MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

I have been following Julia's case for many years and participating on this thread. I have researched and researched, and my old sleuthing buddy Spellbound and I pulled apart many theories.

I have recently come to the firm conclusion that the original POI is NOT the Perp, and his ex-wife and stepdaughter were absolutely telling the truth about his whereabouts the night Julia was murdered.

I speculate the Perp was someone closely known to Julia, and has been hiding in plain sight. He will be married, with a respectable job.

It's time for LE to step up their efforts and look beyond their initial POI. This case can be brought to justice swiftly if the focus shifts.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Last edited:
I have been following Julia's case for many years and participating on this thread. I have researched and researched, and my old sleuthing buddy Spellbound and I pulled apart many theories.

I have recently come to the firm conclusion that the original POI is NOT the Perp, and his ex-wife and stepdaughter were absolutely telling the truth about his whereabouts the night Julia was murdered.

I speculate the Perp was someone closely known to Julia, and has been hiding in plain sight. He will be married, with a respectable job.

It's time for LE to step up their efforts and look beyond their initial POI. This case can be brought to justice swiftly if the focus shifts.

Like Spellbound and you, I have been following this case for a long time.

I never really believed that JT was the perp. I think he is an odd person who rubs some people the wrong way. But I don't think he is a criminal mastermind that would be able to fool law enforcement, his (now ex-)wife and Julia's sisters.

Why do you think the perp may be married with a respectable job?
Semen found was consistent with a vasectomy which suggests a married person or a person in a committed relationship.
But it is not clear to me whether the semen sample is ONLY consistent with a person who had a vasectomy.

I am afraid that the case has cooled down and that LE is just waiting for a lucky break and not doing anything actively at the moment. Somehow I think that Ypsilanti police also doesn't believe JT was responsible. I am sorry to say that I am feeling quite pessimistic and also hope for a lucky break. I wish the case would be given to a cold case unit that could look at it with fresh eyes.

One thing law enforcement should do, in my opinion, is release more information and details.
This would bring renewed interest in the case and perhaps new tips would come in.
It is understandable that police holds a lot of information back to not jeopardize the integrity of the investigation. But after nearly 10 years, it looks like this case remains unsolved unless police does something different.

I just saw this news clip/article on the efforts of Julia's grandfather efforts to get the cold case foundation involved. Unfortunately, Ypsilanti police is not responding.

Julia Niswender's grandfather fights for answers in 2012 murder case

I don't think Ypsi police is doing anything. Trojan, although I am pessimistic I do hope that your persistence will pay of some time soon.

I will continue with my efforts on Julia's murder. I am trying to get more publicity concerning her case. The Ypsi PD will not answer any questions from anyone who contacts them. Why? Are they afraid the publicity will be "bad" for the city, EMU or the Ypsi PD? Is this a coverup for a botched initial investigation? Was their CSI people incompetent? We may never know..... I'm now 74 years old and I will continue my efforts until we have results or I pass away!

Hi All,
It looks like I will be doing another TV interview with channel 13 (ABC) in Toledo, Ohio. I will continue my efforts to have Julia's story publicized in hopes of some "new" information or tips. As has been in the past, the Ypsilanti Police Department refuses to comment on anything and will not talk to any outside organization that is willing to be of assistance. This stinks! Is this a "cover-up" by YPD because they have made some mistakes in the past? My efforts will continue until Julia's murder is resolved.

I will continue with my efforts on Julia's murder. I am trying to get more publicity concerning her case. The Ypsi PD will not answer any questions from anyone who contacts them. Why? Are they afraid the publicity will be "bad" for the city, EMU or the Ypsi PD? Is this a coverup for a botched initial investigation? Was their CSI people incompetent? We may never know..... I'm now 74 years old and I will continue my efforts until we have results or I pass away!
I think that the victims whose families quietly wait go to the bottom of the pile because it's natural to try to respond to whoever is exerting the most pressure. It is very hard for LE to ignore a case when a family member is routinely asking for updates, and/or exerting pressure via the press and victims advocacy orgs. I think that it's wonderful that you are still advocating for your granddaughter.

I think that the victims whose families quietly wait go to the bottom of the pile because it's natural to try to respond to whoever is exerting the most pressure. It is very hard for LE to ignore a case when a family member is routinely asking for updates, and/or exerting pressure via the press and victims advocacy orgs. I think that it's wonderful that you are still advocating for your granddaughter.
I agree. The Grandfather's dedication to seeking justice for Julia is inspiring. Julia's Mom and twin secured an interview not too long ago as well. It's great to see the family not giving up.

