MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

Well, my plans have changed. I will not be going up to Michigan to be with my family around the 10th of December. I made a public post on FaceBook and within it, I said that I would like to see Kim and JT provide formal written statements to LE. This really caused quite a discussion and basically my daughter, Kim and her two daughters have again severed their relationship with me. This is the second time this has happened and will be the last as far as I'm concerned. For almost a year, we have been trying to "build" back our relationship and now it is over again. Until this murder is solved or Kim & JT provide LE with written formal statements, I don't see a future in our relationship. Kim is the only person LE will talk to and she very seldom contacts them, probably only twice in the last year. I know most mothers would be "pounding" on LE's desk once a week or more. Why won't they give statements, do they have something to hide, did they lie to LE early on in the investigation, I don't know the answer and probably never will. I will continue my research and appreciate any ideas people give me on this site. LE has interviewed and DNA tested many, many people that they thought might be involved - neighbors, co-workers, people Julia dated, her room mates and their friends plus many students that Julia may have known. All of this and still no results. I truly believe that sooner or later, forensic science will solve this crime. I pray that it will be sooner!

Well, my plans have changed. I will not be going up to Michigan to be with my family around the 10th of December. I made a public post on FaceBook and within it, I said that I would like to see Kim and JT provide formal written statements to LE. This really caused quite a discussion and basically my daughter, Kim and her two daughters have again severed their relationship with me. This is the second time this has happened and will be the last as far as I'm concerned. For almost a year, we have been trying to "build" back our relationship and now it is over again. Until this murder is solved or Kim & JT provide LE with written formal statements, I don't see a future in our relationship. Kim is the only person LE will talk to and she very seldom contacts them, probably only twice in the last year. I know most mothers would be "pounding" on LE's desk once a week or more. Why won't they give statements, do they have something to hide, did they lie to LE early on in the investigation, I don't know the answer and probably never will. I will continue my research and appreciate any ideas people give me on this site. LE has interviewed and DNA tested many, many people that they thought might be involved - neighbors, co-workers, people Julia dated, her room mates and their friends plus many students that Julia may have known. All of this and still no results. I truly believe that sooner or later, forensic science will solve this crime. I pray that it will be sooner!

I am sorry to hear that your relationship with your daughter has been severed again.

Kim, JT and their daughters have gone through a lot. Besides the loss of Julia, they also had to go through a trial (that should never have taken place IMO because there wasn't a case) and public humiliation. The way Ypsilanti police has handled the investigation has caused harm to the Turnquist family and it is understandable if they would have little trust in the Ypsilanti police. Given this history, it may be advisable not to make such a formal statement. There are many examples of innocent people in prison (and later exonerated) who where trapped and intimidated into a false confession.

At this point I don't know if Ypsilanti police still believes that JT is involved. My impression is that, I am sorry to say, this case has gone cold. I am not sure whether "pounding" on LE's desk on a weekly basis is helpful. Likely, the officer would get irritated and break off communication alltogether. I am still hopeful for this case, though. One DNA hit could blow the case wide open. I wish a new team of investigators (perhaps a cold case team) would look at this case again with new eyes.

I am sorry to hear that your relationship with your daughter has been severed again.

Kim, JT and their daughters have gone through a lot. Besides the loss of Julia, they also had to go through a trial (that should never have taken place IMO because there wasn't a case) and public humiliation. The way Ypsilanti police has handled the investigation has caused harm to the Turnquist family and it is understandable if they would have little trust in the Ypsilanti police. Given this history, it may be advisable not to make such a formal statement. There are many examples of innocent people in prison (and later exonerated) who where trapped and intimidated into a false confession.

At this point I don't know if Ypsilanti police still believes that JT is involved. My impression is that, I am sorry to say, this case has gone cold. I am not sure whether "pounding" on LE's desk on a weekly basis is helpful. Likely, the officer would get irritated and break off communication alltogether. I am still hopeful for this case, though. One DNA hit could blow the case wide open. I wish a new team of investigators (perhaps a cold case team) would look at this case again with new eyes.

I believe that if they have nothing to hide, why not give a formal written statement. If they feel this may present a "problem" then they should take their lawyer with them. Why on earth would JT want to continue being named "a person of interest"? This does not make any sense to me.

I am so very sorry :(
I am always scanning the internet for any new updates or thoughts to add.

Does anyone know if they checked into co-workers or even professors or even neighbors not just from her building I'm getting the feeling she knew him but kept him a secret hence phone in tub and haven't heard anyone say anything about her dating

I believe that LE has checked out some of EMU teachers / professors early on, I remember reading somewhere that either a teacher/ professor had a crush or infatuation on Julia or vise versa

Trojan, I am very sorry to hear that you and your family are struggling in disagreement on how Julia's investigation is going. The family divide during a time when family should be sticking together in a strong force of support has to be so stressful, hurtful and disappointing. I hope that the family wounds will heal and you all will work together on helping LE during the investigation. I thought that Kim and Jim Turnquist lawyered up with in days after they found Julia's body. AND didn't I hear somewhere that the reason Kim has given for lack of cooperating with LE is that YPSI was going after her husband, and because of the Child *advertiser censored* case. She seemed to have NO problem spending alot of time with the first Det. Joe Yuhas. But when he was taken off the case, and Det. Annette was the lead detective on the case, Kim just didn't like her and from that point on stopped cooperating with the investigation. I think you mentioned that Kim blames YPSI LE for the Child *advertiser censored* charge. Doesn't she realize that if LE find's any sign of child *advertiser censored* on a computer that they have to turn it over to LE in the city that they lived in. By law I think they had to do so. AND just because Jim T. was acquitted, doesn't mean there wasn't questionable photos on that computer right?? They just couldn't prove it was Jim T. that was looking at them, who knows it could have been Kim or Madison or who knows who, they had to prove it was the person on trail and LE and prosecutors weren't able to do so evidently. Hang in there, we hope that Julia's murderers are arrested soon.

