GUILTY MI - Madeline Kafoury, 63, dead, 2 injured in Troy office shooting, 9 April 2007

ljwf22

Reality continues to ruin my life.
Reaction score
TROY, Mich. - A gunman shot three people at a suburban Detroit office building Monday morning, police said.

The victims' conditions weren't immediately known, and officers were searching the building for the shooter, said Troy police Lt. Gerry Scherlinck.

Witnesses told Detroit broadcast stations that the shooter was a former employee of an accounting firm inside the building.

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070409/ap_on_re_us/office_shooting

Anthony LaCalamita is still being searched for, is my understanding.

i wonder what made him do it?

so he may have had his employment terminated a week ago. but what has got into people to think this could be suitable retribution?

They got the suspect. From the Detroit Free Press: "A gunman who shot three people, killing one, around 10 this morning at an office building in Troy was captured near Saginaw.
The vehicle police were searching for was stopped on I-75 by the Genessee County Sherriff's Office and a long gun was recovered. The man inside the car did not have identification and was not cooperating with police, said Troy police Lt. Gerry Scherlinck.

“He has been caught. He is in custody,” said State Police Trooper Troy Bonadurer from the Flint post."
Link: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070409/NEWS03/70409016

I'm wondering why this post hasn't got more replies because, when you think about it, a shooting in a workplace is really shocking. or isn't it anymore? has it become so commonplace? i'm really not jumping on posters, but am making an observation about life today.

i'm nicking two posts from this thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1421290

they say what i think might apply to this case also. is it that the man couldn't deal with losing his job due to social pressure he simply is not equipped to deal with? these two posters say it better than i can:

(warning: rant alert!)...

things like this have always happened, but if there's an increase it's because of the fact that there are just more people in the world.

and along with that, i believe it is often caused by a combination of 2 things:

1) testosterone poisoning of males (what you said about 'something in the meat', glitch.. may not be too far off. which is why i only eat free-range, HORMONE-FREE meat & dairy products...)

2) and also the overwhelming stress of modern life... everyone it seems now is a slave to debt.. they gotta have the 2.5 children and the house they can't afford, and jobs don't pay crap anymore so people have a harder time keeping up and coping with the pressures and expenses. extended families are all broken up or estranged and there is often little to no familial help or support. most modern jobs just suck. trafifc sucks, there is too much overcrowding (see the part about everyone wanting to have 2.5 kids-- or, more). the economy sucks, this stupid administration sucks, this stupid war sucks, taxes suck, many people are on drugs (legal or illegal) which also sucks, everything involves too much red tape and beauracracy.. and everything is tele-recorded and it's impossible to get a hold of a real human being anymore. and even if you can, chances are they're in india & you can't understand what the !@#$* they're saying.

on top of that, relationships are difficult.. and this is often what sends people over the edge. i also think these are the first few generations that have grown up raised on TV, while their moms were doing housework or working or whatever, and there has been too much violence and overstimulation and not enough real-life socialization. so kids now learn at an early age that everything gets solved with violence, and oftentimes boys/men don't learn how to treat women very well. in other words kids don't grow up seeing a lot of healthy relationships, so they have nothing to go by. also lots of divorces. then again, there's always been unhealthy relationships.. and it's not like getting divorced is worse than staying together and being miserable and tormenting your kid. but,, the thing that makes it different is that in many ways life is tougher now. things were simpler in the past, not necessarily easier, just simpler. so the increase in complexity & difficulty is what causes too much strain on modern relationships, often to the breaking point.

i envy the generation that got to live their childhood, teenage years & early life in the post-WW2 years.. that must have been a great time to grow up. a lot of people from that era seem to have this certain optimism, and i have seen so many couples who married around that time who had a good life, lived in good homes (and many times stayed in the same home they bought then, for the rest of their lives. very unlike today!), had good steady jobs, and stayed together happily until old age. things were modern enough and there were enough advancements in health and medicine to keep people healthy, the govt. seemed to be a lot more on the side of the people (think FDR-- social security, WPA/PWA/CCC etc).. and yet there was that pre-computer era simplicity and serenity.. things weren't as crowded, pollution hadn't done as much damage, development had not yet overdeveloped and small towns were not yet spoiled by overbuilding of highways and endless traffic. now all this has reversed, and on top of that, it seems like our own govt is more & more the enemy every day.. in the early days of our country everyone had a chance to be successful depending on your ingenuity and how hard you work. now it seems our system is geared to make us all cogs in a huge machine that is out of our control... and it is so much harder to be successful unless you are already rich and have endless capital. immigrants who come here still fall for that "american dream" myth but when they get here they don't realize, there may be more opportunities & a higher standard of life here.. but it is also very difficult and competitive now... and the increase in the rich/poor gap is growing every day. which baffles me,, because that was suposed to be the whole premise of ths founding of this country. to avoid the class system.. and here we are right back in it, more than ever!
overall, it is more clear to me every day how the 1880s- 1950's were definitely the golden era of the US.

and i don't mean to be 100% idealistic and nostaligic about the recent past... in some ways we have it better now, and in some ways they had it worse then. so yeah, i know that. my point is what is making things to complicated and difficult now to make so many people snap and do thing like kill their families and themselves.............????