Latest update: I have emailed the Mayor of Ypsilanti, all City Council members, and the City Manager. All total, only four of these even "read" my email. I the emailed two State Senators and Representatives (one for the Monroe area and one for the Ypsilanti area). Of these four, none replied to my email. I then emailed the US Senators and Representatives for the areas, no reply from any of them. It seems that no one in Michigan seems interested in an unsolved murder from almost 10 years ago. I then started contacting various media. Two TV stations were interested in doing a story to update the public. One station was WXYZ-TV (ABC) Detroit which I did an interview with. It was aired on June 8th. You can find this on their website (Julia Niswender's grandfather fights for answers in 2012 murder case). The other station was WTVG-TV (ABC) Toledo. This interview has not aired yet but may be aired on July 11th. Both stations have tried to contact the Ypsilanti PD but have not received any reply! This seems to be "normal" for YPD. The Cold Case Foundation tried to communicate with YPD but never received a reply! Again, I ask why, is there a "coverup" being done by YPD? I will continue my efforts and try to keep Julia's case in the public's eye as long as I can. I hope and pray that one day my family's questions will all be answered and we may then have some final closure. Nothing will bring Julia back but possibly we will have some answers.

Latest update: I have emailed the Mayor of Ypsilanti, all City Council members, and the City Manager. All total, only four of these even "read" my email. I the emailed two State Senators and Representatives (one for the Monroe area and one for the Ypsilanti area). Of these four, none replied to my email. I then emailed the US Senators and Representatives for the areas, no reply from any of them. It seems that no one in Michigan seems interested in an unsolved murder from almost 10 years ago. I then started contacting various media. Two TV stations were interested in doing a story to update the public. One station was WXYZ-TV (ABC) Detroit which I did an interview with. It was aired on June 8th. You can find this on their website (Julia Niswender's grandfather fights for answers in 2012 murder case). The other station was WTVG-TV (ABC) Toledo. This interview has not aired yet but may be aired on July 11th. Both stations have tried to contact the Ypsilanti PD but have not received any reply! This seems to be "normal" for YPD. The Cold Case Foundation tried to communicate with YPD but never received a reply! Again, I ask why, is there a "coverup" being done by YPD? I will continue my efforts and try to keep Julia's case in the public's eye as long as I can. I hope and pray that one day my family's questions will all be answered and we may then have some final closure. Nothing will bring Julia back but possibly we will have some answers.

Since they have the DNA from the gloves, I wonder if Ypsi police would cooperate with Othram Labs (Othram - Justice Through Genomics) to do some genetic geneology, if the funds could be raised. I would bet a campaign could easily and quickly raise the money to pay for the work.

Since they have the DNA from the gloves, I wonder if Ypsi police would cooperate with Othram Labs (Othram - Justice Through Genomics) to do some genetic geneology, if the funds could be raised. I would bet a campaign could easily and quickly raise the money to pay for the work.
This has been suggested to YPD plus Parabon Nano Labs working with CeCe Moore. I have contacted her and she is more than willing to help. YPD is not interested. Their famous quote is “we don’t need any outside assistance”!

This has been suggested to YPD plus Parabon Nano Labs working with CeCe Moore. I have contacted her and she is more than willing to help. YPD is not interested. Their famous quote is “we don’t need any outside assistance”!
That infuriates me, so I can't even imagine how much it must infuriate you.

Here's my latest TV interview originally scheduled for July 11th but changed to July 18th. This was for the ABC station in Toledo, Ohio (WTVG-TV channel 13). Since law enforcement will not cooperate, the Cold Case Foundation has advised me to contct politicians (I have but so far no response) and try to get Julia's murder out to the public. Possibly more and more publicity will help solve her horrific murder.
Here's the link:

Last edited:
I have recently contacted the Michigan Attorney General and the US Department of Justice concerning the handling of Julia's case by the Ypsilanti Police Department. I am eagerly awaiting their replies - if any!

@Trojan1966 this is going to sound like a rather aggressive tactic, but perhaps you should start Tweeting to these Politicians who are not responding to your emails. All you would need is one Tweet to go viral and for people to start finding out that a grieving Grandfather can not get any help from his representatives.. I know your Governor is very active on Social Media.

@Trojan1966 this is going to sound like a rather aggressive tactic, but perhaps you should start Tweeting to these Politicians who are not responding to your emails. All you would need is one Tweet to go viral and for people to start finding out that a grieving Grandfather can not get any help from his representatives.. I know your Governor is very active on Social Media.
I don't tweet but I will look into it. Thanks.

Here's a bit of an update. I have not received any reply from the Department of Justice or the Michigan Attorney General. Friday (29th) I mailed a three page letter to the Governor of Michigan, Gretchen Whitmer. I sent it using the US Post Office and hope that I will get a reply in the future. It seems that no one wants to reply to me! I will continue my efforts to seek Justice for Julia.

Here's a bit of an update. I have not received any reply from the Department of Justice or the Michigan Attorney General. Friday (29th) I mailed a three page letter to the Governor of Michigan, Gretchen Whitmer. I sent it using the US Post Office and hope that I will get a reply in the future. It seems that no one wants to reply to me! I will continue my efforts to seek Justice for Julia.
I can't believe that you are not being helped with this! Is it because they can't be bothered, or maybe some don't want it to be solved? So frustrating. I hope you are doing well, hoping that you will get answers. As always, Justice For Juila!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back