MI MI - Nadine O'Dell, 15, Inkster, 16 Aug 1974

Discussion in '1970's Missing' started by Richard, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

Nadine O'Dell
    Missing since August 16, 1974 from Inkster, Wayne County, Michigan
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    [​IMG]
    Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: March 14, 1958
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 105 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Strawberry blonde hair; green eyes.
    Clothing: White t-shirt with blue faded baggy jeans.
    She was wearing her boyfriends Taylor High School ring on a chain around her neck.

Circumstances of Disappearance

O'Dell was last seen shortly after 9:30 a.m. walking down John Daly Road toward Michigan Avenue in Inkster, Michigan on August 16, 1974.

On this day, Nadine was going to baby sit at her boyfriends house. She never showed up at her destination in Taylor. Her boyfriend was on the way to meet her and arrived 20 later and did not cross paths with her.

Investigators If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Inkster Police Department 313-563-9850

Source Information:
    The Doe Network: Case File 1589DFMI

LINK:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1589dfmi.html

2. Loading...

3. Richard

Bumping case up...

4. forthelost

forthelost I hear the angels call my name and I am Winterborn

5. Richard

Nadine is still missing after 35 years.

6. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

7. Richard

Nadine Jean O'Dell
    Missing since August 16, 1974 from Inkster, Wayne County, Michigan
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: March 14, 1958
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 105 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Strawberry blonde hair; green eyes.
    Clothing: White t-shirt with blue faded baggy jeans. She was wearing her boyfriends Taylor High School ring on a chain around her neck.
    DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

O'Dell was last seen shortly after 09:30, walking down John Daly Road toward Michigan Avenue in Inkster, Michigan on August 16, 1974.

On this day, Nadine was going to baby sit at her boyfriends house. She never showed up at her destination in Taylor.

Her boyfriend was on the way to meet her and arrived 20 later and did not cross paths with her.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Inkster Police Department
    313-563-9850

Agency Case Number: 05-3632

NCMEC #: 1138429

Please refer to this number when contacting this agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    The Doe Network
    NamUs
    The Doe Network: Case File 1589DFMI

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1589dfmi.html

8. Frank57

Frank57 New Member

Just to Let you Know That Nadine Did Not have any Tattoos or did Not Have any teeth work done

9. Marilynilpa

Marilynilpa New Member

Thank you for that information, it is helpful when we try to match unidentified victims with missing persons.

Do you have any additional info on Nadine's disappearance?

10. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Tonight, I was watching an episode of Evil-I on the ID Channel that I had saved on my DVR. It was about serial killer Carl ("Coral") Eugene Watts.

Coral Watts' M.O. was to randomly attack and murder women and young girls, almost always attractive and Caucasian. Watts was African American. Most of his crimes took place in either Michigan or the Houston TX area.

Frequently, he would spot his victims walking down the street, and he would murder them without any evidence of sexual assault. Often he would murder his victims right at the spot that he encountered them, but on the Evil-I episode, they did allude to other victims whose bodies had not been found at the time of his arrest. He confessed to many of his murders, but police suspect that there were many more to which he didn't confess. He died in 2007 of prostate cancer.

When asked if he could count on his fingers the number of victims, he told the three detectives that there weren't enough fingers and toes in the room to count his victims. The implication was that he had killed more than 80 victims.

After watching the episode, I looked up his Wikipedia page.

Carl Eugene Watts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What jumped out at me from the Wiki page was that he lived in Inkster, MI and his killing spree began in 1974.

I immediately thought of Nadine O'Dell, since she was a young attractive Caucasian woman last seen walking through her hometown of Inkster MI in August 1974. This would seem to fit perfectly to Watts' M.O.

Mysteries1974 likes this.
  11. Auramyst

Auramyst Member

Great catch!

I wonder if detectives in MI have determined that this is what happened to poor Nadine. I can't imagine the anguish her family has suffered during all these years of not knowing what happened to Nadine.

12. Richard

Watts moved from Michigan to Texas in 1981. In 1982, three Texas women disappeared and six others were found murdered. Watts got 60 years in a plea bargain and as part of his deal, led investigators to where he hid the three missing women. One was a 14 year-old girl, Emily LaQua of Brookshire, TX.

So, yes, Watts killed (many) women and hid the bodies of some of them. It is possible that he also murdered Nadine, but there has never been any evidence linking him to her disappearance.

13. Jan

Jan New Member

I found this interesting because Inkster, MI, is where the kennel is where we go to get some of our foster dogs. I have heard of Watts before and his murders. I wonder if he killed the girl, and if he did, where he put the body. Where did he put the bodies of his other victims? Did he bury them? They have never caught the Oakland County Child Killer either (Michigan) after all these years. That happened in the early 70's, right?

14. Richard

You ask a very good question regarding how and where Watts hid three of his victims. Texas authorities would be the ones to ask about that. Since Michigan never identified him as a suspect in cases of disappearance/kidnapping, they probably never asked Texas LE about this.

It is true that the Oakland County Child Killer has never been identified or caught. There is a separate thread (a rather long one) in the Cold Case topic section of Websleuths. A number of child murders were linked to a single serial killer in the 1970's, but in those cases, all of the children's bodies were found in open areas. It was obvious that he wanted his victims to be found quickly.

15. heptgb

heptgb New Member

I never see coverage about this case on any of the cold case programs or ID channel, etc. This girl was only 16, I'm surprised she doesn't get more coverage. Surely after 35+ years, something has to have turned up...I'm guessing she has an UI out there...

16. Frank57

Frank57 New Member

August 16, tomorrow, it will be 40 years That Nadine Went Missing, I Still in my heart Know that this Torn family Knows What Happened to Her, Someone Just doesn't dissaperes off the face of the Earth, And tomorrow is also a Saturday,it was in 1974,~God Bless Her~

17. MagnoliaMountain

MagnoliaMountain Red Rose

Bumping this case up.

18. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The 1974 Santa Fe NM Jane Doe (407UFNM) is supposedly close to being identified (if they can locate her body). The description of the girl who is possibly a match very closely fits Nadine O'Dell (except the age).

http://krqe.com/2014/12/03/new-details-emerge-in-40-year-old-cold-case/

http://doenetwork.org/cases/407ufnm.html

The state, year, and circumstances match Nadine perfectly. I suspect that they are talking about Nadine, and misstated her age.

They are crediting the call-in to DoeNet, adding that the call-in occurred "about a year ago".

I had called in this possible match back in June 2010, and I have it documented in the Jane Doe's thread in the Unidentified forum.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?106709

19. Frank57

Frank57 New Member

Nadine was only 15 when she went Missing, what kind of ring was found

20. Frank57

Frank57 New Member

Just To let You Know, Nadine Never wore Ear Rings or any Jewlery But My Ring around her Neck, She was a Tomboy at heart and Didn't care for that kind of stuff,She was Plain,simple,and Tuff!! Id be really surprised By any Thing Else

21. Skigirl

Skigirl Verified expert in neuroscience