MI MI - Jodi Parrack, 11, abducted & murdered, Constantine, 7 Nov 2007

Carver says her family's nightmare has been amplified by rumors that members of Jodi's family are among those police are scrutinizing in a case where Constantine Police Chief Mark Honeysett says ``no one has been ruled in or ruled out yet.''

``I took a polygraph and so has my husband,'' Carver said. Police didn't comment on the test.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-26/1195230069212260.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

Does it seem a little odd someone suggests to check the cemetary? What would make someone think about looking into the cemetary? Maybe it's just me, but I found that odd.

I believe that the mother saw the bike up against the wall to the cemetary and that is why she looked in there. This poor family if they are innocent. Geez.

I believe that the mother saw the bike up against the wall to the cemetary and that is why she looked in there. This poor family if they are innocent. Geez.

The article in the link says the mother's friend told her to check in the cemetary. that's when she saw Jodi's bike and before the car could stop she hopped out and ran over.

The article in the link says the mother's friend told her to check in the cemetary. that's when she saw Jodi's bike and before the car could stop she hopped out and ran over.

``A friend of ours said, `Has anybody checked the cemetery?' so we drove there,'' said Carver, whose rented home is less than a block from the burial ground. ``When I saw her bike leaned up against the stone, she (the driver) didn't even stop the car before I jumped out and ran.''

I hate to say it, but if I were LE, I would be looking very closely at the family of this little girl. I just feel horrible for even thinking that, but I can't apologize for it, because we see these type of cases over, and over, and over, and over. When I first heard that they think perhaps she was alive for a significant amount of time between when she left her friend's home and when she actually died, you have to begin to wonder....

I hate to say it, but if I were LE, I would be looking very closely at the family of this little girl. I just feel horrible for even thinking that, but I can't apologize for it, because we see these type of cases over, and over, and over, and over. When I first heard that they think perhaps she was alive for a significant amount of time between when she left her friend's home and when she actually died, you have to begin to wonder....

I know Reannan. This is so sad. I just can't imagine why people do the things they do. I hope they're not involved but ... makes you wonder. Why is it "we" know right from wrong, what makes people tick? What makes people do the things they do?

``A friend of ours said, `Has anybody checked the cemetery?' so we drove there,'' said Carver, whose rented home is less than a block from the burial ground. ``When I saw her bike leaned up against the stone, she (the driver) didn't even stop the car before I jumped out and ran.''

Another thing that makes me wonder is, were they driving through the cemetary? it was dark I assume. How did she see the bike in the dar? Cemetary's aren't lit up are they?

Another thing that makes me wonder is, were they driving through the cemetary? it was dark I assume. How did she see the bike in the dar? Cemetary's aren't lit up are they?

The bike could have been illuminated by the car's headlights? :waitasec:

Does it seem a little odd someone suggests to check the cemetary? What would make someone think about looking into the cemetary? Maybe it's just me, but I found that odd.

Well, if you have ever lived close to a cemetary, you know kids will go there. It's curiousity usually, the spooky factor of it, and that there isn't a lot of the living around, and if someone does come along, you can spot them quickly. :(

Well, if you have ever lived close to a cemetary, you know kids will go there. It's curiousity usually, the spooky factor of it, and that there isn't a lot of the living around, and if someone does come along, you can spot them quickly. :(

I guess it all depends where you live. When I was a kid we lived across the street from one and we never thought of hanging out, walking around in a cemetary. Especially at night. But then again, that was a long time ago when I was a kid

This will sound odd, yet when i was a child i played in the cemetery where my father and other relatives were buried, as my grandfather and family were usually doing some type of work there (being on the cemetery board). So growing up used to it, i never thought twice. Obviously, this isn't the case here; yet maybe they had checked everywhere else and the cemetery with it's proximity to where she lived was the last place nearby to check. I also know of a few kids who take a shortcut to get home through the cemetery, as there was houses boarding it on the far end. This was all during the daylight hours.
An autopsy would be able to show the exact time of death. I'm sure LE isn't releasing a lot as it could mess up the investigation.

It is a good thing that they are putting peeping tom's into the registry. A lot of the time, "peeping" is just there start and then their crimes escalate.

I didn't mean to imply that peeping isn't a warning sign. ITA agree about that. But to throw a peeping tom in the same registry with no distinction with someone who committed a forcible rape on a stranger child that he abducted, a 17yo who had sex with his 14yo girlfriend, and an estranged husband who was accused by his ex wife of some inappropriate touching of their child (which may or may not be true)...

...well, the list gets really long, and it's hard to sort when you're trying to look for suspects in a very specific type of crime like this one.

RE: the cemetery. I would have looked there too. I think it would be a place where kids might go to be out of sight of adult eyes. Also, if the friend feared a kidnapping it might be a place where someone could take a child to assault her or dump a body. I think it was a pretty good idea to look there.

I can almost picture being in the car, praying to find her but terrified of what you might find. The headlights sweep across the metal and plastic of the bike, all out of place amidst the earth and stone. Her heart must have just broken.

