MI - Eleven Infant Bodies Found - Detroit - 12 Oct 2018

Detroit police chief to discuss investigation into Cantrell Funeral Home

Investigation ongoing after mummified fetuses found at shuttered funeral home

DETROIT
- Detroit Police Chief James Craig is holding a news conference Friday afternoon to discuss an ongoing criminal investigation into a shuttered funeral home where the remains of 11 infants and the cremains of four people were found...

Am I missing something? Was there financial gain to keeping infant corpses and fetuses? Is this hoarding?

Michigan State Police and FBI have joined DPD in the investigation. DPD Chief James Craig said during his press conference yesterday that this is being investigated as a criminal case. I have some thoughts about what might be going on but don't want this discussion to turn into a moral debate ;)

What in the world. Did these 63 babies receive fake burial services, meaning the home for some reason led the families to believe they were buried or cremated? If so, why would the funeral home have any reason to retain the bodies rather than bury or cremate them? Or I wonder if some of them were somehow unclaimed. I am having trouble understanding how 63 babies, presumably with some living family members, ended up not receiving the respectful services they deserved.

Michigan State Police and FBI have joined DPD in the investigation. DPD Chief James Craig said during his press conference yesterday that this is being investigated as a criminal case. I have some thoughts about what might be going on but don't want this discussion to turn into a moral debate ;)

Wow. Multiple funeral homes! So much horror in this story!

I wonder, instead of restoring the Cantrell Funeral Home location into a community center (which was the original plan by the new property owner, iirc), maybe the city and state can help pay to have it razed, and then build a new, updated center instead.

I have a feeling that what you might be thinking may explain the babies.

Also, IMO, there almost certainly was fraud. At least one fetus, a stillborn, was found with a death certificate. (Link below.)

Guh, this is so heartbreaking.

This is morbid, I know, but cremains are also being found. I wonder if investigators are able to get DNA and/or decipher by the cremains whether they are from adults or children.

Just before the Cantrell mortuary/funeral home was shut down in April, investigators had also found multiple decomposing, embalmed bodies.

Why weren’t they buried? If there was a funeral and burial, then who/what was actually buried?! :eek:

And then there’s the morbid tip/discovery that happened in August.

“On Aug. 28, an anonymous caller reported that more corpses were inside the shuttered business. The next day, inspectors discovered a stillborn corpse and a set of cremated remains on a table that was not there during the inspection in April, according to the state.

“A death certificate found in the building allowed Dale's office to contact the mother of the stillborn child.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cl...-coverage-detroit-funeral-home-investigations

bbm

If there are death dates, that probably means there are death certificates, too, right? I hope so. It’ll make finding the families much easier, imo.

I can’t imagine being the detective who has to call the parent of a stillborn child to tell them this kind of news.

My heart goes out to everyone in these communities.

What a nightmare.

Remains of dozens of fetuses removed from Detroit funeral home

The remains were found in unrefrigerated boxes and a deep freezer, authorities said. Some of the bodies had dates of death in 2015.

"I've never seen anything (like this) in my 41 and a half years" as an officer, Detroit police chief James Craig said, the Detroit Free Press reported.​

:(

Cremated remains of 4 people found in last 48 hours at Cantrell Funeral Home in Detroit

The new owner of the Cantrell Funeral Home in Detroit is turning the building into a community center. But first, he's planning a prayer service this weekend for those who still have unanswered questions about loved ones left at the building.​

The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs confirmed it was notified that four cremated remains were found during the construction of the building. A LARA spokesperson said the remains have been taken to Verheyden Funeral Home in Eastpointe.​

Just researching some numbers, thought there were interesting, so I’m sharing.

They’re sobering. It’s saddens me that many don’t fully understand how many families are impacted by miscarried and stillborn pregnancies.

To lose a child this way and then have the funeral home allegedly mishandle the baby while possibly defrauding the family is unconscionable!

My heart aches.

