GUILTY MI - Jane Bashara, 56, dies in contract killing, Grosse Pointe Park, 25 Jan 2012 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 3m3 minutes ago  Detroit, MI
Judge is back for #bobbashara trial. Attorneys are dealing with some sidebar issue w judge...unsure what.

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 16s17 seconds ago  Detroit, MI
Asst. Pros. Moran asked if they can play only the portion of the upcoming audio that's relevant to the case. Defense objected. Judge agreed

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 20s21 seconds ago  Detroit, MI
Judge: "Fairness dictates we play the whole thing."

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 2m2 minutes ago  Detroit, MI
Steve Tibaudo again on the stand. He said the FBI gave him a better recorder than the one state police gave him.

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 51s52 seconds ago  Detroit, MI
Moran said the first 29-30 pages of audio recorded on June 25, 2012 has nothing to do with this case. But judge insisted on playing it all.

marie osborne ‏@marieosbornewwj · 2m2 minutes ago
Back on the record #bobbashara Steven Tibaudo. Jury will hear 1hr. secretly recorded conversation between the 2 men 6/2012@WWJ950

Elisha Anderson ‏@elishaanderson · 51s51 seconds ago
FBI gave Tibaudo a recording device and Tibaudo recorded conversation on June 22, 2012.

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 1m1 minute ago  Detroit, MI
Prosecutors were right - so far, this audio consists of loud crackles, Tibaudo grunting, wheezing and cussing, and calling his dog.

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 30s30 seconds ago  Detroit, MI
During the lunch break, reporters asked prosecutors if they had pix of the dog, Mr. Doodles, whose nickname is Scrappy. Alas, no pix.

((Amy Lange FOX2 Reporter))

We are going to listen to a recording - prosecution had asked to only listen to the part that pertains to this testimony but judge says we're going to listen to the whole thing.

This is a conversation on June 22, 2012 - remember Steve Tibaudo has testified that Bob was trying to get him to make arrangements to have Joe Gentz killed.

On this date, Steve is wearing a recording device and meeting with Bob outside his store - Steve's Furniture.
Steve is wearing the wire and talking to the FBI agent before the meeting with Bob - just talking about various topics.
FBI telling him to just record whatever he gets.

Lots of commotion - the meeting hasn't happened yet - Steve is just wearing the wire - you can hear him yelling to the dog, "Come on Scrappy! Let's go!"

"Hey Eddie - give the dog some treats there - the ones that look like chicken strips" (apparently he is referring to his other dog - not Scrappy. None of this recording is relevant - again - the prosecution just wanted to play part of it but the defense objected and the judge ruled that we would listen to the whole thing. I think now we are listening to Steve Tibaudo driving his car)

This is kind of crazy - we really are just listening to Steve drive his car and talk on the phone about the fact that he was having some health problems - poor guy. He has Scrappy with him (in the audio) - for those of you who were wondering :)

((by Gina Damron FREEP REPORTER))

Good afternoon, everyone. Tibaudo back on the stand.
The entire recording will be played now.

This is the recording from a conversation Tibaudo and Bashara had on June 22, 2012.
The first part of this recording is Tibaudo talking with an FBI special agent.
The audio is difficult to hear. Judge Evans asked if a microphone could be used and said to take the one from the witness stand.
"I'll let you use it," Tibaudo said, eliciting some laughs.

So far, the recording has been Tibaudo talking to other people, including an FBI special agent.
The prosecution didn't want to play the entire recording, but Judge Evans decided the whole thing would be played.
In the audio, Tibaudo can be heard calling after his dog, Scrappy. Judge Evans asked him what kind of dog it was. He said a terrier.
The conversations caught on the audio so far have been between Tibaudo and other people.
In the audio, Tibaudo is talking to someone about his health issues.

One juror is sitting with his head cradled in his hand...........

Back on the record #bobbashara Steven Tibaudo. Jury will hear 1hr. secretly recorded conversation between the 2 men 6/2012@WWJ950

Elisha Anderson ‏@elishaanderson · 51s51 seconds ago
FBI gave Tibaudo a recording device and Tibaudo recorded conversation on June 22, 2012.

Prosecutors amplified this audio...lots of scratchy noises that are making everyone cringe.

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 58s59 seconds ago  Detroit, MI
A source told me Jane's mother and sister were in the courthouse, set to testify. But this lengthy audio may prevent that.

Elisha Anderson ‏@elishaanderson · 38s39 seconds ago
Lots of stuff on this audio that doesn't appear to relate to case: Tibaudo having conversations people on phone about his health.

The #bobbashara trial has seen some riveting, lurid testimony. Now, we're listening to details about Steve Tibaudo's gall bladder problems.

