MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, shooting at Oxford High School, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying that he was called into the office because he threatened mass murder? That's the concerning behavior the teachers reported that happened in the classroom?
Could you please provide a link? Thanks!

Michigan school shooting: Superintendent says suspect was called to office but 'no discipline was warranted'

"There’s been a lot of talk about the student that was apprehended, that he was called up into the office and all that kind of stuff. No discipline was warranted. There are no discipline records at the high school,' Throne said in a video message. "

Yeah, right. Maybe that's because threatening mass murder is a police matter, not something to be handled "in-house", with other innocent lives at stake.

I hate to say it, but I can see school admin refusing to dicipline for videos that weren't made at the school, during school hours. I wish that we could count on school districts to immediately report illegal or threatening behavior to police, but they cover things up all of the time. MOO

Moo: It took planning for this kid to do what he did. He publicized it too. To terrorize.

personally, I think most murderers suffer from some sort of mental illness. But that doesn’t mean they didn’t know right from wrong.

From limited public information, JMO there is no way he was so insane to not know right from wrong. Whether he was bullied or mentally ill or both.

I think he had that gun all day at school for a reason (premeditation). Kept it hidden until he was ready to use it (and his victims were most vulnerable) because he knew it was wrong (aware of right and wrong). And killed and terrorized his classmates (premeditated murder, terrorism). Moo.

I read the article and watched the video. The sisters do not say they reported the threats to anyone. "Sisters report social media threats before school shooting" means that they told the interviewer that there were social media threats. If you find anything that says otherwise, please post. Thanks!

"Two Michigan sisters said there were threats about a shooting posted on social media for weeks before a teen opened fire at a high school Tuesday, killing three other students and wounding eight other people."

So they reported the threats and NOTHING was done about it.

Sisters report social media threats before school shooting

School threats close more southeast Michigan school districts Friday (detroitnews.com)

Days after a deadly mass shooting in Oxford, unease and potential threats of violence have school districts across southeast Michigan closed Friday.

More than 30 public school districts and dozens of charter and private schools issued statements or social media posts Thursday announcing the decision. Some were shuttering buildings for a second consecutive day...

School Closings | ClickOnDetroit | Local, Detroit, Michigan News | WDIV Local 4

Charging decision due for parents in Oxford High shooting (audacy.com)

PONTIAC, Mich. (AP) — A prosecutor in Michigan will announce a charging decision Friday involving the parents of a boy who is accused of killing four students at Oxford High School, after saying earlier that their actions went “far beyond negligence," her office said.

“The parents were the only individuals in the position to know the access to weapons,” Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald said Thursday. The gun “seems to have been just freely available to that individual.”...

Last edited:
Charging decision due for parents in Oxford High shooting (audacy.com)

PONTIAC, Mich. (AP) — A prosecutor in Michigan will announce a charging decision Friday involving the parents of a boy who is accused of killing four students at Oxford High School, after saying earlier that their actions went “far beyond negligence," her office said.

“The parents were the only individuals in the position to know the access to weapons,” Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald said Thursday. The gun “seems to have been just freely available to that individual.”...

I think they bought the gun for him, specifically. Not his dad's gun at all. I'm also interested in knowing if all those guns taken out of the house were legally owned and registered.

I think they bought the gun for him, specifically. Not his dad's gun at all. I'm also interested in knowing if all those guns taken out of the house were legally owned and registered.

Agree 100%. EC has likely been brewing and stewing for a while regarding his relationships with peers and/or teachers. The shooting was not a spur-of-the-moment decision: Ethan planned the massacre for which he needed a gun. JMO

Live stream: Charges to be announced against parents of suspected Oxford High School shooter (clickondetroit.com)

The parents of the student accused of opening fire at Oxford High School on Tuesday, fatally wounding four students and injuring several other people, are set to be charged for their role in the tragedy.

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald is scheduled to announce charges on Friday against the parents of Ethan Crumbley, 15, a sophomore student at Oxford High School who was charged as an adult in the shooting...

Watch the announcement live at noon in the video player above.

• The live stream above will carry the court hearing and arraignment, which could happen before the noon news conference. Everything will be streamed here.

Last edited:
Discipline not needed for teenager before Michigan shooting, superintendent says (nbcnews.com)

Tim Throne, leader of Oxford Community Schools, credited students and staff for how they responded to the violence Tuesday.

OXFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A teenager accused of killing four students at a Michigan high school was called to the office before the shooting but “no discipline was warranted,” the superintendent said Thursday in his first extended remarks since the tragedy...

“To say that I am still in shock and numb is probably an understatement. These events that have occurred will not define us,” Throne, grim-faced and speaking slowly, said in a 12-minute video.

Ethan Crumbley, 15, has been charged as an adult with two dozen crimes, including murder, attempted murder and terrorism, for the shooting at the Oakland County school, roughly 30 miles north of Detroit...

Does anyone know how they make a decision to charge a juvenile as an adult so quickly? What is the point of having different standards for juveniles and adults in the criminal justice system if the severity of the crime alone (as it seems here) is the only determining factor?

I am not attempting to defend this shooter or any other juvenile criminals, it just seemed quite knee-jerk to charge him as an adult within hours of the shooting.

Ethan Crumbley’s parents charged with involuntary manslaughter
Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald’s office filed the charges against James and Jennifer Crumbley, the Associated Press reported on Friday, three days after their 15-year-old son allegedly opened fire in the halls of school, killing four classmates and wounding seven others. The parents each face four counts of involuntary manslaughter.

Ms McDonald is expected to formally announce the charges at a press conference at noon.

Under Michigan law, the parents of a child who violates firearm-related statutes on school property or in a school vehicle can be held criminally liable if the parent knew the child’s intentions or furthered their actions.

On the topic of charging the parents, Ms McDonald previously said on Wednesday: “We know that owning a gun means securing it properly and locking it and keeping the ammunition separate and not allowing access to other individuals, particularly minors.

“We know that and we have to hold individuals accountable who don’t do that.”

Does anyone know how they make a decision to charge a juvenile as an adult so quickly? What is the point of having different standards for juveniles and adults in the criminal justice system if the severity of the crime alone (as it seems here) is the only determining factor?

I am not attempting to defend this shooter or any other juvenile criminals, it just seemed quite knee-jerk to charge him as an adult within hours of the shooting.

A quick google looks like over 14 and accused of a felony. But I’m not a lawyer..

I don't know enough about this to respond, @gitana1 - any insights?

Michigan Legislature - Section 712A.2d

Of note:
(a) The seriousness of the alleged offense in terms of community protection, including, but not limited to, the existence of any aggravating factors recognized by the sentencing guidelines, the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, and the impact on any victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member