GUILTY MI - Officer critical after stabbing at Bishop International Airport in Flint, June 2017 *arrest*

What you observe, what you see in your city and what you see on the news might not be the best way to assess how unhappy or happy immigrants are to be here.

According to figures from the Department of Homeland Security, 1.05 million immigrants were granted permanent residence in the US in 2015.

Refugees (2015 numbers) 69,920 total: 12,676 came from Iraq, while 8,858 were from Somalia, 3,109 were from Iran, 1,682 were from Syria, 1,578 from Sudan and just 16 came from Yemen.

In 2015 the total number of Muslims 3.3 million (some are immigrants, some are citizens)

From NCSL:
Total U.S. population 319 million
Total foreign-born population 42 million (13%) (So far I can't find a happiness study on the 42 million though.)

I know this seems off-topic for this thread, but I think the implication (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you think Muslim immigrants are unhappy to be here, which (IMO) is on-topic because the man who did this wasn't American, and it helps to know the facts if we're discussing Muslims and terrorism and immigrations to the USA.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/01/trump-immigration-ban-terrorism/514361/

I'm not sharing this to argue with anyone. I know we're all upset about this attack and any terrorist attack no matter who is responsible. But if we know the facts maybe it will help us be less afraid. We can hope. I'm going to Europe in September and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit afraid, and I've been thinking how to best avoid big crowds.

I wish there was a happiness study, lol.

Blue, I sincerely appreciate your contribution here and I don't get an argument vibe at all. The world has changed, seemingly abruptly, it's no wonder that we're reeling, trying to wrap our minds around it.

This is why I question whether or not the proposed travel ban would truly be helpful. There are already plenty of would-be terrorists living in the U.S. Many are here legally; some are citizens. How extensive were vetting procedures when these potential terrorists arrived in our country?

I'm :scared: to leave the house any more. There really doesn't seem to be anywhere one can go without fearing that someone will bomb, shoot, stab in the name of religion. :banghead:

The fear you feel is instilled in you by the media and government, who both handle each attack as though it's the worst thing that's ever happened to humanity. If you're afraid to leave your house due to possibility of terrorist activity, tell me are you afraid of driving your car for fear of accidents? Walking? Suffocation? Forces of Nature?

https://www.juancole.com/2016/03/30...sm-annually-while-130000-die-by-accident.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/death-risk-statistics-terrorism-disease-accidents-2017-1
bi-graphicsodds of dying.jpg

The fear you feel is instilled in you by the media and government, who both handle each attack as though it's the worst thing that's ever happened to humanity. If you're afraid to leave your house due to possibility of terrorist activity, tell me are you afraid of driving your car for fear of accidents? Walking? Suffocation? Forces of Nature?

No, my "fear" isn't instilled in me by the media or government. It's disconcerting when irrational people go on these insane rampages wherever and whenever they want. There doesn't seem to be anywhere we can go where we can feel safe from one of these maniacs. And, no, I'm not afraid of any of the things you mention. My comment was meant to be rhetorical and facetious, and I'm sure you know that. :rolleyes:

No, my "fear" isn't instilled in me by the media or government. It's disconcerting when irrational people go on these insane rampages wherever and whenever they want. There doesn't seem to be anywhere we can go where we can feel safe from one of these maniacs. And, no, I'm not afraid of any of the things you mention. My comment was meant to be rhetorical and facetious, and I'm sure you know that. :rolleyes:

All things, considered, I really didn't know whether you were being serious or not.

Interesting how so many people on this site imagine no members are Muslims.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...es-music-store-in-montreal-forced-to-relocate
"I can say that the knife was purchased in the United States, somewhere along his trip from New York," Gelios said.

"The reason I give that information — I think it's a good news story that we have an individual who attempted to buy a gun in the United States and was unsuccessful."

Ftouhi told court officials that he has lived in Canada for a decade and has three children.

"He said he was working off and on as a truck driver. Last worked about two weeks ago," Linsey Carson, a court pretrial services officer, told a judge. "He indicated no mental or physical health problems and no drug or alcohol use."
'Atypical' profile

Ftouhi's Facebook page, which hasn't been updated since 2016, shed little light on his views.

