GUILTY MI - Officer critical after stabbing at Bishop International Airport in Flint, June 2017 *arrest*

Is there anywhere that we can be safe any more? I don't want to leave my house as it seems I could become a casualty wherever I go. :scared:

I haven't been able to see a news report. Does anyone know where the attack occurred? Baggage claim? Main terminal before security? Outside the terminal?

Did he drive from Quebec to Michigan? It seems like a lot of time and expense was involved in getting to Bishop International in order to make this horrible attack. It's completely bizarre.

So sad, and so sorry that a Canadian did something so evil.
I was wondering the same. He entered the US through NY. Why was he here in Flint? I've been debating flying on our cross country trip next month and we would fly out of Flint. I know it is irrational, but this has made my decision easier. We will be driving.

It is unfortunate, though, that some use these examples to justify hatred and fear against all Muslims. We've had many instances of domestic terrorism not committed by Muslims yet we do not fear all white men. I'm including myself in that "we" as I am also affected by the fear and bias.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I haven't been able to see a news report. Does anyone know where the attack occurred? Baggage claim? Main terminal before security? Outside the terminal?
Watching local news right now and they just stated "in the terminal" and "in the public area." They showed video of the scene and it is upstairs just above baggage claim, outside of security.

I was wondering the same. He entered the US through NY. Why was he here in Flint? I've been debating flying on our cross country trip next month and we would fly out of Flint. I know it is irrational, but this has made my decision easier. We will be driving.

It is unfortunate, though, that some use these examples to justify hatred and fear against all Muslims. We've had many instances of domestic terrorism not committed by Muslims yet we do not fear all white men. I'm including myself in that "we" as I am also affected by the fear and bias.

Flint is a MUCH easier target than Detroit Metro, way less security. I'm not saying the people there aren't prepared, I just feel they're a little more relaxed than at the "big" airport to the south. In fact, I use Flint a lot because of easier parking and faster security lines.

Flint is a MUCH easier target than Detroit Metro, way less security. I'm not saying the people there aren't prepared, I just feel they're a little more relaxed than at the "big" airport to the south. In fact, I use Flint a lot because of easier parking and faster security lines.
Yes, it is a very small and convenient airport. But, he seemed to target one police officer in Flint. He could have done the same in baggage claim at DTW or any other airport for that matter. He did not get through security with the knife so could have done the same anywhere. Why Flint? It doesn't look like they know that yet. He has been in the US since Fri.

I don't have "hatred and fear." I'm tired of it. So I guess the word would be intolerant? Have your culture, wear your abaya and scarves, but at least try to assimilate somewhat. Learn some English, at least enough to where when you come in the place I work and I say "hello" to you, you can answer back, instead of moving past me like I don't exist.

If you're from here, we used to have immigrant groups in particular areas of the city that were able to keep their cultures alive but assimilated for the most part. These people do not. They keep to their own kind, they for a large part won't learn the language, and so on. It's different and it's not a good different.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/michigan-attack-police-officer-1.4171043
"It's suffice to say he has a hatred for the United States and a variety of other things, which in part motivated him to come to the airport today to conduct this act of violence," said David Gelios, special agent in charge of FBI's Detroit division.

Ftouhi walked into the airport around 9 a.m. ET with a 30-centimetre knife in one of his two bags but did not try to pass through security, according to the FBI.

About 40 minutes later, Ftouhi went into a restroom and walked out without either of his bags. He then went up to an officer in uniform, yelled "Allahu Akbar" (God is great) and pulled out the knife and attacked the officer, according to an account provided by another officer who witnessed the attack and contained in a criminal complaint filed by the FBI in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan

I don't have "hatred and fear." I'm tired of it. So I guess the word would be intolerant? Have your culture, wear your abaya and scarves, but at least try to assimilate somewhat. Learn some English, at least enough to where when you come in the place I work and I say "hello" to you, you can answer back, instead of moving past me like I don't exist.

If you're from here, we used to have immigrant groups in particular areas of the city that were able to keep their cultures alive but assimilated for the most part. These people do not. They keep to their own kind, they for a large part won't learn the language, and so on. It's different and it's not a good different.

