MI - Girl's MySpace Mideast Meeting Plot Foiled

I feel sad for her family. "Kath" is likely to try and get to this guy someday. She's clearly able to lie and fool her parents. His family obviously supportive and willing to help. It would break my heart wondering everytime I saw my teenaged daughter if it would be the last time. :(

I'd probably have her micro-chipped like my cats! :eek:

Jubie

If I ever have daughters, they will be microchipped and GPS'ed. Or I'll just follow them. Everywhere. The world is a scary place.

Yesterday, a 15 year old daughter of a divorced male friend saw me at a bookstore and started bragging to me about all the times she sneaks out of her mother's house by herself. She was only "caught" once by her family.

Thank God she wasn't "caught" by someone else.

I'm telling her father. I hate to be a tattle tale when she trusts me - but if she keeps sneaking out of the house and crossing that busy highway - who knows who could grab her or run her over?

And the beat goes on. :) Seems as if her parents do approve as the love birds spend some 5 hrs/day apparently on internet phone calls. My last installment or update. Lol.

"Palestinian Anguishes Over MySpace Romance"

"JERICHO, West Bank -- The Palestinian man who befriended a 16-year-old Michigan girl through the MySpace.com Web site and invited her to join him in Jericho said he is heartbroken by U.S. authorities' decision to send her back home.

Abdullah Jimzawi, 20, told The Associated Press that his love for Katherine Lester, of Gilford, Mich., was pure and they planned to marry. The music buff, who spends at least 10 hours a day on the Internet, decried attempts to portray him as an Internet predator."

Further:

"Jimzawi, a high school dropout with close-cropped hair, a two-day beard and large, dark eyes, said Katherine was willing to convert to Islam and that the pair remain in close contact, speaking to each other at least five hours a day via Internet phone calls."

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...43398.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

A high school dropout who spends up to 10 hours a day on the internet sounds like a dream husband, doesn't he? (sarcasm) A real winner, I'd say.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060620/NEWS01/606200341/1001/news

DETROIT - Authorities have filed a runaway juvenile petition against a Michigan teenager who flew to the Middle East to be with a man she met on the MySpace.com Internet site.

The paperwork was filed Monday in Tuscola County Family Court by the county sheriff and prosecutor against Katherine Lester of Gilford, said Kyle Jaskula, the court administrator.

At a hearing on Monday, Judge W. Wallace Kent Jr. ordered Lester to give up her passport and undergo counseling. He did not rule on the validity of the petition, and further hearings have not been scheduled.

If the judge finds that Lester is a runaway, she could be placed under court supervision until she turns 18. Such supervision usually means she would be monitored by a probation officer and made to undergo counseling, Jaskula said.
----------------------------
Lester, who boarded a flight to Israel after slipping out of her mother's house, has not spoken to reporters since returning to the United States on June 9. She has taken refuge at an undisclosed location with her father to escape the media frenzy.

Jimzawi said he plans to apply for a visa to visit Lester.

The FBI seized the Lester family's computer and continues to investigate the case.

I figure this news belongs here as these two love birds met at My Space. I personally can't blame MySpace however they must put rules into place to try and thwart law suits. I just don't believe you can stop devious predators or stupid, uh, mentally challenged or plain naive people from doing the wrong thing.
Sorta wish MySpace and others could sue those who want to sue them, for being so mentally challenged. Ha! I wish everyone had a good heart and no evil intentions however I live on planet earth where obviously, that just ain't so.

"MySpace plans new rules to thwart predators
Changes follow other safety-related measures on the popular service"

"NEW YORK - MySpace.com is planning new restrictions on how adults may contact its younger users in response to growing concerns about the safety of teenagers who frequent the popular online social networking site."

and

"Just this week, a 14-year-old girl who says she was sexually assaulted by a 19-year-old user sued MySpace and News Corp., seeking $30 million in damages. And earlier this month, a 16-year-old girl who tricked her parents into getting her a passport flew to the Mideast to be with a 20-year-old man she met through MySpace. U.S. officials in Jordan persuaded the teen to turn around and go home.

MySpace officials say the new restrictions have been long planned and are unrelated to recent events."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13447786/

I believe I saw a blurb for Friday's "Good Morning America" that will have a segment on this story. It said the viewers would hear from both parties and they showed both Katherine and Abdullah at their computers.

Here is an article I saw today;

news link
(AP) - GILFORD, Mich.-A teenager who flew to the Middle East to be with a man she met on MySpace.com said Friday she intends to marry him.

"I love him very much," 17-year-old Katherine Lester said of Abdullah Jimzawi, 20, who works in his father's business delivering goods to West Bank convenience stores.

news230();

Lester appeared on ABC-

TV's "Good Morning America" with her father and stepmother. Jimzawi also spoke with ABC during a taped portion of the segment, describing how the pair "can't live without each other."
After hearing what Jimzawi said, Lester began weeping.

"It's true," she said. "I love you. That's all I can say."

Jimzawi has told The Associated Press that the two planned to marry and that Lester planned to convert to Islam. Lester, a Christian, declined to say Friday whether she intended to convert.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back