MI MI - Victor Credland, 28, Bedford Township, 14 February 1974

Discussion in '1970's Missing' started by Tuck, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Tuck

Tuck Well-Known Member

*Some of this information is taken from an unverified source, and will be italicised accordingly.

Name - Victor Vaughn Bruce Credland

Last Seen -
    02/14/1974

Missing From -
    Temperance (Monroe County) or Hancock (Houghton County)

Age -

Race -
    White

Sex -
    Male

Hair Color -
    Brown (crew cut-flat top)

Eye Color -
    Brown

Height -

Weight -

Medical Details -
    Missing distal half of index finger on the right hand.

Clothing -
    N/A

Circumstances - According to the Namus file, the missing person was last seen at a residence he was staying at in Temperance (within the confines of Bedford Township), with foul play strongly suspected as the cause of his demise.

The alternate source states that he is originally from the Chatham - Eben Junction area of Alger County, which is much closer to the Hancock location which the second source mentions as his location of disappearance. This source suggests that he disappeared in the Hancock area, but that the missing person report was filed in Temperance, which is possible as both parents were originally from the Alger area according to marriage records (which is comparatively far closer to Bedford Township than Hancock), and the missing persons last known address was in the township. The source also states that he was a merchant marine at the time of disappearance, and was unmarried with no children.

This source appeared on an ancestry website in 2001, which is correlative with someone searching for him as is the presence of a DNA submission on his Namus file. The source states that he had intentions to move to Australia to start a new life, which poses a discrepancy regarding the ruling of foul play.

Sources -
    http://www.inyourgenes.com.au/ancestor_locator.htm#view

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/21910/7

2. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)

According to the genealogy link above Victor went to Eben High School in Eben Junction, MI. Can anyone find a yearbook photo? I struck out with Ancestry. I can't find any records on him at all except that he is in a family tree created on Ancestry. The tree says "Unknown" for his death.

shanda3434 likes this.
  3. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

Victor Vaughn Bruce Credland

Last seen alive: February 13, 1974 at 07:45

Circumstances: Credland was last seen at a residence he was staying at in Bedford Twp. It is believed that there was foul play involved in his disappearance.

First Name: Victor Vaughn
    Middle Name: Vaughn
    Last Name: Credland
    Details
    Age When Last Known Alive: 28
    Race: White
    Sex: Male
    Height: 70.0
    Weight: 160.0
    State: Michigan
    County: Monroe
    Appearance
    Hair: Brown
    Head Hair: Crew cut-flat top
    Eye: Brown
    Clothing and Accessories
    Transportation

Vehicle Make: Ford
    Vehicle Model: 300 Series
    Year: 1965
    Vehicle Color: Green
    Tag Type: Passenger autom
    Tag Number: BKT819
    Tag State: Michigan
    Expiration Year: 1973

LINK:

Victor Vaughn Credland - Michigan Missing Person Directory

4. Fede

Fede Well-Known Member

What made them suspect that there was foul playing involved? I wonder if there is some testimony from the last people that saw him

shanda3434 likes this.
  5. PumaCat

PumaCat New Member

This is a relative of mine through my father. They were cousins. My father referred to him as "Vaughn", I'm not sure if thats the name he went by, but I never heard "Victor" until I searched for him online. He went missing in lower Michigan (Bedford Township), not Hancock. My father told me that Vaughn's family had hired a private detective but he was never located.

StarrChance likes this.
  6. StarrChance

StarrChance Well-Known Member

Does your father have any other information? Any photo of him?

shanda3434 likes this.
  7. PumaCat

PumaCat New Member

Not that I am aware of. I am planning on contacting relatives on that side of the family to do more research. I do know that there is still a detective who is assigned this investigation in Bedford Township. I know Vaughn was a merchant marine, this information is correct so there should be records there. I also know he went missing one night from his apartment and was never seen again (no reports) I’m not sure why foul play was suspected above other causes but am planning to talk with the detective in charge of the case.

StarrChance likes this.
  8. Keiri

Keiri Active Member

9. StarrChance

StarrChance Well-Known Member

10. Keiri

Keiri Active Member

This person isn’t on doe network so I don’t know if they have a dna sample - do you know @PumaCat ?