Identified! MI - Detroit, WhtFem UP8272, 18-20, in garbage dump, recent childbirth, Feb'87 - n/a

I hope they at least catch who did this, I can't tell how long I've thought about this case for. I suppose with her being a new mother and still breastfeeding ,really gets to me. I hope one day we will know for certain who she was. Ending up in the garbage like that when she should've been with her baby, heartbreaking.
Do we at least know if she was ever reported missing?

I think there is a photo of Harper Doe floating around online, if it's her she was beautiful
Actually I don't think the pic I saw is really her, I think It may have just been a comparison photo in regard to the hair, I'm really not even sure

Actually I don't think the pic I saw is really her, I think It may have just been a comparison photo in regard to the hair, I'm really not even sure
Im still not convinced that she's not Margie Ranshaw..I know the dates don't match up but I'm wondering if it could be an error..

Hmm maybe Harper Jane Doe's murderer is deceased and that's why there hasn't been any information released, perhaps at the family's request. If the murderer were still at large then I'd imagine there'd be an active investigation and a suspect name released out of necessity.

Hmm maybe Harper Jane Doe's murderer is deceased and that's why there hasn't been any information released, perhaps at the family's request. If the murderer were still at large then I'd imagine there'd be an active investigation and a suspect name released out of necessity.
It may be that they are alive but can't be charged - dementia, for instance. You can't prosecute someone who's unable to defend themselves.

After all, it might not be the husband who's the perpetrator. It's not common, but there have bern numerous instances of mothers-in-law and/or fathers-in-law killing their daughter-in-law once The Golden Grandchild, The Only Reason Sonnybubbles Was Allowed to Loosen the Apron Strings and Marry, is born.

it's not margie ranshaw - she had VERY distinctive teeth. The dates for Harper Doe are spot on.

JMO - YMMV
You don't think it's her? I googled Margie (hadn't heard of her case) and one of her photos looks a lot like the sketch of this victim I think

Something not adding up about all this.
This lady was found murdered 34 years ago in a rubbish dump. Details of her body and how she was killed , where she was found were made very public and the case grew cold. Finally she gets "identified" but that's all that is released..no name, no information on if this is an active homicide investigation..nothing at all.
I understand if at first there was no details in order to contact family etc..but it's been nearly a year and still nothing..something isn't adding up

Apparently, the now-adult infant is identified. That person is next-of-kin.

LE may know more about the event, and may never release that to the likes of us!
Again how do we even know that. I think there's something strange with the entire thing. If she was not a victim of suicide it would make more sense..but she was murdered..

Again how do we even know that. I think there's something strange with the entire thing. If she was not a victim of suicide it would make more sense..but she was murdered..

As much as I would like to know who she is and hear more about her story, we are certainly not entitled to know. LE clearly has their own reasons to have not released her name, and we are not privy to their rationale. Her family now knows where she is, and frankly, that should be enough. She’s certainly not the first homicide victim to have her name withheld (see Bernalillo Jane Doe 1995, Tallulah Jane Doe 1994, Live Oak Doe 1986, Pillar Point Doe 1983, Los Angeles Jane Doe 1968).

This is just speculation, but they may be taking their time releasing the ID because they're actively following up leads and don't want to tip off the suspect. I assume this is what's going on with the other Does mentioned by @taramarie too.

We may find out their names when arrests are made, or when the leads run dry and they need to appeal to the public for more information.

As much as I would like to know who she is and hear more about her story, we are certainly not entitled to know. LE clearly has their own reasons to have not released her name, and we are not privy to their rationale. Her family now knows where she is, and frankly, that should be enough. She’s certainly not the first homicide victim to have her name withheld (see Bernalillo Jane Doe 1995, Tallulah Jane Doe 1994, Live Oak Doe 1986, Pillar Point Doe 1983, Los Angeles Jane Doe 1968).
Yes true.. I suppose I have to just accept I'll never know, it's hard when you become so invested in a case, I know that might sound silly but it's how I feel. I think I'll give searching for other UID's a bit of a break for awhile.
Everyone take care x

I mean the mainstream media hasn't even reported her identification yet so perhaps something still may be forthcoming at some point.

This is just speculation, but they may be taking their time releasing the ID because they're actively following up leads and don't want to tip off the suspect. I assume this is what's going on with the other Does mentioned by @taramarie too.

We may find out their names when arrests are made, or when the leads run dry and they need to appeal to the public for more information.
I got the feeling from a previous post on here it was more the family not wanting her identity disclosed and if that's the case we will not find out.
It's a hard one really cause I get that they deserve privacy and time to process it all, but at the same time it was a publicised case, and a lot of people put effort and their heart into trying to ID her for many years.
We aren't legally entitled to know anything I understand that, but it sucks not knowing. Just my thoughts.

I got the feeling from a previous post on here it was more the family not wanting her identity disclosed and if that's the case we will not find out.
It's a hard one really cause I get that they deserve privacy and time to process it all, but at the same time it was a publicised case, and a lot of people put effort and their heart into trying to ID her for many years.
We aren't legally entitled to know anything I understand that, but it sucks not knowing. Just my thoughts.

I'm pretty sure in homicide cases, LE has to release the identity of the victim eventually. In cases of other deaths - suicide, natural deaths, accidental deaths, the family can choose for the identity not to be released. Such as Lyle Stevik. But for murder, that's not the case. At least that's what I've read in other places.

I think they're still working on the case, and it may be a long time yet before her identity is released.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back