MI MI - Janette Roberson, 27, Reed City, 19 Jan 1983

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by angelj, Jul 5, 2013.

1. PerhapsIt'sYou

PerhapsIt'sYou Active Member

I cant speak for the sister

But...I feel like the husband had plenty of access to janette so if he wanted to kill her why would he choose to do it at the store during business hours? Sounds way too risky.

I still think one of the 2 brothers who ran the store would be the prime suspect

Ibiz and dotr like this.

2. Ibiz

Ibiz Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

So the downstairs was a pet store. What was the upstairs?

dotr likes this.
  3. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Sept 17 2019 includes some pics of the basement and maps.
    UNSOLVED MICHIGAN CRIME: The 1983 Murder of Janette Roberson
    "Her sister Lana was quoted as saying, “I believe someone was infatuated with her -- had a crush on her. My sister was very friendly and naïve, really. Whoever did this could have gone there to make a move and she rejected this person, and boom. That was all it took…..Someone out there knows something. They need to finally come forward. The scary thing is the person who did this is out there somewhere. That’s terrifying, because Janette was killed in a horrible way. What’s stopping this person from doing it again? We need to get them off the streets.”

There is a Facebook page dedicated to solving this crime that you can check out here. Every year on the anniversary of Janette’s death, walks to the crime scene are organized in hopes of someone coming forward with legitimate tips on the case.
    You can find out more about the annual walks HERE."

Read More: UNSOLVED MICHIGAN CRIME: The 1983 Murder of Janette Roberson | UNSOLVED MICHIGAN CRIME: The 1983 Murder of Janette Roberson

MerBeach and Ibiz like this.
  4. Ozoner

Ozoner True Crime Junkie Getting My Fix

I'm not convinced that the sister's theory is correct. If someone had been infatuated with Janette, it seems like people around her would have been able to suggest that person as a possible suspect—not that I have a better theory.

Ibiz and dotr like this.
  5. Ibiz

Ibiz Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

What about the woman he was said to be having an affair with? I've read no mention of her..

Why?

I'm assuming this Gambles was similar to the old Kresge stores like we had down in Detroit many years ago. They basically sold a little bit of everything and even had a little pet department with gold fish, parakeets, hamsters, and so on.

Assuming Janet's murderer would have had to of walked through the upper floor of the store to get to the basement and commit the murder, and then walk back through the upper floor to leave the store; it seems unreasonable that nobody seen him/her. According to one of the above news articles: the guy (now retired) who was the Reed City police chief at the time is quoted as saying that who ever murdered Janet was filled with a great deal of anger and rage.

So I guess I would have to agree that her sister's theory that it was someone who had an infatuation with her is incorrect.

graceless, Ozoner and dotr like this.
  6. PerhapsIt'sYou

My understanding is Janette's husband was having a relationship with the kid's babysitter. Classy, I know. But I do believe he has been cleared.

Janette was reportedly having some sort of relationship with a high school student. It is not known if that relationship was sexual, however. My understanding is that the HS student was probably still at school at the time of the murder, so he isn't or wasn't a suspect.

Why do I think one of the two brothers that ran the store should be the top suspect(s)? Simply because of access. And they would have known (better than a customer) how to leave the store without being detected.

Here is a scenario...just a theory....let's say one of the brothers was making sexual overtures towards Janette...maybe even had a relationship with her. Then one day Janette says something like 'im going to tell your wife' He snaps and kills her in a fit of rage.

sounds plausible to me. Perhaps there were even clothes in the backroom that the brothers would have known about that they changed into in order not to leave the store in bloody clothes.

just a theory...

DianeElaine, MerBeach, Ozoner and 2 others like this.
  7. PerhapsIt'sYou

I should make perfectly clear that as far as I know no hard evidence links either of the brothers to the murder. It is likely they have been investigated and cleared by the police.

dotr likes this.
  8. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

JANETTE ROBERSON – 1983 HOMICIDE – REED CITY
    [​IMG]

Case Information

Name: Janette Roberson
    Date: January 19, 1983

27 year old Janette Roberson was brutally murdered in Reed City, Michigan on January 19, 1983.

