GUILTY MI - Lydia Ball, 30, brutally murdered, Port Huron, 18 Aug 2016

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by los2188, Aug 20, 2016.

1. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

Thank goodness Douglas was found safe. I'm so sad he has tragically lost his mum and his dad too. Hopefully family will take Douglas in and they will give him a good life.

2. krig101

krig101 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it, doesn't it?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3. krig101

RIP Douglas's mommy.

4. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

It's possible the relative didn't know what the father had done or he may have threatened to harm himself and Douglas if they called the police. We don't know what happened.

5. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes Fasten your seatbelts...

6. BetteDavisEyes

Amber Alert out of Port Huron canceled after child found safe; father arrested

Douglas Ball, 39, considered a person of interest in homicide in Port Huron

Posted: 9:01 AM, August 21, 2016
    Updated: 11:01 AM, August 21, 2016

The Oakland County Sheriff's Department assisted Port Huron Police with making the arrest around 8:30 Sunday morning. The relative of the suspect that lives in the Orion Township home will not be charged.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-been-canceled-after-the-child-was-found-safe

7. kimi_SFC

kimi_SFC Well-Known Member

Wow, I couldn't sleep so when I logged on a few hours ago, this was the first case on my feed. I'm so happy little Douglas has been #FoundSafe!

Here's more from SieSie's link:

UPDATE: Murder suspect and missing boy found in Orion Township[:i]
    [...]
    “(The suspect) will be transported back here to be interviewed and then lodged,” said Port Huron Police Lt. Roger Wesch. “The scene where it occurred has been cleared and now we are putting paperwork together for the prosecuting attorney’s office. We expect he will be arraigned Tuesday or Wednesday.”
    [...]
    http://www.thetimesherald.com/story...stigate-homicide-search-missing-boy/89063150/

He's been through so much. My heart truly goes out to this little boy, who has lost his mommy. :tears: :rose: May he receive all the support he needs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. BetteDavisEyes

Paraphrasing WWJ radio update on the case: The victim's mother apparently went looking for her daughter when she couldn't find her in the house. Not sure if the little boy lived with grandmother, as well. When victim's mother returned home, she located her deceased daughter in the basement. Boy and his father were found with relatives in a trailer park home in Lake Orion (Oakland County).

9. BetteDavisEyes

UPDATE: Homicide victim identified as Lydia Ball

Liz Shepard, Nicole Hayden and Jackie Smith, Times Herald 11:45 a.m. EDT August 21, 2016

Police located murder suspect Douglas Edwin Ball Jr. and his son, the 5-year-old missing Port Huron boy, in Orion Township Sunday morning.

Police began searching for the 5-year-old boy, Douglas Edwin Ball III, after discovering his mother dead Saturday afternoon in a house in the 1200 block of Rawlins Street in Port Huron.

Port Huron Public Safety Director Michael Reaves identified the homicide victim as 30-year-old Lydia Ball.

Her husband, Douglas Ball Jr., was arrested around 8:30 a.m. Sunday after a tactical team forced entry into the suspect's estranged mother's Orion Township home, Reaves said.

Their 5-year-old son was rescued from the home prior to his arrest...

http://www.thetimesherald.com/story...stigate-homicide-search-missing-boy/89063150/

10. DatelineFan

DatelineFan Well-Known Member

Yes. Do we have a thread for her?

11. philippa26

philippa26 New Member

So glad he was found. Poor boy has been through so much, praying for him.
    Rip Lydia. Such a sad story [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BetteDavisEyes

13. BetteDavisEyes

Homicide victim identified as Lydia Ball

Liz Shepard, Nicole Hayden and Jackie Smith, Times Herald 11:45 a.m. EDT August 21, 2016

Police located murder suspect Douglas Edwin Ball Jr. and his son, the 5-year-old missing Port Huron boy, in Orion Township Sunday morning.

Police began searching for the 5-year-old boy, Douglas Edwin Ball III, after discovering his mother dead Saturday afternoon in a house in the 1200 block of Rawlins Street in Port Huron.

Port Huron Public Safety Director Michael Reaves identified the homicide victim as 30-year-old Lydia Ball.

Her husband, Douglas Ball Jr., was arrested around 8:30 a.m. Sunday after a tactical team forced entry into the suspect's estranged mother's Orion Township home, Reaves said.

Their 5-year-old son was rescued from the home prior to his arrest...

Victim was found murdered during an Amber Alert for her son who was taken by his father.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...LERT-Douglas-Ball-5-Port-Huron-20-August-2016

14. DatelineFan

DatelineFan Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

15. krig101

Thanks BDE!

16. BetteDavisEyes

5-Year-Old Boy Whose Mother Was Killed Is Found Safe

August 21, 2016 11:48 AM

ORION TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) – Police say a 5-year-old boy who was reported missing after his mother was found dead in a Port Huron home has been found safe.

Port Huron police say they found the boy with his father about 8:30 a.m. Sunday in Orion Township in Oakland County. Police Lt. Joel Wood says the father was taken into custody and was being questioned. He did not know if he has hired an attorney...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/08/21/5-year-old-boy-whose-mother-was-killed-is-cound-safe/

I have so many questions about this case. Did both parents and the boy live with Lydia's parents? Did Lydia live with her parents because she and her husband were separated or divorced? Who was Douglas, Jr.'s custodial parent if both parents didn't live together with the grandparents? Were there custody and/or child support issues? I'm sure we'll learn more in the coming days as the case unfolds. I'm glad the little guy is safe and hope he's placed with relatives or friends who will provide comfort and support in the wake of this horrible situation.

17. SieSie

SieSie Active Member

Kinda O/T:
    At 6:31 p.m. tonight (Sunday evening) my husband and I FINALLY received an Amber Alert on our cell phones. Thankfully, I already knew (thanks to FB and Click on Detroit) that little Douglas was found safe and the Dad was in custody - but that's not what the Amber Alert said on our phones - it made it seem like it was ongoing/current! I don't understand why some people in/around Ann Arbor would receive an Amber Alert before someone like me who is only 20 - 30 minutes from Port Huron!!

What can we do about the Amber Alert system on cell phones so that we (local) get them in a timely manner and can try to make a difference and be on the lookout for the suspect and/or child?

18. BetteDavisEyes

19. krig101

So sad :(

20. tlcya

tlcya Old and Tired Websleuth

Douglas Edwin Ball Jr. is expected to be arraigned this week after police located the homicide suspect and his son, the 5-year-old missing Port Huron boy, in Orion Township Sunday morning.

[...]

Reaves said the cause of death for Lydia Ball is not being released. He said the motive behind the killing and abduction is still under investigation. An autopsy will be conducted on Lydia Ball this week and the case will be presented to the St. Clair County Prosecutor's Office for charges. An arraignment for Douglas Ball is expected Tuesday or Wednesday.