Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 6 *D. Stewart guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, some were speculating that there was a recording or more than one involved in this case. IIRC there was speculation that it might show something that would favor DS.

Not so much, at least with this recording.

What an ugly mess. Venus, where are you girl??? :( Ditto ...this case makes me sad.

No wonder Venus was awarded custody of the girls! I hope the original recording is still available, that the attorney kept it for her.

This will NOT look good if the judge who is hearing Doug's petition for custody of the girls is aware of it. I certainly hope someone brings this to his/her attention.

It will be VERY interesting to learn how the judge rules.

Also, did you know the girls have been in hiding since Venus disappeared?

In missing woman case, Michigan police to test Newport News man's truck

By Peter Dujardin
9:10 a.m. EDT, May 22, 2010

NEWPORT NEWS — Michigan State Police are making plans to transport a pickup truck from Newport News to Michigan as part of an investigation into a woman's disappearance last month.

According to records filed in Newport News Circuit Court, Venus Stewart had her divorce lawyer's paralegal listen and transcribe an audio recording in which Douglas Stewart told her that one option he had in dealing with her was to "get his father's .357."

CONTINUED AT SOURCE: http://www.dailypress.com/news/crime/dp-nws-michigan-slaying-20100521,0,5491339.story

I'm assuming a 357 is a gun of some kind? And if so, LE have in Doug's own voice a threat on the life of Venus and exactly how he would carry out that threat. Yikes - what a monster! :eek:

They haven't tested the truck yet? What on earth is taking so long...I thought we would hear results this week...it sounds like truck is still in Virginia. I don't understand the delays. Sounds like they don't think there is a chance of finding Venus alive to me, of they would be moving much faster.

They haven't tested the truck yet? What on earth is taking so long...I thought we would hear results this week...it sounds like truck is still in Virginia. I don't understand the delays. Sounds like they don't think there is a chance of finding Venus alive to me, of they would be moving much faster.

They had to flat bed the truck up to MI. I would bet my life it has been there a while already and is being processed and processed and processed...

No wonder Venus was awarded custody of the girls! I hope the original recording is still available, that the attorney kept it for her.

This will NOT look good if the judge who is hearing Doug's petition for custody of the girls is aware of it. I certainly hope someone brings this to his/her attention.

It will be VERY interesting to learn how the judge rules.

Also, did you know the girls have been in hiding since Venus disappeared?

The girls are in hiding?? I would believe they are being protected from being snatched, for sure, but hiding...hmmmm. wow. Who are they being hidden from?

Bringing forward

Just plopping the latest news articles in while I do my morning news check.

In missing woman case, Michigan police to test Newport News man's truck
Woman's estranged husband from Newport News is "person of interest."
9:10 a.m. EDT, May 22, 2010

Once the Dodge pickup is in Michigan, Risko said, an analysis will be conducted to determine if the truck left the tread marks. "We actually have to have the tires here," to do the testing, he said.

Police were still awaiting laboratory results on a substance found in the pick-up truck that appeared to be blood, Risko said. The substance was found on one of the truck's doors.

snip

According to records filed in Newport News Circuit Court, Venus Stewart had her divorce lawyer's paralegal listen and transcribe an audio recording in which Douglas Stewart told her that one option he had in dealing with her was to "get his father's .357."

The paralegal transcribed the recording and "told her to put it in a safe place," according to an affidavit filed in Newport News Circuit Court by Michigan State Trooper Aaron Steensma.

Douglas Stewart lost custody of his two children at a hearing in Michigan on April 19, with Venus Stewart's parents telling police that he was "very upset" about that outcome, the affidavit said. Venus Stewart had a protective order taken out on her husband, the affidavit said.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/crime/dp-nws-michigan-slaying-20100521,0,5491339.story

Michigan police to test Newport News man's truck
Woman's estranged husband from Newport News is "person of interest."
May 21, 2010

NEWPORT NEWS — Michigan State Police are making plans to transport a pickup truck from Newport News to Michigan as part of an investigation into a woman's disappearance last month.

http://articles.dailypress.com/2010...s-stewart-michigan-home-michigan-state-police

Most recent news articles prior to the above:

Custody Hearing On Monday
WKZO - Posted Friday May 21, 2010 1 day, 23 hours ago:
http://www.wkzo.com/news/articles/2010/may/21/custody-hearing-monday/

Estranged husband of missing mother fights for the kids
WWMT - May 20, 2010 6:02 PM
http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1376791-bottom-estranged.html

Progress made in Venus Stewart disappearance, Michigan State Police say
Kalamazoo Gazette - mlive - May 20, 2010, 12:33AM
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/05/progress_made_in_venus_stewart.html

Venus' estranged husband wants custody
WOODTV8 — May 20, 2010 - Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U5j-qkmf64

I'm assuming a 357 is a gun of some kind? And if so, LE have in Doug's own voice a threat on the life of Venus and exactly how he would carry out that threat. Yikes - what a monster! :eek:
Yes, it is a gun, and this definitely sounds like a threat against Venus' life ~ which I believe was carried through on. MOO

The girls are in hiding?? I would believe they are being protected from being snatched, for sure, but hiding...hmmmm. wow. Who are they being hidden from?

