Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: January 16, 1952
Age at time of disappearance: 21-years-old
Approximate Height: 6'2
Approximate Weight: 175 lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Distinguishing Characteristics: African American male.
No tattoos and no distinctive scars.
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Unavailable
DNA: Pending
Clothing: Black turtleneck sweater, light grey slacks, and black and grey shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Henry was scheduled to testify as the victim and witness of an armed robbery that took place in March 1973, but he vanished a few days before the hearing.

At the time of his disappearance, Henry was a social science and music honor student and the drum major for the Michigan State University Spartan Marching Band. His 1968 Buick was located on campus and all his belongings were in place.

A VICAP report has been submitted to the FBI and to the Michigan State Police.

Investigating Agency
East Lansing Police Department
517-319-6811

Agency Case Number: 1241.C.73

Sources:
East Lansing Police Department
Michigan Does – Henry Louis Baltimore Jr

LINK:
http://www.michigandoes.com/MP/HenryBaltimoreJr.html

Article from The State News:

Mysterious disappearance
Missing person's case remains open, family searches for closure

By LINDSEY POISSON
15 August 2006

PHOTO by DAVE WEATHERWAX: The State News Henry Baltimore, an MSU student and Spartan Marching Band drum major, disappeared without a trace in May 1973. Today, his family members —" younger brother Lonnie Baltimore, left, his mother Doris Baltimore, center, and older sister Lural Baltimore —" are still waiting for answers in his mysterious disappearance.

A 33-year-old question is still waiting to be answered.Henry Louis Baltimore, Jr. went missing without a trace in 1973, and subsequent investigations have not revealed what happened to the former social science and music honor student.

Police found only the MSU marching band drum major's 1968 Buick two days before an armed robbery suspect, who 21-year-old Baltimore had testified against, was scheduled to appear in court.

But in April, the East Lansing Police Department resumed the missing person's case and is attempting to discover what became of him.

On Sunday, Baltimore's family sat together in his brother's house, talking about the case and looking at faded photographs of Baltimore dressed up in uniform leading the MSU band. Old, yellowed articles from newspapers, including The State News, Lansing State Journal and Jackson Citizen Patriot, lay strewn over a coffee table, documenting the chronology of the case throughout the years.

Periodically, family members would shake their heads, not knowing what more to say about Baltimore's disappearance.

Thirty-three years later, and still nothing. His belongings, car keys and Buick were left behind at his apartment, but Baltimore simply vanished.

"Everything was in its place," Baltimore's sister, Lural Baltimore said. "If he was going to run away, why not take his car?"It's hard for us to believe that he's been away all this time and has not contacted his family."

From the day her brother disappeared, Lural Baltimore said it was difficult to stay informed of everything the police were doing in their investigation. Her family even had to wait 48 hours after the time he disappeared before a missing person's report could be filed.

"I felt enough was not being done to look into the situation and the case," Lural Baltimore said. "It's very hard for me to say they weren't doing what they needed to do because they didn't give you a lot of information on 'this is what they're doing.'"

The case

Every story regarding the events leading up to the MSU student's disappearance is slightly different.

But the fact remains that on March 3, 1973, two men entered Henry Baltimore's 340 Oakhill Ave. apartment and threatened him with a revolver. The men tied Baltimore to his bedsprings, searched his apartment and took about $110 and personal items, such as golf clubs, clothing and a watch. The drum major also was allegedly pistol-whipped during that time.

Police arrested Flint resident Roy L. Davis and charged him in connection with the robbery. To make a case, Baltimore had to testify against Davis in court, and did so during a May 24, 1973, preliminary examination. After his testimony, Davis' case was bound for trial in circuit court.

After Baltimore's testimony, Davis allegedly threatened him. According to witnesses, Davis asked Baltimore not to pursue charges and said, "I should have killed you when I had the chance" and "You are messing with my life. If you testify like you did today, I don't have anything to lose, so I can pull out all the stops." Witnesses also said they saw Davis go to Baltimore's house after he testified and on the day he disappeared.

On May 30, 1973, Lural Baltimore went to get a final exam paper she agreed to type for her brother. His car was outside his apartment and his belongings were inside his apartment, but he was nowhere to be found.Police considered the possibility that he voluntarily went into hiding to avoid testifying again. But after 33 years and no sign of Henry Baltimore, police are now considering homicide as a possibility.