I seem to recall somewhere in Julia's thread that she was described as being very social with a wide array of friends and that she dated a similarly wide array of guys. This would make LE's task doubly difficult IWT. Quite a large pool to sift through. However, the DNA sample, IIRC, did help narrow the scope significantly to race and a male with a vasectomy.

This 2015 United Nations report tells us that 1 in 10 men in the U.S. have a vasectomy. That does help narrow the Suspect focus:
https://www.un.org/en/development/d...f/family/trendsContraceptiveUse2015Report.pdf

Amateur opinion and speculation

Good to know Rosesfromangels, do I recall that the DNA that LE does have was from 1 rubber glove that they found in Julia's bedroom? Also I think there was more then 1 DNA found on the glove. You would think that just from that there would have been an arrest by know, it's almost been 7 years. But I guess if the people /men who killed Julia aren't in the Codis database yet, then this case may take a very long time to be solved if LE is depending on this case to be solved by DNA alone. Didn't the step Dad give DNA, and I believe he had a vasectomy?

All of these comments are true. I believe that Kim or Jennifer have access to this site and read it periodically. I will not return to Michigan until either they (Kim & JT) give formal written statements or Julia's murder is solved. I do not believe any grandparent has ever been treated as badly as I have. I have always been there for them if they ever needed anything prior to Julia's murder. They will always have a place in my heart no matter what happens. I hope and pray each and every day for Justice for Julia.

Hi Trojan, thank you for your update.
The Perp robbed your family and the world of your beautiful Julia.
But it seems he is continuing to rob your family, and I'm sure that just nourishes him.

As the days and years go by and there is no formal and ongoing communication with LE - he wins.
As the days and years go by and the media loses interest in Julia and her case - he wins.
As your family fractures over the stress and strain - he wins.

It's up to you and your family to decide. Do you come together and fight for Julia, or do you fracture and fight amongst yourselves? From what I've seen from the media interviews you look like a strong, smart, and determined family.
Set aside the hurt and pain and anger and come together to fight for Julia!

Don't let the Perp win. Because right now - he is.

And here we are....seven years later. I was very disappointed that there wasn't coverage on Julia's still unsolved case. The rabid muderer(s) that took Julia's brilliant young life are still out there....

Good to know Rosesfromangels, do I recall that the DNA that LE does have was from 1 rubber glove that they found in Julia's bedroom? Also I think there was more then 1 DNA found on the glove. You would think that just from that there would have been an arrest by know, it's almost been 7 years. But I guess if the people /men who killed Julia aren't in the Codis database yet, then this case may take a very long time to be solved if LE is depending on this case to be solved by DNA alone. Didn't the step Dad give DNA, and I believe he had a vasectomy?
The police think the glove was planted, so the DNA on it probably doesn't belong to the perp. The perp could have swiped it from a doctor's waste basket or a colleague's waste basket.

The police think the glove was planted, so the DNA on it probably doesn't belong to the perp. The perp could have swiped it from a doctor's waste basket or a colleague's waste basket.
That would certainly be a crafty move. However, I recall that blood on the glove was consistent with Julia; seemingly from the tongue injury.

amateur opinion and speculation

True Roses. The blood found on the glove was Julia's. She had bitten her tongue. I too am disappointed that no local news did anything concerning her murder. I tried, but to no avail. I'll keep trying, researching and digging! We will have Justice for Julia

Nothing new to report. Ypsilanti Police don't communicate with me and will not ask or take any outside assistance. Very disappointing to say the least. They also don't want any publicity concerning her murder. Why?? Do they expect someone to come into the Police Headquarters and confess?? I will try other avenues!

I sent an email to the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's office on January 27th. As of today, I have not received a reply. I'm not sure that they even "read" my email! If I don't hear anything by next week, I'll have to try other "avenues".

I sent an email to the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's office on January 27th. As of today, I have not received a reply. I'm not sure that they even "read" my email! If I don't hear anything by next week, I'll have to try other "avenues".
I would try to keep the story in the press as much as possible. Maybe you could get the student-run newspaper at EMU to publish s feature on the case.

With the viciousness of this crime, I’m surprised there hasn’t been a DNA hit on another crime. Perp’s with the signature of Julia’s murder don’t strike once, IMO. Thus far, their measures to cover their tracks to a degree has worked, but they will slip up.

Justice for Julia!

amateur opinion and speculation

What did you write to the Prosecutor's office? Does the County Prosecutor has any authority over how Ypsi police handles the case? It would be good if a different team of investigators (for example state police or some cold case unit) would have a second look at this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back