The only posts in the past few years were two YouTube videos in Arabic — one about methods of memorizing the Qur'an and another about how to stop somebody from swallowing their tongue.
"The profile is a bit atypical," said David Morin, a professor at Sherbrooke University and co-director of the Observatory on Radicalization and Violent Extremism, adding that Ftouhi had apparently passed "completely under the radar" of law enforcement.

rbbm.

He spat! Disgusting piggy-like behavior,imo.
http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...le-survival-knife-expected-police-to-kill-him
At a brief court hearing late Wednesday, the court heard he is a married father of three who has worked as a truck driver. He has lived in Canada for 10 years and is a dual citizen. His mother, three sisters and two brothers live in Tunisia and one sister lives in Switzerland.

MLive, a Michigan news website, reported that he was wearing a face mask at the hearing because he had spit on a U.S. Marshal. Ftouhi asked if he could remove it.

The judge allowed Ftouhi to move the spit guard aside.
“None of what you were doing before, okay?” Ftouhi’s public defender, David Kelzer, told Ftouhi, MLive reported.
Deparice-Okomba said it is possible to prevent lone wolf attacks.
“People don’t wake up one day and decide to do something like this,” he said. “It’s a long, complicated process before they commit violent acts.”
The centre has developed a “behaviour barometer” that friends and family can use to assess the risks of radicalization, he noted.
Expressing “polarizing views of absolute truth, paranoia and extreme distrust,” for example, are listed as “troubling.” The next level is “worrisome behaviour,” which can involve legitimizing “the use of violence to defend a cause or an ideology.”

The most dangerous level is “alarming behaviour,” whose symptoms can include “cutting off ties with family members and/or close friends in order to keep exclusive company with a new circle of acquaintances or friends,” according to the centre.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2017/06/22/22733215.html
FBI Special Agent David Gelios said that the feds believe Ftouhi was a “lone wolf” and not part of a larger conspiracy. He added the sometime truck driver has been “cooperative.”

“We interviewed the subject for a good period of time ... Suffice to say, he has a hatred for the United States and a variety of other things that motivated him to come to the airport ... to commit this act of violence,” Gelios told the Detroit News.

The Montrealer also mentioned U.S. military operations in Syria and Iraq as his motivation for attacking the cop.

The dual Tunisian-Canadian citizen speaks little English but is fluent in French and Arabic. In court, he struggled to understand some instructions.

Maybe a little OT, but, not these days...not really. A great message from KAJ.

"The basic values of Islam, Christianity and Judaism are the same values: they are based on compassion, tolerance and helping the needy. Those who incite us toward each other do so not out of religious belief but out of their own political and economic ambitions. Therefore, we, the believers, need to take advantage of every opportunity to sit together and share our messages of unity with all those who seek peace and a thriving world," said Abdul-Jabbar.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4977415,00.html

Maybe a little OT, but, not these days...not really. A great message from KAJ.

"The basic values of Islam, Christianity and Judaism are the same values: they are based on compassion, tolerance and helping the needy. Those who incite us toward each other do so not out of religious belief but out of their own political and economic ambitions. Therefore, we, the believers, need to take advantage of every opportunity to sit together and share our messages of unity with all those who seek peace and a thriving world," said Abdul-Jabbar.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4977415,00.html

We need to remember that there was a time when "Christians" were the extremists rampaging through the land killing in the name of the Lord.

We need to remember that there was a time when "Christians" were the extremists rampaging through the land killing in the name of the Lord.

I don't see how that creates unity by keeping scorecards of long ago past history?

I think everyone is painfully aware of those doing acts of terrorism now against other peace loving Muslims, Christians, and innocent others in free societies are Islamic terrorists. These are the terrorists who the world faces now more than any other

How does bringing up the past bring unity to all religions in what we are facing now in the 21st Century?

Therefore, we, the believers, need to take advantage of every opportunity to sit together and share our messages of unity with all those who seek peace and a thriving world,"

I don't see how that creates unity by keeping scorecards of long ago past history?

