GUILTY MI - Renisha McBride, 19, shot while trying to get help, Detroit, Nov 2013

It's the manner in which he expressed himself that gives me pause. We've defended people who believe they've acted in self-defense, and while there's anger, there's also remorse, there's still fear in their voice when they recount what happens. It's very much a mixed bag of emotions when recounting events. And in my opinion, I don't know if we've seen that here with him.

I think we have seen a lot of remorse. We have seen tears from this defendant and no I don't think they were for himself. He doesn't strike me as being a cold self centered man and never has from the beginning.

He said he thinks of Renisha and her family everyday and he regrets that it happened because she had her whole life ahead of her. Those are not the words of an unfeeling cad imo.

I truly do believe he acted in fear and does regret that Renisha lost her life. Like he said in the trial if only Renisha had accepted help when it was offered the EMTs could have saved her. (paraphrasing)

I see nothing about this man showing me he is an unfeeling person.

JMO though

ETA: I voted for manslaughter.

Yeah he will not walk away from this in Detroit. It will either be manslaughter OR a hung jury followed by a conviction the second time around (and then followed by civil suits).

In TX or GA or FL he would have a chance, but in Detroit....no way.

The fact the jury is asking for things shows there is at least a debate going on which is nice.

Yeah he will not walk away from this in Detroit. It will either be manslaughter OR a hung jury followed by a conviction the second time around (and then followed by civil suits).

In TX or GA or FL he would have a chance, but in Detroit....no way.

The fact the jury is asking for things shows there is at least a debate going on which is nice.

ITA! They are going to convict him on something. IMO, they are afraid not to.........

It's the manner in which he expressed himself that gives me pause. We've defended people who believe they've acted in self-defense, and while there's anger, there's also remorse, there's still fear in their voice when they recount what happens. It's very much a mixed bag of emotions when recounting events. And in my opinion, I don't know if we've seen that here with him.

jmo, I feel he is remorseful. imo and all that jazz

ITA! They are going to convict him on something. IMO, they are afraid not to.........

Then they should not be on this jury. Unless they are just as afraid (to not convict) as Mr. Wafer was that night.:moo:

You'd be surprised. A lot of people take jury duty very seriously, and are scrupulous about following the rules. Perhaps I'm too optimistic, but I think it's likely they are taking this very seriously, and making their decision solely on the facts presented to them.

How was it the prosecutor who conveyed it? I thought it was the officer who was being questioned on the stand who said that?

IIRC, it was the LE officer who said that. You are correct.

The bottom line is: Why not call the police first????

If the "intruder" isn't saying, "Open the damn door before I kick it down!", the I say, it's not a threat. Is it mentioned if she was intoxicated to where she could relay that she needed help? Why not go hide in a bedroom or wherever with your weapon, and call 911. This girl never stepped foot inside the house. He had no right to shoot. IMO. And for him to say he didn't aim, he just shot through the door, BS!!!!! Why not fire a warning shot through the ceiling? He shot at the door because he wanted to kill this girl. Couldn't even wait for the police to come diffuse the situation before he started shooting.

I would like to know from those who have actually experienced an event where they thought that a criminal was breaking into their home where they were happy and not pissed and scared at the same time.

I was totally pissed when I knew a creep had tried to invade the sanctity of our home. It was that anger than gave me and my brother the courage to stop the intruder.

I've been in a life threatening situation and I can tell you that I was totally pissed and scared at the same time.

You'd be surprised. A lot of people take jury duty very seriously, and are scrupulous about following the rules. Perhaps I'm too optimistic, but I think it's likely they are taking this very seriously, and making their decision solely on the facts presented to them.

No I really wouldn't be surprised, Ana. All five times when I served on a jury I did take my oath/duty very seriously. Like I said earlier, I would have no problem standing up for what I believe in, and my belief after keeping up with the trial is Mr. Wafer did indeed fear for his life that morning. If I was the lone holdout then so be it. I would not compromise since I am convinced beyond all doubt that he honestly believed someone was trying to break into his home. But I do not live in Detroit either.

From the moment this case happened some in Detroit wanted to make it into a racial case since the defendant is white and Renisha was AA. I even believe Al Sharpton came to town to protest. Of course there is absolutely no evidence that Mr. Wafter even knew the race nor even the gender of the person when he fired his weapon. However imo, there are those who do not agree with that up there and do believe it had racial overtones. I have read many comments under articles published by local media sites and to this day the race issue is still brought up by locals.

So while the jury hopefully will do the right thing and only go by the evidence to render their decision, IMO, they also will be mindful if they return a controversial verdict like NG that they have to return to their own communities after rendering such a verdict. Each time a controversial verdict has been rendered the jurors pretty much had to go underground in fear of retaliation. To this day we have not heard a peep out of the CA jury once they realized how outraged the majority of the public was when they rendered their verdict. So I do think jurors are mindful of the consequences nowadays about the verdicts they render. Especially in cases that have already been made out to have racial overtones when it first began and some still believing that is the case even now.

IMO

guilty on all charges.

2nd degree.

manslaughter.

firearms charges.

all guilty.

guilty on all charges.

2nd degree.

manslaughter.

firearms charges.

all guilty.

I'm unsurprised. That's what I've felt this case was with the limited information we've had. I realize others will feel differently, but I do believe this verdict was given based upon the FACTS, and not the media coverage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back