Found Deceased MI - Kristin Gromoske, 17, Menominee, 8 Nov 2019

How could someone get lost between the Stateline Mini Mart and the Interstate Bridge?

If she went over the bridge into the water, where did she end up? It seems unlikely that she was on the bridge. She would have to walk quite a ways to get to a place where she'd land in the water and no one saw her on the bridge.

upload_2019-11-17_22-26-25.png

upload_2019-11-17_22-26-6.png

upload_2019-11-17_22-26-43.png

upload_2019-11-17_22-26-58.png

upload_2019-11-17_22-27-24.png

How could someone get lost between the Stateline Mini Mart and the Interstate Bridge?

If she went over the bridge into the water, where did she end up? It seems unlikely that she was on the bridge. She would have to walk quite a ways to get to a place where she'd land in the water and no one saw her on the bridge.

View attachment 215928

View attachment 215927

View attachment 215929

View attachment 215930

View attachment 215931

She may have been picked up by someone, or, she went down the embankment to the water.

JMVHO.

Also, according to the below-linked article, LE doesn't feel she crossed the bridge.

St. Martin said police seem pretty certain Gromoske didn’t cross the bridge. “There are cameras on the Interstate Bridge, and the cameras didn’t see her walking on the bridge, so she maybe went under the bridge, which from there, there are many places you could go,” she said.

Menominee teen girl still missing

On the offhand chance that she wandered to the water or fell over the bridge, given that the water is shallow - where might she go into the water, where might she end up?

View attachment 215933

View attachment 215934

Just as an example of how swift river currents can be, I grew up with a river basically in my back yard. We were forbidden to swim in it, because of the fast current.

One time, before I had any common sense (teenager), a friend and I took a short cut in winter. We walked over this same river, and I remember our footprints sinking in the snow.

NOT a wise thing to do!

JMVHO.

Just as an example of how swift river currents can be, I grew up with a river basically in my back yard. We were forbidden to swim in it, because of the fast current.

One time, before I had any common sense (teenager), a friend and I took a short cut in winter. We walked over this same river, and I remember our footprints sinking in the snow.

NOT a wise thing to do!

JMVHO.

Most people think that because a river is only 3-4 feet deep, it is safe, not realizing that fast current or cold water temperature are deadly.

I don't think Kristen took a swim, but I do think that if she chose to go into the water she would be well downstream after 6 days.

There's another unsolved case of a teacher who went to the river in the middle of the night and washed up downstream. The water was similarly shallow, but her injuries indicated murder. She was found the morning after she was last seen, but who knows how it works if a body has been in the water for 7 days.

Just tossing ideas out ...

There's a comment about a phone call at 8:04AM on Saturday morning. That is the last time that the phone pinged. There's also a comment that she said that she didn't know where she was, but we know that she was at the Stateline Mini Mart at 8:04AM. How could she not know where she is? That location is 30 minutes from her home.

There's another comment that she was carrying a grocery bag, she was near the bridge but did not cross the bridge.

If she's carrying a grocery bag, presumably from the Mini Mart, and walking towards the bridge, phoning someone stating that she doesn't know where she is, what happened next? Her phone stopped working and she vanished. Why?

What is the big picture here? Was she with someone at the Mini Mart, she wandered off with the groceries, made a call, the person she was with drove up, and poof, she's gone?

Has the family been able to find anyone that she was with on the night of November 8 after 7:15PM?

View attachment 215900

View attachment 215901
Well, there's been two cases on here where a couple of woman had similar issues of not knowing where they were and ended up deceased. One was found about a month or so after she went missing, not too far from her boyfriend's vehicle off of some country road. Another was found parked in a neighborhood in San Jose, Ca and she was found in the back seat of her rental car.

It makes me wonder what's going on with several women having similar episodes in such a short period of time, yet none of them are related to each other. Foul play did not occur in the two cases I just mentioned in my above paragraph.

I hope Kristin is found safe soon.

