MI - Richard Phillips, cleared of murder after 45 years in prison, Wayne County, 28 Mar 2018

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by cybervampira, Jan 21, 2019.

1. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

Michigan man who spent 45 years in prison for crime he didn't commit now selling his art to get by | Daily Mail Online
    • Richard Phillips, 73, was 26 years old when he was sentenced to life in a Michigan prison for a murder he did not commit
    • He was exonerated in March and is now surviving on $500 a month in Social Security and $89 in food stamps
    • Phillips, who worked for Chrysler, was blamed for the murder of Gregory Harris
    • An artist, Phillips said he was initially given a deal in which would reduce his sentence to a second-degree murder charge and let him go - but he refused
    • He could be entitled to as much as $2.25 million dollars under Michigan's Wrongful Imprisonment Compensation Act
    • But the state so far is resisting, so he is displaying 50 of his more than 400 watercolors at a Detroit area gallery and is willing to sell them
    upload_2019-1-21_11-47-34.jpeg upload_2019-1-21_11-47-57.jpeg upload_2019-1-21_11-49-39.jpeg

Michigan man who spent 45 years in prison for crime he didn't commit now selling his art to get by

Murder charges dropped against man who served 45 years

Nation's longest serving exoneree cleared of murder after 45 years in prison

byo and Jim_M like this.
  2. Forpsy

Forpsy Well-Known Member

Wow. How unbelievably tragic.

Jim_M, Deelee and Ibiz like this.
  3. Ibiz

Ibiz Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

I wonder why the state is resisting to pay him his compensation money?

Jim_M and musicaljoke like this.
  4. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

byo, Jim_M and Ibiz like this.
  5. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

Jim_M, sloane7777, Deelee and 3 others like this.
  6. Ibiz

Ibiz Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

You brought a good point. I really dont see why a conviction in another state, should have an effect on the injustices he received in MI.

musicaljoke, Jim_M, Deelee and 2 others like this.