I wish I understood this... My husband's grandparents came from Europe in the 50's. I'm told it was of the utmost importance to them to make a reasonable effort to "assimilate" to American customs. It was out of respect and appreciation for being welcomed to the US. They spoke their native language at home, but mostly English in public, depending on who they were speaking to. They made American friends, participated in "American activities" (bowling and cards, etc), but still managed to preserve their own culture and heritage through socialization, sharing, and old traditions.

Eta- my husband just reminded me that his grandma proudly served in the US Navy. <3

Why is it different now? (Rhetorical)

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/friends-...d-of-flint-stabbing-as-gentle-quiet-1.3470159
Friends, neighbours describe Montreal man accused of Flint stabbing as gentle, quiet
Piazza said Ftouhi has lived in the buidling for six years, is married and has two or three children.
"He was a quiet guy," Piazza said. "For me he was a nice person. I never had a problem with him or his family."

A man who identifed himself as a Facebook friend of Ftouhi's said the accused wouldn't even think of "hurting a fly."

Kamel Yahyaoui said in a Facebook exchange with The Canadian Press he has known Ftouhi for 20 years and that they first met in Tunisia when Ftouhi was a school teacher.

"He's a socially positive person," he said. "He's looking for a good life for him and his family. That's all."
Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale called the incident a "heinous and cowardly attack."
attachment.php
Montreal police outside the home of a man suspected of stabbing a police officer in the Flint, MI airport on Wednesday. (Photo: Caroline Van Vlaardingen/CTV Montreal
)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 63

:goodpost:

I wish I understood this... My husband's grandparents came from Europe in the 50's. I'm told it was of the utmost importance to them to make a reasonable effort to "assimilate" to American customs. It was out of respect and appreciation for being welcomed to the US. They spoke their native language at home, but mostly English in public, depending on who they were speaking to. They made American friends, participated in "American activities" (bowling and cards, etc), but still managed to preserve their own culture and heritage through socialization, sharing, and old traditions.

Eta- my husband just reminded me that his grandma proudly served in the US Navy. <3

In my experience, it's not different now. This is largely still the norm.

Well pretty much IMO if you're screaming Allahu anything you're a terrorist. They also say he was yelling about killing people in Syria, etc. I am just SO done with FGM, the radical imam, the Hezbollah scouts and probably a half dozen sleeper cells and various lone wolf radicals we probably have living here. I am about OUT of understanding and compassion for these people.

The officer is extremely lucky, the knife was a 12-inch serrated knife.

This is why I question whether or not the proposed travel ban would truly be helpful. There are already plenty of would-be terrorists living in the U.S. Many are here legally; some are citizens. How extensive were vetting procedures when these potential terrorists arrived in our country?

I'm :scared: to leave the house any more. There really doesn't seem to be anywhere one can go without fearing that someone will bomb, shoot, stab in the name of religion. :banghead:

FBI: Suspect in Flint attack ‘has a hatred’ for U.S.

Jacob Carah and Charles E. Ramirez, The Detroit News

Published 10:55 a.m. ET June 21, 2017 | Updated 0 minutes ago

Flint — Authorities are investigating the stabbing attack of a police officer at Bishop International Airport on Wednesday as an “act of terrorism,” according to the FBI.

A 50-year-old Canadian man whose face witnesses say was “totally blank” when he stabbed the police officer Wednesday morning yelled “Allahu Akbar,” which means “God is great” in Arabic, authorities said.

The man, identified as Amor Ftouhi, attacked Lt. Jeff Neville, who was in full uniform, before 9:40 a.m., stabbing him in the neck with a 12-inch knife with a green handle and a black serrated blade marked “Amazon Jungle Survival Knife.” Authorities say Neville fought off his attacker for a minute as other police assisted in subduing the suspect.

According to authorities, Ftouhi continued yelling “Allah” after the stabbing...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...er-injured-flint-airport-evacuated/103064862/

Did he drive from Quebec to Michigan? It seems like a lot of time and expense was involved in getting to Bishop International in order to make this horrible attack. It's completely bizarre.