The investigation

East Lansing police Detective Steve Gonzalez said Baltimore is still classified as a missing person because no concrete evidence of a homicide or kidnapping has been found. "The best option would be to find Henry's body because all indications say he's probably dead," Gonzalez said. "He hasn't been seen in 33 years, and there has been no contact with his family for 33 years, and common sense says he was the victim of a homicide."

Now-retired detective Jim Kelly, who was in charge of Baltimore's case in 1973, suspects the drum major was kidnapped and killed."Not having him show up some place, whether alive or dead, is unusual," he said. "Because hunting season was coming up not too far, we were pretty sure his body would turn up somewhere between here and Flint. Pretty disappointing, I guess."

Kelly said the police have dental records for Baltimore, which will help police pursue leads. But the emergence of DNA technology, which was unavailable in 1973, might make a difference, he said.

Gonzalez said Baltimore's family members' DNA has already been collected to create a DNA profile of Baltimore, which was entered into a national missing persons database. If there is an unknown individual or remains, DNA can be compared with the database, and there is the possibility of a match, he said.Gonzalez said he works on the case whenever more recent caseloads for the department are low.

Ideally, police would like to find Baltimore. Gonzalez said his goal is to at least update the case, and he is following new leads. The last report regarding Baltimore was filed in 1980, he said.

Looking for answers

The oldest male out of eight siblings, Baltimore was active in the Jackson and MSU communities and devoted to the MSU Marching Band, Lural Baltimore said.

"As a student, he loved MSU because he loved the band," she said. "He was absolutely ecstatic and did what he could."

Henry Baltimore's mother, Doris Baltimore, said she remembers her son as the young paper delivery boy and Cub Scout who "just got along with everybody."Before the armed robbery and court proceedings involving Davis, it seemed he had no enemies, Lural Baltimore said.

The family is following up whenever they can, especially when articles are written about the case, she said."We haven't had any closure," Lural Baltimore said. "Anything anyone does keeps it out there so it doesn't get lost."

Source:

The State News - www.statenews.com

LINK:

http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=37228

It would appear that the prime suspect in Henry Baltimore's disappearance was Roy L. Davis, seen and heard by witnesses threatening Henry if he testified against him.

While Davis seems to have gotten out of all charges involving the assault and robbery of Henry, his criminal activities continued and he did several stints in Prison. Here is a summary from the Michigan Corrections file on him:

MDOC Number: 144144
SID Number: 0692752A
Name: ROY LINDSAY DAVIS
Racial Identification: Black
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 170 lbs.
Date of Birth (age): 07/09/1953 (54)
Current Status: Discharged
Discharge Date: 12/20/1993

ALIASES
ROSS LYNN DAVIS
ROY LINZEY DAVIS

Sentence 1
Offense: Distribution without a License Minimum Sentence: 4 years 6 months 0 days
MCL# 333.7407 / 769.11
Maximum Sentence: 8 years 0 months
Court File# 85 4125-26-28 FH
Date of Offense: 08/22/1985
County: Livingston
Date of Sentence: 08/22/1985
Conviction Type:plea
Discharge Date: 03/04/1991
Discharge Reason: Order Terminated, Continued on Additional Order(s)

Sentence 2
Offense: Bond - Absconding or Forfeiting
Minimum Sentence: 4 years 6 months 0 days
And Much more ...

Wow. I attended MSU fall of '73 and don't remember hearing anything about this disappearance. Where is Roy Davis now since 1993?

Meaghan,

Thanks for posting Henry's case on your site.

I knew Henry personally at Michigan State. He was a very pleasant person, and extremely talented.

He started his Freshman year at MSU in Fall of 1970, and I recall that he was a bass drummer in the Spartan Marching Band that year and the next. Then, in his Junior year the position of Drum Major came open and both Henry and another black student were chosen to the post as Dual Drum Majors. I saw them perform with the band that fall and they were impressive!

I entered the Navy in April of 1973, and had just started flight training in Florida when Henry disappeared. I heard some months later from a friend that he had gone missing, but could never find out much about the case until recently.

