will call “Big” Dan Chappel next. (@FOX17) twitter.com/michaelmarting…

·
16h
Before we get to defense attorneys cross-examining Dan Chappel, we are hearing from Barry Croft's girlfriend Chastity Knight, 42.

"He doesn't like the government, he's anti-government" she said. Knight still takes care of Croft's children full-time.

link: https://twitter.com/MichaelMartinGR

Tuesday, August 16th:
*Trial continues (Day 5) (Federal case) (@ am CT) - MI – Plot to kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer - *Adam Dean Fox (38/now 39) (born 1983) of Grand Rapids, *Barry Gordon Croft, Jr. (44/now 45) (no birth date given) from Bear, Delaware arrested & charged (10/8/20) & indicted (12/17/20) with conspiracy to commit kidnapping. All charged with a federal crime. All are being held without bond. Both plead not guilty (12/17/20).
*Adam Dean Fox additional charges (4/28/21) with knowingly conspiring to use weapons of mass destruction against persons or property in addition to the kidnapping conspiracy charged in October 2020. The superseding indictment further alleges that Fox, Croft & Harris intended to use the devices to destroy a nearby bridge, in effect, harming & hindering the governor’s security detail and any responding law enforcement officers.
*Barry Gordon Croft, Jr. additional charges (4/28/21) with knowingly conspiring to use weapons of mass destruction against persons or property in addition to the kidnapping conspiracy charged in October 2020. The superseding indictment further alleges that Fox, Croft & Harris intended to use the devices to destroy a nearby bridge, in effect, harming & hindering the governor’s security detail & any responding law enforcement officers & superseding indictment also alleges that on Sept. 13, 2020 in Lake County, Michigan, Croft & Harris knowingly possessed a destructive device that was not registered to them in the National Firearms Registration & Transfer Record as required by federal law.
Re-Trial (for Fox & Croft) began on 8/9/22 with jury selection, Trial began on 8/10/22. Jury: 12 jurors & 6 alternates. 8/10/22: Juror out sick replaced with alternate. 12 jurors & 5 alternates.
Criminal Complaint & court info & first trial from 10/9/20 thru 6/30/22 & Re-Trial Day, Jury Selection (Day 1-2) 8/8-8/9/22 & Trial (Day 1-3) 8/10-8/12/22 reference post #628 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...whitmer-oct-2020-garbin-guilty.546457/page-32

8/15/22 Monday, Trial Day 4: State witnesses: Undercover FBI agent Mark Schweers back on stand for cross exam. Chastity Knight, Croft's girlfriend. “Big” Dan Chappel.
for more info see post #629, 631 to 633 (twitter) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...whitmer-oct-2020-2-guilty-2-ng.546457/page-32
Trial continues on 8/16/22.

*Daniel Harris (24) – Found not guilty (4/8/22).
*Brandon Caserta (33) – Found not guilty (4/8/22).
*Ty Gerard Garbin (24) - Plead guilty (1/27/21) to kidnapping conspiracy & was sentenced (8/25/21) to 6 years & 3 months in Federal prison. Garbin will testify at the trial of the other defendants. Lengthy testimony & repeated debriefings have been critical in building a case to counter defense arguments that revolve around free speech issues as well as accusations of entrapment by federal undercover informants, Nils R. Kessler, the lead U.S. attorney on the case.
Kaleb James Franks (26) – Plead guilty (2/7/22) to kidnapping conspiracy. Will testify at trial & will be sentencing afterwards.
(State: for Antrim County preliminary hearings on 8/29/22 & Jackson County pretrial hearing on 8/9/22 & trial starts 10/10/22).

Listening in ( Court) myself again this am. Wow! Big Dan Chappel stated in his cross, that he was paid $$$, in cash....for his time and services.

Big Dan stated that he offered Fox a Credit Card for 5000.00 multiple times, but Fox never took it. Chappel states his FBI handlers encouraged him to keep trying.

Here is a linked tweet, stating similar:

"Judge Jonker allows Chris Gibbons (Fox's attorney) to bring up an incident where Chappel sent someone the recipe for a "drano bomb". It was not sent to either Fox or Croft. "

"Joshua Blanchard is now cross-examining Chappel... Chappel met with prosecutors multiple times between last trial & this retrial. Says he only texted with handling FBI agents “that I did well (in the last trial) and logistics to get up here."

"Chappel to Blanchard: “I wanted to protect lives, that’s why I stayed in the group... I never expected anything throughout the investigation. I wanted to stop bad things from happening to good people” Blanchard questions why Chappel needed a $4K laptop reimbursed by the FBI. "

"Chappel begins talking about wanting to go to college at some point in the future. Says he purchased the $4K laptop with his own money for school, but that the FBI wanted to see his receipts & wanted to pay for the laptop. Laptop was bought ~3 weeks before arrests."

Thanks to everyone who continues to follow and post about this case. I try to read here and see or hear local media reports but not following the case closely. I remember starting the discussion when it was * breaking news* but have lost interest.

Blanchard, Croft's attorney was brutal on cross, IMO

The repeated questions I heard today, regarding if/when Croft was ever present at many of the recorded meetings with the "Watchmen" group were always answered with a "No" by Big Dan Chappel.

Croft may be acquitted due to this cross.( IMO )

Fox? Not so sure yet. Although he did live in a basement room, under a vacuum repair shop with no running water....
Doesn't seem like a brilliant schemer/type to me...just sayin

Trial continues...

"On re-direct, prosecutors say Dan Chappel was 'XO' of Wolverine Watchmen, or the 'executive officer'. Chappel claims this was nothing more than a title, that he could not give anyone orders."

"Dan Chappel has completed his testimony...
Scott Robertson with the ATF is called by the Government, says he checked their records & saw no record of Barry Croft ever registering an explosive device."

"Next, Government calls Matthew Keepers, a man they allege Adam Fox was considering trying to acquire explosives through. Keepers was at one point trying to become a 'blaster' for Lafarge, a company with a quarry in Alpena "

"Keepers says Fox asked him over Facebook to join their group, but didn't join as he wouldn't have time. Fox allegedly in a message: "We are a militia group... won't be no egos... no f---ing drama... We gonna be a family bro. When the time comes, we will all fight together."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back