Took some pictures this morning. First few are on the Menominee side of the bridge. The other side of the water is pretty much industrial. The last couple pictures are from marinette (& on opposite side of the water). I’m thinking i doubt she walked under the bridge, but maybe crossed the street before the bridge camera could pick her up, and possibly took the walking bridge over to Stephenson island. It was so cold, but there is a park and pavilions there I guess she maybe could have gone to. There is also a museum but i don’t think it’s currently open. Also the tourist center but they probably weren’t open either, as well as the library if she did walk that direction. Also the water is iced over. Some open spots, & not frozen good where I’d think anyone local would know better than to try to walk on it, but that’s all just my opinion. But maybe if they do think that may have happened, it could be another explanation as to why there aren’t any searches. Waters frozen over, for the most part. Big open area under the foot bridge and I assume closer to Hattie st bridge area as there are active dams so that usually freezes a bit later.
ETA: I rarely take Hattie st bridge so I drove down there. Dams appear open and water is not frozen once you get less than halfway between interstate and Hattie bridges. May not be relevant but there is a ‘train bridge’ (not sure of the technical term), about 1/2 way between the interstate and Hattie st bridges. I can remember being young and stupid probably between 8th grade and turning 16, and we would sometimes walk (RUN!) across the train bridge. At night it was especially fun (dumb!) because the area was creepy at night & you could hear the train whistle blowing before you could see it coming so it was a bit of a rush. I have never heard of anyone getting hit by the train on that bridge, and I would think it would have been reported if something like that happened. But not knowing her state of mind, the possibility of her falling off That bridge and No one noticing Comes to mind.

eta2: pictures posted in the wrong order. 1st, 4th, & 5th are the ones i folk from Menominee (were you can see quite a bit of grass and some train cars). 2nd & 3rd are the ones I took from marinette near Stephenson island. Took from the library parking lot looking toward Stephenson island.

Attachments

• 926187B3-890D-4796-9042-F2E9CB63A895.jpeg
    926187B3-890D-4796-9042-F2E9CB63A895.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 0F8C0DAB-A0BB-47AA-A0E0-DD93711A30AC.jpeg
    0F8C0DAB-A0BB-47AA-A0E0-DD93711A30AC.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 65
  • E5DD1018-043E-49F3-9CDE-094832E4E371.jpeg
    E5DD1018-043E-49F3-9CDE-094832E4E371.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 7EE0113C-E02C-46C5-A905-334E1C260A55.jpeg
    7EE0113C-E02C-46C5-A905-334E1C260A55.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 67
  • E2F32FB3-8EAB-400E-9666-913C49F29A32.jpeg
    E2F32FB3-8EAB-400E-9666-913C49F29A32.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Most people think that because a river is only 3-4 feet deep, it is safe, not realizing that fast current or cold water temperature are deadly.

I don't think Kristen took a swim, but I do think that if she chose to go into the water she would be well downstream after 6 days.

There's another unsolved case of a teacher who went to the river in the middle of the night and washed up downstream. The water was similarly shallow, but her injuries indicated murder. She was found the morning after she was last seen, but who knows how it works if a body has been in the water for 7 days.

Agree; spot on.

View attachment 215928

View attachment 215927

View attachment 215929

View attachment 215930

View attachment 215931
I don’t understand either. The distance from Stateline to the bridge is considerably less than even just the length of the bridge. (Photos takes Saturday night).

Attachments

• F5F0242A-A16C-4362-A1B8-FAA955B836C3.jpeg
    F5F0242A-A16C-4362-A1B8-FAA955B836C3.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 855885AE-8CAF-44D0-8ACF-0776124BB794.jpeg
    855885AE-8CAF-44D0-8ACF-0776124BB794.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 23
On the offhand chance that she wandered to the water or fell over the bridge, given that the water is shallow - where might she go into the water, where might she end up?

