MI - Bianca Jones, 2, Detroit, 2 Dec 2011 - #4 - *D. Lane guilty*

He's trying to keep up an attitude but there is something in the eyes that seems to say ohcarpi'mnotgettingoutofhereami.

I could possibly understand..not digesting, a horrible situation....from like, some sort of shock. However, I don't believe Banika qualifies. She knows exactly who he is and what he's capable of. The fact she stood up for him and is still by his side..makes me wonder if CPS should intervene, with regard to her other children, (imo)

I read about D'Andre's appeal while I was on vacation but wasn't spending a lot of time online. I hope and pray that DL's appeal is denied. He was convicted by a jury of his peers who recognized the significance of forensic findings in the case. :moo:

January 26, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Use of cadaver dogs at core of murder appeal

'You can't cross-examine a dog,' defense attorney says

By Christine Ferretti
The Detroit News

Detroit — Did a dog send D'Andre Lane to prison?

The defense team for the Detroit father convicted with evidence provided by a cadaver-sniffing dog in the killing of his missing toddler says it's possible — and they don't think it's fair.

The circumstantial case against Lane is the first in Michigan and one of few for the country in which the novel forensic science has been admitted for trial, renewing the call for national forensic standards and sparking debate between law enforcement agencies and lawyers, especially in cases — like Lane's — when the dog detects decomposition but no remains are found.

Lane's case is being appealed; the cadaver dog findings will be among the issues raised...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130126/METRO/301260361#ixzz2JfTZ1n6k

appeal was expected, but still disheartening to see. :(

I read about D'Andre's appeal while I was on vacation but wasn't spending a lot of time online. I hope and pray that DL's appeal is denied. He was convicted by a jury of his peers who recognized the significance of forensic findings in the case. :moo:

January 26, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Use of cadaver dogs at core of murder appeal

'You can't cross-examine a dog,' defense attorney says

By Christine Ferretti
The Detroit News

Detroit — Did a dog send D'Andre Lane to prison?

The defense team for the Detroit father convicted with evidence provided by a cadaver-sniffing dog in the killing of his missing toddler says it's possible — and they don't think it's fair.

The circumstantial case against Lane is the first in Michigan and one of few for the country in which the novel forensic science has been admitted for trial, renewing the call for national forensic standards and sparking debate between law enforcement agencies and lawyers, especially in cases — like Lane's — when the dog detects decomposition but no remains are found.

Lane's case is being appealed; the cadaver dog findings will be among the issues raised...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130126/METRO/301260361#ixzz2JfTZ1n6k

I'll be hoping and praying right along with you:please:

DL just makes me want to :puke:

"It is convenient for the defense to focus on the canine evidence, however it should be stressed that there was an abundance of other evidence presented to corroborate that the defendant murdered his infant child, although her body has not yet been recovered," said Maria Miller, a spokeswoman for Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130126/METRO/301260361#ixzz2JfgHKUWH

~

I think it will be denied. Does anyone know any case law for the cadaver argument the defense is trying to present? I'm not familiar with the argument they are going to present at all. Hoping someone here is and can give us an explanation.

tia.

I hadn't checked the MDOC site about D'Andre's current location for a couple of weeks, but it looks like he is now at the Michigan Reformatory in Ionia. When he was initially sentenced, he was at the prison in Jackson.

http://mdocweb.state.mi.us/OTIS2/otis2profile.aspx?mdocNumber=435673

I check local news sources daily for any news about the progress of Lane's appeal, but I think that it could take several months or longer. I doubt he'll win and will spend the rest of his life in prison. Maybe Banika will realize someday that DL is responsible for the loss of her beautiful daughter, Bianca.

December 4, 2012 at 1:00 am

Convicted Detroit dad slams judge, disrupts court

By Christine Ferretti
The Detroit News

Detroit — D'Andre Lane insisted Monday that he didn't murder or abuse his missing toddler daughter and called a judge a "liar" for ordering him to prison for life.

"My daughter is alive. She's missing, she will be found," Lane said in his plea to Wayne County Circuit Judge Vonda R. Evans before she imposed the sentence.

"It's easy to point the finger at me. We will correct every wrong that's taken place in this system," he added...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121204/METRO01/212040344#ixzz2E5vw4gMW

As the Detroit News link has been moved to the "pay to view" section, I found this on youtube. It is the sentencing, which includes Hon. Vonda Adams, sentencing DL, his incredibly disrespectful outbursts (during which his attorney attempts to soothe him - SMH), and ends with the exchange between DL and the Judge.

This "man" insisted on disrespecting the Court, and made an @$$ of himself. I was beyond impressed with Judge Adams' insistence in putting DL in his place. Her demeanor, and authority, leaves me wishing there were more judges like her.

