MI MI - Erik Cross, 16, Vicksburg, 26 Jun 1983

Person of interest in cold case charged with other crimes

http://wwmt.com/news/local/person-of-interest-in-cold-case-charged-with-other-crimes

A person of interest in a decades old unsolved murder was arraigned on unrelated charges Thursday.

Brent Spaulding was charged with assault, illegal entry, trespassing, and possession of marijuana.

Sources tell Newschannel 3 that Spaulding is the primary person of interest in the 1983 murder of Erik Cross. Cross’ body was found outside his home in Vicksburg.

Spaulding has not been arrested or charged in connection with Cross’ death.

Sister hopes 'Justice for Erik Cross' will finally come after 34 years

After 34 years, family members of Erik Cross are hoping to finally see arrests made in connection to his death.

Cross was 16 years old when he was found dead on a street near Vicksburg in 1983. His younger sister, Jackie Mitchell, said Friday that arrest warrants have been requested for people suspected of involvement in his death.

Kalamazoo County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Scott Brower confirmed this morning that the Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Office has presented the case to his office, but said it remains under review. He said media reports that arrest warrants have been authorized were incorrect.

Erik Cross murder case now in the hands of prosecutor after 32 years

"Right now we have five persons who are believed to be involved in some way, either through coverup, direct involvement or aiding and abetting in the case," Matyas said.

We named Brent Spaulding--a former classmate of Erik's--as a person of interest when we broke developments in the case back in September. And we can now name the other four.

Sources confirm they are Brian Spaulding Sr.--Brent's father; Amber Thomas, his girlfriend at the time; and former friends Bill Cook and Tim Martin.

Justice For Erik Stirling Cross Facebook Page

http://woodtv.com/2017/12/27/group-calls-for-charges-in-erik-cross-cold-case-death/

It’s been nearly three months since the Kalamazoo Sheriff’s Office turned over its findings in the case to prosecutors for review. Now, it’s up to Kalamazoo County Prosecutor Jeff Getting to decide whether to file charges.

Wednesday, a group known as Erik’s Army gathered outside the courthouse in downtown Kalamazoo to call on Getting’s office to charge the people they believe are responsible for Cross’ death.

“We are expecting something soon,” said demonstrator Julie Josuns. “It’s time. There’s no reason not to go forward with this. So, we are looking for something to happen.”

This case makes my blood boil!
BS is in and out of jail, creating havoc on humankind in the area, and he skates away each and every time.
Well, this is the kind of thing we read about too often here on WS.

He will end up killing someone else (likely a woman) and everyone will look at his record and be astonished that he was even out walking the streets.

I've only been following this case for a little over two years, and I get physically upset over it, often. This poor family had been yanked around for DECADES!
Now that "Erik's Army" (an INCREDIBLE group of people) has finally gotten them to properly investigate it and turn it over to prosecutors, they are at another brick wall in getting Getting to file charges.
It is WAY BEYOND time to arrest, charge and LOCK these people up!

Last I heard this year the Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Department handed the case over too Chief prosecuting attorney, Jeff Getting. However Getting or his office has yet to approve the charging request's from KCSD. It may because they are waiting for the Dalton case to be over with.

Erik Cross cold case referred to Michigan Attorney General
Monday afternoon, AG Nessel’s office released this statement:

“At the request of Kalamazoo County Prosecutor Jeff Getting and the Kalamazoo County Sheriff’s Department, the Office of the Attorney General is doing a very preliminary review of the Erik Cross cold case homicide but have not made any determination regarding the next steps.”

Mar 28, 2019

Thank you for sharing the video dotr/

I really feel that justice is coming soon and these monsters are going to pay!
these Evil people live their life like nothing happened ,some of them have families and regular lives while Eric's family lived in endless agony , I want to see the face of each one of the murderers when they hear the knock on their door , in that moment their
smile will erase. I hope they will suffer Extremely for the murder of Eric
and for the pain they caused to Eric's Family.

Thank you for sharing the video dotr/

I really feel that justice is coming soon and these monsters are going to pay!
these Evil people live their life like nothing happened ,some of them have families and regular lives while Eric's family lived in endless agony , I want to see the face of each one of the murderers when they hear the knock on their door , in that moment their
smile will erase. I hope they will suffer Extremely for the murder of Eric
and for the pain they caused to Eric's Family.

I hope you are right. My dad was raised in Vicksburg, his entire family still reside in Vicksburg, as a child, I heard a lot of chit chat about this case, when we visited Vicksburg. Crazy to read about it after all these years. Justice is past due. Moo

I hope you are right. My dad was raised in Vicksburg, his entire family still reside in Vicksburg, as a child, I heard a lot of chit chat about this case, when we visited Vicksburg. Crazy to read about it after all these years. Justice is past due. Moo

Justice should have happened so many years ago but at least there is real hope now that something is going to happen and they will punished .I am curious to know what do you think was the motive? I tend to believe it was something regarding Eric and Amber and jealousy of one of the murderers, Amber Defends the killers.

Crime Wire Investigates the Murder of Erik Cross

"Two 2011 episodes of the Crime Wire radio show feature the cold case investigation into the 1983 murder of Erik Stirling Cross. To learn more, friend Erik Stirling Cross on Facebook or type Erik Stirling Cross into an Internet search engine. The first show was aired on February 15, 2011. The second show was aired on March 1, 2011. Erik's story starts about halfway through the first show. The entire March show is about Erik's story."

Justice should have happened so many years ago but at least there is real hope now that something is going to happen and they will punished .I am curious to know what do you think was the motive? I tend to believe it was something regarding Eric and Amber and jealousy of one of the murderers, Amber Defends the killers.

I have no theory, really have not thought about this case much, haven’t been to Vicksburg lately, either.
Your theory is as good as any, imo.

ETA: very weird when we stumble upon a case we have familiarity with. MI cases (especially western MI) catch my attention. Often times names or locations make me go “whoa, I know him/her, I have been there....”.

Last edited:
Ima tell ya...Erik has an ARMY behind him, there is no doubt about that! If justice could be brought by hard work from incredible advocates, this case would have been over long ago. Erik's Army are at it daily, making noise to those who have the power to do the right thing, raising awareness, keeping tabs on the legal binds of the Core (and that is no easy feat!) postering, and postering, and postering. NEVER LETTING THIS REST. It's slow going, but it's going. Thank-you to Erik's Army. They are the kind of team I'd want on my side if seeking justice. xo

"Melissa Hatfield stood in a front of a couple dozen people on Kimball Lake Drive Sunday afternoon, talking about safety, road rules and a single mission. "As long as they're thinking about Erik, we win,” she said. “Erik wins.”

Hatfield is an organizer for Erik's Army. The group was created to keep the memory of Erik Cross, and his death, in the public eye.

The group, adorned in purple shirts to represent Cross’s favorite color, holds the “Walk Erik Home” march along Y Avenue each year. Their route follows the same path Cross took as he walked home from a party in June of 1983. The next morning, Cross’s father found his son’s body dumped outside of their family home."

Erik's Army walks for justice in 36-year-old cold case

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back