GUILTY MI - Kelli Stapleton, attempted murder of 14yo daughter, Benzie County, 3 Sept 2013

I'd still take her, right now if her parents don't want her.
Maybe Casey Anthony had just reached her "breaking point"...
I'm still disgusted. I know what it's like to live on zero restorative sleep, and yes have your own child attack you because they can't speak and are in pain or frustrated no one can understand their fears or the need to say "no". Heavens sake, I've done that with my own son, on top of making sure I don't kill or injure him with insulin every single day for 21 years! Nobody, no parent - has a right to choose life or death of their child based on their own inability to cope or do it alone. Why not, let some other institution or group home do it where they cannot? A far better option than murder?

Yes, it is as easy as walking into Child protective services and saying take her....what decent loving parent wouldn't die themselves, go to jail, or have to swallow their pride in court as they willingly terminated their rights. THAT'S Love...not selfish, killing you off so I can live without the burden that this disorder carries with it for most.

I don't think anyone has the "right" I'm just saying its understandable from my perspective. My perspective being I have zero experience with raising a child with severe special needs. I honestly think I would suck at it. I would imagine I'd try really hard but I can imagine failing. Miserably.

I've read some of the blog and some of the Facebook posts.

My take on it is that the mother appears to be a person who tries hard to be super mom on the outside but inside is probably extremely stressed trying to keep up appearances. The mother spent a lot of time online doing her blog and Facebook and YouTube showing the world what her day to day life is like.

I don't doubt for a second that this mother was overwhelmed. However, where was the husband in all of this? Did nobody notice that this woman was set to self destruct?

KS could have walked away from her life. Instead she chose to murder her child. Now she will sit in jail while her daughter will struggle even more than she already did. The husband is left with picking up the pieces. He has a daughter in the hospital and two other children at home. This will place an even bigger financial hardship on this family all because of a selfish decision.

I cannot side with any posters who feel this was a mercy killing, a killing to save others from being assaulted, or whatever other excuse comes along. The child has every right to live life and it is not somebody else who gets to make the decision that she should die.

I have a severely autistic nephew who is an adult and I can tell you my brother's life has been hell for 20 years. I don't care if you are mother Theresa, you would not want this responsibility. His wife is from another culture and refuses to consider any kind of residential placement. She has her family with her and they all help but it is still very difficult. He is non verbal, extremely violent and destructive. Their once beautiful house is destroyed. They have locks on everything or he will go into the refrigerator or cupboards and take everything out and throw it. One time while visiting them I went out for Taco Bell and he just came over and grabbed my food and started shoving it in his mouth. He is very big and strong and physically confronting or restraining him is near impossible.
I don't think there is a person on this board that would condone this action on any level or any reason but for myself, while I don't condone it I do understand a bit of what she may have been attempting to do. She may have felt, like my SIL, that there is no one in the world who would be able to love her child and care for her as she does. She may have been suicidal and felt that her only option was to take the child with her. I suspect that the years of care taking probably took it's toll and she is probably mentally ill and not thinking rationally. That is only my feeling on the matter. No one but her knows what she was thinking or why she did what she did. If she is convicted and jailed then she will get the punishment she deserves. I also hope she gets the help she seems to need as well.

I have enormous sympathy for the entire family, so very sad.

Oh my god!!!! This is the same family and the same woman's youtube channel.

Watch this, this is sick! They have an violent unstable child in the house so the family plays games which involve putting kittens in microwaves, feeding them "rat poison", putting them into the dryer, the oven, etc....and Izzy gets to participate!

Unbelievable. They have a violent mentally unstable child in the house with helpless small animals and this is what they do as a "joke?".

Kelly's Kittens - YouTube

Watch this, this is sick! They have an violent unstable child in the house so the family plays games which involve putting kittens in microwaves, feeding them "rat poison", putting them into the dryer, the oven, etc....and Izzy gets to participate!

Unbelievable. They have a violent mentally unstable child in the house with helpless small animals and this is what they do as a "joke?".

Thud......

Thud......

I just finished watching her behavioral plan video too and read the comments from someone that said her child should be put down like a feral dog. Wonder how many times she's heard or read that?
I can't believe they even managed to keep her in a home setting. I can't even imagine the stress and chaos for everyone in the house. Wouldn't be surprised if they all suffered from PTSD.

Again...they all have my sympathy.

Fourteen-year-old Issy Stapleton, a violently autistic child whose mother allegedly tried to kill her in a botched murder-suicide attempt, is now walking, talking and smiling.

According to a family Facebook post, the girl’s recovery “is nothing short of a miracle,” her father, Matt, wrote Monday.

She was removed from life support Friday in the intensive care unit of Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital in Grand Rapids, Mich., where doctors concluded she had suffered brain damage and was unable to breathe on her own.

After her ventilator was turned off, Issy began breathing. By Saturday, she was awake, asking questions and “showing signs of the incredible young woman she is,” her dad wrote.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...overy-miracle-article-1.1449941#ixzz2eXL1tWKY

OT sorta - thank you all for sharing your personal stories. It helps to understand the different thought processes, and the totally different takes on this situation from different parts of the country and parents of children who possess some of these diagnoses.

No denying it is sad - some are sad for the whole family, some only for Issy, and some for mom too.

Never considered MBP but will now go back and read some of the blog with that in mind.

Also, can you really take a 14 year old to protective services and tell them you can't care for the child any longer and they will say ok, we'll take this child? I saw someone posit that upthread and just wanted to know if that was true.

My heart goes out to so many of you, for your struggles, for your triumphs, for your beautiful children.

Wow!!!!!

OT sorta - thank you all for sharing your personal stories. It helps to understand the different thought processes, and the totally different takes on this situation from different parts of the country and parents of children who possess some of these diagnoses.