"Venus’ parents say their granddaughters are “in hiding” in order to remain safe, thus, Stewart argues he has no idea where they are or how to reach them. He claims his last contact with his five-year-old was on April 23, according to WWMT. Stewart also alleges Venus’ family has made public threats against him."

There is a custody hearing tomorrow, May 24, 2010

CONTINUED AT SOURCE: http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crim...missing-woman-wants-custody-of-children-video

Yes, it's a handgun and a very powerful one at that. I've fired one before and it has a lot of kick back. I would compare your average pistol to your average, in shape man and a magnum to a professional boxer.

I don't know if this could be Venus. But, Toronto police say that human remains encased in concrete have been discovered in Lake Ontario. The concrete and the body are inside a barrel.

Forensic investigators are currently on the scene, which is about 100 metres offshore near Lower Jarvis Street and Queens Quay.

It's a 7 to 9 hour drive from Colon, Michigan to Toronto Canada.

Continued at source: http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...-Concrete-100523/20100523/?hub=TorontoNewHome

I don't know if this could be Venus. But, Toronto police say that human remains encased in concrete have been discovered in Lake Ontario. The concrete and the body are inside a barrel.

Forensic investigators are currently on the scene, which is about 100 metres offshore near Lower Jarvis Street and Queens Quay.

It's a 7 to 9 hour drive from Colon, Michigan to Toronto Canada.

Continued at source: http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...-Concrete-100523/20100523/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Hmm, according to this map:

circletour_map.gif

Lake Ontario is pretty far from Michigan. It looks like they connect, but would concrete float? Especially this far? Also, I think we're working with a pretty tight timeline as far as DS getting from MI in the a.m. until VA in the p.m. of the same day.

Obviously, not ruling anything out. I think it seems unlikely. MOO.

ETA: By float I don't mean sit on top of the water, I mean would it float away?

I am guessing his lawyer told him to go ahead and file for custody; it would seem stranger if he did not, as if he were expecting to be arrested soon. From a defense standpoint that is...I doubt any judge is going to make any changes while Venus is still missing, unless all evidence comes back in a way that cannot be tied to DS, which. seems unlikely. If he is not charged, he may very well end up with custody. JMO

I was under the impression that he wasn't asking for changes to the agreement, other than supervised visitation. Primarily he was asking for his existing rights under the current order to be enforced.

I was under the impression that he wasn't asking for changes to the agreement, other than supervised visitation. Primarily he was asking for his existing rights under the current order to be enforced.

No, he wants significant change. In addition to adding in-person visitation, he's also asking for joint legal custody, as well as physical care and custody:

In separate filings, Doug has asked for a telephone number to contact his daughters as well as weekly supervised visits at the Department of Human Services Office.

Doug has also requested joint legal custody as well as physical care and custody, either temporarily or permanently.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1376791-bottom-estranged.html

CONTINUED AT SOURCE: http://www.dailypress.com/news/crime/dp-nws-michigan-slaying-20100521,0,5491339.story

What a unlucky man to have his wife go missing after saying something like that. I wonder what the chances are of that. He sure must be kicking himself now.

Those poor kids. What a mess....what an incredible terrifying awe inspiring mess.

What a unlucky man to have his wife go missing after saying something like that. I wonder what the chances are of that. He sure must be kicking himself now.

I wonder when the recording was made of Doug telling Venus one of his options for solving the problem would be to use his father's 357 magnum?

I'm really curious to see if Venus's parents are served with an order to present the children before the court sometime in the very near future.

Wouldn't it be hilarious tomorrow when Doug goes to court he is served with an arrest warrant during what he thought would be a hearing and hauled off to the clinker!

I wonder when the recording was made of Doug telling Venus one of his options for solving the problem would be to use his father's 357 magnum?

I'm really curious to see if Venus's parents are served with an order to present the children before the court sometime in the very near future.

I was wondering if the recording had a date/time stamp too. And I keep expecting Venus' parents to get an order to bring forth the girls. I also had expected them to file for custody. I think it's going to be an interesting week ahead.

I feel terrible for those little girls in the midst of such uncertainty, and surely missing their momma. :(

I was wondering if the recording had a date/time stamp too. And I keep expecting Venus' parents to get an order to bring forth the girls. I also had expected them to file for custody. I think it's going to be an interesting week ahead.

I feel terrible for those little girls in the midst of such uncertainty, and surely missing their momma. :(

I'm sure they miss their dad too. Kids are so forgiving. I have to wonder what they are being told. I also have to wonder if they are afraid of Doug. If the judge doesn't flat out deny Doug's request, he should assign a family investigator to visit with the children as well as observe the children when they are with Doug to see how they interact with one another.

Thank GOD Venus was astute enough to make a recording of Doug's statement about the 357 magnum!

I read Doug is living with his parents. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that house!

Does anyone know when is the last time anyone other than her immediate family saw or spoke to Venus, have the police established that date|time?

Also, the children are in hiding, have the police interviewed them?

thanks.

Does anyone know when is the last time anyone other than her immediate family saw or spoke to Venus, have the police established that date|time?

Also, the children are in hiding, have the police interviewed them?

thanks.

The last person to see Venus was her mother who had coffee with her prior to leaving for work sometime after 6:30 AM. (I don't recall the exact time.)

I do not know if the police have interviewed Venus and Doug's children. I haven't heard or read anything to that effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam