GUILTY MI - Madeline Kafoury, 63, dead, 2 injured in Troy office shooting, 9 April 2007

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by ljwf22, Apr 9, 2007.

1. ljwf22

ljwf22 Reality continues to ruin my life.

TROY, Mich. - A gunman shot three people at a suburban Detroit office building Monday morning, police said.

The victims' conditions weren't immediately known, and officers were searching the building for the shooter, said Troy police Lt. Gerry Scherlinck.

Witnesses told Detroit broadcast stations that the shooter was a former employee of an accounting firm inside the building.

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070409/ap_on_re_us/office_shooting

2. Loading...

3. Floh

Floh Former Member

Anthony LaCalamita is still being searched for, is my understanding.

i wonder what made him do it?

so he may have had his employment terminated a week ago. but what has got into people to think this could be suitable retribution?

4. Floh

Floh Former Member

5. ljwf22

They got the suspect. From the Detroit Free Press: "A gunman who shot three people, killing one, around 10 this morning at an office building in Troy was captured near Saginaw.
    The vehicle police were searching for was stopped on I-75 by the Genessee County Sherriff's Office and a long gun was recovered. The man inside the car did not have identification and was not cooperating with police, said Troy police Lt. Gerry Scherlinck.

“He has been caught. He is in custody,” said State Police Trooper Troy Bonadurer from the Flint post."
    Link: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070409/NEWS03/70409016

6. Floh

Floh Former Member

I'm wondering why this post hasn't got more replies because, when you think about it, a shooting in a workplace is really shocking. or isn't it anymore? has it become so commonplace? i'm really not jumping on posters, but am making an observation about life today.

i'm nicking two posts from this thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1421290

they say what i think might apply to this case also. is it that the man couldn't deal with losing his job due to social pressure he simply is not equipped to deal with? these two posters say it better than i can:

society is, in that well known phrase, "going to hell in a handbasket".

more about the case involving Anthony LaCalamita:

Officers found a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun and three live shells in the vehicle, Pickell said. Witnesses said the shooter used a shotgun or a rifle, Troy police Lt. Gerry Scherlinck said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3022958

7. ljwf22

I am shocked by the escalation of violence everywhere these days. We just installed a second set of doors where I work and everyone has to be buzzed in just as a security measure. Maybe if this thread were in "Up to the Minute" perhaps? :waitasec:

8. Floh

Floh Former Member

Naah. definitely a crime in the news, ljwf22. i fear it is that this type of violence is now so commonplace it simply is unremarkable anymore. :(

seems as though this chap is a regular guy: he splits up with his wife, gets fired from his job, goes out and shoots a few people.

How auditor's life unraveled

Anthony LaCalamita III's life was coming undone.
    He had been losing money in his real estate investments. Three weeks ago, he and his wife separated. Last week, he was fired from his job as an auditor at a Troy accounting firm.

On Monday morning, according to police and witnesses, LaCalamita burst into the offices of his former employer and opened fire with a shotgun, killing one employee and wounding two others.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070410/METRO/704100359/1009

His father, also named Anthony LaCalamita, declined comment after learning of the shootings.

"So you're telling me my son shot three people?" he said from his home in Orlando, Fla.

and here appears to be a step by step account of the incident:

'He's got a gun!'

"I heard one employee screaming, 'He's got a gun. He's got a gun.' ... It was a panic. No one knew what to do. No one knew where to go."

http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/041007/loc_20070410001.shtml

It could be any one of us who were the victim of this type of crime from someone who clearly was at the end of his tether. very scary. :(

9. Floh

Floh Former Member

Anthony LaCalamita III Charged with murder:

A fired accountant bought a shotgun the day after he lost his job, then returned to the office the following week and opened fire on his bosses, wounding both and killing a receptionist, police said Wednesday at his arraignment.

As Whiteside talked in court, Kafoury's adult daughter Charlene sobbed uncontrollably, holding a picture of her mother.
    "She didn't do it. She didn't fire him," she sobbed.
    "She wasn't just a receptionist. ... She was our mom and the grandmother of our children," Kafoury's son, Charlie, said after the hearing. "She was an essential point of our lives."

http://www.kentucky.com/513/story/39992.html

10. Floh

Floh Former Member

So here we are, several days later, anguishing over 32 deaths on a Virginia campus. i very much hope in the future such (with more victims) a thing won't be passed over the same way as what Anthony LaCalamita III in his former workplace achieved?

:(

do we have compassion fatigue? :(

11. SieSie

SieSie Active Member

I must admit, I rarely come to this part of the forum (Crimes in the News) because it's so depressing. I stay in the Jury Room, Up to the Minute and cases that interest me. Anyway, my point is, please don't feel that we're not as compassionate because only one person died here as opposed to the VT shootings - maybe others haven't seen this thread either?

Actually, I live in Michigan and hadn't even heard of this story until signing in to read about the VT tragedy. When I saw the title of this thread, I had to click. My prayers for everyone affected by this senseless violence.

12. joe jones

joe jones New Member

13. joe jones

joe jones New Member

14. joe jones

joe jones New Member

15. joe jones

joe jones New Member

16. joe jones

joe jones New Member

17. joe jones

joe jones New Member