View attachment 215933

View attachment 215934
Attaching some articles from drownings I can remember to google for some example of where the bodies of victims who drowned in the Menominee River were eventually found.
Body of man who drowned after boat capsized found in bay near Oconto, sheriff says
The body of a man who couldn’t be found after a boat capsized on the Menominee River a month ago was found Wednesday in the waters of Green Bay, according to the Oconto County Sheriff’s Office.
Tart went missing on April 29 when a boat with two men overturned near Stephenson Island on the Wisconsin side of the river about 10:20 a.m.

Marinette man, 34, drowns near Menominee marina – Twin Cities
(The Menominee marina is the water that first street runs next to. One side of first street is beaches, docks, lighthouse, Pier, and some
Big beautiful waterfront homes. This one happened in 2012
Menominee police Chief Brett Botbyl says rescue crews pulled the man from the water near the Menominee marina Monday night, and he died Tuesday morning at St. Vincent Hospital in Green Bay, Wis.
Botbyl tells the EagleHerald of Marinette ( Man rescued from bay near marina has died) that three teenage girls walking on the breakwall at the Great Lakes Memorial Marina heard calls for help and splashing in the water outside the breakwall.

He says it was dark, and they couldn’t see anyone.
Boys find woman’s dismembered body in Menominee river
this one is a case of foul play/body was found in a tributary of the Menominee river this past summer. Not sure exactly where the body was put in, but it was found in what we call ‘little river’ (in Menominee, mi), which comes off of the Menominee River. there may be other articles that have more info on that, just wanted to point out there are bigger bodies of water the Menominee River flows into, as well as smaller tributaries. I believe what we call ‘chapee rapids’ is also a part of this.

Canoeist drowns on Menominee River
I know the family of this man. He is from Menominee, and the drowning happened In the Menominee River, but further into MI. Goes to show though how far the river flows.
The accident happened Saturday around 3 p.m. in Lake Township. Troopers say Jerod Therriault was one of two males in the canoe when it accidentally overturned. The other occupant made it to shore.

Authorities found Therriault after a 20-minute search. He was later declared dead at Bay Area Medical Center.

Teen drowns attempting to rescue friend in Menominee River
This Menominee River drowning happened further into Michigan, too, however the article talks about the Menominee rivers strong current.
According to witnesses, several teens were swimming near the Badwater Train Bridge when one swimmer became distressed in the heavy current. Several other teens entered the current to try to help. The original swimmer made it safe to shore, but one of the teens who was attempting to help was swept away in the heavy current towards the Wisconsin side shoreline. The swimmer, identified as Bryan Christopher Stanchina, was last seen near the shoreline by the private access road to the Twin Falls Power Dam.

Boats were deployed with search teams made up of law enforcement, Breitung Township Fire Department and civilian volunteers. The Delta County Dive Team was on the scene and assisted in locating the victim in approximately 14 feet of water near the location where he was last seen.

According to reports, that part of the river had very strong currents and recovery was difficult. Search teams were eventually able to remove Stanchina from the water to the Wisconsin shoreline where he was pronounced deceased by the Florence County Coroner. He was then transported to Dickinson County Health Systems in Iron Mountain.

I have a Family member who drowned in the Menominee River when fishing, but this was a really long time ago & I couldn’t find any articles about him. He was closer to the Hattie st bridge, though.

View attachment 215933

View attachment 215934
Attaching some articles from drownings I can remember to google for some example of where the bodies of victims who drowned in the Menominee River were eventually found.
Body of man who drowned after boat capsized found in bay near Oconto, sheriff says
The body of a man who couldn’t be found after a boat capsized on the Menominee River a month ago was found Wednesday in the waters of Green Bay, according to the Oconto County Sheriff’s Office.
Tart went missing on April 29 when a boat with two men overturned near Stephenson Island on the Wisconsin side of the river about 10:20 a.m.