Prayers for this family.

Strange that the bike was so easy to spot. I suspect that whomever left the bike in an upright position leaning against a wall wanted it to be visible from the road.

I think that a person looking to dump a body and get rid of the bike too, would have just let the bike fall to the ground, like most kids do when their parents aren't reminding them to use the kickstand. Ever try to prop a bike against a wall? It isn't that easy, it keeps sliding down when the handlebars turn sideways. Usually takes a bit of balancing to keep it from falling.

Who would be that careful with someone else's bike? Maybe the person who purchased it to begin with?

Of course, I am assuming that the girl did not just ride the bike to that exact spot, prop it up and drop dead all by herself.

Susan

Mongoose bikes tend to be in the more expensive price range than regular bmx style bikes, like Huffy for example. The older the Mongoose is, especially for 1980's models; the more value it has. Some you can buy at Walmart, yet its $100 and up price range. Whoever killed her didn't really attempt to hide the body well. I'm beginning to think it may not have been a pervert. A pervert would have kidnapped her and likely held her hostage somewhere. Now if it was a pervert in the making and then they got scared and just dumped her, that would fit. Very odd case..
We have:
1. The victim's body was not hidden well, with the bike left out like a red flag.
2. No trauma to the victim's body. (Most likely someone she knew enough to be comfortable with not to fight back)
3. Knowledge of recent kidnapping attempts in neighboring areas. (diversion of murderer or related to?)
4. Most likely a secondary crime scene if bike was found the way it was. (Unless Jodi was lured into the cemetary by someone she knew and set the bike that way herself as to not damage it, since it was borrowed. Anything is possible)
5. Mother states when she found her, Jodi's eyes and mouth were closed as if she were sleeping. Does anyone find this odd that her eyes were closed? Did the killer close them so they would not have to face the blank stare of death? This shows remorse/guilt of some sort. I find it highly unlikely she died with her eyes closed; she did not die in her sleep. Someone closed them, and for a reason.
6. Store owner Roevke remembers her in one of the link articles, saying something to the effect that she would say 'good morning' and then lower her head. This implies the victim was shy in nature around certain adults she didn't know well.

I sure hope its not her family but it does sound a little strange that the mother found her

I still wouldn't jump to the family-how about the friend who suggested the cemetery? I haven't read all of the links, but if there were attempts to revive her and mom found her with eyes and mouth closed, she must have been warm to the touch? I am more curious as to why it was immediately ruled a homicide. Clearly there was something obvious that isn't being reported.

Whoever killed her clearly was not comfortable with death or having killed as her eyes were closed.
Her mother seemed to have "mother's intuition" about her daughter being dead. I have heard of similiar cases of mothers or loved ones knowing ahead of time if something bad has happened, it's not all that uncommon, especially given the recent abduction attempts in neighboring areas and the world state nowadays with these predators left and right it seems.
It's just the circumstances of this case are unusual in general. Without any trauma, it seems hard to find a motive. I truly believe that a repeat sexual predator would have kidnapped her, not killed her and dumped her. They usually can't control their impulses and would have abused her or kidnapped her to abuse her later, not just murder her untouched. If it was someone who has had urges yet not acted on them until then, anything is possible and maybe they got in a panic and killed her.
If it's a secondary crime scene, then the struggle would have occurred elsewhere. Maybe someone she knew offered her a ride, so she got in the car with the bike. Otherwise a regular kidnapper wouldn't have bothered to bring the bike also; make it look like they're driving her home, yet not so. Did LE check into whether or not any of her friends have older brothers or relatives living with them or who may have met Jodi?
Going years back, The Hadden Clark case in MD, he had murdered his neice's playmate. He happened to be over his brother's house at the time. He wasn't even suspected for awhile.

Has it been mentioned what the area looked like around the body? Like, was there any signs of a scuffle, marks in the ground, dirt on her clothes? Was DNA taken from under her fingernails in case she did try to fight off her attacker and maybe scratched him/her? So many questions, but I think LE would be able to tell if the body was placed there of if the murder happened there.

I agree with meoW333.

I think someone offering Jodi a ride home is very possible. According to the employee, she never made it to the gas station. I think she would have gone to get her snack before coming home unless someone stopped her. If she had been forcibly snatched and fighting, the abductor wouldn't have bothered with the bike, in my opinion. He/she would have had their hands full.

I doubt Jodi would have willlingly gone with someone she didn't know.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-26/1195230133212260.xml&coll=7

Honeysett said police are specifically interested in speaking with anyone who may have seen Jodi after 4:45 p.m. when she was last spotted at the downtown street corner.

``Multiple friends have her westbound on East Third Street, almost to South Washington Street (U.S. 131) at 4:45 p.m.,'' he reported. ``At that point she was headed the opposite direction from her home and she was alone. We're not sure after that if she crossed South Washington or went north or south.''

``That could be the absolute key'' to solving the case, Honeysett said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back