GUILTY MI - Dominick Calhoun, 4, beaten to death, Argentine Twp, 11 April 2010

from here:

A petition filed by the Department of Human Services asks for a court order to remove Dominick's, older, half brother from their mother's care.

After Dominick's death, his mother told authorities Hayes had just started being abusive in the last week. She asked him about burns on the boy's hand. Hayes said he touched a hot stick in the fire pit.

more about the charges filed against brandon hayes and more info on corrine baker here:

“This case goes beyond torture,” said Pickell. He added that through discussions with veteran police officers who see a lot of abuse, day in and day out, this has been gut wrenching.

 “All kids talk about the boogeyman,” said the sheriff. “Dominick met his boogeyman.”

The county prosecutor announced that Hayes has been arraigned on nine counts, including torture, murder, child abuse, assault and drug charges.

 “This was simply a vicious killing, bad as anything you could imagine,” said Leyton. “The pictures are indescribable.

  “I think everyone with the law enforcement community and the prosecutor’s office has been shaken by what we’ve seen over the last several days.

 “It’s our job to see that justice is rained down upon the perpetrators of these crimes.

 “We have probable cause for each charge.”

 When asked if this type of torture is common, Leyton said, “It’s rare. This cried out for the torture charge.”

Pickell said the investigation is continuing on Corrine Baker and detectives are waiting on more reports to come in. She could also be facing charges, pending the outcome of the investigation.

 The sheriff did say that he does not believe Corrine took part in the fatal beating of Dominick. He said there is, however, a history of abuse, dating back to 2008, against her.

When asked if Corrine faces any charges, Pickell said detectives were looking into the matter. “They lived in a drug house, a crack house. Hayes even called him (Dominick) a crack head.

 “She (Corrine) did crack while carrying him (Dominick),” said Pickell.

Psych exam sought for man charged in boy's fatal beating

http://www.livingstondaily.com/arti...sought-for-man-charged-in-boy-s-fatal-beating

from article:
Rick Calhoun said Hayes kept repeating, "Rick, I didn't do this. Corrine, tell him I didn't do this," but the grandfather did not believe Hayes' claims.

"When I got there, I pushed my way through (Hayes) and got around the corner. (Baker) was standing there in a towel with wet hair; she had just taken a shower," he said. "I went into the back bedroom to see my grandson on the floor beaten to death.

"I smacked (Hayes) and I'm proud of it," Rick Calhoun said. "Even though it was against the law, I popped him a couple times. I wish I could have killed him. I believe in justice. I believe in being a Christian."

10051.jpg

http://www.whmi.com/news/article/10051

25 year old Corrine Baker was on probation out of Livingston County for a previous conviction involving delivery of a controlled substance. But when Argentine Township police responded to her apartment April 11th and found her son, Dominick Calhoun, unconscious, they also discovered a large amount of marijuana and pills. Other violations of her parole included failing to notify court officials that she had changed her address and living with a felon, namely 24 year old Brandon Hayes, who is charged in Dominick’s murder. After turning herself in to authorities, Baker was arraigned in front of Circuit Court Judge Michael Hatty, who set her bail at $50,000 cash. A probation violation hearing will be held on April 29th.

Corrine Baker arrested in Livingston County

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=446718

An arrest warrant was issued yesterday for Baker for violating her probation for a previous conviction of delivery of a controlled substance.

Mother of boy beaten to death behind bars

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=7399057 with video

Baker is being held on a $50,000 bond. According to the Argentine Township police chief, she is accused of violating the terms of her parole.

This comes during the investigation into the beating death of Dominick Calhoun, who died at an Argentine Township apartment complex.

Her boyfriend, Brandon Hayes, is now facing murder charges.

It's alleged she violated her parole because drugs were found at the Genesee County home she was living in following Dominick's death.

Also, she allegedly did not notify authorities she changed her address and that she was living with a felon.

as much as I believe she should also be charged in Dominick's death I certainly hope LE is thinking the same way, because to charge her on something that seems quite petty just after the baby died seems pretty heartless otherwise - I wonder if they do plan to bring charges for the child's death as well and this is their way of keeping hold of her til their case is iron clad.

