MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

I knew about the missing drawer, but I don't think it had been mentioned in public until now.
I vaguely remember it to be a sock drawer, but I could be wrong about that. I think it may have
been used to carry stuff.

There may have been other items missing. Wasn't there also a key missing from the lanyard? It has been a while, and I am not sure if I remember all the details. The room was in disarray,
and some clothing items may have been taken, because I presume there wasn't an exact inventory of it, so some item missing may have gone unnoticed. The pillowcase may also have been like a "souvenir" taken by the killer.

I think the perp. may have removed evidence from the room, and perhaps used cleaning supplies to remove evidence.

I just checked my notes from some time ago. This is what was missing to the best of my knowledge:

a pillowcase the apartment key and room key from the lanyard

top of 3 sterilite drawers (the other 2 contained panties and swimsuits)
not exactly sure what it contained

probably panties that Julia wore that night. I don't believe they were found.

If you were simply carrying things, I would think a pillowcase would be a good container, a tad suspicious-looking, perhaps, but maybe not more suspicious than walking around with a couple drawers? This case is just so horrible and so strange.

The pillow case was black and white zebra striped (Julia loved zebra print). It is somewhat unusual,
so besides a carrying thing it may also have been taken as a "trophy".

We can speculate all we want but unfortunately The Ypsilanti Police Department does not provide any public updates and will not correspond or comment on any news articles about Julia's murder. Are they covering up something about this case? Mistakes made doing the initial CSI ? Mistakes by the detectives? Releasing the crime scene to early? Allowing the family to basically empty out the apartment within 36 hours of her body being found? Not wanting or accepting any true investigative help from outside agencies? Not turning the investigation over to the Michigan State Police? Check out the Eva Covington murder in June 2017 where the Van Buren Township Police finally asked the Michigan State Police for investigative help in August 2017. As a result, the murder was solved in November 2017. These are but a few of the questions I would ask them but since November 2018, they have refuse to talk to me. There was a family meeting on November 13, 2018 at the YPD (which I could not attend as I'm in Florida) which ultimately resulted in the Chief of Police telling the family members in attendance that the only person they will talk to concerning Julia's case is my daughter, Kim Turnquist, who is Julia's mother. Prior to this meeting, I had asked the Chief for a video chat or a conference call so I could hear the meeting. His answer was "I don't do that!" Keep in mind that YPD has asked both Kim and her now ex-husband, James Turnquist, to give formal written statements to the police. Both lawyered up and both have refused to provide those formal written statements. As far as I know, this has not happened yet. Thus, as a result, there is a definite "family divide" between us. I will continue to pursue Justice for Julia, no matter what obstacles I run into. I truly appreciate any and all help everyone has given us in our effort.

We can speculate all we want but unfortunately The Ypsilanti Police Department does not provide any public updates and will not correspond or comment on any news articles about Julia's murder. Are they covering up something about this case? Mistakes made doing the initial CSI ? Mistakes by the detectives? Releasing the crime scene to early? Allowing the family to basically empty out the apartment within 36 hours of her body being found? Not wanting or accepting any true investigative help from outside agencies? Not turning the investigation over to the Michigan State Police? Check out the Eva Covington murder in June 2017 where the Van Buren Township Police finally asked the Michigan State Police for investigative help in August 2017. As a result, the murder was solved in November 2017. These are but a few of the questions I would ask them but since November 2018, they have refuse to talk to me. There was a family meeting on November 13, 2018 at the YPD (which I could not attend as I'm in Florida) which ultimately resulted in the Chief of Police telling the family members in attendance that the only person they will talk to concerning Julia's case is my daughter, Kim Turnquist, who is Julia's mother. Prior to this meeting, I had asked the Chief for a video chat or a conference call so I could hear the meeting. His answer was "I don't do that!" Keep in mind that YPD has asked both Kim and her now ex-husband, James Turnquist, to give formal written statements to the police. Both lawyered up and both have refused to provide those formal written statements. As far as I know, this has not happened yet. Thus, as a result, there is a definite "family divide" between us. I will continue to pursue Justice for Julia, no matter what obstacles I run into. I truly appreciate any and all help everyone has given us in our effort.
BBM

Do you believe that this is a strategy to drive a wedge between Kim and JT (since some people seem to believe that she is giving him a bogus alibi)?

BBM

Do you believe that this is a strategy to drive a wedge between Kim and JT (since some people seem to believe that she is giving him a bogus alibi)?
I don't believe that is the reason. I suspect that YPD does not want to correspond with me because I will research everything they tell me and get to the truth.