Richard

Wow. I attended MSU fall of '73 and don't remember hearing anything about this disappearance. Where is Roy Davis now since 1993?

Henry's disappearance occurred on 30 May 1973, a week or two before the end of Spring Term. You ask a good question about Roy L. Davis.

Roy L. Davis, born 9 July 1953, age 54 is living in Harvey, Louisiana. He has previously resided in Gretna, LA and in Flint, Michigan. He as a number of relatives in all three places. He continues to use alliases or varriations on his name: Lindsey Davis, and Roy Lindsey Davis.

Another football season has ended. Except for the Bowl Games.

35 years ago, in November 1972, Henry Baltimore - high stepping Drum Major for the Michigan State University Spartan Marching Band - had just ended his first (and only) season in that important leadership position.

Just six months later, he disappeared and is still missing.

Drum majors absence puzzles police

By Ace Burgess

The State News

The following article was published Thursday, September 27, 1973, on page 16. The article can also be seen on microfilm at the Main Library.

On a cool afternoon, brown leaves are falling as the MSU Marching Band methodically goes through its routine for half time performances.

As in recent years, the kick-step is in and the dust is flying as the band trudges up and down the field in an effort to reach perfection.

There is one difference in this year's band that few people realize besides the band members themselves.

And that is the absence of their former drum major, Henry L. Baltimore, who was reported missing May 31, following his testimony against the man accused of robbing him at gun point last March.

Baltimore, a junior music major from Jackson, was reported missing to the East Lansing police by his parents and his three roommates. There are conflicting reports as to why and how he disappeared.

According to East Lansing detective Jim Kelly, one or two things happened to Baltimore. "He could have voluntarily gone into hiding to avoid testifying at the trial of Roy Davis, the man charged in the March 3 robbery of Baltimore. "Or there is the possibility that someone has done something with Henry," Kelly said.

However, Kelly was quick to point out that he doesn't really know what happened to Baltimore. He said the police have yet to uncover any firm leads as to Baltimore's whereabouts, even though there is a $1,000 reward for valid information about this.

Kelly said one reason that leads them to suspect that Baltimore may be hiding is that he failed to appear at an original preliminary exam for Davis early in May. Kelly said a bench warrant was issued for Baltimore's arrest and Baltimore was fined $50 for failing to appear.

Baltimore's sister Lural, an MSU graduate student, said the reason her brother didn't show for the first exam is because she asked him to take her to the University Health Center since she had torn some ligaments in her leg and couldn't drive.

A Health center official Tuesday confirmed that she visited the hospital on the day of the first hearing and a cheerleader, Wendy Segal, saw them at the clinic.

Lural said Baltimore felt her physical condition was more important than the exam. She said that Baltimore was going to talk to the judge about his absence on the day that he was arrested on the bench warrant.

After the arrest, Baltimore testified at a newly scheduled preliminary exam that was held on May 24. He disappeared seven days later, and has not been heard from since.

Because of his sudden disappearance, Lural fears her brother has been kidnapped and Davis is probably involved.

She said Davis visited her brother shortly after Baltimore testified at the preliminary exam and told him "I should have killed you when I had the chance."

George, one of Henry's roommates, was in the apartment at the time Davis came by. He overheard Davis tell Baltimore, "You are messing with my life. If you testify like you did today, I don't have anything to lose, so I can pull out all the stops."

Baltimore told his roommates that Davis was one of two men who came to his room at noon on March 3, gagged him, beat him, tied him to his bedsprings with telephone cord, put a gun to his head and robbed him of $110, golf clubs, rings, clothes and a watch.

Baltimore's three roommates said that he had told them that Davis had threatened to try anything to keep Baltimore from sending him to jail.

Davis failed to appear for his first trial date in late August. He is being held in the Ingham County Jail without bond, until a new trial is set.

Kelly said another reason Baltimore might have gone into hiding is that he may have thought he would be required to testify at Davis' arraignment, which was held June 1 in Ingham County Circuit Court.

However, friends and relatives of Baltimore's do not accept that theory. Baltimore's roommates said he was well aware that he didn't have to testify at the arraignment. His roommates cannot believe he went away voluntarily without taking his clothes or car.

Lural, who said she and her brother have had a close relationship, said he wouldn't go anywhere without his car. "Henry's not the type of person that would go somewhere and not tell anyone."