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 51s51 seconds ago  Detroit, MI
I think I just heard audio of Tibaudo passing gas while coughing and driving in his car.

Elisha Anderson ‏@elishaanderson · 40s40 seconds ago
He testified earlier he had stomach issues in 2012 and was hospitalized. Several conversations mentioning his dog he calls "Scrappy" played.

Elisha Anderson ‏@elishaanderson · 18s19 seconds ago
Audio has been playing for 20 plus minutes. It's just mostly silence right now or unrelated phone conversations.

Elisha Anderson ‏@elishaanderson · 2m2 minutes ago
Prosecutors had not planned to play this all, but judge ruled they had to when it was requested by defense.

This is so bizarre that we are sitting her listening to all this dead air and all of these phone calls and Steve hollering for Mr. Doodles
and none of it has anything to do with the testimony the jurors need to hear. Sorry folks - we'll pick back up here in a few - I hope.

Steve Tibaudo is on another phone call telling someone about his gallbladder disease. He truly is one of the most colorful characters in this
trial - so far we've heard his phone calls, him singing Day-O which had at least one juror in stitches, him harping at Scrappy to stop licking him.
Add in the constant cussing, and you've got a character straight from central casting. On the phone referring to what he's doing with the
Bashara investigation but not naming names: "You'll find out how funny this all is when I explain it to you in a couple months."

Steve just sang "Daylight come and me wanna go home."
Several jurors look like they're having as difficult time as I am suppressing giggles

Tibaudo audio of him driving to meet #bobbashara Def. argued Pros. had to play whole tape. Last 25min.full of coughing,singing,cursing@WWJ950

Many jurors and Tibaudo just cracked smiles. Random audio from his drive to Romeo in 2012 played and he started singing Day O.

Hank Winchester ‏@HankLocal4 · 1m1 minute ago
@GeorgeHunter_DN I know more about Steve's health than my own at this point.

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 3m3 minutes ago
@HankLocal4 I'm trying my best! I know this is a serious matter...but...

Hank Winchester ‏@HankLocal4 · 3m3 minutes ago
@GeorgeHunter_DN totally has the church giggles. What were hearing right now is pointless but entertaining

Elisha Anderson ‏@elishaanderson · 18s19 seconds ago
Tibaudo talking to friend: you’re going to laugh so hard you’re gonna bust a nut. Will explain it all in a couple of months, he said.

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 36s37 seconds ago  Detroit, MI
Okay, I can confirm that at least 3 jurors are trying not to laugh at this audio.

Mandi Wright ‏@DetroitMandi · 10s11 seconds ago
Steven Tibaudo laughs on the witness stand after audio is heard of him singing 'The Banana Boat Song' #bobbashara

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0-VtiPCAAAdnh4.jpg

Many of the jurors laughed at that. We're nearing an hour that this audio has been playing, still haven't gotten to relevant part yet.

Steve talking conspiracy theory during a phone call: "You don't know who's really running Wall Street do you? It's Disney and Mickey Mouse."

Hank Winchester ‏@HankLocal4 · 3m3 minutes ago
After listening to this testimony today I feel like I need a shower, a health check up & some quality time w my dog. #bobbashara

Amy Lange ‏@langeamyFOX2 · 2m2 minutes ago
@HankLocal4 I am going to have to leave the courtroom I am laughing so hard, Hank...

One line during Steve's phone call cracked several people up: "You're gonna laugh so hard, you'll bust a nut."

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 48s48 seconds ago  Detroit, MI
During all this, #bobbashara is sitting up straight, hands folded. Every now and then, he'll scan the jurors' faces.

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 22s23 seconds ago  Detroit, MI
This audio is at 53 minutes and counting.

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 44s44 seconds ago  Detroit, MI
Okay, the audio has been stopped, and attorneys approaching the bench.

Elisha Anderson ‏@elishaanderson · 49s50 seconds ago
Judge just broke over the static to ask how much longer. 7 minutes, prosecutors said.

10 minute break called.

Judge - how much longer is this tape?
Rob Moran - seven minutes
Lisa Lindsey - may we approach Judge?
Judge - Seven minutes!
LL - May we approach judge?
Judge - ok
Juror #16 - laughter

((Amy Lange: I think everyone is a little incredulous that we've just spent all this time listening to Steve Tibaudo drive around
and talk on the phone. Ten minute recess))

After jury left, Bob's attorney, Lillian Diallo, said the file she wanted played wasn't what was just aired.

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 22s22 seconds ago  Detroit, MI
Judge: "This was a complete waste of time..."

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · 22s23 seconds ago  Detroit, MI
"...to have these jurors subjected to listening to this man talk on the cell phone and complain about his health."