Yes. I have to think about the drawer; that’s an unexpected item to remove. Purposeful.
If it was her underwater drawer that will be especially creepy.

amateur opinion and speculation

I wonder how large this drawer was? And I think you meant ‘Underwear’ drawer .. right

...Keep in mind that YPD has asked both Kim and her now ex-husband, James Turnquist, to give formal written statements to the police. Both lawyered up and both have refused to provide those formal written statements. As far as I know, this has not happened yet. Thus, as a result, there is a definite "family divide" between us. I will continue to pursue Justice for Julia, no matter what obstacles I run into. I truly appreciate any and all help everyone has given us in our effort.

<respectfully snipped>

Besides Julia's untimely death, the fact that her mother has refused to provide a formal statement to YPD is, for me, the most troubling aspect of this case. I simply cannot fathom a mother not wanting to do everything possible to cooperate with LE to find out who murdered her daughter and the motive behind the heinous crime. Why is Kim refusing to make a formal statement to YPD? Those who have nothing to hide - hide nothing...

Last edited:
<respectfully snipped>

Besides Julia's untimely death, the fact that her mother has refused to provide a formal statement to YPD is, for me, the most troubling aspect of this case. I simply cannot fathom a mother not wanting to do everything possible to cooperate with LE to find out who murdered her daughter and the motive behind the heinous crime. Why is Kim refusing to make a formal statement to YPD? Those who have nothing to hide - hide nothing...
Which do you think is the true situation, @BetteDavisEyes ?
A) Kim actually participated in Julia's murder
B) Kim did not participate but knows that JT murdered Julia and is covering for him anyway
C) Kim is covering for JT because she believes that he is innocent
D) Kim has no knowledge of the crime but is simply hostile to the YPD

I'm not sure what to think.

B) Kim did not participate but knows that JT murdered Julia and is covering for him anyway

If I had to choose, I guess I'd go with B. JT seems like a creepy guy, and I was aghast at some of the things that were going on in the Turnquist household. Removing the bathroom door in a home that he occupied with four females? Absolutely disgusting! Can't forget the child *advertiser censored* case, either.

Now that they're divorced, I don't know why Kim still won't talk to LE. She should no longer feel obligated to protect him - unless JT has threatened her. Like you, I don't know what to think. JMO

Last edited:

A) Kim has never been accused or mentioned as a suspect or person of interest, so it just seems wrong to suggest she is involved in Julia's murder.
B) I don't think Kim would cover for JT if she knew he was involved. Now that Kim and JT are divorced,
she has even less reason to cover JT.
C) I am convinced that Kim believes JT is innocent (and so do I).
D) It does not seem to me that Kim or JT are hostile to YPD (but I am not sure what kind of hostility is suggested).
They have been critical of YPD, as have many in this forum. But they remain in contact with YPD.
Hiring a lawyer is not hostile, and doesn't mean your guilty.

Since the YPD will not correspond with me, I have no idea since the family meeting (Nov 2018) of exactly what is going on. Does Kim talk to the YPD on a regular basis? Or does she only talk when YPD contacts her? I have no idea. I still have a hard time dealing with the fact that YPD only wants to talk to Kim (who has refused to give a statement). I was Julia's legal guardian until she was 11 years old, so her murder has been like not only losing granddaughter but a daughter as well. YPD will not make any comments to any local news outlets or anyone else as far as I know. My question to them would be "How's that working for you?" Without any publicity to the public, I think they just want this case to fade away. Julia's murder is not the type of publicity that Eastern Michigan University would be happy with! Again, my biggest question is: Why would the parents refuse to provide formal written statements to the police? They could have their lawyer accompany them and advise them but not giving a formal written statement by the parents just does not seem right. This is the biggest fact that has caused our "family divide".

It's deeply concerning that Julia's perpetrator is still walking free in society. This was a particularly warped and violent crime, and I'm surprised the citizenry hasn't been demanding answers of LE. Whose sister, daughter, or wife is next? He's still out there, and why aren't we hearing any steps to capture and convict this miscreant?

I really don't get it. Is this a Michigan thing? Murdered women are a low priority? If that's wrong, I'd like to see evidence of that. Because from the armchair amateur position, from the outside observer, it looks like law enforcement in Michigan could care less about Julia Niswender, and her traumatized family and friends. That's just amateur opinion and speculation of course. I'd like to see some action to prove that speculation wrong.

As to who the Perp is? Well, the theories have been well debated on this thread, and the primary POI could be the Perp, or not. I remain open minded. I don't have enough solid info coming from LE to know.

Whoever it was, she apparently let them in, and they presumably knew her roomies were away. He was bold - he presumably had done this before....perhaps many times. I wonder if he travels around and attaches himself to universities. I've even wondered about a connection to Purdue and Abby & Libby. Who knows.