She said anytime that her brother was going out of the city, he would call and say where he was going. "I don't care what the police say, I know that Henry just didn't go off on his own," she said.

Henry's mother agrees with her daughter. "I just can't picture Henry just going off unless he was forced into it," Mrs. Baltimore said. "If it would have been just himself, he wouldn't have done it. I know my son and this isn't like him."

Baltimore's roommate added that Baltimore was too timid to even go to a party by himself, let alone disappear on his own.

Mrs. Baltimore, with sadness in her face, says she can't understand why Henry would want to go away. "He enjoyed school, was a good student, enjoyed being in the band, had a good job in the library, a nice place to live and plenty of friends." she recalled.

Henry could get along with anybody no matter what color or kind of person they were, she said. "I honestly don't know anyone who disliked him."

Lynnie Frank, a friend of Baltimore's who lives in Wonders Hall, agrees with Mrs. Baltimore. "Henry was one of the friendliest people that I've known. He would always say hello and smile to everyone, even if he didn't know them."

Baltimore's friends across the campus are amazed to find out that he disappeared, but none were more surprised than his mother.

"I didn't believe it at first, but it seemed as though I'll have to accept it even though it hurts me." Mrs. Baltimore said.

Yet, she hasn't given up hope and neither has Kelly. "The case is open and if someone out there has any information, I would be glad to check it out," he said.

Kelly said he's aware that many people are unhappy that the case hasn't been solved but there is little he can do without leads.

Leaning back in his chair, Kelly said solemnly, "Many people don't realize that this is a strange case, a strange case indeed."

Source: State News

Student still missing

By Beckie Hanes
The State NewsThe following article was published Friday, June 29, 1973 on page 2. The article can also be seen on microfilm at the MSU Library.

No leads to the whereabouts of Henry Baltimore, missing since June 1, have been received by the Jackson Citizen Patriot as of Thursday. The newspaper offered a $1,000 reward for any tips last Saturday.Baltimore's hometown newspaper in Jackson is offering the reward as part of its secret witness program.

An MSU honor student and drum major in the marching band, Baltimore was the victim and witness in an armed robbery at his apartment March 3. Baltimore wanted to drop charges against Roy L. Davis, 22, of Flint, after his family said Davis threatened Baltimore for testifying against him.Baltimore, however, was forced to testify at Davis' arraignment after a bench warrant was issued for his arrest. He disappeared the day before he was to testify at the pretrial examination.

The Jackson School Board and school administrators furnished the $1,000 for the reward. The newspaper's secret witness program requires that the tipster send information by letter to the paper, Box 90, Jackson, Michigan 49201. The person need not send his name, but is asked to put a six-digit number twice at the bottom of the letter, and to tear off one of the numbers and keep it to identify himself when he claims the reward.If the information leads police to Baltimore, the person can receive his money by contacting the Citizen Patriot managing editor, Tom Riordan, and identifying himself with the number he wrote on the letter. His identity will not be revealed.

Riordan said this is the fourth time in the last two and a half years the program has been used by the Citizen Patriot to help flush out information on local crimes such as bank robberies and arson. Each time, the paper received many tips to send to the police.

"One tip we had probably led to the solution of one of the crimes," Riordan said, "but the person never claimed his money."He stressed that as soon as the newspaper receives a tip it goes to the police in an anonymous fashion, also.

East Lansing Detective James Kelly, who is investigating the Baltimore case, said Thursday the police need all the information they can get.

"We're not getting leads at all," he added.

Source: The State News

Mysterious disappearance
Missing person's case remains open, family searches for closure
By Lindsey Poisson
The State News
Published: August 15, 2006

A 33-year-old question is still waiting to be answered.Henry Louis Baltimore, Jr. went missing without a trace in 1973, and subsequent investigations have not revealed what happened to the former social science and music honor student.

Police found only the MSU marching band drum major's 1968 Buick two days before an armed robbery suspect, who 21-year-old Baltimore had testified against, was scheduled to appear in court.

But in April, the East Lansing Police Department resumed the missing person's case and is attempting to discover what became of him.