Marinette man, 34, drowns near Menominee marina – Twin Cities
(The Menominee marina is the water that first street runs next to. One side of first street is beaches, docks, lighthouse, Pier, and some
Big beautiful waterfront homes. This one happened in 2012
Menominee police Chief Brett Botbyl says rescue crews pulled the man from the water near the Menominee marina Monday night, and he died Tuesday morning at St. Vincent Hospital in Green Bay, Wis.
Botbyl tells the EagleHerald of Marinette ( Man rescued from bay near marina has died) that three teenage girls walking on the breakwall at the Great Lakes Memorial Marina heard calls for help and splashing in the water outside the breakwall.

He says it was dark, and they couldn’t see anyone.
Boys find woman’s dismembered body in Menominee river
this one is a case of foul play/body was found in a tributary of the Menominee river this past summer. Not sure exactly where the body was put in, but it was found in what we call ‘little river’ (in Menominee, mi), which comes off of the Menominee River. there may be other articles that have more info on that, just wanted to point out there are bigger bodies of water the Menominee River flows into, as well as smaller tributaries. I believe what we call ‘chapee rapids’ is also a part of this.

Canoeist drowns on Menominee River
I know the family of this man. He is from Menominee, and the drowning happened In the Menominee River, but further into MI. Goes to show though how far the river flows.
The accident happened Saturday around 3 p.m. in Lake Township. Troopers say Jerod Therriault was one of two males in the canoe when it accidentally overturned. The other occupant made it to shore.

Authorities found Therriault after a 20-minute search. He was later declared dead at Bay Area Medical Center.

Teen drowns attempting to rescue friend in Menominee River
This Menominee River drowning happened further into Michigan, too, however the article talks about the Menominee rivers strong current.
According to witnesses, several teens were swimming near the Badwater Train Bridge when one swimmer became distressed in the heavy current. Several other teens entered the current to try to help. The original swimmer made it safe to shore, but one of the teens who was attempting to help was swept away in the heavy current towards the Wisconsin side shoreline. The swimmer, identified as Bryan Christopher Stanchina, was last seen near the shoreline by the private access road to the Twin Falls Power Dam.

Boats were deployed with search teams made up of law enforcement, Breitung Township Fire Department and civilian volunteers. The Delta County Dive Team was on the scene and assisted in locating the victim in approximately 14 feet of water near the location where he was last seen.

According to reports, that part of the river had very strong currents and recovery was difficult. Search teams were eventually able to remove Stanchina from the water to the Wisconsin shoreline where he was pronounced deceased by the Florence County Coroner. He was then transported to Dickinson County Health Systems in Iron Mountain.

I have a Family member who drowned in the Menominee River when fishing, but this was a really long time ago & I couldn’t find any articles about him. He was closer to the Hattie st bridge, though.

About Menominee River AOC | US EPA
AOC Boundaries
The Menominee River forms the boundary between the northeast corner of Wisconsin and the southern tip of the upper peninsula of Michigan. The river's headwaters originate in both states. The main stem of the river flows between the cities of Menominee, Michigan and Marinette before emptying into Green Bay.

J@cknsal1y, Thank you so much for the photos and links! It is so helpful to understand the areas where she was last seen around the river.

Given the cold temperatures, it seems unlikely that she was outside overnight. If she was inside, then someone saw her and should be able to fill in some of the blanks.

Last edited:
That is what I assume, too. Right across the street from the library where I parked to take the pictures, there is a best western hotel. Maybe she could have met up with someone staying there initially, but I am sure that if she was staying there still or had for an extended period of time, someone would have figured it out.
J@cknsal1y, Thank you so much for the photos and links! It is so helpful to understand the areas where she was last seen around the river.

Given the cold temperatures, it seems likely that she was outside overnight. If she was inside, then someone saw her and should be able to fill in some of the blanks.

just drove over the interstate on my way home. One Menominee police vehicle parked at Stephenson island and a single officer walking the bridge toward marinette. No clue if it’s related

Hopefully, it is related to Kirstin's disappearance. Meaning nothing bad, just hoping they find where she is.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back