Identified! MI - Detroit, WhtFem UP8272, 18-20, in garbage dump, recent childbirth, Feb'87 - n/a

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
NamUs UP # 8272 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8272

http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1184291/1

NCMC1184291c1.jpg

NCMC1184291x2.jpg
NCMC1184291x1.jpg

Unidentified White Female

Found February 10, 1987 at 1550 Harper Ave., Detroit (Wayne County) Michigan

Vital Statistics

* Height: 66" (5 feet 6 inches)
* Weight: 114 lbs
* Hair Color: Brown
* Head Hair: Hair was highlighted, blonde with reddish tints, layered and tapered with a long nape, up-dated "shag" cut. A very current and trendy style in 1987. This was professionally done withing two weeks of death. (There was no discoloration at the root to indicate natural hair color.
* Eye Description: Light brown or hazel in color
* Scars and Marks: Episiotomy Scar- had given birth within 8 weeks to one year
* Piercings: Earlobes are pierced once.
* Finger and Toe Nails: Pink sparkle nail polish.
* Other Distinctive Characteristics: Blood type O-Was a secreter. Slender build with good muscle tone​
* Prior Surgery: Episiotomy
* Other Medical Information: Had given birth within the last two months to one year. Was lactating.

Clothing and Accessories
* Clothing on Body: Black bikini panties-well worn
* Footwear:
* Jewelry: 2 silver rings (both costume jewelry) - one with a thin band and a small roped round design; one larger with marquee cut center clear stone and surrounding round clear stones on steps. Both rings were worn on her left hand, the thin band on her pointer finger, the larger ring on her ring finger.​

Condition of Remains
* Probable Year of Death: 1987
* Estimated Postmortem Interval: 1 Day
* Comments: Recognizable face​

Circumstancess
* Comments (From NCMEC poster): An unidentified female was found deceased on February 10, 1987 on the east side of Detroit, MI along Harper Avenue. She had been deceased less than 2 days before being found. The female is between 16-25 years old. She stood approximately 5'5" tall and weighed around 114 pounds. She had hazel or light brown eyes. The female had brown hair that had recently been highlighted blonde with reddish tints. It was styled in layers and tapered with a long nape. Her earlobes were pierced once. She had good oral hygiene and dental care. Only one dental filling was seen. The female had given birth within 2 months to a year before she died. She was still lactating and had an episiotomy scar. She was found wearing two silver rings as shown above. One has a thin band and a small rope design in the middle. The second is larger with a marquee cut center clear stone in the middle with round clear stones around the sides. The facial reconstruction above was provided by the Michigan State Police and depicts what the female may have looked like in life..​

Identifiers
* Dental: Dental information / charting is currently not available
* DNA: Sample available - Not yet submitted
* Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is available and entered​

Exclusions
* : Sandra Lowe (Born 1962) (State LKA: California)​

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mulhern_doris.html

Doris Lavonne Mulhern

Mulhern was last seen at the Stevenson Motel at in the 33300 block of Pacific Highway south in King County, Washington on March 12, 1987. She has never been heard from again. At the time of her disappearance, she was a prostitute and had a very high-risk lifestyle. She is originally from Michigan and had traveled to Washington with her boyfriend. Few details are available in her case. Authorities believe Mulhern may have been the victim of a serial killer.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A black leather jacket, blue jeans with the word "baby" stitched in pink thread on the back pocket, and white sneakers.

mulhern_doris.jpg

Sad... I wonder if she had given up her child for adoption because otherwise one would assume that a missing mother should be noticed. If it was closer to two months than a year since she gave birth she might still be lactating even if she gave her baby up early.

If the episiotomy was a healed scar, but she was lactating I think they are spot on with the 2 month - 1 year estimate of when she gave birth. Also mentioned is good muscle tone so I would be inclined to believe it had at least been several months. If she had given the child up for adoption, the milk would have dried up within days of giving birth.

I'm inclined to think more of an abusive husband and somewhere there is a child that was told its mama just up and left one day.

So, I am wondering if this was a domestic thing? I mean, she has a nice haircut and color (which is pretty $$ unless done at home), good dental hygeine,nail polish, and is wearing a ring on her ring finger, just gave birth and no one is missing her??