No denying it is sad - some are sad for the whole family, some only for Issy, and some for mom too.

Never considered MBP but will now go back and read some of the blog with that in mind.

Also, can you really take a 14 year old to protective services and tell them you can't care for the child any longer and they will say ok, we'll take this child? I saw someone posit that upthread and just wanted to know if that was true.

My heart goes out to so many of you, for your struggles, for your triumphs, for your beautiful children.

No, it's almost impossible. They'll charge a parent with abandonment first. I've heard a few parents managed to terminate their parental rights and sign kids over to the state only after massive debt, crisis and insurance runs out.

sorry you weren't there to take "it"....

kind of a cold way to refer to a child...imo

She meant the pain and pressure. Not the child. "It" refers to the situation, not Issy.

And how is that colder than trying to murder the child? Seriously?

I just finished watching her behavioral plan video too and read the comments from someone that said her child should be put down like a feral dog. Wonder how many times she's heard or read that?
I can't believe they even managed to keep her in a home setting. I can't even imagine the stress and chaos for everyone in the house. Wouldn't be surprised if they all suffered from PTSD.

Linda, I almost always agree with you on a variety of subjects. But in this instance I cannot. I cannot find a shred of sympathy in my soul for a woman who tries to murder her own baby, no matter how old that baby is.

Breaking point or not. It was wrong for Casey Anthony, it's wrong for anyone. No matter how troubled your child is.

It's not our call as parents or as humans to decide who is deserving of life and who is better off dead.

You know I love you to pieces and think you are "good people" as we say south of Jersey, but I feel your sympathies are misplaced here. :twocents:

Watch this, this is sick! They have an violent unstable child in the house so the family plays games which involve putting kittens in microwaves, feeding them "rat poison", putting them into the dryer, the oven, etc....and Izzy gets to participate! Kilo

Who is the woman in the video? And that is the father/husband? Am on a phone, when was it loaded? And why is Kelli's name spelled wrong? It's sick imo.

How often has she heard it? Hundreds, if not thousands, of times. I've heard it at least once, almost every single day, and I don't believe that my son is as badly impaired as Issy, so we probably only get a taste of what she hears. But, even with a child that is currently only moderately impaired, every day we heard, "Don't you wish you had aborted?" "Too bad they can't test for that before birth." "He is a waste, with no potential." "People like him shouldn't be allowed to live, at least not in public with the rest of us." Every single hour of every single day, at Walmart, at the therapy office, at DHS while fighting for benefits to cover residential treatment, on Facebook, Youtube, blog sites, message boards, even by private message here on WS. Every single day.

I can imagine what it was like for her. It is the most horrible thing you can imagine to look at the person that you love the most and know that there are people out there that thinks your child should be put down like an animal, and you as well, for giving birth to them.

It still doesn't give you the right to decide that cross is too big for them to bear, and try to kill them yourself. That sort of defeats the purpose of ever having the child, IMO.

Trying to make some sense out of this and I can't. Previous videos show her dancing with Issy, hugging, etc. I can't condone what she did and never will, but I do want to know and hopefully understand what the flying fk happened.This is horrible.

How often has she heard it? Hundreds, if not thousands, of times. I've heard it at least once, almost every single day, and I don't believe that my son is as badly impaired as Issy, so we probably only get a taste of what she hears. But, even with a child that is currently only moderately impaired, every day we heard, "Don't you wish you had aborted?" "Too bad they can't test for that before birth." "He is a waste, with no potential." "People like him shouldn't be allowed to live, at least not in public with the rest of us." Every single hour of every single day, at Walmart, at the therapy office, at DHS while fighting for benefits to cover residential treatment, on Facebook, Youtube, blog sites, message boards, even by private message here on WS. Every single day.

I can imagine what it was like for her. It is the most horrible thing you can imagine to look at the person that you love the most and know that there are people out there that thinks your child should be put down like an animal, and you as well, for giving birth to them.

It still doesn't give you the right to decide that cross is too big for them to bear, and try to kill them yourself. That sort of defeats the purpose of ever having the child, IMO.

She tried to kill herself too. Not like the Casey Anthony type. I can image her in such a state of despairing she felt it was the only way out, the only way. I do not believe she was of sound mind at the time. People are oftentimes given more than they can handle, sometimes they snap.

She posted pictures of how happy she was of Issy coming home FOUR days or so before she tried to murder her. I want to understand bu so far, all i see, is a woman who in her overwhelmed life, decided she could play God. And that ain't right friends.

Wow, what a difficult and tragic story. I read some of the blog & FB & watched one of the videos in which Issy is violent towards her mother and two others. I cannot imagine living that way for FOURTEEN YEARS. It's a sad, sad thing, yes, but I can't throw stones at this mother for doing what she did. She probably lost it, saw no other option, felt she and Issy both had come to the end of the line.
To me, it seems she was trying (IN HER MIND) to 1.) end Issy's suffering, 2.) protect her husband & remaining children from Issy, & 3.) to end her own life, along with Issy's, either because she wanted to die or because she knew that if she killed Issy, she would have to kill herself or end up in prison. Or, perhaps she was so desperate to end what looks to me like a hellish existence of struggle, violence, & pain, that she was beyond thinking rationally at all.
I can't cast judgement on this case. It may not be a popular opinion, but it is mine that I would not want a child of mine to suffer a life like Issy's, nor would I want to suffer as her mother, or watch her father suffer, or (perhaps worst of all!) watch her siblings -- helpless minor children -- suffer at their sister's hands. It would be too much. Now, I would advocate somehow giving up custody of the child over murder/suicide, but maybe the mother tried to do that & we don't know. It's not a simple thing to give up custody of a severely autistic, violent teenager, I would imagine.
What a sad, sad case. I feel sad for everyone involved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back