• Up to 20-25 percent of pregnancies in the U.S. end in miscarriage. (Though the number’s an estimate — the full number isn’t known, according to the CDC. That is largely contributed to the fact that “birth” certificates can’t be issued if they’re very early, also meaning there can be no death certificates, either.)

• Most happen within the first first 20 weeks.

• In a 2013 survey, 15 percent of women said they have had a miscarriage.

• Most doctors don’t test for causes of miscarriage until a woman’s lost several pregnancies, and even then no cause is found 50-75 percent of the time.

• Almost 50 percent of parents said they “felt guilty” or blamed themselves for the miscarriage, and many believed a woman could have a miscarriage if the pregnancy “wasn’t wanted.” (Medical evidence and science disproves the latter, btw.)

• Stillbirths and miscarriages aren’t the same. A stillbirth happens during or just before delivery (37 weeks or later). A miscarriage is usually defined before the 20th week of pregnancy. “Early stillbirths” are after the 20th week.

• According to the CDC, about 24,000 babies are born stillborn each year in the U.S. About the same number of children die each year in their first year of being born, as well. That’s 48,000. So sad.

• However, the full number of miscarriages is much higher, and unknown.

• Being over age 35, or black, or a teenager, or having multiple childbirths and/or miscarriages increases the likelihood of stillbirth.

Facts | Stillbirth | NCBDDD | CDC

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.huffpost.com/entry/miscarriage-cause_n_4116712/amp

I wondered if it was an abortion thing. Don't funeral homes have the ability to cremate bodies or access to somewhere that does? Why keep them?

What in the world. Did these 63 babies receive fake burial services, meaning the home for some reason led the families to believe they were buried or cremated? If so, why would the funeral home have any reason to retain the bodies rather than bury or cremate them? Or I wonder if some of them were somehow unclaimed. I am having trouble understanding how 63 babies, presumably with some living family members, ended up not receiving the respectful services they deserved.
Are infant or fetus bodies needed in med schools? Is this some Burke and Hare type thing? If they had funerals for even some of these babies why keep the bodies?

I wondered if it was an abortion thing. Don't funeral homes have the ability to cremate bodies or access to somewhere that does? Why keep them?

I’m looking online, but haven’t found that Michigan has enacted a fetal tissue burial/cremation law that would apply. The one I do know in Texas was halted in a US District Court and is headed to the SCOTUS.

ETA:

This applies to all miscarriages, stillbirths, and fetal complications like hemorrhages, too, including what Michigan law calls “fetal remains.”

• 10 weeks+ are fetal remains
• 20 weeks+ is fetal death, including stillbirth and miscarriage
• 20 weeks or less is miscarriage
• I think we all know how abortion works, so those aren’t counted as miscarriages or abortions, so I won’t define the procedure here. All are recorded per law (vital statistics).
• Fetal deaths after 20 weeks must have a certificate of stillbirth filed
• Yes, parents can donate fetuses and fetal remains to scientific research
• No, donated remains wouldn’t go to a funeral home.
• Aborted fetal remains (defined above): “Unless the mother has provided written consent for research on the fetal remains under section 2688, a physician who performs an abortion shall arrange for the final disposition of the remains” via “interment or cremation as those terms are defined in section 2 of the cemetery regulation act, 1968 PA 251, MCL 456.522, or by incineration by a person other than a cemetery registered under the cemetery regulation act.” (ie: funeral home, I presume?)

ETA 2: (Including this, as this info might become relevant to the Detroit funeral homes. But it might not. We don’t know for sure yet.)

• “Disposal of fetal remains resulting from an abortion may occur without the supervision of a funeral director.”

• “This section does not require a physician to discuss the final disposition of the fetal remains with the mother before performing the abortion, nor does it require a physician to obtain authorization from the mother for the final disposition of the fetal remains upon completion of the abortion.”

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(qighxa45zduz5a45ur4yeqrr))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-368-1978-2-28.pdf

Last edited:
Detroit police find 63 fetuses in boxes, freezers of funeral home

So much wrong here.