((Amy Lange: I think everyone is a little incredulous that we've just spent all this time listening to Steve Tibaudo drive around
and talk on the phone. Ten minute recess))

Judge - this was a complete waste of time to have the jurors listen to this man on the phone complaining about his health
Judge says - we have lost a substantial amount of time and it's not going to happen again.
It appears that prosecution wanted to listen to one thing- defense thought it was something else - so now she wants both sides to
be on the same page moving forward
There is a 45 minute conversation between Steve Tibaudo and the defendant that the Prosecution wants to play for the jury
Judge says we are jumping straight to the conversation between the defendant and Steve Tibaudo

Judge is annoyed - we are not going to let this happen again. Bring the jury back in.

George Hunter ‏@GeorgeHunter_DN · Detroit, MI
After jury left, Bob's attorney, Lillian Diallo, said the file she wanted played wasn't what was just aired.

Judge: "This was a complete waste of time..."

"...to have these jurors subjected to listening to this man talk on the cell phone and complain about his health."

Hank Winchester ‏@HankLocal4 · Detroit, MI
"This was a complete waste of time listening to this man drive around & complain about his health" Pros says defense wanted ENTIRE tape

Asst. Pros. Moran said there's "7 more minutes of nothing."

Defense saying not true & believes this was ploy by pros. I can tell you it was a TOTAL waste of time!!

Elisha Anderson ‏@elishaanderson · Detroit, MI
Judge Vonda Evans: This was a "complete waste of time" having jurors subjected to this. They are jumping to relevant part now, she ruled.

Judge: "Did you make a transcript of him talking about his bile?" Steve talked about his gall bladder issues in excruciating detail.

Rather than take a recess while going over what audio will be played, judge is excusing Steve till Wednesday. Jumping to another witness.

This will give defense almost 48 hours to go over transcripts. Judge ordered that only snippets of audio that are pertinent will be allowed

Judge says she is going to have them call back Steve Tibaudo on Wednesday for transcript purposes since there have been issues.
Judge - now we lost an hour here today.
She's giving everyone enough time to review the transcript. From here on out only the snippets that are relevant will be admitted.

Judge wants them to call another witness

They just brought in a man as the next witness and then told him they don't need him today - now the jurors are leaving the courtroom again - seriously - I couldn't make this up if I tried.

Amy Lange: They just brought in a man as the next witness and then told him they don't need him today - now the jurors are leaving the courtroom again - seriously - I couldn't make this up if I tried

Judge tells Mr. Lee - the witness - that he can't be coming in here after he's had some drinks. She says she can smell it. He denies he was drinking and does not sound like he's slurring.

It's been determined he was telling the truth and it was the hand sanitizer that the judge smelled.

((Gina Damron - FREEP Reporter))

The jury was brought back in and a new witness has been brought in.

Actually, stand by ...
The jury was sent back to the jury room.
Evans is talking to the witness they were going to call and said she can smell alcohol on him. He said he didn't drink.
"I promise you I did not drink," the man said.
Now the judge says the man had actually just used hand sanitizer.

This will give defense almost 48 hours to go over transcripts. Judge ordered that only snippets of audio that are pertinent will be allowed

Defense said they didn't have copy of entire transcript. Prosecution said it was given to them. Tibaudo to return Wednesday.

Judge: "Let's call another witness. This is not more audio, is it?"
Several people chuckled.
Thankfully, there's no audio for this witness

That will give defense time to review entire transcripts.

An elderly witness with a graying beard was brought in. Then, the judge said, "We don't need you today, sir." Now, jury leaving again.

Okay, now that man is back. Judge: "Mr. Lee: You can not be coming in here after you've been having drinks. I smell it on you."

Not sure what is going on. Jury brought out then witness brought out. Judge told witness he wasn't needed today.

Mr. Lee: "I promise you, I did not drink."
Judge: "Someone's been drinking wearing that outfit."
He was excused, and smelled his arm.

Then, judge said: "Oh, that hand sanitizer."
Bizarre.

Man brought back in, judge told him he smelled like alcohol, but man said he didn't drink. (It may have been hand sanitizer she smelled).

Okay, now we're serious. Jane's mom, Lorraine Engelbrecht, is on the stand

Jane's mother Lorraine Engelbrecht now on stand now. This is her first time testifying in court. #bobbashara @Local4News

Lorraine said she knew Bob for 30 years.

Lorraine having a difficult time understanding a question about when she found out Jane was killed.

Judge: "The court does note that the witness is in later years. I'm going to allow you to lead the witness."

Lorraine was in Chattanooga with Jane's sister, Julie Rowe, when she got the bad news. They immediately headed back to Michigan.

On Jan. 28, Bob "said I hadn't been over there to give him a hug." She came over the next day.

Bob said, "that Jane had lost her diamond (wedding ring.)"

