MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM...Did the chief actually say this, or are you inferring this from something else he said? I haven't seen any report that says he thinks they have enough evidence to catch this guy. I actually infer from what I have read that theiy still don't know who he is, and are still not even sure what he was driving. He did say today that they are working on some high priority tips, which got my hopes up, but then he almost immediately said something to the effect of "we're not sure if they are true or not", which pretty much dashed my hopes. Whatever these 'high-priority' tips were, I don't get the sense that they are instant case-breakers. JMO
I couldn"t find the article I read today bymsm reporting on what the chief said but will try to give you the sense of it. He felt that within all the information that had been gathered it would be possible to find the abductor and the silver van. He implied if he didn"t do it locally it would be done by the task force. He no longer was saying silver or grey vAN he was saying silver van. He does not have a location or person of interest

LE needs to consider that the van was not involved at all.

Well...they said they were positive it is involved. Hope not just from witness statements, though I can't imagine another way they can be so sure.

Has the Exxon re-opened? Why no dumpster there? Was the dumpster taken as part of the investigation?

I REALLY thought they would have this perp by now. This kind of crime is somewhat unheard of in that part of the state (notwithstanding Grand Rapids proper). It's sort of sleepy, small town America. That is why I honestly thought they would find him fast, that people would be turning this guy in! Makes me think the sketch is not accurate. Which reminds me, what did LE mean when they stated that the sketch was a 10 out of 10? That it was a dead ringer for him? If that is the case, then they must know who he is......

Believe it or not, the Exxon opened the morning after Jessica disappeared. It blew my mind that he reopened so quickly.

I thought LE took the dumpster at first too, but we are talking over 3 weeks now. He surely would have gotten a new one by now if he ever had one of his own. The Exxon and the carwash are probably both owned by the same guy, or they have some sharing situation worked out.

I cannot remember the gas station closing at all.....

I believe the owner does also own the car wash. I know when you purchase gas there you can get add on a car wash for "$x" dollars.....you may get some $ off per gallon as well but I cannot be sure.

Some thoughts I want to share, some in response to posts others just in response to this case.....

This is a small town and we have a hard time accepting "bad" could happen here.... The last abduction I remember that was not a custody battle type of case was Andre Bosse. Her abductor/murder has been charged and in jail for almost 10 years at this point.

I think for those who have never lived in a small town it is so hard to understand why one may do things in a particular way- such as the cash drawer, but when you recognize almost every customer to your store, it makes you have a false sense of security.... Maybe Jessica went to take the drawer out to count it, realized she wanted a cigarette prior to closing and cleaning, didn't even think about taking the drawer out, thought that she would see headlights if someone pulled in she could get back inside before the would..... May not be the best decision but it may be a small town, take for granted- nothing happens here type of decision.

Small town = lots of talk, for every rumor there may be some truth. There is a lot of talk in this town..... Cannot post about it directly on here based on rules. Ultimately I feel like the town wants decisions, answers, and ultimately want Jessica home safe.

Some thoughts I want to share, some in response to posts others just in response to this case.....

This is a small town and we have a hard time accepting "bad" could happen here.... The last abduction I remember that was not a custody battle type of case was Andre Bosse. Her abductor/murder has been charged and in jail for almost 10 years at this point.

I think for those who have never lived in a small town it is so hard to understand why one may do things in a particular way- such as the cash drawer, but when you recognize almost every customer to your store, it makes you have a false sense of security.... Maybe Jessica went to take the drawer out to count it, realized she wanted a cigarette prior to closing and cleaning, didn't even think about taking the drawer out, thought that she would see headlights if someone pulled in she could get back inside before the would..... May not be the best decision but it may be a small town, take for granted- nothing happens here type of decision.

Small town = lots of talk, for every rumor there may be some truth. There is a lot of talk in this town..... Cannot post about it directly on here based on rules. Ultimately I feel like the town wants decisions, answers, and ultimately want Jessica home safe.

That was horrible. I was living in Holton at the time, not far from Lakewood Club where it happened. I felt so awful for Andre's parents. That case really did sicken us all. He took her right out of her own home.

On another note, I am really surprised how little speculation I am hearing locally. There really isn't much information out there, and I feel like I know way more than most locals just because I am active here. This PD had not been good about getting the word out...for example, do they not know the exact make, model and year of the van yet? Really?

That was horrible. I was living in Holton at the time, not far from Lakewood Club where it happened. I felt so awful for Andre's parents. That case really did sicken us all. He took her right out of her own home.

On another note, I am really surprised how little speculation I am hearing locally. There really isn't much information out there, and I feel like I know way more than most locals just because I am active here. This PD had not been good about getting the word out...for example, do they not know the exact make, model and year of the van yet? Really?

I don't remember the Andre Bosse case, but how scary! I was born and raised in Northern Michigan, near Petoskey. Lived there for 36 years before coming to Mississippi in 2011. You are right, this type of crime is pretty much unheard of in that part of the country.

Reference post 948 about the van..... I do think the sketch cannot be a "10 out of 10" if no one has come forward on it.