I know we cant really link to comments and facebook posts etc but this chick isnt looking so good in her hometown - her family is not pleased with her, not at all. maybe the outcry is the reason for the arrest?

eta video with family interviews

http://www.connectmidmichigan.com/news/video.aspx?id=446954

so where are the charges for auntie who went there to score drugs and found the dead baby instead?

article w/ video here

Parents: Daughter partly to blame for boy's beating death

from article:

Julie and Martin Baker say they are relieved to hear their daughter is behind bars. They believe Baker had the chance to let someone know about the beatings but never did.

The Bakers say they picked up Corrine Baker at the apartment as the beatings were occurring.

"If there was any indication at all, all she had to say, 'Dad' and point, and he would have gotten out of that car and up those stairs in five seconds flat. And he would have been in that apartment on this Friday morning," Baker said.

"We were talking with her. She was all happy and smiling and talking to Brandon on the phone," Martin said.

They say they talked to her again the next day. There was still no cry for help.

"We want nothing to do with her. The whole family is very, very angry with her," Martin said.

I'm a bit confused as to why the mother has not been charged. She clearly had opportunities to ask for help and not only failed to do so, but was in a wonderful mood on the day the beatings started. If I have my facts straight. Furthermore, LE has stated that she covered the boy with her own body to protect him, however the father stated that when he entered the apartment, she had just gotten out of the shower and the boy lay dead in the bedroom. So, did she really try to protect him or was that just a story? She was apparently obviously beaten herself, but that doesn't mean it was necessarily in defense of the boy. Am I missing something here?

I'm a bit confused as to why the mother has not been charged. She clearly had opportunities to ask for help and not only failed to do so, but was in a wonderful mood on the day the beatings started. If I have my facts straight. Furthermore, LE has stated that she covered the boy with her own body to protect him, however the father stated that when he entered the apartment, she had just gotten out of the shower and the boy lay dead in the bedroom. So, did she really try to protect him or was that just a story? She was apparently obviously beaten herself, but that doesn't mean it was necessarily in defense of the boy. Am I missing something here?

BBM
This is so heartbreaking. IMO, this sweet child's "Mom" and her ______ are still alive. She did not fight enough!

RIP sweet Dominick. You will only know love from now on.

One of the things that is so sickening to me about this is what it has done to the community. Argentine is one of the better places near here to live. At any point, she could have just handed him to a neighbor and they would have done what was right. I don't care if she tried to protect him or not, it was not nearly enough. I don't care how big the man is, he hits my child, he'll only do it a second time if he kills me first.

Corrine Baker, mother of Dominick Calhoun, 4, faces second-degree murder charge in beating death of boy
By Laura Angus | Flint Journal
April 23, 2010, 3:30PM
FLINT, Michigan — The mother of Dominick Calhoun is now facing second-degree murder and second-degree child abuse in the death of her 4-year-old son.

Dominick was found severely beaten in his Argentine Township home on April 11, and died the following day after he was removed from life support. Baker's boyfriend, Brandon Hayes, has already been charged with torture and first-degree premeditated murder in the death.

Officials said the beating began because Dominick wet himself and soiled the couch on April 8. He had only been living with his mother and Hayes since the beginning of April, and was previously living with his father.

Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell said today that Dominick's mother, Corrine Baker, 25, failed to get medical attention for the boy despite the urging of friends, which in part led to the boy's death. Officials do not believe she beat the boy.
Dominick Calhoun, 4, died Monday after police found him severely beaten on Sunday in his Argentine Township home.
Court documents revealed that Baker left her apartment with her parents on April 9, the day after the alleged torture of her son began, and didn't alert anyone to the trouble.

Baker is currently being held in Livingston County Jail for a probation violation of a drug charge. She is expected to be arraigned on the charges next week.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/04/corrine_baker_mother_of_domini.html

I just read this on CNN and was floored (here we go again)! This scum of the earth killed a child because he wet his pants.

I'm curious if the system failed yet another child.

The town police chief said Baker and her son had been brought to the attention of Genesee County Department of Child Services on several occasions. The agency did not respond to CNN's requests for comment Thursday.

It was not immediately clear whether Baker's involvement with the child services agency predated her relationship with Hayes. The police chief said he believed Baker and Hayes had been together for about six months.

Rest in peace Dominick.

Mel

phrase bolded by me

I wouldn't be surprised if the poor little guy wet his pants because this was threatening him, and had threatened and beat him in the past--more than likely just the sight of him made Dominick wet himself out of fear.