On Sunday, Baltimore's family sat together in his brother's house, talking about the case and looking at faded photographs of Baltimore dressed up in uniform leading the MSU band. Old, yellowed articles from newspapers, including The State News, Lansing State Journal and Jackson Citizen Patriot, lay strewn over a coffee table, documenting the chronology of the case throughout the years.

Periodically, family members would shake their heads, not knowing what more to say about Baltimore's disappearance.

Thirty-three years later, and still nothing. His belongings, car keys and Buick were left behind at his apartment, but Baltimore simply vanished.

"Everything was in its place," Baltimore's sister, Lural Baltimore said. "If he was going to run away, why not take his car?" "It's hard for us to believe that he's been away all this time and has not contacted his family."

From the day her brother disappeared, Lural Baltimore said it was difficult to stay informed of everything the police were doing in their investigation. Her family even had to wait 48 hours after the time he disappeared before a missing person's report could be filed.

"I felt enough was not being done to look into the situation and the case," Lural Baltimore said. "It's very hard for me to say they weren't doing what they needed to do because they didn't give you a lot of information on 'this is what they're doing.'"

The case

Every story regarding the events leading up to the MSU student's disappearance is slightly different.

But the fact remains that on March 3, 1973, two men entered Henry Baltimore's 340 Oakhill Ave. apartment and threatened him with a revolver. The men tied Baltimore to his bedsprings, searched his apartment and took about $110 and personal items, such as golf clubs, clothing and a watch. The drum major also was allegedly pistol-whipped during that time.

Police arrested Flint resident Roy L. Davis and charged him in connection with the robbery. To make a case, Baltimore had to testify against Davis in court, and did so during a May 24, 1973, preliminary examination. After his testimony, Davis' case was bound for trial in circuit court.

After Baltimore's testimony, Davis allegedly threatened him. According to witnesses, Davis asked Baltimore not to pursue charges and said, "I should have killed you when I had the chance" and "You are messing with my life. If you testify like you did today, I don't have anything to lose, so I can pull out all the stops." Witnesses also said they saw Davis go to Baltimore's house after he testified and on the day he disappeared.

On May 30, 1973, Lural Baltimore went to get a final exam paper she agreed to type for her brother. His car was outside his apartment and his belongings were inside his apartment, but he was nowhere to be found.Police considered the possibility that he voluntarily went into hiding to avoid testifying again. But after 33 years and no sign of Henry Baltimore, police are now considering homicide as a possibility.

The investigation

East Lansing police Detective Steve Gonzalez said Baltimore is still classified as a missing person because no concrete evidence of a homicide or kidnapping has been found. "The best option would be to find Henry's body because all indications say he's probably dead," Gonzalez said. "He hasn't been seen in 33 years, and there has been no contact with his family for 33 years, and common sense says he was the victim of a homicide."

Now-retired detective Jim Kelly, who was in charge of Baltimore's case in 1973, suspects the drum major was kidnapped and killed."Not having him show up some place, whether alive or dead, is unusual," he said. "Because hunting season was coming up not too far, we were pretty sure his body would turn up somewhere between here and Flint. Pretty disappointing, I guess."

Kelly said the police have dental records for Baltimore, which will help police pursue leads. But the emergence of DNA technology, which was unavailable in 1973, might make a difference, he said.Gonzalez said Baltimore's family members' DNA has already been collected to create a DNA profile of Baltimore, which was entered into a national missing persons database. If there is an unknown individual or remains, DNA can be compared with the database, and there is the possibility of a match, he said.Gonzalez said he works on the case whenever more recent caseloads for the department are low. Ideally, police would like to find Baltimore. Gonzalez said his goal is to at least update the case, and he is following new leads. The last report regarding Baltimore was filed in 1980, he said.

Looking for answers

The oldest male out of eight siblings, Baltimore was active in the Jackson and MSU communities and devoted to the MSU Marching Band, Lural Baltimore said."As a student, he loved MSU because he loved the band," she said. "He was absolutely ecstatic and did what he could."

Henry Baltimore's mother, Doris Baltimore, said she remembers her son as the young paper delivery boy and Cub Scout who "just got along with everybody."

Before the armed robbery and court proceedings involving Davis, it seemed he had no enemies, Lural Baltimore said.

