GUILTY MI - April Millsap, 14, Armada, 24 July 2014 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is worrisome is that this is a very long bike and walking trail (24 miles) that is paved all along its length reportedly. It runs through several area towns. So the perp could have used the trail (despite rules against motorized traffic) to go from one area to another quickly and avoid using roads or streets. Even another town?

this photo shows my area of interest or at least the means to reach it. Behind the commercial building and down the bike path is a small heavily wooded area. There appears to be several industrial type buildings and then wooded area that could contain drainage ditches.

macomb-orchard-trail-e1406289268462.jpg
(Credit: Mike Campbell/WWJ Newsradio 950)
as printed at
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/07/25/police-id-14-year-old-girl-found-murdered-along-armada-nature-trail/

I wanted to echo the sentiment that she really did text about the van. A dirty white painter's van is the stereotypical abduction vehicle and I'm positive a 14 year old would recognize that. It may be a terrifying coincidence if the van isn't involved in the crime but I'd be very surprised if that wasn't what she was talking about.

seeing any sort of car or van driving down the trail I was on alone with my dog when they are not allowed, two males within would sure set off my own hackles and my 13 going on 14 year old DD confirms it would hers as well. We just had a conversation about what she would do in similar circs. :(

Hate the reason for those little talks with DD but glad we have them.

It appears according this article and the pictures with it that they were searching by Omo road. I also found on another site pictures that have them walking at a spot where the trail crosses a dirt road, Omo road is dirt. Read the captions under the photo's in first link and notice in one photo a police car on the trail with plenty of room. 2nd link go through the photos under larger photo. I would post them but my silly internet is acting up today and causing my computer to freeze.

http://www.chron.com/news/crime/art...-while-out-with-dog-5647286.php#photo-6643373
http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/mac...ble-homicide-female-body-found-in-wooded-area

thanks gam, so glad you are with us. Your local insight will be invaluable.

Having trouble locating and mapping Omo Road where it crosses the trail (probably because it is dirt road)

I kind of feel this is a hit and run... maybe she saw the van on the trail and texted her boyfriend because she thought it odd, I wonder how far from the trail to the ditch where her body was found is..

I feel that if this were a hit and run, the dog may also be injured, or there would be some kind of indication regarding the dog that this wasn't an outright murder. I guess, if the dog's leash were long enough, the dog would not be hurt if April were hit but still, this feels darker than that.

Due to this internet issue today, I can't stay on your map or I freeze up. But the blue marked possible Omo road is not Omo road. Omo road is to the east of the town of Armada or if looking at the map it's right, further right of liberty lane.

I'm curious who she was texting before she allegedly texted her boyfriend with the abduction text. That she was supposedly not sexually abused makes me wonder a couple of things.

First, why? What would be the incentive for a stranger to kill a young woman? Is this someone she knew? Were they in contact with her before her death and did they know she would be on that trail?

Or was the motive of a sexual nature by a stranger but someone unexpected came up on the trail (either the van, or the motorcycle) and foiled the plan?

And possibly, as others have mentioned, this was a hit and run. Which I doubt for some reason, but it's possible based on her injuries.

Regardless, I think this person is a local or very familiar with the trail, knowing that it's not a busy trail and that they would not be easily caught.

thank you gam, I found Omo Rd with your directions.

Wonder if there was some illegal activity going on. Possibly he/they were afraid thar Amanda May have witnessed the activity.

good point Teche. Possible random targetting due to something witnessed.

Family seems to think she knew her killer. Her grandfather also expressed doubts about whether the text could have been manipulated?

Things it would help to know

Is the van involved (to me would suggest random targetting or crime of opportunity)?

Was April speaking or texting with anyone before the strange text?

Was her route a regular one (would friends and family know whereabouts she may be on the trail base on what time she left to walk the dog)?

good point Teche. Possible random targetting due to something witnessed.

Family seems to think she knew her killer. Her grandfather also expressed doubts about whether the text could have been manipulated?

Things it would help to know

Is the van involved (to me would suggest random targetting or crime of opportunity)?

Was April speaking or texting with anyone before the strange text?

Was her route a regular one (would friends and family know whereabouts she may be on the trail base on what time she left to walk the dog)?

I think it says a lot when family members believe that it was not a random act of violence. The fact that April was not sexually assaulted suggests a crime committed by someone who knew the victim also.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/mac...gation-in-murder-of-14-year-old-april-millsap

Sketch released

They say the person has sandy brown or reddish hair. They also say they would not describe him as heavyset, medium or slender. Investigators also say they are not sure of the person's height, but that they would not describe him as overly short.

April%20Millsap%20investigation%20sketch_1406483216655_7084864_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

I think this was a really sloppy crime and LE probably already has a good idea who the perp is. They'll probably just have to wait on forensics to confirm.

Here is a link to the streets that take you to the trail area and the school admin building. Burk st goes north and church street goes south. School admin building is on Burk. Trail is near the south end of Church. It looks like one street except main street cuts between. It might help people get a better idea of what a small village it is. I spent a lot of time on Burk st as a kid years ago visiting family members. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.844...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1soSIC0J0lBbv1ET2F-wEUTQ!2e0

So April could have taken Fulton or Church to reach the trails as a likely entry point for her walk there. Thanks grace60 your input is much appreciated in getting familiar with this area.

"Investigators say they searched both sides of Omo north of 34 Mile to a residential driveway in the 73300 block of Omo Road for evidence.

Several members of the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office fanned out near the driveway. Investigators, who wore yellow vests, looked for signs of “scraping” in nearby ditches.

Earlier, the bloodhound tracked a human scent to the area and found a cellphone 200 yards into the property."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140725/METRO03/307250041

At first I read this as "her" cellphone was found on the property. I wonder if it was hers?

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140725/METRO03/307250041#ixzz38i1UMNBj

I'd like to know if the phone mentioned in the article below is hers also. Nothing I have read yet indicates wether her phone was with her when she was found or if it is indeed missing.

If the the one found is not hers that might be very intersting also.

~

Everytime I try to Quote a post in my reply my browser is erroring out. I just tried for 10 minutes to quote bluenoser :thinking:

~

From bluenoser's link:

The joggers finally followed the border collie, discovering the body in a drainage ditch about 20 feet from the Macomb Orchard Trail, said Lt. Michael Shaw, a spokesman for the Michigan State Police.

The cause of death wasn’t disclosed. There were no apparent signs of trauma or sexual assault, said Smith.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140725/METRO03/307250041#ixzz38i7d8Enc

So was grampa wrong about her looking like she was beaten? Maybe she was strangled or suffocated ... My money is on the motorbike rider...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304