MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, shooting at Oxford High School, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is responsible for funding metal detectors in all schools? The district? The individual states?

I believe it’s the school district, unless the state steps up to pay. There was a bill introduced in 2018 in my state to have PA pay. I don’t know what became of it though.
Pa. lawmaker wants to provide money to schools for metal detectors

There was also federal money made available after Parkland.
Congress set aside $1 billion after Parkland. Now schools are starting to use it - Roll Call

ETA: link above may be broken. Here’s another article about Michigan’s use of the federal funds.
Michigan suspended school safety funding program during pandemic

Last edited:
Has it been confirmed that he had a backpack at school?

I went to high school in the Mesozoic age so I have no idea what high school is like these days. Do all HS students have backpacks?

I read that the students only had backpacks and were not using lockers due to COVID-19. I found that curious. JMO

BBM below. My question is why is it impossible to prevent guns from coming into schools? When I attend a concert or sports event, I can’t take a bag, and I’m searched. The courthouse and airport have metal detectors. It’s an expensive solution, but not impossible. JMO

Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, said school officials should have searched Mr. Crumbley’s bag for weapons.

But she said that the steps to prevent gun violence begin far before someone brings a weapon onto school grounds. Ultimately it is lawmakers, not school officials, she argued, who have the power to prevent shootings by passing secure gun storage laws or red flag laws, which allow the police to temporarily confiscate firearms from people who are deemed by a judge to be a danger to themselves or others.

You’re putting educators in an impossible position because they don’t really have the tools to proactively prevent guns from coming into the school,” Ms. Watts said.

In the Michigan Shooting, What Is the School’s Responsibility?

I have worked at many schools, where going through a metal detector is the norm. With security who also wands kids as well. It can be done. And is done at a lot of schools, for the last 25 years.

However, these are usually schools in gang areas, or schools already targeted for high risk volatile students. Working in these schools, you don't even have a pair of scissors in your desk. I have seen pens and pencils used as weapons, so kids had crayon pencils to write with.

Do all schools need to go to that? I believe that teaching school should be considered a high risk job, and there should be a lot of proactive measures to increase school safety, but, as usual, no one is proactive, everything is reactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288