MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
In his opening remarks prior to the unscheduled participation of audience members (Part 2 of board meeting linked in post #348), the Board President cautions the audience: "This is not a dialogue. Don't ask us questions. We're not going to answer." Under this administration, parents have not been included in the decisions or policies that daily impact their children. If they do attend school board meetings to express concerns, they are told that they can't ask questions and won't be answered if they do. The Superintendent sets the tone in the school district. Moving forward, Oxford Community Schools needs someone new at the helm who will guide the elected officials of the Board of Education to more openness and transparency in the district. Parents are angry, justifiably so, that they have no say in the education of their children. JMO

"This is not a dialogue. Don't ask us questions. We're not going to answer."

Perhaps this authoritarian and arrogant attitude is precisely why Nov. 30 happened. This school district is going to pay dearly - on multiple levels - for such indefensible hubris. A lot of the top dogs blithely blew through multiple, screaming red flags over days and weeks - they should be FIRED.

So I don't know if any of you heard anything, but my mom works in a school district. She just got an email that her school will have increased police presence tomorrow. This is due to the fact that there is a TikTok challenge in which students around the nation are encouraged to make threats against their schools tomorrow, Dec. 17. It's in the news as well.

Nationwide TikTok challenge causes several school districts to take heightened precautions

'We are aware of this': DMV officials respond to TikTok-based school shooting threat
Yes! I just came to post about this. I work for the school district in my county and they sent out the following email this afternoon:

Attention Staff,

It has come to our attention that TikTok messages have been circulating nationwide regarding school threats for Friday, December 17th. These posts did not originate from our area, and there have been no local, credible threats to date.

Based on news reports, the circulating messages have affected many school districts across our nation, and the origin of the threats is currently unknown. Local law enforcement and school officials are aware of the situation and remain vigilant.

Social media is a powerful tool that is often abused. We ask that parents/guardians speak with their children about using social media platforms responsibly, emphasizing that they should not share information which may be inaccurate. As always, it’s critically important that any student, parent/guardian, staff member, or community member who sees or hears something suspicious report it immediately to a trusted adult at school and/or call local law enforcement.

So what will be the next TikTok "challenge?" TikTok can't stop this kind of thing on their platform, and it just gets worse and worse; is this where we are?
I watched a video clip of a segment from one of those late night shows not that long ago. They did that thing where they send an employee out to persuade a passerby on the street to participate in some crazy game or prank. In this particular video, they wanted to see how far people would go (and if they would agree to really crazy stuff) for the latest “Tik Tok Challenge” that didn’t actually exist. One girl completely shaved off an entire eyebrow — willingly. When they told her it wasn’t a real challenge and asked her why she would agree to do that, she had no answer… of course.

My son just started Kindergarten and he came home one day and told me they had a drill where they had to lock the door, hide and be quiet. It was an active shooter drill but they didn't use that name with them. I was heartbroken. I know it's a necessity but my poor, innocent boy shouldn't have to have them. Schools should be a safe place! I was also angry because they didn't even let the parents know it was happening. I know in real life if it were to happen we wouldn't know, but for those of us that have kids that have anxiety, I like to talk to my child about things happening.

The high school where he is supposed to go when he gets that age, had a scare this week. Told the kids that if they left school it would be counted against them as an absence. Disgraceful.

BBM

What child could experience our world's insanity and not have anxiety? Even if we attempt to hide the stark and evil horrors from them, the cells in their little bodies absorb the terrors of the collective unconscious.

All we can do is Love our Neighbour. If each one of us worked to do just that, the world would have a chance to heal.

So I don't know if any of you heard anything, but my mom works in a school district. She just got an email that her school will have increased police presence tomorrow. This is due to the fact that there is a TikTok challenge in which students around the nation are encouraged to make threats against their schools tomorrow, Dec. 17. It's in the news as well.

Nationwide TikTok challenge causes several school districts to take heightened precautions

'We are aware of this': DMV officials respond to TikTok-based school shooting threat

I'm in upstate NY. My son is in 9th grade and I work in a BOCES. Both of our schools have sent out emails regarding this and my school is having extra administration on campus today (small school). We are in session until next Thursday.

I'm not a praying person, but I pray for our children and schools.

I watched a video clip of a segment from one of those late night shows not that long ago. They did that thing where they send an employee out to persuade a passerby on the street to participate in some crazy game or prank. In this particular video, they wanted to see how far people would go (and if they would agree to really crazy stuff) for the latest “Tik Tok Challenge” that didn’t actually exist. One girl completely shaved off an entire eyebrow — willingly. When they told her it wasn’t a real challenge and asked her why she would agree to do that, she had no answer… of course.

I can believe this - they ate tide pods!

My son just started Kindergarten and he came home one day and told me they had a drill where they had to lock the door, hide and be quiet. It was an active shooter drill but they didn't use that name with them. I was heartbroken. I know it's a necessity but my poor, innocent boy shouldn't have to have them. Schools should be a safe place! I was also angry because they didn't even let the parents know it was happening. I know in real life if it were to happen we wouldn't know, but for those of us that have kids that have anxiety, I like to talk to my child about things happening.

The high school where he is supposed to go when he gets that age, had a scare this week. Told the kids that if they left school it would be counted against them as an absence. Disgraceful.