I agree completely with everything Reb and the others have said. I believe there is one more level to what is happening in our society that hasn't been explored yet. Most of the perpetrators of these horrendous crimes are the children and products of the parents who grew up in that earlier, more simple time. I believe that we have raised a generation of people with the parental focus being one which made sure they had great "self esteem". We have even had our employer's provide us with training for "self-motivation", and techniques to "win-win-win". I believe in the process of discovering "their selves", this generation of people have lost the ability to feel compassion for others. I also believe they have lost the ability to be gracious losers. If your marriage fails, or you loose your job, you need to deal with it. Move on, pick up the pieces and get on with life. Apparently, a lot of people can't move on. They don't have the coping skills to survive loosing and they can't emotionally process failure. I know our parents had good intentions when they taught us to feel good about ourselves, but I think more people should have been allowed to fail, and in the process learn to cope. As a parent, one of the hardest things has been letting my children loose and fail at some things....but I have seen the development of character and maturity that only failure and disappointment can bring.

society is, in that well known phrase, "going to hell in a handbasket".

more about the case involving Anthony LaCalamita:

Officers found a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun and three live shells in the vehicle, Pickell said. Witnesses said the shooter used a shotgun or a rifle, Troy police Lt. Gerry Scherlinck said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3022958

I'm wondering why this post hasn't got more replies because, when you think about it, a shooting in a workplace is really shocking. or isn't it anymore? has it become so commonplace? i'm really not jumping on posters, but am making an observation about life today.

I am shocked by the escalation of violence everywhere these days. We just installed a second set of doors where I work and everyone has to be buzzed in just as a security measure. Maybe if this thread were in "Up to the Minute" perhaps? :waitasec:

I am shocked by the escalation of violence everywhere these days. We just installed a second set of doors where I work and everyone has to be buzzed in just as a security measure. Maybe if this thread were in "Up to the Minute" perhaps? :waitasec:

Naah. definitely a crime in the news, ljwf22. i fear it is that this type of violence is now so commonplace it simply is unremarkable anymore. :(

seems as though this chap is a regular guy: he splits up with his wife, gets fired from his job, goes out and shoots a few people.

How auditor's life unraveled

Anthony LaCalamita III's life was coming undone.
He had been losing money in his real estate investments. Three weeks ago, he and his wife separated. Last week, he was fired from his job as an auditor at a Troy accounting firm.

On Monday morning, according to police and witnesses, LaCalamita burst into the offices of his former employer and opened fire with a shotgun, killing one employee and wounding two others.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070410/METRO/704100359/1009

His father, also named Anthony LaCalamita, declined comment after learning of the shootings.

"So you're telling me my son shot three people?" he said from his home in Orlando, Fla.

and here appears to be a step by step account of the incident:

'He's got a gun!'

"I heard one employee screaming, 'He's got a gun. He's got a gun.' ... It was a panic. No one knew what to do. No one knew where to go."

http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/041007/loc_20070410001.shtml

It could be any one of us who were the victim of this type of crime from someone who clearly was at the end of his tether. very scary. :(

Anthony LaCalamita III Charged with murder:

A fired accountant bought a shotgun the day after he lost his job, then returned to the office the following week and opened fire on his bosses, wounding both and killing a receptionist, police said Wednesday at his arraignment.

As Whiteside talked in court, Kafoury's adult daughter Charlene sobbed uncontrollably, holding a picture of her mother.
"She didn't do it. She didn't fire him," she sobbed.
"She wasn't just a receptionist. ... She was our mom and the grandmother of our children," Kafoury's son, Charlie, said after the hearing. "She was an essential point of our lives."

http://www.kentucky.com/513/story/39992.html

So here we are, several days later, anguishing over 32 deaths on a Virginia campus. i very much hope in the future such (with more victims) a thing won't be passed over the same way as what Anthony LaCalamita III in his former workplace achieved?

:(

do we have compassion fatigue? :(

So here we are, several days later, anguishing over 32 deaths on a Virginia campus. i very much hope in the future such (with more victims) a thing won't be passed over the same way as what Anthony LaCalamita III in his former workplace achieved?

:(

do we have compassion fatigue? :(
I must admit, I rarely come to this part of the forum (Crimes in the News) because it's so depressing. I stay in the Jury Room, Up to the Minute and cases that interest me. Anyway, my point is, please don't feel that we're not as compassionate because only one person died here as opposed to the VT shootings - maybe others haven't seen this thread either?

Actually, I live in Michigan and hadn't even heard of this story until signing in to read about the VT tragedy. When I saw the title of this thread, I had to click. My prayers for everyone affected by this senseless violence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back