Mich. police: Boy, 8, spent 10 days with dead mom

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
An 8-year-old boy lived for more than a week with the body of his dead mother before anyone discovered his situation, police said. The woman, 41, apparently died Jan. 9 in their apartment in the Detroit suburb of Romulus, and the boy survived in part by eating dried rice, butter and flour, authorities said.
The boy came into Romulus Liquor in recent days wearing pajama bottoms and buying snacks, store owner Sam Saco told The Detroit News.
Saco said his brother Lee, the store's co-owner, became suspicious Monday when the boy tried to buy soda, flour and doughnuts with his mother's expired credit card.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BOY_DEAD_MOTHER?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

This is so truly sad. I pray for him. I can't imagine being alone with my deceased mother wishing she'd wake up. He must have been so scared and confused to not call authorities.

I was thinking maybe he was a little "slow" ....I'm very surprised he didn't call 911.

Poor kid, musta been awful!

The body changes so much even at room temperature...can imagine a little boy seeing her decay right infront of him, day after day........arghhh heartbreaking!

Oh how sad, I wish I could wrap that child in my arms right now! Bless his heart!

Soooo sad!! I read this from the OP link:
The boy was home-schooled, has no siblings and his father died several years ago, authorities said. The child is in foster care while police try to locate his other relatives, Romulus police Lt. John Leacher said.
His father died, he has no brothers or sisters, and now his mother is gone. That poor boy must feel so alone right now, I hope they are able to place him with a loving family that will provide him with therapy - I can't imagine the abandonment issues he might be facing!! Prayers for him.

Oh I can't even imagine. I bet he was afraid to call police.
My little guy is 8, and it just breaks my heart to hear this. I wonder if he was eating the flour or trying to figure out how to cook something. I know my guy wouldn't eat just plain flour, but he may use it to try to cook something. I guess that's irrelevent but the thought of this poor baby eating just plain flour....words can't express it. I hope he has extended family somewhere that can take him in.

8? This little guy must be suffering from some intellectual or emotional deficiencies. I don't think a "normal" 8yo would do this. It seems more appropriate to 4 years old to me.

8? This little guy must be suffering from some intellectual or emotional deficiencies. I don't think a "normal" 8yo would do this. It seems more appropriate to 4 years old to me.

I agree, but that makes it no less heartbreaking

Considering that he was a Katrina evacuee from LA. it could be that along the way he lost his trust for LE and authority. A very sad thought, but it is the case with some who went through that.

It's hard to say because it sounds like this boy led a fairly insular and isolated life. His behavior may well be very normal given that status and his personality.

I have an 8 year old son and this story really touches me. My prayers for this sweet child.

I believe relatives have come forward now. I found it odd that he did not seek help for such a long time.

I too found it very strange that he didnt get help sooner, my daughter is only 7 and she definitely knows to get help. With that aside I am so heartbroken for him, such tragedy for a little person in a short time.

:( This is such a heart-breaking story. Praying for the little guy.

With his father gone, its possible his mother told him about foster care or threatened him with it and he didnt call because he was afraid he would end up in foster care....
I think he was just very scared not slow at all as some have stated...he was smart enough to go get groceries!

I do find it odd he didn't call 911 right away, yet he may have been in a state of shock. Having been through the horror of Katrina, and then having no relatives aside from his mother and being home schooled, he could have been raised in a semi-state of isolation.

I just found this article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/us/22brfs-BOYSRELATIVE_BRF.html

"Relatives of an 8-year-old boy who spent more than a week in an apartment with the body of his mother have come to Michigan to get him. The boy’s mother, Gaynell Tipado, 41, was found Monday in her apartment in the Detroit suburb of Romulus, where she had moved after being displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Ms. Tipado apparently died Jan. 9. Lt. John Leacher of the Romulus police said that the relatives, from Louisiana, had asked for privacy and that no additional information would be released."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back