GUILTY MI - Karie Bowman, 5 mo, dies of cocaine OD, West Branch, 21 Aug 2005

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by hoppyfrog, Aug 23, 2006.

1. hoppyfrog

hoppyfrog Retired WS Staff

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/news-37/115628185525480.xml&storylist=newsmichigan

WEST BRANCH, Mich. (AP) — A 23-year-old woman who authorities say was responsible for her infant daughter's death after feeding her breast milk containing cocaine was bound over to circuit court Tuesday.

Sara Shelby, of West Branch, faces one count of involuntary manslaughter, a 15-year felony, in the Aug. 21, 2005, death of her 5-month-old daughter, Karie Lee Bowman. She remains free on bond and was ordered to appear in Ogemaw County Circuit Court on Sept. 20 for arraignment.

more at link

2. Loading...

3. Gmommy

Gmommy Inactive

That is so terrible. That poor baby. I remember how wired my son was when I overdid the caffeine once while I was still nursing-after watching my tired baby trying desperately to sleep but not able to from being so twitchy and wired I knew it was time to give up the caffeine. I knew it was from the caffeine because he looked just like me when I really overdid caffeinne :(

4. Sheromom

Sheromom New Member

What a stupid woman! And why mix breast milk with formula and bottle-feed? That seems to remove a good deal of the PURPOSE of breast-feeding. I hope jail time will wisen her up. And I hope they DO make an example of her so other mothers will see that they can't do this. She must have had a mighty lot in her system for this to happen.

5. Opie

Opie Well-Known Member

Is it too much to hope that she will not have any more children? It's highly unlikely she will give up the cocaine habit. They are not compatible, children and cocaine.

6. beakiebean

beakiebean New Member

Mixing breastfeeding and formula feeding is not uncommon at all. Some women do it because they work and can't pump or can't pump enough milk so they supplement the breast milk with formula. Others breastfeed and supplement with formula when they go out instead of pumping. Babies still receive great benefits from breastfeeding even if they are supplemented part time with formula and supplementing is wonderful for many moms who want to continue to nurse and work. Of course loading up on cocaine pretty much kills the benefits of nursing....but apparently that would have been more common sense than this woman had!

7. Delores

Delores Inactive

oh my god! that poor baby

8. KJERVIS

KJERVIS New Member

9. Bobbisangel

Bobbisangel New Member

Now why would there be cocaine on the keys? Maybe the baby licked the mirror where the cocaine was cut or maybe she was putting the staw in her mouth that mom used to snot the cocaine.....that makes about as much sense.

What a horrible thing to do to a little baby. Sounds like the attorney is saying that the mom hung out with a bunch of junkies doesn't it! If this woman does have another baby and if CPA and the hospitals are on the ball it won't leave the hospital with her. Especially is she is in the same town. I hope she has to serve the full 15 yrs.

10. ajc2804

ajc2804 New Member

WEST BRANCH, Mich. -- A woman accused of causing the death of her infant daughter by feeding her breast milk containing cocaine has pleaded guilty to attempted manslaughter.

Sara Shelby of West Branch stopped short of admitting Thursday that she killed her 5- month-old daughter with breast milk contaminated by the drug.

Karie Bowman died Aug. 21, 2005, and a medical examiner ruled the infant died of cocaine intoxication.

Shelby faces up to five years in prison when sentenced next month.

http://www.wjactv.com/family/10733921/detail.html

11. Bobbisangel

Bobbisangel New Member

What happened to the up to 15 yrs in prison? I know, she pled guilty so they are giving her the deal of a lifetime! That is so much bull and it makes me so furious. She should have to serve the full 15 years....and she should have pled guilty because she is guilty. What a message that sends out to other mothers hooked on cocaine with little babies.

12. Belinda

Belinda Doer of Things

Sara Shelby

Sentence: 1 year 6 months
    Sentence date: 02/07/2007
    Discharge Date: 04/22/2008

This woman did just over 14 months for killing her baby. 14 months. How is this justice?

13. DairyGirl

DairyGirl New Member

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/122889/cocaine_tainted_breast_milk_kills_infant.html?cat=47

I found this persons My Space and it appears that her daughter is with her so I don't know how that worked out. She does have a picture of the baby that died on there, too. I hope she has turned her life around and is staying clean.