She was in Tennessee with another daughter when Bob Bashara called on Jan. 25, 2012 and told her I don't know what happened to Jane.

“We left as soon as possible,” Engelbrecht said. They arrived Jan. 26.

Bob returned 15-20 minutes later. "He had Jane's ring. (He said) 'I found it in the bedroom behind the flower pot.'"

Lorraine said that was odd. "The flower pot was way over (from Jane's nightstand)."

At Jane's memorial service, Bob didn't talk to her. When asked if she thought that odd, Lorraine said, "some."

On day of funeral, Bob Bashara never talked to Lorraine Engelbrecht, she testified.

Next witness is Lorraine Engelbrecht - this is Jane Bashara's mother
Jane was my daughter
She says she knew the defendant for 30 years
She babysat their children for ten years

Jane was gone about 12 hours a day - left at 6 and got home at 6 - Lorraine arrived at 8am - defendant was still there - he would leave around 11am and arrived home around 4 and Lorraine would leave

How did she find out about her daughter? January 25th, 2012- she receives a call from the defendant - Bob said - I don't know what happened to your daughter. That was the first time she found out something had happened. She was in Chattanooga TN with Jane's sister Julie Rowe when they got the news. They arrived on the 26th of January

She talked to Bob - he told her she hadn't been over to give him a hug.

She goes over on the 29th and there is a discussion about Jane's diamond wedding ring missing.
Bob left - he came back - after 15 or 20 minutes later and he had Jane's ring.
He said - I found it in the bedroom behind the flower pot - look what I found, he said
Lorraine thought that was odd because Jane's nightstand was on the opposite side of the room from the flower pot.

The 31st was Jane's memorial service - there was no conversation with Bob - she thought it was odd there was no conversation with Bob the day of her daughter's funeral. Bob didn't call after to check on her.

Then a lot of stuff was coming out in the media - a family member - Jane's brother, Mark - was critical of Bob in the media - and that's when Bob called. Bob called and told her to put a muzzle on Mark. She said how do you expect me to do that? Because Mark never liked you anyway.

At some point a white car pulled up to her driveway - Lorraine was in her garage - Bob got out of the car - she had not heard from him since that phone call - she said - What are you doing here? And he said - I have some papers for you - he laid them on the ledge and said he wouldn't bother her - she said - please don't. And he left. He never called to try to explain all the stuff in the media.

Then she saw a Dateline interview - and was shocked and she called Bob because on Dateline he said they had an open marriage and that upset her - she said please don't bring Jane down to your level - YOU had an open marriage - Jane didn't
Bob said she didn't know her daughter and Lorraine said - you didn't know her. Bob said Jane told him to go do whatever he wants as long as it makes him happy. He harshly told her that Jane smoked pot.

He said his lawyer told him to say those things on Dateline

Lorraine is 82 and seems to be having trouble understanding some of what the prosecution is asking.
Bob apologized for saying those things about the open marriage - he said his lawyer told him to say those things

On day of funeral, Bob Bashara never talked to Lorraine Engelbrecht, she testified.

Lorraine said a relative named Mark gave a media interview critical of Bob, who hadn't called her until then.

“(Bob) said, I have to put a muzzle on Mark. I said, ‘how do you expect me to do that, because Mark never liked you anyway.’”

He didn't call her after it, but called her after her son gave a media interview critical of him.

Bashara told Jane Bashara's mom to put a "muzzle" on her said. She asked how she was suppose to do that b/c he never liked Bob Bashara.

After Dateline interview where it was said the Basharas had an open marriage, Engelbrecht called her son-in-law.

“On Dateline, (Bob) said they had an open marriage. That upset me. So I called him, and I said, ‘please don’t bring Jane down to your level"

Bob said to Jane's mom "You don't really know your daughter she smoked pot." #bobbashara @Local4News

Lorraine: "(Bob) said that I didn’t know my daughter. I said, ‘you didn’t know her,’ and he said..."

"Do you know what Jane told me? I can go out and do anything I want, as long as it makes me happy.”

"Please don’t bring Jane down to your level," she told him.

Bob also told Jane's mom after she died that she smoked pot. Lorraine he said this "kind of harshly."

Bob Bashara told him she didn't know her daughter. She responded "You didn’t know her.”

Bob apologized to Lorraine about what he'd said on Dateline, and said his attorney had told him to say that.

Lorraine asked Bob about Venita, the woman who lived in Bob's dungeon, and went to church with the family.

"He said he was helping her because she needed a church."

Lorraine asked Bob about having slaves.

"I said, 'when Jane said that he could go out and do anything he wanted...I said, 'oh, so she allowed slaves and dungeons.'"

"He said, 'oh, she didn't know anything about that.'"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members