I think everyone is painfully aware of those doing acts of terrorism now against other peace loving Muslims, Christians, and innocent others in free societies are Islamic terrorists. These are the terrorists who the world faces now more than any other

How does bringing up the past bring unity to all religions in what we are facing now in the 21st Century?

Therefore, we, the believers, need to take advantage of every opportunity to sit together and share our messages of unity with all those who seek peace and a thriving world,"

My point was that we are all in this humanity thing together and no one group is 'better than' another group. It brings unity by pointing out that every religion has had its crazy, extreme/extremist past, so we need to have compassion to those who are part of a religion experiencing extremism now. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Officer stabbed in Flint expected to make full recovery

Sarah Rahal, The Detroit News 11:23 a.m. ET June 23, 2017

Officer Jeff Neville, who was stabbed on the second floor of the Bishop International Airport on Wednesday, is recovering at Hurley Hospital and is expected to be released as early as Sunday.

Authorities say Amor M. Ftouhi, a Tunisian national with dual citizenship in Canada, entered the airport at 8:52 a.m. Wednesday, carrying a red duffel bag and a dark satchel bag. About 18 minutes later, he went up an escalator to the second level of the airport, heading to a restaurant.

At 9:37 a.m., Ftouhi left the restaurant with both bags and entered a second-floor restroom. A minute later, he exited the restroom without either bag, pulled out a knife and attacked Neville, yelling “Allahu akbar.” ...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ecovering-jeff-neville-amor-ftouhi/103135592/

My point was that we are all in this humanity thing together and no one group is 'better than' another group. It brings unity by pointing out that every religion has had its crazy, extreme/extremist past, so we need to have compassion to those who are part of a religion experiencing extremism now. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Thank you for replying, but I still don't see the necessity to include what Christians did long ago with what those in the world are experiencing now with the barbaric murders being done by Islamic extremists all over the world in a much more advance modern century.

And for the record, imo, those who took life long ago hiding behind Christianity were no more Christians than the Islamic cult members of today who are doing sadistic terrorists attacks on the innocent all around the world including our own. They couldn't have been true Christians because our loving God makes it very clear "Thou shall not kill."

The ISIS barbarians of today that has destroyed precious life are not Muslims either. They believe they will be rewarded for murdering the infidels. They believe that dying is more valuable than life when they murder others. They say this is what their bible teaches them to do including murdering other peaceful Muslims.

By bringing up what 'Christians' did in the long ago past gives me the feeling of 'well Christians once did it too' as if that somehow makes what ISIS is doing in today's time less horrendous.

When Christians of today gather in mass like a spreading oozing overfilled septic tank to become religious terrorists around the world, and start cutting heads off, burning people alive including young innocent children, drowning their victims or blowing them apart or running over them with a large vehicle or shooting and stabbing innocent people including little babies only then they will be relevant to what the world is facing today.

Now if Christians of today were doing these same barbaric murders all over the world it would be very relevant to discuss it but since it is not happening in this century I see no need to interject the past into the grave problems the world is facing when it comes to Islamic fanatical extremists.

It certainly does nothing to unify all religions. What Christians may have done in the past in mass murders compared to Christians today is no more relevant than it would be to include all other peaceful Muslims of today who are not Islamic cult members but countless numbers of them have been victims themselves by the fanatical Islamic extremists.:(

JMO

I think the bottom line is...if you are killing, maming, destroying in the name of any religion...you are not following that religion. Any religious extremism is dangerous, IMO.

Thank you for replying, but I still don't see the necessity to include what Christians did long ago with what those in the world are experiencing now with the barbaric murders being done by Islamic extremists all over the world in a much more advance modern century.

And for the record, imo, those who took life long ago hiding behind Christianity were no more Christians than the Islamic cult members of today who are doing sadistic terrorists attacks on the innocent all around the world including our own. They couldn't have been true Christians because our loving God makes it very clear "Thou shall not kill."