I am currently searching for more information regarding the appeal. I am confused, as I've read he received a life sentence. However, JVRA stated she sentenced him to "no less than 11 but no more than 30 years." Because of his interruptions, maybe I missed the "...to life..." part.

Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pp0-StFp9w

The pursuit of #JusticeForBianca continues....
:rose:

I have no words for Lane and anybody like him. How those Judges and others deal with these folks is beyond me. Thankfully somebody can. I have the upmost respect they do it and can sleep at night. Anybody who can hurt a child or animal is beyond anything I can comprehend. Bye bye Lane. I hope Prison gives you every moment of hell you so richly deserve :please:

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/11...in-murder-of-missing-2-year-old-bianca-jones/

The Michigan appeals court has affirmed the murder conviction of a Detroit man whose 2-year-old daughter has not been found.

The court says there was “sufficient circumstantial evidence” to support D’Andre Lane’s convictions. He was charged with first-degree child abuse and murder committed during another felony.

In a 3-0 decision last week, the appeals court rejected challenges to evidence introduced at trial.

December 2012:

Cadaver dogs allegedly sniffed out human decomposition in the seat, and in Lane’s home, though there was no blood or DNA evidence tied to the death. Lane said it was just an old house and used car seat...

"I think if he was Deanna Lane from the suburbs of Detroit who happened to be a white lady, the outcome would have been different,” Johnson said.

“I think (racism) had a big part to do with it,” he added of the conviction, later saying, “The overall makeup of the jury was not the issue as much as it was the perception that here we have a man, seven kids by seven women — what does that really to do with the missing of his daughter Bianca Jones? The jury heard testimony from someone, her testimony was literally, she got up and testified to the fact Deandre wanted Bianca to have an abortion. What does that have to do with the missing 2-year-old toddler?”

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/12...m-in-dads-murder-convicted-dad-of-her-murder/

It does seem unjust that the likes of the McCanns and Casey Anthony got off so lightly whilst this man was convicted of murder seemingly with little evidence.

Chris hansen, on crime watch daily episode today, update on case...some witnesses are saying the little girl is still alive and well.....

[h=1]Mother of Bianca Jones pleads for public to keep searching for child 6 years after her disappearance[/h]
DETROIT - In December 2011, 2-year-old Bianca Jones disappeared.
Her father, D'andre Lane, told police he was carjacked and the baby was in the back seat when the car was taken. The vehicle was recovered, but Bianca wasn't. Nine months after the disappearance, he was convicted of murder.

However, Bianca's body was never found. Six years later, more than half a dozen people, including Bianca's mother and three eyewitnesses, have come forward to say that they believe she is still alive.
Several people claim they saw Bianca alive after she was allegedly killed. The baby's cousin claims he saw her the next morning, while a retired Detroit police officer said she saw the child alive eight days later.

"This child is alive and I'm telling you she is," retired officer Niki Gibbs said.

A private investigator said he also saw Bianca, nine months after her supposed death.

"I recognized her right off the bat," Mike Salisbury said.

Jones continues to plead for the public and police to keep an eye out for Bianca, who would be 8 today.
Police and prosecutors still believe that Bianca is dead and that her father killed her, while her family believes she is alive and wants help finding her.
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...ing-for-child-6-years-after-her-disappearance

Wow.
I remember this case when it happened. I don't remember all the details.
It is hard to believe that they were able to prove murder beyond a reasonable doubt.
Trial only 9 months later? That is unbelievably fast!
Most less serious cases don't go to trial that quickly.

Were these witnesses not at the trial? Were they just not believed?
Was the mother assumed to be hysterical and discredited?

I would think a police officer saying they saw her would hold some weight.
I know there is the whole witness identification is notoriously unreliable...
Still. How amazing would it be if she was out there somewhere?
I'll have to go catch up tomorrow.

I was thinking about Bianca not long ago. I don't believe she's alive. I haven't forgotten how she was beat for a potty accident until she was silenced and I haven't forgotten investigators believe her remains are not recoverable because they were disposed of in an incinerator.

Authorities stand by ruling that Bianca Jones was killed by her father 6 years ago
Witnesses say young girl is alive despite murder conviction

DETROIT - Bianca Jones was 2 years old when she disappeared six years ago, and her father, D'Andre Lane, was convicted of her murder. Lane is serving a life sentence in prison.

But Bianca's body was never found, and new witnesses said they've seen the little girl alive. The Local 4 Defenders spoke to a police officer and the prosecutor in the case, and they said the jury got it right.

The case was entirely circumstantial. Even the judge was surprised there was a conviction without a body. The key witness in the trial was a cadaver dog, which the defense team called unreliable...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...ca-jones-was-killed-by-her-father-6-years-ago

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back