When I think of Julia's case, I think of the famous case of Harvard anthropology grad student Jane Britton, murdered in her off campus apartment in 1969. It took 50 years to solve the case, but DNA technology advanced, and they finally figured out who her killer was. In Jane's case, suspicion quickly turned to men close to her, and there was tremendous focus on how anthropological artifacts were placed on/around her body. I went deep in to research on this case, trying to find some correlation to the placement of the objects and perhaps some ritual performed by cults. Many others researched this angle as well, hoping to lead to the Perp.

Despite all this fascinating research, it turned out Jane Britton's murderer was some random loser who worked in the area who saw the attractive grad student and ended up crawling up the fire escape in to her apartment and attacking/killer her. Nothing complex or ritualistic, no ties to any close male associates, just some random deranged troglodyte. (The troglodyte reference is a little nod to Jane's anthropology study).
Here's a brief summary of Jane's story. I compare it to Julia's case to compare and contrast as I wonder if the Perp was someone close to Julia, or like Jane Britton, a complete stranger.

Who killed Jane Britton? 50-year murder investigation finally closed

Amateur opinion and speculation only

Last edited:
It's deeply concerning that Julia's perpetrator is still walking free in society. This was a particularly warped and violent crime, and I'm surprised the citizenry hasn't been demanding answers of LE. Whose sister, daughter, or wife is next? He's still out there, and why aren't we hearing any steps to capture and convict this miscreant?

I really don't get it. Is this a Michigan thing? Murdered women are a low priority? If that's wrong, I'd like to see evidence of that. Because from the armchair amateur position, from the outside observer, it looks like law enforcement in Michigan could care less about Julia Niswender, and her traumatized family and friends. That's just amateur opinion and speculation of course. I'd like to see some action to prove that speculation wrong.

As to who the Perp is? Well, the theories have been well debated on this thread, and the primary POI could be the Perp, or not. I remain open minded. I don't have enough solid info coming from LE to know.

Whoever it was, she apparently let them in, and they presumably knew her roomies were away. He was bold - he presumably had done this before....perhaps many times. I wonder if he travels around and attaches himself to universities. I've even wondered about a connection to Purdue and Abby & Libby. Who knows.

When I think of Julia's case, I think of the famous case of Harvard anthropology grad student Jane Britton, murdered in her off campus apartment in 1969. It took 50 years to solve the case, but DNA technology advanced, and they finally figured out who her killer was. In Jane's case, suspicion quickly turned to men close to her, and there was tremendous focus on how anthropological artifacts were placed on/around her body. I went deep in to research on this case, trying to find some correlation to the placement of the objects and perhaps some ritual performed by cults. Many others researched this angle as well, hoping to lead to the Perp.

Despite all this fascinating research, it turned out Jane Britton's murderer was some random loser who worked in the area who saw the attractive grad student and ended up crawling up the fire escape in to her apartment and attacking/killer her. Nothing complex or ritualistic, no ties to any close male associates, just some random deranged troglodyte. (The troglodyte reference is a little nod to Jane's anthropology study).
Here's a brief summary of Jane's story. I compare it to Julia's case to compare and contrast as I wonder if the Perp was someone close to Julia, or like Jane Britton, a complete stranger.

Who killed Jane Britton? 50-year murder investigation finally closed

Amateur opinion and speculation only

Well, it's a lot harder to catch criminals who kill strangers, because there's no motive linking them to the victim

Well, it's a lot harder to catch criminals who kill strangers, because there's no motive linking them to the victim
True, however, with DNA forensics advancing at such a truly amazing rate, that will change, is changing.

If Ypsi would release that degraded DNA sample to Othram, I speculate we would have an arrest in short order. Even if the gloves were planted, they could trace the origin and connect the dots. That day will come if Ypsi works with Othram, in my opinion.

Amateur opinion and speculation

True, however, with DNA forensics advancing at such a truly amazing rate, that will change, is changing.

If Ypsi would release that degraded DNA sample to Othram, I speculate we would have an arrest in short order. Even if the gloves were planted, they could trace the origin and connect the dots. That day will come if Ypsi works with Othram, in my opinion.

It's possible. If the glove was planted, it could have been stolen from a doctor's office, and it might have that doctor's DNA on it. The perp might be someone known to have visited that doctor's office.

I agree, I can not imagine how frustrating this must be for the family, that the YPD has not shared DNA with Othram or Parabon. And why is LE not doing so? Is it because they feel they don’t have enough, or was it poorly handled.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks
Back