GUILTY MI - Gary and Laura Johnson, mid-60's, Portage, Feb 2021 *son arrested*

Wow. So crazy. I hadn’t seen this yet but my bother lives in the area and was complaining there had been a chopper overhead for over an hour. According to him, they bugged out around 10:30. What an odd time to search.

Noting:
  • On June 18, Johnson was found mentally competent and legally able to stand trial.
  • Preliminary hearing was held Aug. 24 in Kalamazoo County District Court.
  • The case was bound over to Kalamazoo County Circuit Court.
  • Charges: two counts of open murder, two counts of felony firearm and possession of a weapon by a felon.
  • Johnson is in the Kalamazoo County Jail.
  • His next court date is not yet scheduled.

NOV 30, 2021
Man accused of killing Portage parents to undergo another mental competency exam - mlive.com
[...]

His attorney plans to argue that Johnson was insane at the time of the alleged murders, according to documents filed in Kalamazoo County Circuit Court.

Johnson will undergo an examination for criminal responsibility through the Center for Forensic Psychiatry, according to a Nov. 29 order from Judge Gary Giguere Jr.

He was previously found competent after a June 18 hearing in Kalamazoo County District Court.

[...]

Johnson is scheduled for a status conference Feb. 1 in Kalamazoo County Circuit Court. ...

[...]

You can find 13 of his mugshots at this link, although the charges are unknown for a few listings. Also, let's not forget he has a juvenile record that is likely sealed. I wonder if at any point the courts ever ordered mental health care as part of his sentencing? As Ms. Johnson wrote when she petitioned for a protection order on 1 Mar 2018, he clearly needed MH intervention.

Page 3: "At this point, Gary and I are concerned for our safety and others safety and we are done with allowing him to keep destroying our house and property and are concerned that he has crossed the line and has now hurt someone (me). I need him to stay away from us for a while and he needs some mental health help."

Thanks for the link to the PPOs, @PommyMommy!
Wow those eyes

OCT 2, 2023
A Portage man accused of killing and burying his parents in February 2021 pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree murder on Monday, Oct. 2.

NOV 1, 2023
A Portage man who pleaded no contest in October to killing and burying his parents was sentenced to 29 to 69 years in prison on Wednesday.

This means he must serve a minimum sentence of 29 years before he is eligible for parole.

NOV 2, 2023
Nick Johnson is also considered a person of interest in the case of 17-year-old Bonifacio Pena, who vanished in 2018 after having last been seen with Nick Johnson. Williams told News 8 that Portage police are still investigating that case, but no charges are imminent.

NOV 4, 2023
Relatives and friends who gave victim impact statements during Wednesday's sentencing mentioned Nicholas Johnson’s mental health issues and said his parents feared him.

“It was never if Nick was going to kill them, but when,” said DR, Laura Johnson’s cousin.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back