The incident took place between 1 and 4 p.m. in the basement of Gambles store, now Reed City Hardware. Janette was working in the pet department of the store when she was severely beaten and sexually assaulted.

Other employees and customers were upstairs at the time, but no witnesses have come forward.

Janette, her husband and their two young children had moved to the small town of Reed City about eight months prior her death.

How to Submit a Tip
    If you have any information in Janette Roberson’s case please contact the Michigan State Police at (989) 773-5951 or Reed City Police Chief Chuck Davis at (231) 832-3743.

Tips can also be submitted to the Crime Stoppers tip line at 1-800-SPEAKUP.

In The News/Media
    Brutal Murder of Young Michigan Mother Janette Roberson Still Haunts Small Town – NBC News
    Cold Case: The Janette Roberson Story Part 1 – 9&10 News
    Cold Case: The Janette Roberson Story Part 2 – 9&10 News
    Walk Planned to Help Bring Unsolved Murder Case Back to Life – Up North Live
    Mysteries of Northern Michigan: Janette Roberson Murder – 9&10 News
    Family & Friends Still Seeking Answers in Murder of Janette Roberson – Pioneer
    Family of Reed City Cold Case Murder Victim Still Seeks ‘Justice for Janette’ – 9&10 News
    “Justice For Janette” Participants Seek Answers in Cold Case Murder – 9&10 News
    Reed City to Release Records in Murder Case for the First Time – Cadillac News
    News Articles on Janette’s Case – Jeni Decker
    Podcast About Janette’s Case – Already Gone
    Janette Roberson - 1983 Homicide - Reed City - Michigan Cold Cases

dotr likes this.
  9. morf13

morf13 Ver. Insider Golden State Killer & Zodiac Killer

StarrChance and dotr like this.
  10. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Intriguing podcast, thanks for posting.
    Not that i think this is likely, but thinking of Janette's young children, her J Witness religious association and her interest in cars am reminded of one of FBI's most wanted persons and his interest in cars, JW and children...
    Not suggesting it is him, but perhaps someone like him..fwiw, imo, speculation.
    U.S. Marshals Service, 15 Most Wanted, Frederick McLEAN, Case Overview
    CA - Frederick Cecil McLean, Pedophile, armed and dangerous

11. Moonwalker9

Moonwalker9 Well-Known Member

Don't know if this was already posted but its from another podcast Who Killed Janette Roberson? • Morbidology

I think this case will be solved with genealogy since there is DNA and the suspect was not in the crime registry before. I wonder if he's still alive after 37 years.

dotr likes this.
  12. Beniceorleave

Beniceorleave New Member

This tragic murder took place 3 blocks from my childhood home. One block north and two blocks south. I was in school the day it happened. The Gambles store was (and still is) six or seven blocks to the north from the high school. I’ve never heard any talk of her having a relationship with a high school boy or girl. Also, there are (or were) tunnels connecting each of the buildings in the “downtown” area providing accessibility to downtown buildings for anyone aware of the them. There are a great deal of “secret lifestyles” under the surface in this community now as there were then.
    I believe this horrible murder of Janette is the culmination of some of those secrets.

13. Beniceorleave

Beniceorleave New Member

Pardon my mistake, one block north, two blocks east from my house.

14. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Well-Known Member

Somebody knows something, has a tip, or saw something that could help solve the crime, said Roberson’s sister Lana Jarvie.

“If you were ... in town the day she died and if you were down in the basement the day she died, and you saw something, whether you thought you saw something or not, you need to step forward and tell somebody,‘ Jarvie said. “If your uncle’s cousin’s brother’s son told you they did this, turn them in.‘
    Walk set for Saturday to call attention to cold case murder

CastlesBurning likes this.