Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 8 *D. Stewart guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug Stewart arraigned in court yesterday for inappropriate sexual contact with daughter!

Thursday’s arraignment resulted from a civil petition brought by the St. Joseph County Prosecutor’s office on behalf of the county’s Department of Human Services that alleges Douglas Stewart engaged in inappropriate sexual contact with at least one of his daughters. That petition is based on claims Venus Stewart brought to authorities while the family was together, living in Virginia, earlier this year.

Court records show the Stewarts had a tumultuous relationship when they lived in Michigan and later when the family moved to Virginia. In a custody action brought by Venus Stewart shortly before her disappearance, she alleged that one daughter told her that Douglas Stewart had engaged the girl in inappropriate sexual contact.

The filing said Venus Stewart immediately left Virginia with the girls and returned to Michigan where she was living with her parents when she was abducted.

Douglas Stewart has denied the sexual abuse allegation in his court filings, claiming his wife manufactured the charge to gain custody. He has also denied any role in Venus Stewart’s disappearance and declined reporters’ requests for comment at Thursday’s court appearance.

So Doug goes to court thinking he is going to get custody of his daughters but instead is arraigned for sexually molesting one of them?

also from the above link:

And police continue to follow tips that place Douglas Stewart in Michigan at the time his wife disappeared, rather than in Virginia, as he has claimed. An impostor was passing himself off as Douglas Stewart at various locations in the Newport News area on the day Venus disappeared, police have said.

so they are still getting tips! that mean people have not forgot and are still coming forward.

also from the above link:

And police continue to follow tips that place Douglas Stewart in Michigan at the time his wife disappeared, rather than in Virginia, as he has claimed. An impostor was passing himself off as Douglas Stewart at various locations in the Newport News area on the day Venus disappeared, police have said.

so they are still getting tips! that mean people have not forgot and are still coming forward.

I pray for her safe return. If that's not possible I pray Venus did not die in vain that her children are safe.
This story is overwhelming sad. But, what a brave mother.

:dance:
I'm highly amused with the fact Doug went to court yesterday hoping to get custody of his daughters
but instead is read the sexual molestation charges against him - arraigned!

I would have loved to see the look on his face! Lol!

Doug! You are so DENIED!

I don't find this amusing at all. A little girl was horribly victimized by someone she trusted and loved.

I'm relieved to hear that we have more time to get to the bottom of this before Doug is allowed to see his kids again. I only wish this outcome had been viable in the Josh S'mores case as well. Regardless of blame or guilt in this case Venus's children are already looking at a pretty rough go of it moving forward, it's best to keep as stable and predictable of a routine as possible for them right now.

Stewart trial set on abuse charge

By Rick Cordes
Staff Writer
Published:
Friday, June 18, 2010 2:11 PM EDT
CENTREVILLE — Douglas Stewart will stand trial in St. Joseph County Juvenile Court on charges of sexual misconduct with one of his young daughters. A pre-trial conference has been set for July 1.

The trial in Juvenile Court is a non-criminal proceeding before a jury of six who decide the case based on a preponderance of evidence.

Stewart, the estranged husband of Venus Stewart, the woman who disappeared on April 26 from her parents’ rural Colon home, was arraigned in St. Joseph County Juvenile Court yesterday afternoon.

“You’ve already requested a trial by jury?” Juvenile Court Judge Thomas Shumaker asked Stewart’s attorneys. “Yes,” replied attorney Kymberly Vogel.

Shumaker, who accepted Stewart’s denial of the charges against him through motions filed by Stewart’s attorneys, also ruled that Stewart’s request for supervised visitation with his two daughters is denied, citing the investigation into Venus’ whereabouts that centers on Douglas as the sole person of interest in what is presumed to be an abduction. No charges have been filed against Douglas Stewart in Venus’ disappearance.

Yesterday’s proceeding stems from a complaint by the St. Joseph County Department of Human Services (DHS) Children’s Protective Services alleging abuse and neglect by Douglas Stewart of his daughter. At a hearing on May 28, Juvenile Court Referee Terry Evans ruled there was sufficient evidence to authorize a petition against Douglas Stewart on the charges alleged by the DHS.

SBM

http://www.threeriversnews.com/articles/2010/06/18/news/local_news/doc4c1b811aa3212259270013.txt

Stewart trial set on abuse charge

By Rick Cordes
Staff Writer
Published:
Friday, June 18, 2010 2:11 PM EDT
CENTREVILLE — Douglas Stewart will stand trial in St. Joseph County Juvenile Court on charges of sexual misconduct with one of his young daughters. A pre-trial conference has been set for July 1.

The trial in Juvenile Court is a non-criminal proceeding before a jury of six who decide the case based on a preponderance of evidence.

Stewart, the estranged husband of Venus Stewart, the woman who disappeared on April 26 from her parents’ rural Colon home, was arraigned in St. Joseph County Juvenile Court yesterday afternoon.

“You’ve already requested a trial by jury?” Juvenile Court Judge Thomas Shumaker asked Stewart’s attorneys. “Yes,” replied attorney Kymberly Vogel.

Shumaker, who accepted Stewart’s denial of the charges against him through motions filed by Stewart’s attorneys, also ruled that Stewart’s request for supervised visitation with his two daughters is denied, citing the investigation into Venus’ whereabouts that centers on Douglas as the sole person of interest in what is presumed to be an abduction. No charges have been filed against Douglas Stewart in Venus’ disappearance.

Yesterday’s proceeding stems from a complaint by the St. Joseph County Department of Human Services (DHS) Children’s Protective Services alleging abuse and neglect by Douglas Stewart of his daughter. At a hearing on May 28, Juvenile Court Referee Terry Evans ruled there was sufficient evidence to authorize a petition against Douglas Stewart on the charges alleged by the DHS.

