Found Safe MI - Kaitlyn Leonard, 15, Sterling, 21 May 2018

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
32920063_1795774663817123_3174064441872351232_n.jpg

Our Missing Hearts

Article Missing from Sterling, Michigan, 15 year old Kaitlyn Leonard

Her Facebook Kaitlyn Leonard

ETA: Sterling is very small, it has a population of about 530 people according to Wikipedia!
It’s considered a village and is right at the start of what’s considered locally as Northern Michigan. I’m not sure where she would runaway top up there, if she did runaway.

It’s considered a village and is right at the start of what’s considered locally as Northern Michigan. I’m not sure where she would runaway top up there, if she did runaway.
It is also said that she needs medication and that withdrawals could be dangerous for her. I don't know if she would run away without the medication. Also, quote from the above flyer "It is believed she has a cell phone with her, but not her personal one" what does this mean? Who would give her a cell phone and why?

Last edited:
Looks like you're pretty much stuck if you don't have a vehicle, as I couldn't find any public transit in Sterling at all. If someone knows the area, is this true?

I have a theory, of course I have no facts, so this is just speculation.

Theory - An older guy

Kaitlyn may have met an older guy online and they began talking. Maybe he got her a cell phone that was mentioned in the flyer for them to talk without her parents knowing. Lets assume that he has a car. He may have called her on the evening of May 20 and asked her to hang out with him, maybe go to a club, to dance for example and he would bring her home later that night. She quietly left the house and met him somewhere to be picked up.

Now, I've googled bars/clubs in the Arenas county and most (if not all) seem to close at 12 AM or even earlier (I assume because the county is small and quite rural) and there are not that many of them. This leads me to believe that they went to a neighboring county that is bigger. Some possibilities below:

1. Bay County - a county south of Arenas, the county seat is Bay City, population is about 35 000. About 34 minutes drive (35.8 miles from Sterling) on I-75.
2. Iosco County - a county northeast of Arenas, the county seat is Tawas City, the most populated city is Plainfield Township I believe (population about 4000). About 42 minutes drive (36.6 miles) on M-65.
3. Gladwin County - a county west of Arenas. The county seat is Gladwin which has a population of about 2900 and can be reached via M-61 in about 31 minute (26.6 miles)
4. Ogemaw County - a county northwest of Arenas. The county seat is West Branch, with population of about 2100. Can be reached on I-75 in about 23 minutes (24.2 miles).

IMO Bay county is the best possibility.

It is also said that she needs medication and that withdrawals could be dangerous for her. I don't know if she would run away without the medication. Also, quote from the above flyer "It is believed she has a cell phone with her, but not her personal one" what does this mean? Who would give her a cell phone and why?

Help Bring the Missing Home

Her mother states that the phone was given to her daughter by someone she can’t name because he/she is a minor. Mother also believes the possibility of Kaitlyn being a runaway is strong. She believes Kaitlyn had help in leaving because the screen to her bedroom window looks as if it was popped open from the outside. Her backpack is missing, along with some of her clothing.

Her mother states that the phone was given to her daughter by someone she can’t name because he/she is a minor. Mother also believes the possibility of Kaitlyn being a runaway is strong. She believes Kaitlyn had help in leaving because the screen to her bedroom window looks as if it was popped open from the outside. Her backpack is missing, along with some of her clothing.
I wonder why she didn't take her medication then....

What do you think happened to her? Did she run away or did something else happen? What really bothers me is the fact that she didn't take her medication with her. Why? It's very important to her as she would have serious withdrawals and they even could be life threatening. It's been almost two weeks since she has been gone. Did she think that she would be gone only for a day or two? If so, what happened?

Quoting the above post

Questions

1. Who is that minor that gave Kaitlyn the phone? Her classmate? Why would he/she give her the phone?
2. Did the police talk to Kaitlyn's friends/classmates? Did she have a crush/boyfriend?
3. Who would help Kaitlyn to leave (as her bedroom screen window has been popped open from the outside)? I don't think that there are any teens missing in the county except Kaitlyn. It's a small county.
4. She did take her backpack and some of her clothing. Again, why not her medication?
5. Family believes that Kaitlyn has no money on her and her driver's permit is home. If she planned to run away, how would she support herself and where would she go? As noted above, it's a very rural county and there's not much public transit.

I really hope that she didn't go out with someone she met online as I've said in the post above.

Police don't believe Kaitlyn Leonard is in danger, but investigators say criminal charges are possible in the case of the missing 15-year-old girl.
"At this point, we don't believe that this is a human trafficking case," he said. "We believe it is a runaway situation and it's being handled as such."
But police want to find her and find the person who may have driven her away from the family home. Criminal charges are possible in the case.

Case of 15-year-old missing since May 20 could become criminal investigation

Still missing.

Arenac County teen now missing for more than a month
Police believe Kaitlyn ran away rather than having been abducted, but they've declined to say much more.
"She's a very beautiful, bright, artistic person," Kristi Leonard has said. "She enjoys drawing and painting. She is also a very gifted tap dancer. She has a heart of gold and loves her cats, Scarlettee and Si, along with any animal. She is really such a sweet girl willing to help whenever and wherever she was needed."

They should look into weather she got her medication filled elsewhere etc. Follow the meds IMO. She's been off them for awhile now. I wonder what they're for and how much of an emergency it is for her to take it.

Kaitlyn is still missing. Where could she be after all this time? Why wouldn't she at least call home or write something on her Facebook to indicate that she is OK? I really hope that I'am wrong but I now tend to believe that something bad had happened to her, either foul play or self harm.

hmm re phone call etc they can ping and find where she is calling from.....just a thought

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back