Most 4 yr olds don't wet themselves while they are eating dinner, do they? And even if he did, so what? He's a little kid!

finally! the mothers who stand by showering while their babies die at the hands of their retarded boyfriends should be charged MUCH more often!

from here

Today, Corrine Baker is charged with second degree murder and second degree child abuse.
She will be arraigned on Monday, April 26, 2010.
Investigators do not believe she actually beat the child, but is partially responsible for his death.

Officials learned that Baker had ample opportunity to seek help for the boy during his four days of torture. her parent’s picked her up for an appointment at one point and said “We were talking with her. She was all happy and smiling and talking to Brandon on the phone.”

Other visitors to the home urged her to seek help for Dominick. Corrine Baker refused, allegedly saying she didn’t want child protective services involved, she didn’t want police to think she was abusing the child, she might be arrested for for violating her probation. The excuses are many.

“She took in a drug addict and a guy that was selling drugs and her apartment became a drug house where little Dominick and his brother were living,” said Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell.

Pickell says as her boyfriend continued to beat and torture Calhoun over a four-day period, several people came to the house to buy drugs.

He says the first came to the house April 9 — one day into the alleged torture.

“He is there to purchase drugs. He sees Dominick instated. He says, ‘You have to get this kid medical attention.’ Brandon Hayes responded, ‘No, I have warrants for me,’” Pickell said.

“Corrine agrees with Brandon Hayes and stated beyond that, ‘We don’t want CPS involved,’ meaning Child Protective Services.”

my days, random people there to buy drugs show more concern than momma or her dear BF. and why didnt they report this to LE themselves?

RIP sweet Dominick. You didn't deserve this. Shame on both of these people. May the consequences for their actions (or lack thereof) be to the fullest extent of the law.

10mmnit.jpg

Corrine Baker, mother of Dominick Calhoun, 4, arraigned on second-degree murder, child abuse charges

Baker is being held without bond for the second-degree murder charge and a $1 million cash surety bond of the second-degree child abuse charge.

from here:

Judge orders forensic exam for Brandon Hayes, man accused of torturing Dominick Calhoun

The exam will determine if Hayes, 24, is competent to stand trial. He has been charged with first-degree, premeditated murder, torture and first-degree child abuse in the beating death of Dominick.

Hayes' attorney, James Piazza, said Hayes was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in March.

The Saginaw attorney said during his meetings with his client, Hayes sometimes forgets why he is in jail and that Dominick is dead.

"(A social worker) believed my client had mental illness ... and had paranoid delusions," he said.

"(A social worker) believed my client had mental illness ... and had paranoid delusions," he said.

Of course he does....

Corrine Baker to undergo psychiatric evaluation

Baker stood tearfully before Genesee County District Judge Conover Tuesday as her Defense Attorney, Erwin Meiers III, stated she suffered from post traumatic stress disorder, depression, and anxiety. Meyers claims these psychological conditions are results of beatings Baker endured from her boyfriend, 24 year old Brandon Hayes. Meyers says Baker has been placed on several medications to deal with these medical issues, and therefore may not be competent to stand trial in the death of her four year old child.

Dominick’s alleged killer has disturbing mental health history

"Just six to eight weeks ago is when he was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia," attorney James Piazza told Judge John Conover in Genesee County’s 67th District Court Tuesday.

Piazza says a social worker at a jail where Hayes was lodged in March for domestic violence requested he be admitted for involuntary psychiatric treatment. He was then ordered to receive at least seven days of treatment at a psychiatric hospital where he received the diagnosis.

Piazza says doctors wrote Hayes a prescription when he was released from jail, but he could not afford to fill it. He says someone should have followed up on his condition, given the diagnosis.

Family, lawmakers work to enact Dominick's Law, named for Dominick Calhoun, 4, who died after beating

Fish said the bill hasn’t been drafted so specifics about the proposal are not yet available, but a draft is expected to be completed as soon as next week. After the draft is complete, Fish said the legislators expect to hold a work session with the families of Dominick and Calista.

I just saw Dominick's father on the news. He's a part of a fund raiser/rally against child abuse at the Come Back Inn in Highland Twp. tonight. Dominicks paternal grandfather was on also, broke my heart. Dominick was his only grandchild. Just passing the info. I hope this is the most current thread for Dominick.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back