MI MI/FL - MCRAE, John Rodney, Michigan & Florida, 1950-1987

Discussion in 'Serial Killers' started by mysteriew, Jun 30, 2005.

1. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

A 70-year-old man convicted of killing two Michigan boys decades ago and suspected in the unsolved deaths of three boys in Florida has died in prison, the Michigan Department of Corrections said.

He was sentenced to life in prison without parole two weeks ago.

He also was a main suspect in the disappearances of three teenage Florida boys in Brevard County in the 1970s, where he lived at the time.

Keith Fleming, 14, disappeared in 1977 from Cocoa Beach; Kip Hess, 12, went missing in 1979 from Merritt Island; and Charles Collingwood, 19, disappeared from Sharpes the same year.

McRae was never charged in the cases, but Florida police interviewed him repeatedly, at least once a year for several years, including as recently as at his June 15 sentencing. Florida authorities offered him immunity from prosecution if he told police where the boys' bodies were, but McRae never told.

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/12017955.htm

2. Loading...

3. Usher737

Usher737 New Member

Florida authorities offered him immunity from prosecution if he told police where the boys' bodies were, but McRae never told.

How sad!! This sick SOB was dying and still would not talk.
    He could have given those poor families some relief. I hope he rots in hell!!

Also, just having to spend 12 more days in prison was too few. By reading the full article, LE let him out when he was sent to jail for life at 16. If he stayed in, those 5 boys would still be alive. Justice was not served here!

4. shadowangel

shadowangel Black cats consider me unlucky.

Once McRae left FL after being questioned about the missing boys, he and his family bounced around the country until '84 when he retuned to MI...makes one wonder what other missing boys out there had the misfortune of crossing paths with McRae. McRae fled MI in '88, nearly a year after the disappearance of Laufer. After the remains of Laufer were located on property formerly belonging to McRae in '97, he and his family were finally located in AZ. His son, Martin, is in prison in NV for molesting his then 10-year old daughter and her friend.
    The murder of the 8-year old which put him in prison at the age of 16 was considered an especially brutal murder, including sexual torture and dismemberment.
    How anyone came up with the idea of letting this sociopath out of prison after only 20 years is beyond my comprehension...

5. shadowangel

shadowangel Black cats consider me unlucky.

Oh, yeah...After he was released from prison and finished his parole, what kind of job did he get? Why, prison guard, of course!!! And, where else do you assign a vicious murderer of young boys? A young boys' detention center, of course!!!!
    What is going on in this country when it comes to our kids???????:doh:

6. scriptgirl

scriptgirl Active Member

He was 16 when he dismembered a young boy? WTF?

7. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Man, son charged in decade-old murder
    The Daily Courier October 19, 1997

John Rodney McRae Guilty of Murder

8. Cymro

Cymro New Member

Well it was the 70s so I doubt it's still going on, but I literally cannot think of a worse candidate for that job.