The ISIS barbarians of today that has destroyed precious life are not Muslims either. They believe they will be rewarded for murdering the infidels. They believe that dying is more valuable than life when they murder others. They say this is what their bible teaches them to do including murdering other peaceful Muslims.

By bringing up what 'Christians' did in the long ago past gives me the feeling of 'well Christians once did it too' as if that somehow makes what ISIS is doing in today's time less horrendous.

When Christians of today gather in mass like a spreading oozing overfilled septic tank to become religious terrorists around the world, and start cutting heads off, burning people alive including young innocent children, drowning their victims or blowing them apart or running over them with a large vehicle or shooting and stabbing innocent people including little babies only then they will be relevant to what the world is facing today.

Now if Christians of today were doing these same barbaric murders all over the world it would be very relevant to discuss it but since it is not happening in this century I see no need to interject the past into the grave problems the world is facing when it comes to Islamic fanatical extremists.

It certainly does nothing to unify all religions. What Christians may have done in the past in mass murders compared to Christians today is no more relevant than it would be to include all other peaceful Muslims of today who are not Islamic cult members but countless numbers of them have been victims themselves by the fanatical Islamic extremists.:(

JMO

No one is saying that.

But there are Christian terrorists.

And for the record, imo, those who took life long ago hiding behind Christianity were no more Christians than the Islamic cult members of today1 who are doing sadistic terrorists attacks on the innocent all around the world including our own. They couldn't have been true Christians because our loving God makes it very clear "Thou shall not kill."

The ISIS barbarians of today that has destroyed precious life are not Muslims either. 1 They believe they will be rewarded for murdering the infidels. They believe that dying is more valuable than life when they murder others. They say this is what their bible teaches them to do including murdering other peaceful Muslims.

By bringing up what 'Christians' did in the long ago past gives me the feeling of 'well Christians once did it too' as if that somehow makes what ISIS is doing in today's time less horrendous. 2

It certainly does nothing to unify all religions. 3 What Christians may have done in the past in mass murders compared to Christians today is no more relevant than it would be to include all other peaceful Muslims of today who are not Islamic cult members but countless numbers of them have been victims themselves by the fanatical Islamic extremists.:(

JMO

RBBM
1 - That was my point
2 - You are projecting as I said nothing of the sort whatsoever.
3 - It can if Christians see the point as "we are all the same" in that we as Christians should be sympathizing with today's peaceful Muslims, instead of banning them and blaming them for "not doing enough to prevent" these atrocities.

RBBM
1 - That was my point
3 - It can if Christians see the point as "we are all the same" in that we as Christians should be sympathizing with today's peaceful Muslims, instead of banning them and blaming them for "not doing enough to prevent" these atrocities.

3. YES! If more Christians acted like Christians it could go a long way. So many of them insists Muslims and Muslim leaders should do something about this, as if it's some sort of in-house family problem. Hey, here's a wacky idea - why don't you do something too. Other than fight them or demonize them or ban them from living somewhere safe.

I wish I could ask them all "Who is your neighbor?"

RBBM
1 - That was my point

I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I have never blamed all Muslims. Not once. In fact I have always sympathized with peaceful Muslims and my heart breaks for all of the lives that have been taken by the Islamic extremists.

There are countless Muslims in our country from another country. Many are born here and plenty belong to the Black Muslim Brotherhood and other Muslim groups.

Are you saying it is wise to not properly vet all Muslims from terrorist riddled countries and just let them all in simply because they are Muslims? Refugees that are supported by the taxpayers? Christians have also been denied from entering our country.

So you think if Muslims see something very suspicious going on in their communities or mosques they shouldn't cooperate with the authorities and report it? Two weeks before Omar Mateen became the worst mass shooter in our history he listened to a visiting Imam at his Mosque who was advocating violence and hatred against homosexuals. So you are okay with that every Muslim in attendance remained silent even though it could have had a chance of preventing 49 innocent lives lost and 53 injured had they reported it?

So you would prefer that we be like the UK who now has 23,000 jihadists inside their country?

I wish as much sympathy and understanding would be given to Christians as those who are Muslims.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pandamom76
Back