The family is following up whenever they can, especially when articles are written about the case, she said."We haven't had any closure," Lural Baltimore said.

"Anything anyone does keeps it out there so it doesn't get lost."

Source:

The State News, Michigan State University

MSU drum major disappears
By Jim Bush
The State News

(The following article was origionally published Wednesday, June 20, 1973, on page 5. The article can also be seen on microfilm at the Michigan State University Main Library.)

Henry Baltimore, a drum major for the MSU marching band, is missing following his testimony against the man accused of robbing him at gunpoint last March.

Baltimore, Jackson junior, was reported missing from his Oakhill Avenue apartment by his parents on May 31, East Lansing police announced last week.

His sister, Lural Baltimore, a graduate student at MSU, said she fears Baltimore was kidnapped. She said Roy Davis, who is charged in the March 3 robbery, visited her brother shortly after Baltimore testified at Davis' preliminary exam and allegedly told him "I should have killed you when I had the chance."

Baltimore indicated at the preliminary exam that Davis was one of two men who came to his room at noon on March 3, tied him to his bedsprings and robbed him at gunpoint of $110 and several personal items.

East Lansing Detective Sgt. Dean Tucker would not confirm the threat and said he has no indication that Baltimore was abducted.

"I have no control over what Baltimore's friends and relatives say, and I cannot verify it," Tucker said.

However, East Lansing Detective Jim Kelly Monday said police are not ruling out the possibility that Baltimore was abducted. He said police have not yet uncovered any firm leads as to Baltimore's whereabouts.

Paul Lott, one of Baltimore's three roommates at 340 Oakhill Ave. said he had not heard from Baltimore since May 30. He said that he and Baltimore were close enough friends that, had Baltimore voluntarily gone into hiding, he would have found out about it.

"I think Henry's being missing has something to do with Roy Davis," Lott, Flint sophomore, said. "I think he was kidnapped. If he was hiding, he'd let us know — he would've taken his car."

Baltimore's car, a 1968 Buick, remained in its apartment parking space until Baltimore's father picked it up last week.

Baltimore's sister echoed Lott's remarks.

"When I went to Henry's apartment the day after he was last seen, I saw his car in the parking lot and his books strewn about the floor," she said. "We're close enough that I know he rarely goes anywhere without his car."

However, police are considering the possibility that Baltimore has voluntarily gone into hiding to avoid testifying at Davis' trial. Baltimore failed to appear at an original preliminary exam for Davis early in May, Kelly said. He said a bench warrant was issued for Baltimore's arrest and Baltimore was fined $50 for failing to appear. Baltimore then proceeded to testify at a newly scheduled preliminary exam on May 24.

Lott said that the stolen goods had been returned to Baltimore in return for a promise that Baltimore would not testify at Davis' preliminary exam, which would then have caused the case against Davis to be dismissed.

Kelly said Baltimore may have thought he would be required to testify at Davis' arraignment in Ingham County Circuit Court on June 1. He may have voluntarily gone into hiding to avoid testifying at the arraignment, Kelly theorized.

It was later, on May 24, that the alleged threat against Baltimore's life was made. And it was six days after that when Baltimore was last seen by Lott as Baltimore, a social science major and honor student, returned from a morning class.

One hour later, at 11:30 a.m. a neighbor of Baltimore reportedly saw two men knock at Baltimore's door. Lott said no one else was home at the time.

Kelly said that anyone with any information of Baltimore's whereabouts should call East Lansing police at 351-4220.

Re-printed in the State News on Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Is Henry's DNA in CODIS? Richard, if not, and you know the family...we could get this arranged free of charge. If Henry's remains are somewhere UID, this could possibly cause a match.

Is Henry's DNA in CODIS? Richard, if not, and you know the family...we could get this arranged free of charge. If Henry's remains are somewhere UID, this could possibly cause a match.

Henry's family lives in Jackson, Michigan. They are actively involved in keeping his story and case alive. I am not sure if they have put DNA on file, but would hope so.

Marching Band season (aka football season) has started again. Henry is still missing. Bumping case up...

There have been two recent news articles on Henry's disappearance by Leanne Smith of Jackson, Michigan's Citizen Patriot. I will provide excerpts and links to them.

It has now been 37 years since Henry's disappearance. His family still seeks answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back