GUILTY MI - Paul DeWolf, 25, fatally shot in Ann Arbor frat house, 23 July 2013

You are sooooo clever :cheer:

:floorlaugh:

Fredna = Brangelina (not even close... but it's only because Fred has a bad habit of drinking from the toilet)

I think I like Fred WAY more than that other guy...

something tells me Fred looks something like this...:beagle: :heart:

I'm not saying this research involved money/funds, but he did research work in 2011. I'm not sure but I think I read something (somewhere... don't have a link at the moment about ACL/Myostatin research)

Page 16 SBRP - The Impact of Diabetes Mellitus on Knee
Joint Pathology

http://www.med.umich.edu/medstudent...ch/2010_2012_faculty_mentors_and_students.pdf

** This did involve funding ACL

Now, researchers from the University of Michigan Health System have identified a new drug target that may prevent one of the most dreaded consequences of an ACL tear –the weakening or loss of muscle tissue (muscle atrophy) that can be a career-killer in sports and ultimately develop into osteoarthritis.

INFORMATION:

Additional authors: Evan B. Lynch, B.S.E.; Max E. Davis, B.A.; Elizabeth R. Sibilsky Enselman, ME.d.,A.T.C.; Julie A. Harning; Paul D. DeWolf, B.S.; Tarek A. Makki, B.S.

Funding: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases grant number AR058920

Disclosures: None

Reference: "Changes in Circulating Biomarkers of Muscle Atrophy, Inflammation and Cartilage Turnover in Patients Undergoing Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction and Rehabilitation," American Journal of Sports Medicine, DOI:10.1177/0363546513490651.

http://press-news.org/106993-after-...atments-to-improve-recovery-for-athletes.html

This just shows that he worked in a research lab that was funded. This is very different than competing for funding. In any case, the level of funding that he would tend to write a grant for, at his very junior level, would not be this type of funding (this is a fully funded, multi-year grant to a university researcher). He might compete to a smaller funding source to get a fellowship grant, but I don't think he would be in the position to do that until after his 4th year, though I could be wrong.

This just shows that he worked in a research lab that was funded. This is very different than competing for funding. In any case, the level of funding that he would tend to write a grant for, at his very junior level, would not be this type of funding (this is a fully funded, multi-year grant to a university researcher). He might compete to a smaller funding source to get a fellowship grant, but I don't think he would be in the position to do that until after his 4th year, though I could be wrong.

You're likely correct. I was merely pointing out that he was involved with research. I don't know if any awards or accolades are involved with any of this... just trying to "guess" at why someone might possibly want to do him harm. He was in his fourth year according to the article below (is that considered junior level)?

DeWolf, a Schoolcraft native who was in his fourth year of medical school at the University of Michigan.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2013/07/paul_dewolf_remebered_by_frien.html

Ok, here's another question I have to ask (but I hope it doesn't make anyone queasy)...

If you were a shooter/murderer, don't you think it would be less messy (and therefore less likely to transfer DNA) if you shot someone in the neck in lieu of shooting them in the head?

Granted, there's lots of blood that is released from neck wounds but I believe not nearly as much as when the skull implodes/shatters upon bullet penetration.

Sorry to be so graphic.

Also, shooting someone in the neck "seems" like more of an intimate-nature type of relationship somehow but that's just my gut; not scientifically backed.

Ok, here's another question I have to ask (but I hope it doesn't make anyone queasy)...

If you were a shooter/murderer, don't you think it would be less messy (and therefore less likely to transfer DNA) if you shot someone in the neck in lieu of shooting them in the head?

Granted, there's lots of blood that is released from neck wounds but I believe not nearly as much as when the skull implodes/shatters upon bullet penetration.

Sorry to be so graphic.

Also, shooting someone in the neck "seems" like more of an intimate-nature type of relationship somehow but that's just my gut; not scientifically backed.

I'm guessing again but I would think the type of gun used/caliber and distance might have an effect. Maybe??

Yes, the lead author ( a guy with a PhD) is the one who has the federal grant from NIH.
Paul DeWolf is not the one with any funding. He just participated in research.

You're likely correct. I was merely pointing out that he was involved with research. I don't know if any awards or accolades are involved with any of this... just trying to "guess" at why someone might possibly want to do him harm. He was in his fourth year according to the article below (is that considered junior level)?

DeWolf, a Schoolcraft native who was in his fourth year of medical school at the University of Michigan.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2013/07/paul_dewolf_remebered_by_frien.html

His "award" was being listed as one of the co-authors on a manuscript. I don't think anyone could possibly want him harm over this.

Sorry to be so graphic.

My guess is shot in the neck area specifically was not deliberate. Unless Paul was sleeping. Or the person with a gun was a real shooting expert. Neck doesn't make a very good target being a small area. So usually people are taught to shoot into body mass. Even head would make a better target being bigger.

As a medical student, he would not be competing for grants. Perhaps he witnessed medical
malpractice, fraud or plagiarism. That could be a possible motive, maybe.

His "award" was being listed as one of the co-authors on a manuscript. I don't think anyone could possibly want him harm over this.

I agree. lol Post 48

"... but it's very difficult to believe this would be worth committing murder."

As a medical student, he would not be competing for grants. Perhaps he witnessed medical
malpractice, fraud or plagiarism. That could be a possible motive, maybe.

If he reported someone for something, I suppose revenge is a possible motive. But so far police appear to be clueless.
It's a shame that a person who appears to have been so promising was murdered, and nobody seems to know anything about the suspect.

It does seem unlikely that the incident at the neighboring house and Paul's killing were perpetrated by the same person. A home invasion is aggressive, brash, reckless & hell-bent. At the frat house, we have an intruder or guest so quiet other residents heard nothing and he or she was efficient, one bullet to the neck, and left the setting undisturbed, a real minimalist. It would be interesting to learn how many residents of Paul's house were interviewed and what they had to say. Were they asleep or on campus at the hour this crime occurred? What is the estimated time of death? What do we know about the status of Paul's recent relationships? Was there a break-up due to the training he was about to take on the West Coast? In any case, I believe police will nail who done it in two weeks, August 20. Cherchez la femme!

I'm going to say from the nature of the wound and the fact there was only one, that this was an accident. He could have been showing the gun to a "friend", it went off, that person panicked and took the gun with them. Please hold your boo's until which time a suspect is named and then you can all pounce on me. jmo

I'm going to say from the nature of the wound and the fact there was only one, that this was an accident. He could have been showing the gun to a "friend", it went off, that person panicked and took the gun with them. Please hold your boo's until which time a suspect is named and then you can all pounce on me. jmo

It's already known that he didn't shoot himself, accidentally or otherwise. Per autopsy, he was shot in the neck by another person.

It's already known that he didn't shoot himself, accidentally or otherwise. Per autopsy, he was shot in the neck by another person.

Yes, the "friend" obviously had the gun was what I meant to say. Didn't he just recently buy a gun and the gun was not there?

Yes, the "friend" obviously had the gun was what I meant to say. Didn't he just recently buy a gun and the gun was not there?

???? I have not seen that reported anywhere.

I want to know what position his body was in when found and a diagram of where the bullet entered his neck (I know that won't happen unless/until a trial). I'd also like to know if they've done any forensics on his computer.

Reading back I believe it was suggested by someone. No report of him owning a gun that we are aware of.

But... If it does become verified that PD recently purchased a gun...

Then it will be very interesting that THAT gun was NOT found in his room/with his possessions...

something to keep in mind, anyway...

JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member