I’ll note, too, that law enforcement has not confirmed the events at these two funeral homes are related, albeit they share similarities.

The Perry case reeks of fraud, as well, imho. Not as sure about Cantrell just yet.

Perry Funeral Home:
  • The funeral home failed to secure permits for removal or burial of dead human bodies before interment or disposal.
  • Perry "obtained possession or embalmed the dead human bodies of the fetuses and infants without first being expressly directed or authorized to do so by a relative of the deceased persons or a person entitled to custody," the release said.
  • Craig, meanwhile, said he already had planned to meet with the county and state representatives but asked the FBI to attend because of allegations that Perry Funeral Home fraudulently billed Medicaid and the state for burials and funeral services that weren't performed.

During the raid earlier Friday at Q A Cantrell Funeral Home, police removed computers, phone records and other items, according to the Eastpointe funeral home's attorney.

Detroit police on Friday also raided the home of Annetta Cantrell, owner of Q A Cantrell Funeral Home. Attorney Arnold Reed insists the Eastpointe facility is not affiliated with the shuttered Detroit funeral home of the same name, other than Annetta Cantrell was once married to Raymond Cantrell, former owner of the Detroit facility.

Last edited:
I’m looking online, but haven’t found that Michigan has enacted a fetal tissue burial/cremation law that would apply. The one I do know in Texas was halted in a US District Court and is headed to the SCOTUS.

ETA:

This applies to all miscarriages, stillbirths, and fetal complications like hemorrhages, too, including what Michigan law calls “fetal remains.”

• 10 weeks+ are fetal remains
• 20 weeks+ is fetal death, including stillbirth and miscarriage
• 20 weeks or less is miscarriage
• I think we all know how abortion works, so those aren’t counted as miscarriages or abortions, so I won’t define the procedure here. All are recorded per law (vital statistics).
• Fetal deaths after 20 weeks must have a certificate of stillbirth filed
• Yes, parents can donate fetuses and fetal remains to scientific research
• No, donated remains wouldn’t go to a funeral home.
• Aborted fetal remains (defined above): “Unless the mother has provided written consent for research on the fetal remains under section 2688, a physician who performs an abortion shall arrange for the final disposition of the remains” via “interment or cremation as those terms are defined in section 2 of the cemetery regulation act, 1968 PA 251, MCL 456.522, or by incineration by a person other than a cemetery registered under the cemetery regulation act.” (ie: funeral home, I presume?)

ETA 2: (Including this, as this info might become relevant to the Detroit funeral homes. But it might not. We don’t know for sure yet.)

• “Disposal of fetal remains resulting from an abortion may occur without the supervision of a funeral director.”

• “This section does not require a physician to discuss the final disposition of the fetal remains with the mother before performing the abortion, nor does it require a physician to obtain authorization from the mother for the final disposition of the fetal remains upon completion of the abortion.”

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(qighxa45zduz5a45ur4yeqrr))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-368-1978-2-28.pdf

Good info. Thanks!

Fetal death reporting instructions in Michigan. It’s a 25-page pdf.
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/...e2003VersionoftheFetalDeathReport_63695_7.pdf

The required facility-side form for filing a fetus death in Michigan.
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/Facilityworksheet-Fetaldeath_63696_7.PDF

The required overall fetal death report form:
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/DCH0615LFetal_63621_7.pdf

And the required form for the patient: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/Patientworksheet-fetaldeath_63709_7.PDF

Perry Funeral Home shut down after 63 fetuses discovered

There is little closure for dozens of parents who lost pregnancies at the Detroit Medical Center's Harper-Hutzel Hospital...

Perry Funeral Home, Harper Hutzel Hospital and Wayne State are facing a civil suit over this as a criminal investigation unfolds for how those remains were handled by this funeral home...

Looks like the investigation is focusing on Perry Funeral Home connection to Detroit Medical Canter and Wayne State University. Stay tuned...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back