RE no advance notice to parents: The rationale is to treat it like a fire drill - and parents are not given advance notice of those, either. For young kids, the schools have different names - like “bears hibernate” or “squirrel loose in building.” The school doesn’t want a parent to tell a kid the truth, and then the kid causing panic during the drill. It makes sense from that perspective.

My time in elementary school was pre-Columbine/9-11 - a bit of a golden age, it seems now. Fast-forward to today and our preschool hired an armed town police officer to be present at all operating hours and the infant room teachers participate in active shooter drills.

Humans of all ages have a need to be a member of a group. It's biological.
Teens feel a desperation to "fit in."
They like challenges - sports, artistic pursuits...
Maybe they need adults to better guide them into the right kinds of challenges.

This kid's parents taught him how to use a deadly weapon.

Humans of all ages have a need to be a member of a group. It's biological.
Teens feel a desperation to "fit in."
They like challenges - sports, artistic pursuits...
Maybe they need adults to better guide them into the right kinds of challenges.

This kid's parents taught him how to use a deadly weapon.

Let's not forget that Mom also wanted Ethan to "learn not to get caught".

So what will be the next TikTok "challenge?" TikTok can't stop this kind of thing on their platform, and it just gets worse and worse; is this where we are?

yep, new challenges go viral within hours...it started with TidePods, snorting cinnamon/nutmeg, and now shot up your school challenge.
No one at TikTok thought to maybe shut this down asap? ban the accounts and report to the FBI, versus letting it go viral for over a week now?

"This is not a dialogue. Don't ask us questions. We're not going to answer."

Perhaps this authoritarian and arrogant attitude is precisely why Nov. 30 happened. This school district is going to pay dearly - on multiple levels - for such indefensible hubris. A lot of the top dogs blithely blew through multiple, screaming red flags over days and weeks - they should be FIRED.

Now I no why kids just stayed home that day vs contacting the school doesn't sound like they are open or even listen.

TikTok threat of school violence is vague and non-credible but has schools and law enforcement on high alert - CNN
''A vague and viral TikTok trend warning of nationwide school violence on Friday — which authorities have dismissed as non-credible — has nevertheless prompted widespread school closures, stretched law enforcement resources and put families on edge ahead of a critical holiday travel season.
A number of school districts in states ranging from Minnesota to Texas announced they were shutting down schools on Friday in response to a wave of videos, some mentioning specific schools, suggesting that students avoid coming to class on Dec. 17. In other areas, law enforcement were on high alert, sending officers to guard schools as a precaution.
The US Department of Homeland Security said Friday morning it has no evidence to suggest the claims are credible but encouraged the public to "remain alert."

''A federal law enforcement source agreed, telling CNN that authorities worry most that the rapidly unfolding social media narrative could drive a lone offender to carry out an actual attack. The situation is an illustration of the current threat environment in the United States, the source added.
"This is an illustration of how social media and other communication platforms play a role in spreading threat related narratives, which then can result in the need for escalated security measures in and around parts our critical infrastructure," the source said.''

Last edited:
Now I no why kids just stayed home that day vs contacting the school doesn't sound like they are open or even listen.

Anyone who watches the Board president's admonition before the audience participation segment of the meeting begins (Part 2) will know just how deaf, dumb, and blind this administration and school board are :mad: It is beyond shameful that the school board president talks to the adults like they were children. "Your conversation is with me, the Board president, so don't turn around and talk to the person sitting behind you." Unbelievable!!! His arrogant, authoritative tone told me everything I need to know about how this district is run. Parents and students are not respected, and they clearly have no say in the decision-making process that impacts every child in Oxford Community Schools. The so-called leaders in this school district are a disgrace. JMO

Last edited:
yep, new challenges go viral within hours...it started with TidePods, snorting cinnamon/nutmeg, and now shot up your school challenge.
No one at TikTok thought to maybe shut this down asap? ban the accounts and report to the FBI, versus letting it go viral for over a week now?

Oh wow, people have died inhaling cinnamon. I haven't heard the "challenges" have reached the point of actually attacking a school.

Anyone who watches the Board president's admonition before the audience participation segment of the meeting begins (Part 2) will know just how deaf, dumb, and blind this administration and school board are :mad: It is beyond shameful that the school board president talks to the adults like they were children. "Your conversation is with me, the Board president, so don't turn around and talk to the person sitting behind you." Unbelievable!!! His arrogant, authoritative tone told me everything I need to know about how this district is run. Parents and students are not respected, and they clearly have no say in the decision-making process that impacts every child in Oxford Community Schools. The so-called leaders in this school district are a disgrace. JMO

I bet he loses his job soon and will be sued. He is part of the toxic enviroment. No parent will put up this bs,

These Tik Tok challenges are getting out of hand. In September, it was the "devious licks" vandalism challenge. Students had to destroy and/or steal school property. It was so bad at our school that we ended up having to close down all but two bathrooms. October was supposed to be slap a teacher month. Our principal pulled each grade in for a meeting and told them that anyone participating in the challenge would be charged with assault. Now this, on the heels of Oxford. It's not "fun." It's not a joke. Students and staff should not be afraid to go to school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member