MI - Dog-mauling death ruled suicide

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Dec 9, 2015.

1. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

Too cunning for their own good.

2. Zuri

Zuri Well-Known Member

I have seen more cases on Judge Judy and Hot Bench about animal injuries and liabilities. Some of them are unbelievable just as you mentioned. It does happen and dogs end up being destroyed.

3. Chuz Life

Chuz Life Voluntary Investigator

As we can see, Guns are just one of many tools people can use for suicide or even for homicide. The difference between guns and vehicles, knives, poisons, drug overdoses and the like is that guns are the best tool that a person have for home and for personal protections. For that reason, getting rid of guns will have a much greater (negative) impact on people's ability to defend themselves that it will in keeping anyone from committing suicides.

4. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

5. bluesneakers

bluesneakers not today satan

Maybe OT, but the general discussion involves suicide and suicide attempts so I hope it's okay...

The availability of guns increases the risk of suicide attempts, and the lethality of guns increases risk of suicide to completion.

There are almost twice as many firearm deaths by suicide than by homicide, and you are more likely kill yourself than to kill in self defense. Guns are more efficient for suicide which is part of the problem - an impulsive decision (and a readily available means to act on it) ends in death rather than a trip to the hospital.

Of course it's every person's decision which risk to take, but IMO there's a lot to consider before making it.

(I'm not suggesting getting rid of them, I'd like to make that clear, nor am I trying to start an argument, just sharing some information on the subject.)

*Guns & Suicide: The Hidden Toll
    *Access to Guns Increases Risks of Suicide, Homicide

6. ScarlettScarpetta

ScarlettScarpetta When the going gets tough, drink coffee

I still don't believe this was a suicide. I think accidental maybe but not suicide.

7. Meagain

Meagain Active Member

8. AlyCain

AlyCain New Member

9. AlyCain

AlyCain New Member

Death by misadventure?

10. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

If you know your breaks are bad but still drive, that's negligence. If you cut your breaks and drive, that's suicide.

11. Rayemonde

Rayemonde Well-Known Member

Where I live, the owner of the dogs would be looking at serious charges. IMO the dogs should have never been in the yard unsupervised if they were dangerous. It could have been a kid trying to retrieve a ball, a harmless drunk person, or someone with dementia or mental illness who didn't understand the danger.

And what if the dogs ever get loose? What if there's a storm and the fence blows down? They could kill a kid in a heartbeat. I don't blame the dogs at all and don't think the dogs should be killed, but the owner has a big responsibility to keep people safe from the dogs. All just MOO.

12. Rayemonde

Okay, looks like the owner of the property was home. But he should have been supervising the dogs more closely *if* he knew they were dangerous, IMO. The witness who tried to help the poor woman could have been mauled as well, and that certainly wouldn't have been a suicide. All just MOO.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/port-huron-dog-mauling-death-ruled-suicide

13. Rayemonde

3da22163d102e48825569df13615702b.jpg
    Rebecca Lillian-Kay Hardy

http://www.examiner.com/article/mauled-woman-michigan-mom-s-death-ruled-suicide-by-dog-mauling

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/12/04/pit-bull-attack-port-huron/76786642/

14. Rayemonde

http://www.examiner.com/article/mauled-woman-michigan-mom-s-death-ruled-suicide-by-dog-mauling

15. Rayemonde

I'd be interested to.see a picture of the yard. Is it possible that the dogs were in a kennel or around a corner out of sight, and Rebecca though thought that they weren't there that day?

Also, how high was the fence?

16. U2forever

U2forever Religion is what happens when God leaves the room

Wait.....wha the fu? :eek:hwow:

17. AlyCain

AlyCain New Member

The landlord would also be liable as he is the one carrying homeowners insurance. He happens to be a law enforcement officer who declared bankruptcy a few years ago. He will be in deep doo if they sue. The dog owner already has a lawyer, the one who saved the puppy at the 11th hour.

18. AlyCain

AlyCain New Member

fenced-area.jpg See any reason to "cut through?" Likely she just stopped to pet the dogs. They were not trained attack dogs says the owner and news.

19. AlyCain

AlyCain New Member

20. AlyCain

AlyCain New Member