I wonder if this is one of those cases where people are told that she ran away?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mulhern_doris.html

Doris Lavonne Mulhern

Mulhern was last seen at the Stevenson Motel at in the 33300 block of Pacific Highway south in King County, Washington on March 12, 1987. She has never been heard from again. At the time of her disappearance, she was a prostitute and had a very high-risk lifestyle. She is originally from Michigan and had traveled to Washington with her boyfriend. Few details are available in her case. Authorities believe Mulhern may have been the victim of a serial killer.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A black leather jacket, blue jeans with the word "baby" stitched in pink thread on the back pocket, and white sneakers.

mulhern_doris.jpg

She went missing a month after the UID was found.

If the episiotomy was a healed scar, but she was lactating I think they are spot on with the 2 month - 1 year estimate of when she gave birth. Also mentioned is good muscle tone so I would be inclined to believe it had at least been several months. If she had given the child up for adoption, the milk would have dried up within days of giving birth.

I'm inclined to think more of an abusive husband and somewhere there is a child that was told its mama just up and left one day.

Actually not all women dry up that fast. I know people who six months after they stopped breastfeeding could still express a small amount of milk. Also, before six months milkproduction is not just driven by the child's suckling but also by hormones and they can make a woman produce milk despite no stimulation so I am more inclined to to say that it is closer to the two month mark IF she has been separated from her child.

However, an abusive husband is also a possibility but what happened to the baby? A man with just a baby is going to be more visible and is going to raise questions in particular if people know he used to have a wife. Of course, he might have moved and told a sob story at the new place or killed the baby too and put it somewhere else.

Is it a fact that she was murdered? If she was a suicide-victim I am more inclined to believe it was post-partum depression or an adoption in the mix but if it was in fact a murder then yes, the husband theory is more likely.

While I agree that if she had been breast feeding and then stopped, it takes longer for milk production to stop, if she had never begun after giving birth, the milk dries up rather quickly. I can say that from my own personal experiences.i doubt if she had given the baby up for adoption , had a healed episiotomy and good muscle tone, she would still be lactating. However, if she had been breast feeding and then away from the baby for a short time...days or a few weeks she could still be experience ing some milk production.

This is my first post on Websleuths (long time lurker, first time poster!). I thought I would get my feet wet with this one! I stumbled across this girl on Namus: Sheri Swims.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11914/0/

I think most of her vital information matches the description of this UID. There is no mention of the surgery scar that the UID had, but that, IMO, is really the only missing piece of info. It does not appear that she has DNA in the system, but dental are available, however don't appear to be charted.

Because I am so new at this, I apologize if I break any rules!!

I guess I have to start somewhere! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I am so excited to be a part of this great community!!

This is my first post on Websleuths (long time lurker, first time poster!). I thought I would get my feet wet with this one! I stumbled across this girl on Namus: Sheri Swims.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11914/0/

I think most of her vital information matches the description of this UID. There is no mention of the surgery scar that the UID had, but that, IMO, is really the only missing piece of info. It does not appear that she has DNA in the system, but dental are available, however don't appear to be charted.

Because I am so new at this, I apologize if I break any rules!!

I guess I have to start somewhere! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I am so excited to be a part of this great community!!

Welcome!

Sheri looks good, but according to Charley Project, she had dentures. The UID is described as having good oral hygiene and dental care, with only one filling.

Keep at it! I think you're doing great.

I'd like to bring this one to the table as a possible too: Hazel Klug
It says she worked as a secretary for a law firm and had multiple rings. (maybe cleared out her jewelry-box?) She just up and disappeared.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1100/10/
The only issue I have with this is her eyes are listed as blue and there's telling scars and birthmarks that aren't listed on our UID. Which, I think the ME did a very thorough job..MOO So, I'd give this a 6/10 possible. Posting the pics side-by-side to see what you think. I think she bears a resemblance.

on trying to do the sidexside it blew up the image so im just posting hazels photo

I'd like to bring this one to the table as a possible too: Hazel Klug
It says she worked as a secretary for a law firm and had multiple rings. (maybe cleared out her jewelry-box?) She just up and disappeared.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1100/10/
The only issue I have with this is her eyes are listed as blue and there's telling scars and birthmarks that aren't listed on our UID. Which, I think the ME did a very thorough job..MOO So, I'd give this a 6/10 possible. Posting the pics side-by-side to see what you think. I think she bears a resemblance.

on trying to do the sidexside it blew up the image so im just posting hazels photo

Hazel's cousin Sandraella posts on these forums sometimes. I could swear I read something where it was confirmed that Hazel was never pregnant, but I can't find it. In any case, here is one thread that talks about Hazel in more detail:

VA VA - Shoosmith Landfill - WhtFem (UP 6642), 20-35, w/Richmond trash, Aug'86 - Page 2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Hazel's cousin Sandraella posts on these forums sometimes. I could swear I read something where it was confirmed that Hazel was never pregnant, but I can't find it. In any case, here is one thread that talks about Hazel in more detail:

VA VA - Shoosmith Landfill - WhtFem (UP 6642), 20-35, w/Richmond trash, Aug'86 - Page 2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Yea, i didn't see it either where she'd never been pregnant. All the thread talks about is comparing Hazel/Alice to the UID where the UID had a hysterectomy as Hazel/Alice was intact.
However, the time period seems about right for her and the UID. Supposing that she'd been pregnant (knowingly or not) when she'd disappeared. Getting pregnant in late April of 86' would have put her at a due date of early January 87'. (Or earlier months +/- a month in sequence) One month before this UID was found.
Of course this is just a speculation and MOO.

A long shot....but at quick glance see a resemblance between the two, face shape is the likely eye draw. Height/weight/hair&eye coloring all fall within a reasonable likeness.

Erica was last seen in Middleburgh, New York in 1986 yet was reported missing to the Waterford, MI police in February 1987 by her sister. Waterford, MI appears to be Erica's hometown so perhaps her sister had reason to believe Erica had traveled back to MI. Otherwise would think the more logical recourse be to make the missing persons report with NY PD. Per Google..Waterford is approx 45 mins from Detroit.

Erica has two sons...one Richard (per his death certificate) was born in July 1984, died July 2006 at age 21. The other son is CS....his last name differs....do not know birthdate but am leaning towards his being older than Richard ...so pre-1984....due to different last name.

Both cases are on Namus...neither have DNA showing as completed.

http://www.timesjournalonline.com/details.asp?id=14551

picture.php

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/643
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8272

Edited to add RF Obit....Erica is said to live in Pontiac MI/2006 ....however NY PD search article is dated 2008 and states sons had not contact with Erica. http://search.ancestrylibrary.com/o...17=St.+Albans+Messenger&_810002A3=&gss=angs-d

I wasn't aware of this occurrence but for some reason the thought came to mind so did a Google search on lactation after a miscarriage or abortion. And according to numerous sources....lactation can occur and, depending on # of weeks into pregnancy, can last for a number of weeks if not longer. Will link to the site that had a basic explanation....some were very technical...others persons seeking support/info from others whom had experienced the same.

Now am not stating this IS what occurred with this UID....only putting some information out there for consideration so every stone is un-turned....for this UID and for a missing person.
lactation
This is normal if the pregnancy has lasted longer than 12 weeks and will stop by itself.

http://www.miscarriagesupport.org.nz/health.html

I wasn't aware of this occurrence but for some reason the thought came to mind so did a Google search on lactation after a miscarriage or abortion. And according to numerous sources....lactation can occur and, depending on # of weeks into pregnancy, can last for a number of weeks if not longer. Will link to the site that had a basic explanation....some were very technical...others persons seeking support/info from others whom had experienced the same.

Now am not stating this IS what occurred with this UID....only putting some information out there for consideration so every stone is un-turned....for this UID and for a missing person.
lactation
This is normal if the pregnancy has lasted longer than 12 weeks and will stop by itself.

http://www.miscarriagesupport.org.nz/health.html

This is true, the milk making process begins in the 12th week of pregnancy so women who spontaneously or purposefully abort after that can experience lactation and may need/want to take measures to suppress it. It is a possibility that the episiotomy is from a prior pregnancy and the lactation is from a current loss. You never know.

Have they released a cause of death? Unfortunately, I really do think this was a domestic situation and some poor baby lost its mama. So sad.

This is true, the milk making process begins in the 12th week of pregnancy so women who spontaneously or purposefully abort after that can experience lactation and may need/want to take measures to suppress it. It is a possibility that the episiotomy is from a prior pregnancy and the lactation is from a current loss. You never know.

Have they released a cause of death? Unfortunately, I really do think this was a domestic situation and some poor baby lost its mama. So sad.

Thank your for your input. Have not come upon a COD for UID.

Did locate information that indicates Erica Franolich's relationship with her husband was on the brink. And a few other things that surely perk the ears up. But do not think it be an acceptable site to link here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back