So sad, and so sorry that a Canadian did something so evil.

Do we know if he drove alone? They are so strict at the border now I'm surprised he got through. Not that having someone else in the car would help but it would seem more normal, maybe? Where does a guy from Quebec say he's going all by himself? Seriously. We've been asked "Country of origin?" a few times now. Even with US and Canadian passports. I'm terrified of lying to a border agent!

Americans enjoy a lot of freedoms. There's no official language, no official religion, no laws about assimilating to the culture here. People leave their home countries, escape war-torn countries, or oppressive regimes.

They get to America and are free. That's assimilating.

Americans enjoy a lot of freedoms. There's no official language, no official religion, no laws about assimilating to the culture here. People leave their home countries, escape war-torn countries, or oppressive regimes.

They get to America and are free. That's assimilating.

I agree with you. In fact, I don't like the term "assimilate" at all, I love diversity and enjoy being exposed to humans of most sorts. I would love to live peacefully with our newest batch of immigrants, I just wish they, as a whole, seemed happier to be here.

I agree with you. In fact, I don't like the term "assimilate" at all, I love diversity and enjoy being exposed to humans of most sorts. I would love to live peacefully with our newest batch of immigrants, I just wish they, as a whole, seemed happier to be here.

How do you figure immigrants aren't happy to be in America? Do you know what they go through to get to America?

How do you figure immigrants aren't happy to be in America? Do you know what they go through to get to America?

I can only go by what I observe, in my own major American city and the media. I won't elaborate, as my keyboard is glitching badly. I make no ignorant assumptions, this is my own personal perception and my own conundrum. I welcome immigrants, my own family came to the states under harsh circumstances as well less than a hundred years ago.

I have an idea of what they've gone through to be here, I have acquaintances that are new to the country, they are my neighbors. I see the news.

Ugh, my screen is flashing. Hard to keep train of thought, sorry.

I can only go by what I observe, in my own major American city and the media. I won't elaborate, as my keyboard is glitching badly. I make no ignorant assumptions, this is my own personal perception and my own conundrum. I welcome immigrants, my own family came to the states under harsh circumstances as well less than a hundred years ago.

I have an idea of what they've gone through to be here, I have acquaintances that are new to the country, they are my neighbors. I see the news.

Ugh, my screen is flashing. Hard to keep train of thought, sorry.

What you observe, what you see in your city and what you see on the news might not be the best way to assess how unhappy or happy immigrants are to be here.

According to figures from the Department of Homeland Security, 1.05 million immigrants were granted permanent residence in the US in 2015.

Refugees (2015 numbers) 69,920 total: 12,676 came from Iraq, while 8,858 were from Somalia, 3,109 were from Iran, 1,682 were from Syria, 1,578 from Sudan and just 16 came from Yemen.

In 2015 the total number of Muslims 3.3 million (some are immigrants, some are citizens)

From NCSL:
Total U.S. population 319 million
Total foreign-born population 42 million (13%) (So far I can't find a happiness study on the 42 million though.)

I know this seems off-topic for this thread, but I think the implication (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you think Muslim immigrants are unhappy to be here, which (IMO) is on-topic because the man who did this wasn't American, and it helps to know the facts if we're discussing Muslims and terrorism and immigrations to the USA.

[Alex Nowrasteh, an immigration expert at the Cato Institute]Nowrasteh found that foreign-born terrorists who entered the country, either as immigrants or tourists, were involved in 3,024 of the 3,432 murders caused by terrorists on U.S. soil from 1975 through 2015. But 2,983 of those murders came on 9/11 alone.
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/01/trump-immigration-ban-terrorism/514361/

I'm not sharing this to argue with anyone. I know we're all upset about this attack and any terrorist attack no matter who is responsible. But if we know the facts maybe it will help us be less afraid. We can hope. I'm going to Europe in September and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit afraid, and I've been thinking how to best avoid big crowds.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back