SBM

http://www.threeriversnews.com/articles/2010/06/18/news/local_news/doc4c1b811aa3212259270013.txt

Good move by Doug and his atty. asking for a jury trial.

Seems all the info they are getting on the abuse charges are coming straight from his daughter.

He can't blame VS for this.

I now more than ever believe when she moved back to MI she was running for her life and for better lives for her children.

To me, this would be even more motive for him harming her. In hopes the sexual abuse allegations would go away after she was gone.

I agree with the poster above who called VS a brave mother.

I pray they find her soon and her girls can get the help they need and DS spends the rest of his life behind bars thinking about what he did to not only his daughters but to their mother.

I have no doubt in my mind he assaulted his daughter and killed his wife.

IMO JMO MOO

Seems all the info they are getting on the abuse charges are coming straight from his daughter.

He can't blame VS for this.

I now more than ever believe when she moved back to MI she was running for her life and for better lives for her children.

To me, this would be even more motive for him harming her. In hopes the sexual abuse allegations would go away after she was gone.

I agree with the poster above who called VS a brave mother.

I pray they find her soon and her girls can get the help they need and DS spends the rest of his life behind bars thinking about what he did to not only his daughters but to their mother.

I have no doubt in my mind he assaulted his daughter and killed his wife.

IMO JMO MOO

I can't imagine it going this far and them still going on just what VS said, so I agree it has to be based on interviews with the little girl. Didn't we hear she was talking to some one in a professional capacity? (Can't remember who!) I also hope they find her (VS) soon and those little girls get the help they need. This can not be an easy time for them! So sad...........

Bumping for Venus.

I hope LE has answers soon so VS can be found.

Praying for all who love her.

I can't imagine it going this far and them still going on just what VS said, so I agree it has to be based on interviews with the little girl. Didn't we hear she was talking to some one in a professional capacity? (Can't remember who!) I also hope they find her (VS) soon and those little girls get the help they need. This can not be an easy time for them! So sad...........

I'm thinking along the same lines. Though if she disclosed to the proper authority- child psych who specializes in that area, why no criminal charges?

Can some explain why this is a civil matter in juvenille court and not criminal court?

TIA

I'm thinking along the same lines. Though if she disclosed to the proper authority- child psych who specializes in that area, why no criminal charges?

Can some explain why this is a civil matter in juvenille court and not criminal court?

TIA

Not sure...but, could it have anything to do with perhaps making it easier on the child? What I mean is.....since she is going through so much right now, maybe the civil case is easier on her?

The standard of proof in civil court is lower.

Very good point. If he is found guilty of inappropriate sexual contact in civil court with one or both of his daughters, can he be ordered to register as a sex offender?

Is Doug Stewart being charged with felony or misdemeanor child abuse?

I'm so sad to see no more progress has been made in finding Venus :(

You know what has me confused? DS is being denied contact with his children for two reasons-one is because there will be a sexual abuse allegation...OK, I get this. But the other is because he is the POI in the abduction of his wife. Uncharged. But he is being treated as guilty.

Natal, the standard of proof may be lower in a civil/family court, but then by requesting a jury trial (speedily) DS' attorney is saying he believes he has nothing to fear. So DS is not worried about 6 citizens reviewing the allegations and making a decision about his conduct with his children. Undoubtedly, Venus's disappearance will come in because if she is the source of the initial complaint, they will need to explain why she is not around.

So the question becomes is he going to be tried for both issues essentially?

Very good point. If he is found guilty of inappropriate sexual contact in civil court with one or both of his daughters, can he be ordered to register as a sex offender?

Is Doug Stewart being charged with felony or misdemeanor child abuse?

Is it a criminal complaint?

You know what has me confused? DS is being denied contact with his children for two reasons-one is because there will be a sexual abuse allegation...OK, I get this. But the other is because he is the POI in the abduction of his wife. Uncharged. But he is being treated as guilty.

Natal, the standard of proof may be lower in a civil/family court, but then by requesting a jury trial (speedily) DS' attorney is saying he believes he has nothing to fear. So DS is not worried about 6 citizens reviewing the allegations and making a decision about his conduct with his children. Undoubtedly, Venus's disappearance will come in because if she is the source of the initial complaint, they will need to explain why she is not around.

So the question becomes is he going to be tried for both issues essentially?

Doug Stewart wasn't worried about how he'd be viewed when he filed for custody of his daughters after purchasing a hat, shovel, tarp and gloves the day before Venus disappeared or when he enlisted an impostor to pose as himself.

In my opinion, it appears Doug Stewart isn't worried about much of anything and thinks he can get away with whatever he does from sexually molesting his daughter to murdering his wife.

Accordingly, anything prosecutors get away with is all fair play!

EDIT: Any legal maneuvers - loopholes - tactics - processes prosecutors can use to stay one step ahead of an apparently narcissistic Doug Stewart is all fair play. Let's see who wins this dreadful game Doug Stewart started.

Doug Stewart wasn't worried about how he'd be viewed when he filed for custody of his daughters after purchasing a hat, shovel, tarp and gloves the day before Venus disappeared or when he enlisted an impostor to pose as himself.

In my opinion, it appears Doug Stewart isn't worried about much of anything and thinks he can get away with whatever he does from sexually molesting his daughter to murdering his wife.

Accordingly, anything prosecutors get away with is all fair play!
I would reword "get away with" for political correctness but I'd agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. There are ways that prosecutors handle having their toes stepped on, as do clerks at the post office or waitresses who don't get a tip. There are always a few perfectly legal things within their job definition that they can use with a little bit of added creativity on their part. :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member