By 10 out of 10, I wonder if NSPD is saying that the witness considers the sketch a 10 out of 10. They had to bring in 2 sketch artists because the first wasn't coming up with a sketch NSPD felt they could release. It all comes back to this witness. Witness identification can be unreliable by nature.

Add that it was dark outside and the van was moving past the witness...shadows and such might distort what someone sees.

Then add that the witness did not come forward until the next day, so possibly her memory is not as fresh as if she had given the description that night.

Now add the fact that nobody has turned in this person based on the sketch.

You have to wonder how reliable it is.

By 10 out of 10, I wonder if NSPD is saying that the witness considers the sketch a 10 out of 10. They had to bring in 2 sketch artists because the first wasn't coming up with a sketch NSPD felt they could release. It all comes back to this witness. Witness identification can be unreliable by nature.

Add that it was dark outside and the van was moving past the witness...shadows and such might distort what someone sees.

Then add that the witness did not come forward until the next day, so possibly her memory is not as fresh as if she had given the description that night.

Wasn't the witness also across the street from the Exxon station in the parking lot of the music store?

- 11:00 at night with limited lighting
- across the street from the Exxon station
- van is moving
- witness doesn't report incident until following day

I, too, wonder how reliable the witness report can be. :moo:

I agree with you 100% on the sketch not being reliable, even if we're to try to describe a cashier at a grocery store I do not think I could, especially the next day. I understand circumstances would be different but I also think it would be a hard task.

I would think the van would be correct since no one has said "oh wait that was me" I have tried to think that maybe it was something not following media coverage which seems very slim, then realizing the time the van was traveling most likely would have been someone "younger" who would have a social media site or following the case (without being biased sometimes senior citizens have vans- who may not be as "up"on the coverage.... Again just a biased opinion I have been thinking about.

Wasn't the witness also across the street from the Exxon station in the parking lot of the music store?

- 11:00 at night with limited lighting
- across the street from the Exxon station
- van is moving
- witness doesn't report incident until following day

I, too, wonder how reliable the witness report can be. :moo:

They were in the guitar store parking lot, but it isn't across the street. The parking lots are connected, and there is a little road that runs to the side of the strip mall from Exxon to Grand Haven Rd. I haven't seen this stated, but I believe the van probably took that little interior road from Exxon to Grand Haven Rd and would have driven right by the guitar store. If the witness was parked near that little road, they could have gotten a look at the guy. And there are lights that light the area, but I don't know how well you could see someone at night who is inside of a van unless the van had its interior lights on. That seems unlikely.

On another note, if in fact the van took that little interior road out onto Grand Haven Rd rather than pulling out of the Exxon onto Sternberg and then turning onto Grand Haven Rd, to me that points to either someone local or pretty familiar with the area.

If the van did not take the interior road, I cannot imagine the witness would have been able to describe him at all. It's too far away, especially at night.

I agree with you 100% on the sketch not being reliable, even if we're to try to describe a cashier at a grocery store I do not think I could, especially the next day. I understand circumstances would be different but I also think it would be a hard task.

I would think the van would be correct since no one has said "oh wait that was me" I have tried to think that maybe it was something not following media coverage which seems very slim, then realizing the time the van was traveling most likely would have been someone "younger" who would have a social media site or following the case (without being biased sometimes senior citizens have vans- who may not be as "up"on the coverage.... Again just a biased opinion I have been thinking about.

Good point. Your average senior citizen is not driving through strip mall parking lots at that time of night. Especially since the only things open were the poker room and 24 hour gym. Plus, there are pictures of Jessica, the van and the POI literally everywhere around here. You almost can't leave the house without seeing flyers. It would be hard not to be aware of this case.

How would one know if a sketch is 10-10, and why would LE be willing to put it out there along with a vehicle description? Seems this would only serve to tip off the perp.

I don't think we're looking for either. I'm assuming local LE is being used to create a distraction.

I almost thank everyone. I may not agree with them but different points of view and critical examination of the posts helps us all improve in what we read in the media. I think the news videos are edited because when I come back to reread them later they seem changed

How would one know if a sketch is 10-10, and why would LE be willing to put it out there along with a vehicle description? Seems this would only serve to tip off the perp.

I don't think we're looking for either. I'm assuming local LE is being used to create a distraction.

From this article, and link below.....

"On a scale of one to ten, a witness says the sketch of a possible suspect in the abduction of Jessica Heeringa is a ten.

Investigators released the drawing Tuesday. They say a witness saw this man drive away from the gas station where Heeringa was working when she disappeared Friday night. "

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/regional/254899/5/Police-release-sketch-of-Jessica-Heeringa-abductor

In this article, it states that the witness believes the sketch is a 10. And maybe it is a 10 in that person's recollection. It was dark and the recollection was given the next day.....But why wait til the next day??? Points to ponder......

I like to clean up things that raise doubts as we go along. I usually do this when things slow down a bit. I followed up on the remains that were found in Michigan City at the time Jessica was abducted. The remains were bones(this eliminated Jessica} the remains were examined to see if it was Lauren Spierer it wasn"t Lauren. They probably will turn out to be a missing local woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member